[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you guys do flint knapping? I want to start doing it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Any of you guys do flint knapping?

I want to start doing it since I'll be heading to a region with obsidian deposits, and I want to fletch myself a bow and arrows from scratch. I've seen most youtubers use copper tools, but is it possible to use stone only to make fine knapping with?
>>
>>875525
Of course it's possible. I would imagine it's mostly for convenience, as you can standardize and shape your tools in a way that maximizes your efficiency, but we used to do it when we could barely be considered people.
>>
Holy fuck, why is antler so fucking expensive?

Any suggestions for what can be used instead of antler for fine knapping?
>>
>>875564
Protip: During the winter before deer shed their antlers, find a small cluster of small trees growing closely together. Place a mineral or salt block in the middle. As the bucks stick their heads in to get to the salt, their antlers will rub the trees and become loose. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a few good sheds around the base of the trees.
>>
>>875564
Get it at petsmart
>>
Archaeologist here, with some flintknapping experience. I'm not really that great at it, but I know a lot about the mechanics. For some reason, I'm better at pressure flaking than anything else.

>is it possible to use stone only to make fine knapping with
No. You need at least an antler tool or something like it to do pressure flaking. For just making flakes, yes, a normal rock will work fine (I actually prefer it to copper hammerstones). The post above me are good suggestions on how to get antlers; they're not hard to find if you know where to look.

It's a pretty fun skill to learn. Obsidian is good because it flakes easily, but it's also brittle as fuck, which makes it harder to do some things. Glass bottles and porcelain (used floor tiles, toilet lids, etc.) can also be used on the cheap.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.