[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How have you prepared for loss of satellite navigation systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: meirl.jpg (442KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
meirl.jpg
442KB, 1920x1080px
How have you prepared for loss of satellite navigation systems in a SHTP scenario?
>>
I have a compass
>>
>>872912
Local maps?
>>
>>872913
Of course. Printed on Tyvek.
>>
I have no pity for people with shitty sense of direction.
>>
>>872912
And what if a geomagnetic reversal is occurring?
>>
>>872918
It isn't, but if it does, Polaris.
>>
>>872926
It went super nova a decade ago. Now what.
>>
>>872928
In that case we won't even notice until 400 years from now, so we're good.
>>
>>872928
I know my constellations, I know where it should be even if it isn't there.
>>
File: snoop.jpg (46KB, 650x923px) Image search: [Google]
snoop.jpg
46KB, 650x923px
>>872906
I don't use gps.

I'm oldschool.
>>
>>872906
>Compass
>Solar recharge pad
>DJI Mavic Pro for advanced scouting in a 4 mile radius
(solar pad for mavic and other gadgets)
>>
I really dont ever get how this is an issue unless you live in your parents basement and NEVER explore your surroundings.

I probably know a good 400 mile radius by heart from where I am now.. one of those directions must be in the direction of safety if the SHTF.

Or are you all planning on being nomads and roaming for 1000's of miles... which is highly doubtful.
Soon as you find decent shelter and a food / water resource you know you are going to sit your fat ass down on a hickory stump.

I know I didnt cover every scenario.. but I dont want to read about your "what if..." retorts.
>>
Wouldn't knowing the basic topography on your country pretty much solve any directional issues?
I mean... we have signs literally fucking everywhere thanks to through hikers marking trails.
Follow rivers to towns, ask the locals for directions, travel that way, get lost, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>873010
>know a good 400 mile radius by heart
Why do you lie anon?
>>
>>873015
>going to towns in SHTF scenario
>>
>>872906

Lots of maps and a compass. It's my go to, I've never used GPS while out.
>>
>>873018
Maybe anon is one of those autists that remembers literally everything they see. Or maybe he's just a faggot.
>>
File: 1397196352313.jpg (4KB, 250x231px) Image search: [Google]
1397196352313.jpg
4KB, 250x231px
>>873010
>>873018
>>
>>872906
>Can you read a map and compass?

Yes, I can read a map and compass. It's a basic hiking skill.
>>
At least a compass. It's real easy to end up lost if you depend on gps and then something happens to it. I don't pay attention to where I am as much as I should when using it
>>
>>875137
>friend starts using gps all the time for driving
>can't drive more than two blocks without it
>get's lost in parking garages
I don't want to sound like a cranky luddite but I've noticed heavy gps users' sense of direction seems to regress.
>>
>>875139
You are not a luddite if the technology is a bit shit and aids in removing intellect. We are using computers and the internet after all. Using GPS for cars is like scooping out part of your brain. If you don't use it, you lose it.
>>
File: walcott-burgess-map.jpg (78KB, 665x466px) Image search: [Google]
walcott-burgess-map.jpg
78KB, 665x466px
>>872906
>topo maps, good compass & protractor, ranger beads
>>
I never get lost. I'm not even joking. I have been in the woods with people who had no idea where they were and I have been able to lead us out each time without problem just by paying attention to my surroundings.

I legitimately don't think I'll ever get lost. Even when I was paying attention I easily found my way around without having to reference anything. I don't get it.
>>
>>875179
You still won't be able to navigate to a location.
>>
>>872918
Sun, anthills, stars, good familiarity with region I reside in.
>>
Is there electronic device that can locate based off stars?
>>
>>875187
>electronic device
If sat nav is down, the causative event may well kill electronics in the region also. Google high altitude nuclear explosion.
>>
>>875289
In case of a nuclear event you could have hardened electronics or store them in a faraday cage.
Or the satellites may have been taken down by conventional missiles.
Or the civilian GPS signal may have been shut off for unknown time due to major conflict.
>>
>>875291
Sure, maybe lots of things could happen. How many people do you know who have hardened electronics or store their electronics in a faraday cage? I only know one: myself. I have a cellphone with handy apps (offline map, compass, knot/splice tutorials) and a shitload of PDFs and infographics wrapped up in a faraday cage, with the battery in a separate one. I also have a stocked go-bag and am in the process of making a couple hammocks. I also keep a running supply of jerky and fruit leather. I'm currently looking to buy an ar7 (breakdown .22lr) for shooting small game, already have a bow for dat quiet "thwip" takedown if there are hostiles in the area and I need to keep my position secure.
>>
>>875305
Honestly it seems much more likely they get taken out conventionally or it's shut off.
A nuke risks knocking out other satellites and missile tech lets you hit the satellites accurately nowadays so you don't need a huge explosion.
If GPS is getting nuked I'm probably dead anyways.
>>
I have a secret bread crumb trail leading to my school, my parent's house and the US military shelter, if i ever need to find any of those places i can just eat the trail i left
>>
>>873018
Not him but obviously hyperbole.

I know a solid dozen places to go without need of a map within 30 miles should my home where all my food is stored not be adequate shelter for some reason.

Seriously don't understand why you retards think leaving the shelter you live in day to day that houses all yer belongings and food is something that's going to need to happen in 99.99% of all shtf situations. Only reason I'd leave is to go to a freinds hose likely. I mean seriously, something bad happens so now humanity has to abandon the perfectly sound shelter of the buildings we've built and live under tarps away from structures. Are the buildings on my farm going to turn into zombies?
>>
>>872906
I don't use a GPS in daily life so I don't see how that would affect me.
>>
I don't use GPS. I have an analogue map and a compass,
>>
>>872906
I have been using protractor and map my whole life, this is one of the reasons why people are willing to drag my fatass with them.
>>
>>875312
The location of your home is on The List.
>>
>>875185
>anthills

Go on...
>>
>>872906

Compass
I know how to find north by the stars and the sun
Light Infantry officer training
Bug out bag stuff at my house
I'm a mean motherfucker
>>
>he doesn't live an a desert so nondescript you need a sextant to figure out where the fuck you are
Luck you I guess.
>>
>>875291
>Or the civilian GPS signal may have been shut off for unknown time due to major conflict.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
It is only relatively recent that the selective availability-coding for GPS was removed. Now, depending on what kind of HAPPENING you're envisioning (WWIII, government coming to take you to the FEMA death camps, zombies, hurricane) GPS may or may not be available at all, only available to some, or lacking serious precision.
I don't mean to tip my tin foil hat at you, but a good rule of thumb is to keep in mind that GPS is maintained by the US air force, so you might do well to remember which side they would be on in the event of a HAPPENING.

On the topic, I won't notice much of GPS failing, as I do all my navigating with map and compass anyway.
>>
>>875811
Do modern handhelds support GLONASS? Not sure what coverage it has or Galileo will have.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.