[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had a strange experience with some bears out in the adirondacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: connie-lemperle-black-bear-web.jpg (150KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
connie-lemperle-black-bear-web.jpg
150KB, 1000x667px
Had a strange experience with some bears out in the adirondacks this past weekend. Wondering if anyone has a good explanation.

Gf and I did an overnight in the pharaoh lake wilderness in the eastern dacks. We set up camp near the lake in a designated primitive tent site and followed all the rules for bear country: cooked more than 100ft from tent, hung all food, pots, and toiletries in a bear hang, finished cooking before dark, etc. We were in the tent by 21:30 and were silent by 22:00. About twenty minutes later, I heard a bear grunt that seemed to be about 30ft away. We remained silent; in all honesty I was petrified. I've had bears come through camp before but they've always been silent. A few minutes later I heard another grunt, this time from the other side of the tent and only about 10 ft away. The bears continued to grunt every 10 minutes or so for the next hour.

Eventually I heard movement right next to the tent and heard what sounded like a bear exhaling. It would occasionally brush up next to the tent, sometimes running its paw or face along the rain fly. My gf and I didn't dare make a sound. This went on ALL NIGHT until the sun came up.

I decided not to alert the bears to our presence because it seemed like very strange behavior and I wasn't sure if there were cubs near by. My plan was to remain silent unless the bears started trying to come into the tent, in which case I would start clapping and making noise. If they didn't stop, I only had my mora to defend myself; we were probably gonna get ate.

What the hell happened? We didn't have any food. Shouldn't they have left after not finding anything? Their time could have been better spent looking for food elsewhere but they chose to fuck with us all night instead.
>>
"Hey Dave, what the fuck is this shit we just walked into?"

"Fuck if I know Bill, but I can smell some of those hoo-mans inside this weird standing-den."

"Oh, they dead?"

"Nah, I can smell a bit of fear on 'em. God damn, this den-thing feels good to rub my face on though."

"Cool mate, let's just hang here for a bit then continue on."
You're REALLY overthinking this, Anon.
>>
>>874477
"Dave I smell pussy."
"Me too, a nice bloody one!"

No reason to think at all.
>>
>>874461
Pic related? Black bear? Blackies I don't really worry about them. Try not to get spooked. If the weather's good I just sleep with my cot, sleeping bag, and a pistol by the fire. I woke up once to dead branches on the ground snapping and him slurping from the pond near by. Woke me up, knew what that it was him. Got a glimpse but just put my pistol over my cheast and went back to sleep. He carried on. Most of the time op, they really don't give a fucking shit if the whole forest hears them. Their not that stealthy.
You can always bring them in with smells you're not aware of not just food.
>>
>>874477
>>874482
>>874490

But they hung out all night! Over 8 hours of fucking around our tent. So bizarre. Maybe they were wendigos.
>>
>>874496
I will agree that would bug me, too. But...just one of those things. Gotta listen, think, and not freeze up if need be. Also, I assume you had a gun?
>>
>>874461

Dude I was I was at Pharaoh Lake too on Saturday evening to Sunday morning and also had a strange bear experience. Me and the senpai hung out food up about 20 feet. I wake up at 3am having to take a piss and hear the bear grunt and rustling. About 15 mins later I hear splashing in water for like the next 15 mins. I assumed the bear ate all the food and then went to go take a bath. Fucking kek. Scared a shit so I leaned over the side of my hammock and pissed out of it on my socks by accident.
>>
>>874499
Negative. No bear spray either. Do you really need them in black bear country?

>>874506
I called up the wildlife board and asked them about it, and they said it's been a particularly dry season and the bears are extra hungry. Was your food gone by the morning? Ours was untouched but I had it at least 30 ft in the air. I was on the west side of the lake about 1/4 mile north of the trail that leads to pharaoh mountain.
>>
>>874509
Not really but I have a gun anyway. Lol. Nothing is for sure man. I hear great things about bear spray and everything suggest you're safer using bear spray. Assuming Murphy's law doesn't send a random gust of wind and cuck you. I'm old school and feel fine with my 44magnum. People have been killed by lost of different animals. Blackies are the best bear to be around if you stand your ground. Their very much not risk takers.
>>
File: go_be_fat_somewhere_else.jpg (52KB, 562x434px) Image search: [Google]
go_be_fat_somewhere_else.jpg
52KB, 562x434px
>>874509
>Do you really need them in black bear country?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#2010s

why not? also useful for coyotes, dogs, coons, hippies, etc
>>
>>874522
>packs a hand cannon to go outdoors for rustling leave noises.

You probably use a night light at home and check the closet for monsters too amiright?
>>
>>874530
>rustling leave noises
irl
>shit that would ruin my outing
There is really no reason not to. 99% of the time it wont even be fired, but its just part of being prepared.
>>
>>874514
>Blackies are the best bear to be around
one must add that the majority of predatory attacks by bears on humans is black bears tho.
you are just way less fucked than if a grizzly or polar finds you appetizing.
>>
>>874612
nothing worng with keeping a gun at hand just in case so long you don't shoot your own shadow and every bear that just gives you signals of worry and to fuck off.
>>
Bears are curious, and also kind of idiots. They just chilled at the camp and since you didn't make a sound of distress, continued to chill? I'd try and make a sound perhaps. They know you're in there.
>>
>>874530
The likelihood of needing the gun is terribly low but the consequences of needing the gun and not having one are basically infinite in that being eaten by a bear is not something you can walk off.
A gun is more important than toilet paper or food. You'll want both in your trip but you won't die if you don't have them.
>>
>>874660
i never bring toilet paper wtf?
>>
>>874668
>i never bring toilet paper wtf?

river shitter master race
>>
>>874461
>If they didn't stop, I only had my mora to defend myself

All of this would just be another cool story instead of some moment of great concern if you'd get a fucking gun already.
>>
>>874687
no it's just something i don't particularly look forward to: awkwardly shitting in the woods.
if i have to go paper tissues work perfectly fine.
>>
>>874509
>Do you really need them in black bear country?
>Implying my guns are intended to protect myself from bears and not tweakers
>>
>>874863
Drug addicts don't go hiking...
>>
>>874618
That's only because black bears outnumber brown bears by 10:1, and live in areas with much greater human population.

All things considered, black bears are significantly less dangerous than brown bears.
>>
>>874660
Long guns have been shown to have the same effective rate of deterring am aggressive bear as doing nothing. 79% of the time they work.

Hand guns have about the same effective rate. 84% of the time.

Bear spray is 99% effective.

Inb4 source, Google it yourself.
>>
>>874997
interesting insight i guess. so black bears attack humans for predatory reasons more likely because they are less likely to attack from defensive reasons as they are cowards?
>>
>>875000
Black bears almost never attack for defense, even when their cubs are around.
>>
>>874509

Our food was still hanging. We were on the east side just above the peninsula.
>>
File: A709-Bear-picnic-table.jpg (151KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
A709-Bear-picnic-table.jpg
151KB, 650x434px
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.