[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much bullion do you keep in your bugout bag, /out/? Is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 293
Thread images: 41

File: ubs 1oz gold bar.jpg (32KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
ubs 1oz gold bar.jpg
32KB, 450x450px
How much bullion do you keep in your bugout bag, /out/?

Is it in standard 1oz bars or do you favor a smaller denomination?
>>
For those of you who don't know, in an apocalypse, gold will be the most likely currency as it is extremely rare and cannot be replicated.

I would prefer to carry a few bars if I had the money.
>>
>>871842
Also because paper money becomes worthless if the institution (government) guaranteeing its value collapses, while gold is physical and eternal (barring nuclear transmutation).

You may have heard the story about Niels Bohr and the Nobel prize medals in solution.
>>
>>871842
It will also devalue heavily as its gonna turn into the next common currency
>>
>>871842
The first most likely replacement 'currency' will be labor, food, and tools. Actually, quality hand tools will likely become extremely valuable once the supplies of processed petroleum run out. Animals too perhaps.

Gold and silver may eventually come to be utilized as a sort of common exchange after this stage of utilitarian trade. Eventually I'm going to want a way to trade my work for something that I can then readily trade for tools or animals. But this will be a while I think.

Gold and silver held value in older economies because the basic needs -food production, trades, etc- were more or less commonly available, and so the next tier of desirability was luxury goods; ie, things made of precious metals.

In a TEOTWAKI scenario where contingencies are overwhelmed and we are forced back to an agrarian world, we will not find ourselves in an evolutionary stage of economy where the aforementioned necessities are a given. We will find ourselves in a reset, where we first have to develop those necessities.

So I do think it's good to have some metals as both a portfolio holding and a contingency but, it is far more important to have tradable goods and useful skills. Once the dust settles, these will be the first building blocks of new communities and economies.
>>
>>871856
You're assuming a scenario where both society and all technology stops working.

Isn't it far more likely that a lot of modern things like factories, machines and computers are preserved, even infrastructure to some extent, but only the SOCIAL structures like that give stability and a value for money - that is, states, politics, diplomacy - crumbles? That like WW2 Europe or 90s Russia, people are still going about their lives in some form, only in a far more dangerous and unstable environment?
>>
>>871861
Yeah I guess I did sort of assume OP was talking about a more extreme scenario.

With social collapse I do wonder just how much infrastructure would keep working, or how long it would take to get it back. But in that case where we just see a massive re-ordering of 'how things work around here', then yeah, precious metals could become the next currency as sort of a 'step back' to the next most familiar thing to us after the loss of a fiat currency.
>>
File: 1475646804514.jpg (1MB, 1504x2964px) Image search: [Google]
1475646804514.jpg
1MB, 1504x2964px
>>871842

Gold is nice, if it is a shtf that lasts any thing more than a couple weeks. Ppl rather have booze, lighters, guns, ammo, food.

Here is a story of a guy who got stuck in a shtf for like a yr.
>>
>>871872

Here is another story, this time a guy surviving during Katrina.

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16627
>>
>>871861

if anything happens to the power grid most of those things are rendered useless, and without the social structures maintaining it if it hasn't already failed due to whatever caused The End it will degrade
>>
>>871841
only about six cubes, enough to make a few cups of broth if I've got nothing else to eat, or to make soups.
>>
I've got 2 1oz silver bars that I consider bringing with me.

I also go with chicken bullion because that's good for both fish, veggie, and beef dishes.
>>
>>871841
bottlecaps dumbass
>>
>>871897
DAE anyone le fallout? XDD
>>
>>871841
>people wasting thousands of dollars on useless metal. The next currency will be food, ammo, shelter and water. Because the next fuck up in civilization will be out last.
>>
File: IMG_0327.jpg (152KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0327.jpg
152KB, 440x440px
>>871965
>he don't want to look icy af for the end
>>
File: maxresdefault.gif (352KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.gif
352KB, 1280x720px
>>871841
Gold and gemstones (re: NOT diamonds) as jewelry.
Silver as bars and coins.
Lead to defend them.

Reason being - when traveling across boarders your jewelry is less likely to be confiscated because you can claim they are heirlooms with sentimental value. Many first-world countries prohibit their governments from confiscating jewelry for this reason.

Also, silver will be much more useful for day-to-day transactions seeing as it's more abundant and less valuable than gold yet still considered precious and cannot be replicated.

To answer your question - I would pack 10x 10ozt bars, 5x 5ozt bars, 80x 1ozt rounds (coins with no face value), all of my junk silver (pre-1964 quarters and dimes), and at least 250 rounds of ammo if SHTF was the issue.
>>
>>871988
Also - the Gold purity "Karat" system:

>24 karat gold is 24/24 parts pure gold - 99.99% pure.

>20 karat gold is 20/24 parts pure gold, 4/24 parts other metals (usually copper for wear-resistance, silver to lighten the color, zinc because it's cheap, or nickle because it's cheap) - 83.33% pure

>18 karat gold is 18/24 parts pure gold - 75% pure

>14 karat gold is 14/24 parts pure gold - 58.33% pure

>12 karat gold is 12/24 parts pure gold - 50% pure

>10 karat gold is 10/24 parts pure gold - 41.66% pure

Don't waste your time with plated gold or silver.
>>
>>871988
>>871990
A few last things regarding coins and silver:

>Pre-1964 silver coins are 90% silver and 10% copper

>Some half-dollars after 1964 are silver, but the purity is 40% silver and 60% copper for post-1964 half dollars.

>Pre-1933 gold coins are 90% gold and 10% copper

>Sterling Silver is 92.5% pure silver

>American Gold Eagles are not pure, their composition is 91.67% Gold (22 karat), 3% Silver, 5.33% Copper

>Pre-1982 pennies are 95% copper and 5% zinc. Post-1982 pennies are 99% zinc, 1% copper (copper-plated zinc). Some 1982 pennies are 95% copper, some are 99% zinc. You can hear the penny ring when you flip it if it's 95% copper.

If I remember anything else I'll come back and post it but I think that covers the basics.
>>
Wow.
Just wow.

In ANY serious shtf scenario, tampons will have more value than a gold bar.

When people are just trying to survive, some hunk of metal will have the value of... a hunk of metal.

Seriously stop an think about it.
>be innawoods
>meet some friendly people
>one of them offers you an ounce of gold for half your ammo
>a week later someone else offers you 10 ounces of silver for 1/2 of your food

If you took either deal you'd be an idiot.
Would you really care about some "precious" metal when you're trying to stay alive?
A month later you have no food, guns, ammo or supply's, but you're "rich" because you traded everything for 20 pounds of shiny baubles.
>>
>>871984
>ice
Diamonds are fucking worthless.
>>
>>871841
None. I just keep several rolls of mercury dimes.
>>
>>871841
You're better off stockpiling drugs and medicine. Darknet stuff that people really want.
>>
>>871841
1 oz silver bars will be more easily tradeable for small things like bullets and potassium iodide
>>
>>872061
Precious metals aren't really for when SHTF, they're for after SHTF has died down. PMs don't spoil or rust and have a wide variety of industrial uses which makes them an excellent store of value.

Your day-to-day currency DURING a SHTF scenario will be drugs, food, tampons, wet-naps, soap, clothing, and ammo - so it makes sense to stokpile or learn how to make these from raw materials. Very few people will trade PMs during SHTF, but AFTERWARD if you're holding any PMs you will likely live like royalty for a generation or two.

>>872060
>mercury dimes
Just to clarify for the plebs, they're 90% silver dimes with the Roman God Mercury on them. They are NOT made of mercury.
>>
>>872066
Actually, it's the god Libertas. People just confused it with mercury due to the phrygian cap.
But yeah, silver dimes. Also keep a couple of silver quarters.
>>
If shit Hits the Fan You would pay 1kg of Gold for a Bit of drinking water and potatoes.
It will be worthless in a World without rules. Why trade with you if they can just kill you and take it then?
>>
>>872068
>Actually, it's the god Libertas
After a bit of research I found this to be correct. You learn something new every day, thanks anon!

>>872070
>It will be worthless in a World without rules.
Not true - thousands of years ago when the world was "without rules" gold, silver, and furs were the currency and it helped our lawless ancestors achieve order in their respected markets.

>Why trade with you if they can just kill you and take it then?
You're assuming those amassing silver and gold are ONLY amassing silver and gold. Those smart enough to store their value in silver and gold bullion are usually smart enough to protect them with lead bullion (re: ammo)
>>
>>871841
Found the hebrew
>>
>>872084
>You learn something new every day, thanks anon!
Anytime, famalam.
>>
>>872084
Gold and silver were only used within a prosperous society with massive governments.
You didnt have joe blow mining gold and stamping out coins to trade his neighbor for a chicken., instead he traded a ham hock for that chicken.

Dont forget that gold and silver have a lot of weight.
Are you really going to sacrifice bag space that could have been used for ammo or canned food to haul around gold?

Seeds, livestock and tools will have value, gold and silver will not.
How much food does a single person eat in an average week?
Do you think in a shtf scenario that everything will be back to normal in less than a month?
If you survived on a can of chili and a can of corn a day, that's 60 cans per month.
What do yo think the trade value will be?
Do you think I'll give you a months worth of my food for an ounce of gold?
Nope.
I'll give you one meal, that's it.

Enjoy using those gold bars as a pillow over the winter, you'll be dead by the spring thaw.
>>
>>872084
This World had rules.
If the World breaks down there will be no King/government or somehting that will be the police.
I would honestly just rob you.
But Gold doesnt have any value, only the one we give it to it. No edible, nothing good to construct things.
If a new government gets established it will get value again.
>>
>>872095
Actually gold is really useful in a lot of stuff because it doesn't oxidize.

But I somewhat agree, if there is some apocalypse scenario, gold and silver won't be worth much in the beginning. An ounce of gold won't get you $1500 worth of ammo at current prices. But I think it will still have value and will be used as a currency if people get past the start of the shit hitting the fan while people try and rebuild and the ones with gold and silver will be very lucky compared to those with millions of dollars invested in companies that don't exist anymore.

But I don't care. If SHTF, I'm not staying around. I'm buying a bunch of Heroin and gonna OD so I don't have to deal with all of that bullshit.
>>
>>872066
if SHTF if someone knows you have PM
you are fucked say goodbye to your life
never draw attention to you
you will not live like royalty
>>
>>872093
>>872095
>>872097
>You didnt have joe blow mining gold and stamping out coins to trade
>Enjoy using those gold bars as a pillow over the winter, you'll be dead by the spring thaw.
>If the World breaks down there will be no King/government or somehting that will be the police.
>If a new government gets established it will get value again.
>if SHTF if someone knows you have PM
Reading comprehension, anons. PMs are for AFTER SHTF. Why would you tell anyone you had them in a lawless society?

>This World had rules.
That's why I put "without rules" in quotes - not that there were no rules but that they were harder to enforce without modern technology.
>>
Why the hell do people think of an outright apocalypse when talking about gold or silver? if the current international monetary system collapses, which it has done multiple times in the past 100 years, and it will happen again. if you have no gold or silver, or any physical asset, which is the case for your typical faggot on 4chan, then you aint got shit to talk about either way.

Here are the fact, interest rates are the lowest in hundreds of years and the bond market is the biggest it's ever been in the entire history of U.S.A.
>>
340 ounces of silver in bars from 250gram to 1KG. Many silver ounce coins. Been collecting since 2012 and planning on getting much more
>>
>>872114
>imblyign we have bonds or stocks or anything beyond the $38 in our checking accounts
>>
>>872108
>after shtf
So... After society has been rebuilt and is underway again, you think that a pound of gold will buy you everything?

Farms are able to send shipments to stores.
Manufacturers are making Levis and nikes again.
Refinery's are filling fuel trucks for delivery's.
The tax guy at the local H&R block is in his office.
The local Golds Gym is open.
Linemen are out fixing power lines....

If society is functioning enough for gold to have value again-
>#1- I already robbed Ft. Knox.
>#2-My neighbor looted ever jewelry store within 200 miles.
>#3- 99.9% of people didn't have any gold and are already using a different form of currency.

So either society is up and running quickly, or its years/decades until you're not scrounging for a single meal.

Gold is for amateur investors and (((shills))).

Tampons will have more value than gold.
CB radios will have more value than gold.
Gasoline will have more value than gold.
Ammunition will have more value than gold.
>>
>>872114
>Why the hell do people think of an outright apocalypse when talking about gold or silver?
they're obsessed with zombie movies
>>
>>872066
I get the other stuff, but tampons seems silly. They're a fairly recent invention. Diva cups or hell, a rag you can wash, are probably going to be used more than tampons. Then again, you might be able to fool stupid people into thinking they need them.

Personally I think skills are more important. If you know how to distill alcohol, make brandy or vodka, you're going to have a constant supply of a good that will always be in demand.
>>
>>872123
There's clearly no persuading you that gold and silver are excellent stores of value, despite history's examples. God speed, anon.

>>872126
Tampons have more uses than just soaking up blood.

>Personally I think skills are more important.
Couldn't agree more - that's why i included "...learn how to make these from raw materials"
>>
>>872126
>single teenage male whos never lived with a woman besides his mother detected.

Center fire cartridges are a recent invention too.
I guess you don't really need those either- you could do just fine with a flintlock.
>>
>>872128
Go ahead and post historical evidence from any point in time where society collapsed and those with gold benefitted.
>>
>>872135
>where society collapsed and those with gold benefitted
Way to move the goal posts, buddy.
>>
>>872138
That's exactly what this discussion is about.
If shtf is minor, then paper currency will still be used.
Moderate or severe and people won't give a rats ass about currency. It will be about staying alive.

People who believe gold will have value are in a fantasy world.
This isn't the 12th century.
The average person would rather have an iPod than a gold necklace.
Technology has value, elemental metals are trivial ornamentation.
>>
>>872123
>this

gold/silver is more of a hedge against currency devaluation
>>
>>872130
No. I'm a 24 year old woman. That's why I know about diva cups. Tampons are pretty unnecessary. Hell, they're more likely to give you toxic shock syndrome or fuck with your vaginal chemistry.

You sound more like a teenage boy who has only been around incredibly prissy women.
>>
>>872149
K
>>
>>872149
You know gold is used in tech, right?
>>
>>872155
>freebleeding liberal degenerate detected
>>
>>872126
>>872155
True, cups are superior in regular times, but possibly not in a situation where you don't have plumbing and are eating off paper plates cause you can't wash dishes
>>
>>872155
I've met women like you.
I'll bet the interior of your car looks like the dumpster behind 7-11.
Your hygiene is on par with a New York sewer rat.
>>
>>872168
Don't know what made you so salty, son. All because your tampon plan is shit.
>>
>>872166
You can easily wash it in some water. Doesn't have to be drinking water. Same with a rag. Wash it like you would wash your laundry.

I only do this during emergencies, but a lot of women just use toilet paper as a pad. It works fine for them if they don't want to blow money on tampons. A rag would work just as well. Your grandparents used rags. Their grandparents did as well.

I really don't see what the fascination is with tampons. I use them, but I could just as easily use something else. Tampons will not be a form of currency unless you can trick people into thinking they're important.
>>
>>872164
So is platinum and vanadium.
Gold is in such miniscule amounts that a shipping vessel stuffed full of electronics would recycle down to an ingot I could put in my pocket.
So gold would have value, after manufacturing was up and running again.

Precious metals only have value in a prosperous society.

For anybody that thinks gold and/or silver has value in a shtf scenerio-

Explain under what circumstances you would trade what you have for an ounce of gold.
What would have the value of an ounce of gold.

Since you believe that you would be able to trade your bullion for something, that implies others would be willing to trade their bullion to you- and you would accept.
Your ideology fails unless this is an acceptable scenario.
>>
>>872177
Exactly. Usable goods and services will be more important. You'd need to put more effort into protecting your chickens, if you're lucky enough to have some, than protecting your gold. If it gets bad enough that people start killing each other, you'd be better off if you had a skill that they see as useful than offering them your gold for your life. A collection of books full of valuable skills would be worth more than gold. Hunting, farming, gathering, distilling, carpentry, all these skills would be much more valuable than precious metals. PM values would take a nose dive right quick if SHTF
>>
I'm curious what you think that ounce of gold will buy you.
Do you expect to walk into some town, and a shopkeeper will give you half his inventory for it?

Let's say shtf tomorrow.
Let's say that ounce of gold is worth $1,000 today.
Let's say a box of 9mm rounds is $20 today.
Do you think that tomorrow you would be able to trade that ounce of gold for 50 boxes of 9mm?
Would you trade YOUR 50 boxes of ammo to someone for their ounce of gold?

Hell no.
That gold might get you a half a box.

>b-but its for after, when society is rebuilding.
By then you either survived and prospered, or died.
>>
>ITT: armchair survivalists
>>
>>872198
Just like my "prepper" neighbors.
>buy property saying "fuck the grid"
>buy $5k solar setup.
>spend a few thousand more on a wind turbine
>still can't run A/C
>battery's from solar setup constantly go dead (lol, 50+ inches of rain a year and all the cloud cover to go with it).
>call power company and get service pole installed.

Most people are dreamers with no understanding of reality.
>>
>>871869

I hear a lot about this "I wonder if" stuff. Almost all of the scenarios you preppers come up with have happened in real life at some point in modern history in places all over the world, and it's almost never like what you prepfucks imagine it to be like.

Do some actual research.
>>
File: haha.jpg (25KB, 625x322px) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
25KB, 625x322px
>>871880
>>
>>872048

Exactly. What the fuck can you do with gold if you're struggling to eat? If you can't use it, it has no value.
>>
>>872066

So the real plan then should be to find a way to jew the fuck out of everyone by trading water for jewellery without getting robbed, then live like a fucking king afterwards, much like some of the nazis tried to do
>>
>>872247
>Exactly. What the fuck can you do with knives if you're struggling to stay warm? If you can't use it, it has no value.
>>
>>872253
A knife can be used to skin an animal hide.
You can use that hide to keep yourself warm or trade it to someone who is cold.
If you're in a situation where people are having difficulty staying warm, are you going to trade your extra hide for gold- or something useful like food or ammo?

Think about it for 5 minutes and be honest.
>>
>>872257
>surplus for food
I wouldn't trade a non-perishable for a perishable, and if the ammo is steel instead of brass I ain't trading for that, either.
>>
File: Bic lighters.jpg (25KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bic lighters.jpg
25KB, 320x400px
>>871841

If the SHTF so severally that money is no longer of value, gold won’t be of value either.

You can’t eat gold, you can’t cook with gold, you can’t shoot a rabbit with gold and thus nobody is going to trade items of actual value for a chunk of useless metal.

Buy a 50-pack of Bic lighters and toss that in your bug-out bag, if you want something to trade.
>>
>>872271
A few boxes of matches and a box of ziplock bags would be more cost effective.
>>
>>871872
This story is long confirmed fraudulent.
I'm embarrassed you're sharing it. Google a bit.
>>
>>872280
Yeah but it made me think of how that kind of shit is happening in Syria right now. Towns completely cut off with bombardments targeted at hospitals and the like. I don't see that kind if thing happening in America, but it's happening over there.
>>
File: le Combi Bar.jpg (551KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
le Combi Bar.jpg
551KB, 1200x800px
>>872048
>Would you really care about some "precious" metal when you're trying to stay alive?

Of course.

Protip-- In a real world collapse (not something you fantasized) in a real collapse, if you have no gold, you starve to death (absent charity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubJp6rmUYM
>>
>>872271

This
>>
>>872271
>>872290
>If the SHTF so severally that money is no longer of value, gold won’t be of value either.

Paper money has "lost all value" a thousand times, in a thousand places throughout all history 5,000 years back.

Gold? Yeah still waiting for that big crash. Good luck with your backpack full of lighters, should be able to exchange it for one power bar. I'll give you one ounce of silver for the lighters and the backpack.
>>
>>872288
I have 15 acres.
I'll be trading green beans to my neighbor for his apples.
When you show up with gold I'm going to laugh at you. I might sell you a jar of green beans for an ounce of gold, just because I can melt it down for fishing weights.
And when you're out of gold, you'll starve to death because you're incapable of fending for yourself.

Too bad you spent all that effort rat holing gold away instead of buying land, cattle, chickens and ammo.
>>872292
You'll be lucky to get one lighter for that chunk of silver.

People won't just give away useful items for "precious" metals just because YOU still claim it has worth.

Do you people really think you'll trade metal bars for actual useful items and build some empire?
Do you honestly think that you'll get anywhere near face value for your gold/silver?

Is a farmer going to give you a cow for that bar of gold?
A chicken for a bar of silver?

No.
Because he knows he can trade that chicken for a gallon of gas to run his generator. Then he can use his welder to fix his plow.
What is that chunk of silver going to do for him?
Nothing.
>>
>in 1933, at the height of the Great Depression, the U.S. Government, under the Gold Confiscation Act, confiscated gold money from its citizens...

>It became illegal for individuals to own gold, except for small quantities that coin collectors and dental practitioners could hold.

Ya, theres no downside to hoarding gold....
>>
>>872306
In a real collapse (North Korea, Zimbabwe, list goes on) you lose your farm in the first five minutes. Now what have you got? Besides hunger and emaciation? And a backpack full of lighters?

I'm already on my way to the border, with gold in the backpack, and your cattle is just a memory for you. You go on your fantasies of "how it would go" I'll go on history.

In all of history, nobody ever went hungry who had gold. If you have gold people will bring you food from hundreds of miles away.

I wish there was a collapse one day, so I could laugh at cucks like you as you starve.
>>
>>872311
>Ya, theres no downside to hoarding gold....

Your comment proves the timeless value of gold. Through all history, men have fought, killed and died for gold. The thief Rooseveldt was just one in an endless list of gold thieves through history.

Only cucks and fools turned in their gold anyway. And he never sent the army door to door to steal it, he just closed the banks and plundered the people's gold out of the banks.

People are willing to kill and die for gold, and retards think gold will "lose its value" in a ......... whatever?
>>
>>872316
Hahaha
So now you're going to run to a foreign country and expect them to treat you like a god because you have some gold?
You'll be hanging from a bridge on the first day.

You think the military will come and confiscate my land and livestock, but in the same breathe you think they'll let you go on your way with a bag full of gold?

You're so delusional that its painful.
>>
>>872280

It still gives an example that by many ppl who have gone through that shit, will confirm crap like that is real, so fuck off retard. Why not Google and learn what the fuck you're talking about, before opening your cocktail sucking mouth.
>>
>>872331
>You think the military will come and confiscate my land and livestock

>You think
>You think

You have only your imagination and fantasies. I'm going on history. In a real takeover, your land is appropriated in the first five minutes.

>People with gold.
>Going hungry........

Still looking for that long list of people

>Farmers who have been BTFO by new and/or changed governments

Thousands and thousands of cases you can't even count them. Good luck Mr. Kulak.
>>
>>872339
If the shtf scenario is that bad, you'll have your throat cut for that bag of gold at the first checkpoint you come to.
And yet you still haven't defended that.

Using historical data from third world countries to TRY to prove your point is pathetic.
>>
>>872316
>nobody ever went hungry who had gold
Those people were very wealthy and had a VAST QUANTITY of gold.

Some peon with 5 ounces hidden in his colon will survive for an extra week on the black market.
Someone with guns, ammo, land and livestock will survive indefinitely.

If I lose my land, you'll lose your gold. And we'll both be at the mercy of some tyrant. There's no magical way you keep your gold stockpile, this isn't some great escape movie.

If my land and livestock are obliterated- then you starve to death and get buried with your gold.

How much gold do you think will matter in a real shtf scenario where I lose everything?
Will you get through a checkpoint on $100 worth? I doubt it. You'll be lucky if they let you through for $5k.
So unless you are carrying $100k+, you're wasting your time.
>>
Not interested in bartering in gold. It's a finite material where when gone means you're fucked. My back-up plan is knowledge and creating good to sell, where those goods are either pelts, meat, vegetables or other items which require some knowledge to get.
>>
File: Bic lighter.jpg (12KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bic lighter.jpg
12KB, 600x600px
>>872274
>A few boxes of matches and a box of ziplock bags would be more cost effective.

You can get several hundred lights out of a single Bic, you'd need a forest of matches to equal a 50-pack of lighters.
>>
File: gold_krugerrand_1oz_rev.jpg (46KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
gold_krugerrand_1oz_rev.jpg
46KB, 450x450px
>>872292
>Good luck with your backpack full of lighters, should be able to exchange it for one power bar.

Why would I trade you even a single bullion cube for your chunk of useless metal?

WTF am I going to do with it?
>>
File: 1382022455557.jpg (748KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455557.jpg
748KB, 1920x1080px
>>872316
>In a real collapse

Society becomes a barter economy, where items of actual value like Bic lighters, ammo, food, tools, etc. are exchanged for other valuable and useful items (or physical labor).

Nobody is going to trade you anything of value for a piece of metal.
>>
>Gold will still be valuable meme

Kek
>>
cash will be fine unless ww3 or complete colapse in wich case there will be years before commerce other than trading for basuc goods starts.
>>
>>872053
False, industrial diamond is useful as shit.

Also that jesus piece in >>871984 has to be plated he couldn't stand up straight if it was solid gold.
>>
>>872292

Bitch, please.

Good luck starting a fire with your silver coin.

But hey, I'm sure you'll be able to buy your weapon upgrades when you've hoarded enough.
>>
>>872288
>Protip

Stopped reading there, you're obviously 14
>>
>>872292
So just get both?
>>
File: IMG_0336.jpg (139KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0336.jpg
139KB, 1200x1200px
>>872462
>lighters made of gold
>>
File: bullion.jpg (680KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
bullion.jpg
680KB, 1632x1224px
>>871841
I have a few things....but what good is metal when it comes to usable stuff. Someone mentioned a case of bic lighters...that might be worth 10x what is in this pic
>>
>>871990
>forgetting 22 and 9k
>>
>>872244
I use most of my preps on an annual basis.

>cook from scratch so i use my food and rotate it, garden every year, healthy orchard starting
>shoot all the time for fun, always have assloads of ammo
>run generator seasonally because we get raped by storms and lose power

Being prepared for Disaster X or total collapse is nice but really it comes down to a mixture of sensibility about realistic challenges, and a ln underlying desire for self sufficiency for its own sake.

And sure, I have a 'bug out bag' and some extra shit in my car, but you know what? Being evacuated three times in two years for forest fires that come within a mile of your home tends to make you want one.
>>
File: IMG_20160918_080505-1.jpg (222KB, 769x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160918_080505-1.jpg
222KB, 769x2048px
> ammo
You dumb bitches.

Short term yes, long term pic related.
>>
>>871842
in a post apoc scenario paper bills are harder to come by than gold you nigger.
>>
>>872545
Yes, because I will be wiping my ass with them.
>>
>>872321
You're a retard. Literally.
>>
File: P8lziGQ.jpg.cf.jpg (36KB, 399x535px) Image search: [Google]
P8lziGQ.jpg.cf.jpg
36KB, 399x535px
>>872519
Yes you're totally set for the zombies.
Too bad you'll starve to death trying to hunt with that.
>>
>>871872
THANKS FOR SHARING.
>>
>>871841

Wow, /out/ really is overrun with the shitposting. A lot of this boils down to the scenario you're planning for. I'll be repeating some of what people are saying above, but hopefully organizing it a little.

In a total collapse where there's a pandemic/caldera/nuclear war/asteroid, your gold will be almost totally worthless. You'll need supplies (and considerable luck) to carry you through the event itself and the immediate aftermath. Nobody will accept gold in trade for anything unless they have a gross surplus of something. By the time things enter the long-term aftermath period when gold becomes valuable, you'll have had a chance to loot far more and far more easily than you could have stockpiled now.

In a partial collapse where the economy falls apart and society breaks down, like a civil war or economic collapse (or any of the above if it's mild enough that there are large numbers of survivors), then there might be enough prosperity and social organization for currency, but it still won't be stable. Expect confiscations and warlordism. Gold will buy you trouble alongside whatever else you buy, plus all the problems of economic collapse (next).

1/
>>
>>872648

An economic collapse is a situation where gold could be valuable. Which is why it'll almost certainly be confiscated by desperate political authorities (as in >>872311), alongside other kinds of capital controls. In countries destroyed by hyperinflationary death spirals, different prices inflate at different rates.

Although often sold as being good for the poor and bad for the rich, the truth is that the rich find ways to get their currency out of country and have considerable physical assets for trade. Whereas ordinary people sell their family jewelry and whatever gold they have very early on to pay rent or buy food, the rich have enough money to ride things out and buy that jewelry up cheap. So inflation is very, very bad for the poor and not as bad as you think for the rich. As governments become desperate, politicians become easier to buy and legal protections for ordinary people erode. Stockpiling gold won't help you at all.

Your best bet in that case is escaping to another country with a stable economy, bringing with you as much money as you can. Of course, countries in collapse put in capital controls specifically to ban this. They put limits on how much cash you can carry with you, ban you bringing bullion out, ban everything they can to try to force you to stay home and leave your cash at home so as to stave off the collapse a little more.

And yet this is the one scenario where stockpiling gold really helps. The idea is that you get it as bullion coins such as >>872374, then bribe or smuggle it out when you leave. Gold concentrates a lot of value into a very small size/weight. It's non-perishable and accepted nearly everywhere. It permits you to have something that you can use regardless of where you escape to, and regardless of how good/bad your own currency or that of the country you're fleeing to is doing. It's dangerous, don't get me wrong, and also expensive in opportunity cost, but in this scenario it's a good play.
>>
>>872653

The final scenario are the various local disasters where after a period of civil disorder, disaster relief arrives and things return to normal. In that situation gold might buy you out of trouble a few times, but mostly for buying supplies like food/water/medical supplies that you should have stockpiled long before bothering for a "nice to have" like gold. And in that scenario, cash in the local currency is just as useful and much less suspicious.

OK so back to that world-ending TEOTWAWKI scenario. There's the disaster itself, then the immediate aftermath phase. Gold is worse than useless; if anything you're likely to come out of that phase with more gold than you went in with via trading survival supplies with people who have full jewelry boxes and empty pantries. Even if there isn't looting involved.

But eventually a long-term aftermath period sets in. The survivors have the immediate basics covered; anyone who doesn't is already dead. No government beyond possible warlordism, and such protection rackets will be corrupt and poor enough not to be able to afford heavy regulation. At that point, with immediate needs met, you'll find that people have surpluses and shortages. Obviously, that leads to trade. Which builds relationships and trust. That's when you see a medium of exchange appear; probably gold.

Will having hoarded gold be a net benefit to you? Yes... but not as much as the other uses to which you could have put your money.

3/
>>
>>872658

Let's go back to the California Gold Rush. You have tens of thousands of people who ran into the wilderness in the middle of nowhere half a continent from civilization. All chasing gold, which everyone agrees is valuable.

So there's the guy panning for gold in one of the streams. It's long, slow, backbreaking work, and he's just worn holes in the knees of yet another pair of pants. Getting pants out here is super-expensive, and he's found shit for gold so far. But he's a tailor by trade, so this time he decides he's going to make super-pants that won't wear out. He uses heavy canvas from his tents and sews up some pants with super-heavy thread, then secures the seams with copper rivets just for that extra "fuck you". These pants can take anything, and after a few days they break in and are pretty damn comfortable, too.

The other gold panners find out, and they want a pair. They trade a little of the gold they're finding for these super-pants. The guy makes more money making and selling pants in the middle of nowhere than he ever did on the east coast or from panning for gold himself. And he's not alone. Whether you're selling booze, eggs, pickaxes, or sex, you make way more gold selling to them than you'd make by panning for it yourself.

And that's how Levi Strauss invented blue jeans and became a millionaire in the gold rush.

Point being that skills and a way of producing in-demand commodities is way more valuable than whatever gold you can stockpile. And while your gold sits idle and bleeds away money as opportunity cost, my skills earn me some extra cash even if no SHTF scenario ever happens. My skills can't be confiscated by border guards or tax collectors, they can't be "shared" with more politically powerful constituencies, and they can't be robbed by raiders and looters.

Gold has its uses, and it's worth having a little ready if you need to go out of country, but it's way down the list.

>>872090

Nope, that would be Levi Strauss.
>>
>>872653
The only issue with your statement is how much gold you'd have to squirrel away to make a difference.
$5,000 in gold won't matter.
Having $50,000 in gold for some obscure condition where it would matter, while living in an apartment just means you sacrificed your quality of life because of someone's fantasy.
In virtually every instance that cash flow would have been put to better use purchasing anything listed ITT other than precious metals.
We're not in a fiefdom where a warlord can simply pay the largest brutes with a couple swords to reign terror in the surrounding area. A couple teenagers with AR15'S can defend a village (happens in Africa daily).

I'm not against PM's, I have some myself. But that's just because I collect coins.

An ounce of gold was going for about $1k last I checked.
That's an AR, couple magazines, and quite a few boxes of ammo.
Hell, land sells for about $1,200 an acre here- more or less depending on what it consists of.
Even if you lived in a condo downtown close to work- if you forwent buying 5 ounces of gold, you could own a secured site to insure your family's safety, instead of relying on a handful of metal and the mercy of those who DID buy AR's.
>>
>>872648
>>872653
>>872658
>>872662

OK, one last thing.

Why not just get counterfeit bars? Stuff that looks the right size, shape, and weight, but is made of a lead alloy or something. You can buy a far more convincing counterfeit now, for cheap, than you could ever make later, and who would realize? Who'd even have the tools to figure it out?

No, I wouldn't trade these "special" bars away to people I expect to do business with again. But for one-off transactions with random people, or for buying off outlaws and looters, it seems ideal.

And, obviously, you should think twice before trading anything valuable for a yellow metal bar. The deal might be worth it, or then again, you might be dealing with a guy like me.

5/5
>>
>>872093
>Are you really going to sacrifice bag space that could have been used for ammo or canned food to haul around gold?
>packing canned food in your bag
I sure hope you guys don't do this.
>>
>>872165
>>872168
And you faggots wonder why there are no girls on the internet.
>>
>>872664

I totally agree. I think you missed my point, then. You're giving exactly the right reasons why gold isn't a good idea... except in the scenario where I'm bugging out of country with the clothes on my back.

This happens very frequently in terms of history. It's happening right now in the middle east. And you can't be sure today, not knowing the disaster, where you might end up. You might have some countries in mind, perhaps a strong plan and a backup, but it all depends on what the disaster is.

So you get some starting wealth that lets you bribe your way out of your old country and into the new country, plus enough to get yourself settled and earning a living again in the new country.

And that means gold not because gold is a great investment (it isn't) it's that in an economic collapse, your stock and bonds will be worthless. Your home-country currency may have inflated away into nothingness. You might have had your land and bulk commodities confiscated (as in Zimbabwe). All these things happen frequently around the world. Venezuela, Zimbabwe, any place that goes communist, it's not even all that rare.

Precious gems like diamonds/corundums/beryls have their value inflated by global cartels or else they'd be even better. But since most of their current value is artificial, gold and other PM are your best option for portable, universally accepted wealth in a bug-out-of-country scenario.
>>
File: retort.jpg (94KB, 594x625px) Image search: [Google]
retort.jpg
94KB, 594x625px
>>872668

Nice retort!
>>
>>872311
>take out cash from ATM
>walk into gold trader
>buy gold bar (in packaging with certificate)
Congratulations, you now own gold off the govt's books.
>>
>>871872
Are there any movies about a society like this?
>>
>>872670
>Wanting girls on the internet

Why? They add no value
>>
File: retort_with_stopper.jpg (23KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
retort_with_stopper.jpg
23KB, 500x346px
>>872676
No, THIS is a nice retort.
>>
>>872673
>Your home-country currency may have inflated away into nothingness
And it's not impossible that this happens to the Euro if more countries (e.g. France) leave the EU.
>>
File: RetortHero.jpg (130KB, 610x420px) Image search: [Google]
RetortHero.jpg
130KB, 610x420px
>>872693

Not the biggest retort you could have thrown back at me, but certainly a classic.
>>
>>872695

Exactly. If I were a european, I'd be very concerned about currency risk. Between the fiscal crises and the threat of dissolution, and Russia-related instability, there are a variety of scenarios where your cash could become worthless very quickly. The Germans are smart about this, having learned the hard way, but they can't hold up the entire continent by themselves.

An American has an even tougher problem, because so many smaller economies have currencies pegged to the dollar, that might also collapse as part of a crisis in the United States. America has a fiscal debt problem far greater than even the big one you see, because the federal debt numbers don't include huge debt crises in each of the State governments, and both are trying to support huge unfunded pension liabilities.

Both continents have protectionist movements that might screw up trade and trigger an economic crisis that way. Etc etc etc.

Russia's economy is... fragile. It depends on the price of oil and at any moment there could be war on one or more of their borders. China faces a major monetary crisis of its own-- inflation is very high but also kept very, very quiet. Brazil has a similar monetary situation. All three have instituted capital controls.

And all these economies are big and powerful enough, and interconnected enough with the rest of the world, that you could get a contagion effect that might spread anywhere or everywhere. Even a country that comes out of it pretty well might suffer pretty badly while the crisis unfolds.

More to the point, you won't know in advance which countries will come out of a crisis well and which will fall apart. The US had a massive banking collapse in the early 1990s which people barely noticed because they were so stable. Then Greece has to enact some budget cuts and there's rioting in the street. You never know, so you want something that retains its value and can be spent just about anywhere. Which is to say, gold.
>>
File: my only gold.jpg (34KB, 568x303px) Image search: [Google]
my only gold.jpg
34KB, 568x303px
>>871841
The only gold I bring with me. Found it a while back. Some kind of mood ring I think because when it gets warm it changes color. I used to leave it on my nightstand but I've found myself bringing it to work, to the bar, and even to bed with me now.

I don't need anyone coming by and taking it after all... it's precious to me
>>
>>871842
>>
File: 1432359896781.jpg (22KB, 228x250px) Image search: [Google]
1432359896781.jpg
22KB, 228x250px
Bullets will be the new precious metal in a real SHTF situation
Only a fool is gonna be sparing you some food, water, or medical attention for a bar of gold if the grid goes down
>>
File: IMG_20151202_190701.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_190701.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>873151
Then Sir, I am a wealthy man.
>>
>>873151
Good job 99% of the population are morons then
>>
File: real estate.png (39KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
real estate.png
39KB, 200x200px
>>872168
Shhhhh, you´re scaring her away, anon! We need more /out/ pussy, don´t you understand?
>>
>>873238
Don't sacrifice quality for quantity.
>>
>>871990
in the US, all gold must be stamped with the karat amount. if it doesn't have a stamp then it's not gold. if something is stamped GF or "gold filled" then it means it's gold plated (confusing, i know).
>>
>>873238
> there's more than one /out/ grrl

Why do you retarded juveniles think only date raping jerkoffs go /out/.
>>
>>871842
Food, water, ammo, clothes, toilet paper, etc. would be currency in an apocalypse. What the fuck would I or anyone else need bullion for? People would be trading need for need.
>>
The only thing of value that is unlimited after shtf is skills, you bet your ass I would buy some anvils, hand tools, and stocks of things to make with those tools . Knowing how to make fuel and actual useful items out of metal, wood, and leather is the gift that keeps giving. Everyone takes for granted nails, bolts, files, rasps, tool making in general. Tl,dr be your own gold mine
>>
>>872662
Gold prospectors only use pans for TESTING they used long tom sluices back then because water was at a premium and they had nothing better. Please get your shit straight.
>>
better keep a few hundred cartons of cigarettes on hand to take advantage of the ornery addicts
>>
>>873474
>I'll take dry panning for $200 Alex.

Can't do that with a sluice box.
Next time you read a pamphlet at the tourist bureau, please refrain from posting about it.
>>
> oz
>>
>>872135
Kampuchea under Pol Pot and the immediate aftermath.
In fact, most Cambodians still keep a lot of gold with the family in case everything goes tits up again.
>>
>>872280
Its not. It was even worse. Im a serb who went trough that war but in Serbia and whos mother is from Bosnia, but for me personally Yugoslavia hyperinflation was far more devastating.
Gold will lose value but will still be viable as trade good. Petrol, cigarettes, food, sugar, coffee and medicine are real luxury items and way to preserve and accumulate wealth.
>>
>>871841
Bullets are worth more than gold.
>>
>>871841
If I have supplies you need, your mouth and asshole are payment. Your gold is worthless. Now look into my eyes and say 'thank you daddy'
>>
Sure are alot of angry faggots too poor to buy gold
>>
>>873853
i will trade you ounce for ounce!!
i will fucking trade you!
>>
>>874001
btw if you are preparing for the apocalypse you would be retarded not to have some muzzle loaders and civil war black powder and cap revolvers stashed. no bullets required, you can stash way more caps and make your own powder.
>>
>>871841
buying anything other then minted rounds, rofl!

never buy bars, stock everything into 1oz silver eagles roughly 20$ currently and 1/10oz gold eagles roughly 140$ currently, anything else will be too difficult to off load.
>>
>>873637
Lol.
>Cambodia
>third world country, one of the poorest on the continent.
>average yearly income less than $2,000
>believes everyone has gold hidden away.
>>
>>874025
>American Eagles
>not even four nines
lolmao
>>
>>874002

Stop watching Revolution, that show is complete horse shut.

It's relatively easy to manufacture modern cartridges and I'm sure more than a few industrious people will get that going in a full on shtf.
>>
File: 1475820108546.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1475820108546.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>873374
Quite frankly, I was being sarcastic before. The less girls in /out/, the better.
Don´t take it personally, but the beauty of being outdoors is freedom from everyday-shit and being a man.
It sounds cheesy for you, for sure. But that´s only because you don´t understand it.
If I´m outdoors with some guys, we usually just relax, hike, share experiences or techniques and have fun. Nothing more. No cunt to impress or "alpha" bullshit.
The moment you throw a woman into the mix, or anyone takes himself too seriously (regardless of gender), everything goes to shit.
>>
>>872253

Gee I dunno, maybe defend yourself or kill an animal to eat? As opposed to gold which you could... lick? You retarded cunt.
>>
>>874256

Yeah you know, just a coupla guys hanging out, talkin shit, sucking each other's cocks...
>>
>>874282
kek. I didn´t mean it a homosexual way, though.
>>
>>873373

It's so confusing you got it wrong

>in the US, all gold must be stamped with the karat amount. if it doesn't have a stamp then it's not gold. if something is stamped GF or "gold filled" then it means it's gold plated (confusing, i know).
>>
I don't stockpile gold, it's a glorified paper weight.

I do have a bug out trailer that has almost everything I need. In a true TEOTWAWKI situation I could be ready to go in 3 hours, although it would almost certainly take 24-48 to get all my people together (family and a few very close friends).

Started playing around with prepping as a party idea, we took a week and "bugged out" in the woods (glorified camping trip), but have been replacing the party stuff with more practical things. I still hold "drills" once a year where we spend a week getting shitfaced in the woods, but I'm very well prepared now.

Lone wolves die, communities thrive. I'm hoping that I can take them all up to the lake and at that point it gets significantly easier. I raise livestock and my "survival wagon" is just an old two layer livestock trailer that I gutted the front and put a sleeper in. I use the top half for storage and can load stock in the bottom. Once I clear up the party stuff, I can fit enough grain and salt to last a year with 15 people.

Once we hit the lake I would start by building a fishwheel (there is a river about half a mile away that is big enough for one), for the time being I would focus on obtaining things I couldn't pack due to size/weight. Hay would be a huge first, I could do a lot with it, from building shelter to feeding the stock. Next priority would be fuel, the lake is in timber country, so there is lots of green wood that needs to be felled while we have the gas to run the saws, since it gets much harder after that. People can sleep in the trailer until we get a proper shelter established, but that would probably be the third thing we do, especially if get enough hay and timber.

Cooking would be done in the trailer, I have a stove installed and 6 gas tanks + a wood gasifier for when it runs out.

All and all, I see us all dying, but hopefully dying later than we would have elsewise.
>>
all this shitposting about gold and the real good info is that i should stockpile on caffeine and nicotine stores and expect to be shot and killed for them
>>
Most common currency will be blowjobs. Look up some how-to videos while you still can.
>>
>>874606
Pro tip, pack tobacco seeds. It will be rough and disgusting, but when TEOTWAWKI hits and the world runs out of Marlboro's people will give anything for that fix, and you will have it. Caffeine is harder, I keep caffeine pills constantly on stock for my ECA stack, but people don't want those, the want coffee and chocolate.

I would probably just focus on nicotine, and maybe just pack a pallet of coffee.
>>
>>874787
now this is a good idea, pack in some LSD too, that would possibly be the rarest drug on the planet
>>
The only reason to ever even think about gold in a shtf scenario is if you think it's going to end soon, and you want some wealth for your troubles.
>>
>>871842
bullshit
After some semblance of order has returned, then maybe gold and silver and platinum will be worth something. For the first year or the first several years, thought, people are going to want useful things, not some shitty yellow metal that's not good for anything but bludgeoning people because it's so damn heavy.
What you want is water, flour, ammunition of different calibers, seeds, canned and freeze-dried food, knives....
>>
>>872463
fuck yes
>>
>>874927

>lsd
>during SHTF

sounds like a bad combination to be honest.

>>874989

This guy gets it. Gold is great if we have an economic crisis, not very useful in a real happening. Gold as currency requires a standard, scales, and being able identify it accurately. Your average Joe, myself included, doesn't know enough about precious metals to bargain away food/supplies for a shiny paper weight.

Hell I would bargain for steel over gold since I'm an amateur blacksmith. Anything useful is worth thousands of times more than gold. As I said earlier, hay is a god send in a happening, I could make a good enough shelter to get through a hard winter out of hay. I would trade some meat for hay, I would not trade meat for gold.
>>
>>872292

>paying $20 for a shitty lighter and a torn up backpack

Yeah, I would rather I'd just pack a lighter, and that's assuming I could even find lighter anon to trade with, AND that he doesn't just kill me and take my backpack full of silver.
>>
>>874256
you have shitty friends if they can't be casual around a woman
>>
>>872306
>I have 15 acres

I love hearing this when talking to prepper. I have 5 acres with nothing on it, but guess what, my neighbors have hundreds of acres, with cattle running on it, and an orchard, and a pond. If shtf, I wouldn't have 5 acres, I'd have hundreds. And cattle, and an orchard, and a pond.

People who believe that property rights will be respected during SHTF are as delusional as people who think that I would trade an ounce of MY beef for a pound of their gold.
>>
>>875081
>Implying your neighbor wouldn't shoot your ass the first time he saw you jumping the fence to protect HIS cattle.
>>
>>875103

My neighbor is an elderly man who relies on me just to keep his "farm" running. He moved out here after retirement and thought that you just bought cattle and let them roam on your land. Don't get me wrong, if SHTF I would treat him right for as long as I could afford to do so, but there will be no mistaking who owns what. Hell, he's on oxygen with one of those home oxygen pumps, so if power goes out, he would likely croak anyways. The point I was trying to establish in that post is that keeping ownership of physical assets will be calculated by the value of that asset relative to your ability to protect it. If you have to move and can only pick between bringing your food or an anvil, your going to bring food because it is more useful to you. To me that land is more valuable than the resources it would take to secure it. My neighbor on the other hand needs someone to help him stay alive, so to him the land is useless because he can't work it. He would be more willing to let me take it from him on the chance that I help him to survive than he would be trying to defend it himself knowing that he would die within days.

Not sure why I'm arguing with you since I think we are on the same page. Property will belong to those capable of defending it.
>>
>>875130
Your other post was just a little presumptive.
Bit you're right- a lot of people will die and more than just their Cadillac will be up for grabs to whoever is willing and able to claim it.

But you'll also find relatives climbing out of the woodwork.
People living in the city who decide "we've got to get to uncle Fred's plantation" types.
>>
>>875147
>People living in the city who decide "we've got to get to uncle Fred's plantation" types.

Anyone else have a plan in place for this? I've been building cabins for my family under the guise of building sheds for people to buy, but I always keep a couple on hand just in case. I put roughly $1500 into them, sell them for $3000 each so I make enough to keep a few extra on hand just in case.

I can't wait until those entitled brats have to work or starve. No handouts here, work or leave.

>tfw I already know who the example is going to be and how I'm going to make it
Being through one crisis with the entire family is a real eye opener.
>>
>>871853
that's not how gold works kiddo
>>
>>875147
I mean not only your relatives, but the neighbor with the cattle's relatives will show up after you've been working his land for 2 months and they will want it back.
>>
>>875016
If you know how to synthesize some desirable chemicals (anyone with some college chem classes will be able to do do this) then you're in the money. That's what I'll be offering in trade before I get raped to death/pregnant.

I also know how to extract metals from ore, but I don't think that would be as necessary with all the scrap about. I'd rather just offer meth. People will love that. That and opium. Keep a load of poppy seeds. They'll pay off, I promise you. And know how to ferment fruit and distill. Alcohol, meth, and opium will make my life worth keeping if I end up surviving long enough.
>>
>>875297
Baby factory's shouldn't be around drugs or alcohol.
>>
Why do you fags think everything will collapse? 99% chance we just turn into a slightly richer Brazil and that's now
>>
>>871841
>he fell for he jewish gold ruse

if SHTF, a few things happen at the same time
A. some things can't be bought, period
B. scarcity creates massive price flux, nobody knows what anything is worth any more, you try to pay for something WITH FUCKING SOLID GOLD people are going to charge you a shit ton
C. there may or may not even be mutual tradability
people might not accept cash, they might not accept gold either
these things are only valuable because everyone agrees they are
D. gold is heavy, really heavy

I don't know is you are a genuine shill for a gold trader or just a fool, but here is the consensus among preppers

bring surplus of what you will personally use, that way if trading isn't an option you won't be left things that can't help you

bring things that are usefull to a broad range of people, soap, tampons, food.
guarentee you have something the other person will want

bring a great variety of things
someone might pay $100 (or equivilent) for a bottle of water then they are thirsty, but will only pay 20$ for the second bottle
more variety=more trading with fewer people

there are issues with specialty good (asthma inhalers, meds, lice combs etc)
they are pretty worthless unless you need them, people who DO need them might not be able to get to you

if you buy the right goods, it won't cost you much now; and if shit doesn't hit the fan in the near future you didn't waste your money
why the fuck would you buy something like gold to trade?
what are you going to trade it for later, a knife, food?
why not just buy those things now instead of the gold

have things that are "low value", to use as change or to give as gifts
>>
A silver tongue will do much better than a gold one
>>
>>875281
>Property will belong to those capable of defending it

Think I covered that.
>>
>>872359
nobody ever went hungry who had gold
>Those people were very wealthy and had a VAST QUANTITY of gold.

Your retardation level is literally off the scale. These Zimbabwe zombies lived, because they literally had five dollars worth of gold. (lived for one day on that) No gold? That much closer to starvation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3LdNxV0yPM

>Some peon with 5 ounces hidden in his colon will survive for an extra week on the black market.

Retardation off the scale again. Five dollars worth of gold is bread for one day. watch the video and stop posting your imagination.

>If I lose my land, you'll lose your gold.

I'm already across the border with my gold, while you're crying about your lost farm. In the first five minutes.

>If my land and livestock are obliterated- then you starve to death and get buried with your gold.

Retardation level high. Watch the video. Smugglers bring food from miles around. For those with gold. Only.

>How much gold do you think will matter in a real shtf scenario where I lose everything?

Who cares? You will starve and die. Those with gold will eat, and run, and live. (and shoot)

>Will you get through a checkpoint on $100 worth? I doubt it. You'll be lucky if they let you through for $5k.

Then I get through the border easy. Thanks for confirming that for me.
>>
>>872374
>>872377
>>872385
>ITT clueless paupers who will quickly starve to death if the SHTF.

>>
>>875896
Roleplaying is fun.
>>
>>875276
I agree with the other guy that replied to you, your initial post made you sound like a dick, but it seems you've thought things through. And having the foresight to plan for your family is smart too. Better to already have that extra burden accounted for.
>>
Every single economic collapse, war and natural disaster scenario in modern hostory precious metals have played an important role.

From Zimbabwe & Africa to Bosnia & western/eastern disaster zones.

Unless you're talking about an end of the world, nuclear war scenario then sure you might have to wait until things settle down or rebuild, but every other situation it's still a valuable commodity around the world.

Just think back to that One year in hell story, $40 for a can of food, or trading jewelry & bullion/coins. You'll probably have people denominating metals in other goods like lighters, smokes, food & bullets.
>>
>>872288
What if instead of spending 1200 bucks on an Oz of gold, you spent 1200 bucks on supplies?
>>
>>872292
Dude, the lighters and backpack would be more useful...
>>
>>875307
That's pretty terrible.
>>
>>871841
None because you can't eat it or drink it
>>
I'm the bug out trailer guy, just had an idea cross my mind.

I've been saving the containers my protein powder comes in because they are perfectly sized for a lot of things, but I never thought to add protein powder to my supplies. I can buy 50lbs cheaper and it's got a year shelf life unopened, so I could constantly recycle through it while keeping it on hand.
>>
>>872126
they absorb stuff really well and they contain a chemical that makes your blood dry quicker, so if you get shot or stabbed, you can stuff one in the hole until you see a doctor
>>
>>871842
Depends on your definition of an apocalypse.
If we're talking about going back to the stone ages, gold won't be worth shit.
What would be worth is non-perishable foods, water filtration, water purification, antibiotics.

Gold would be worth it's weight if we're talking really fucked up. Like Hurricane Sandy world wide x10. Where we'd have no government, but there's lots of people still around. Lots of farmers and engineers, but a nationwide cooperation of people would be impossible.
And international economy is literally 0
Then, gold would actually have worth

Now if we're talking, really fugged up, like Hurricane Sandy 1x world wide, then most likely(like above), food, water purification and medicine would be the short term currency
But we're not fubar and the government would come back and re-establish order. Then you'd be glad you carried cash, because gold is heavy as fuck.
>>
alright guys, hear me out
Gold is useless when you can trade stuff you have for stuff you want. however, imagine the following scenario:
>you have 50 bic lighters that you bought before shtf and some other stuff
>it's getting colder so you want a blanket
>at your current location, people have no surplus of blankets and no lighters
>20miles away there is a sheep farmer who sells blankets but he has enough lighters
what do you do? the farmer has what you need but you have nothing to offer him, and you have what the local people need but they have nothing to offer to you. If only there was some kind of blanco item that could be traded for anything...
>>
>>871842
apocalypse economy will be trade economy. with ammo being extremely valuable, someone who can craft bows and arrows would be pretty well off id bet. gold will only be useful once its all over.
>>
>Muh apocalypse
>Muh SHTF

You plebs gold isnt for these Scenarios that will never actually happen. Its for it the economy goes to shit and the dollar goes way down. Thats when you can trade your gold.
>>
>>872053
diamond is the hardest metal
>>
>>876365
Go and stay go.
>>
>>875896
You just proved how worthless gold is.
You'll trade away your fortune for a weeks worth of food.
Then you'll have nothing.
Meanwhile people who stockpiled everything but gold will be living comfortably.
>b-but look at Zimbabwe
A country that had nothing suddenly has nothing after a shtf scenario. Wow imagine that.
You're actually trying to make an example of a country that was incapable of providing for themselves in the best of times.
>b-but you'll have your land taken away
By who?
My country is 3.8 million square miles.
You actually believe there's an occupying force cable of confiscating and securing 3,800,000 square miles from citizens, but you're going to be allowed to keep a fortune in gold?
You're actually saying that gold is the most valuable thing, while at the same time arguing that people will have everything taken away from them, except their gold.
You're a special kind of stupid.
You'll be in a ditch with your throat cut on day one.
>>
>>874787
>>874927

Why not poppy plants? Heroin is far more addictive. The addicts I've met basically will do anything for a fix if they don't have one ready at hand. I mean literally anything. If there's anything that kept me from even trying drugs over the years, it was seeing a kid I grew up with turn into the last five minutes of Requiem For a Dream right in front of me. The whole time assuring me that it was no big deal. But if you're going to cater to addiction and exploit it for your own ends, heroin is the way to go.

And meanwhile, you can also use it to create morphine, which will be an essential medicine and anesthetic in a post-apoc environment.

Also the flowers are pretty and poppy seeds are a useful ingredient in poppy seed-covered bagels and lemon poppy seed pound cake.
>>
>>876314
Blowjobs, obviously. Or trade a skill. Fix some shit around his farm. Offer up your girlfriend (or some woman you kidnapped and keep bound) for payment. Know how to make booze and keep a good amount around at all times before SHTF.

There's so many options. Your gold won't go far unless you're loaded.
>>
File: IMG_0389.jpg (377KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0389.jpg
377KB, 1536x2048px
>>877095
Women for currency, eh?
>tfw the farmer with the blankets is gay
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 657x557px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 657x557px
dubs will be the new currency
>>
>>875277
because people say it`s expensive right...

Bullets will be of equal value shortly after.
>>
>>876309
>stuff one in the hole until you see a doctor

That's what she said
>>
>>876314

Because yes, that makes total sense. The world is fucked up enough that money is worthless and there's some kind of societal collapse, but this dickhead in the next state keeps shearing his sheep to hand spin the wool and weave into fucking blankets.

FFS get out from behind your computer one of these days why don't you
>>
>>877374
So humans will only last as long as supplies do?
Once the warehouses are empty- if industrial manufacturing hasn't started back up you think everyone will just curl up on the floor and die?

You seriously sound like a basement dweller that's never done a hard days work in your life.
>>
>>877095
>trading a precious blanket for 10 minutes of fun
>>
>>877374
it's a hypothetical situation, it could be about anything, he could have made those blankets before shtf and had a big supply left
>>
>>871842
>gold
>bugout bag
>muh tradition
I mean even with the "traditional value" argument you're wrong. Silver's the traditional means of exchange.
>>
>>871841
Short term, gold is useful. Everyone recognizes its value.
Problem is that it quickly loses its value when basic necessities become scarce. Food, water, coffee, alcohol, meds, guns/ammo become much more valuable

In a SHTF, it isn't always known how long it will last. Even short term, you're gambling with your life.
>>
>trading when shtf
I'm just going to loot and kill for supplies
>>
>>878463
There's always some one bigger and badder than you.
If you become a threat, you'll be removed from the equation.
If you are beneficial, you become an ally.
>>
File: tumblr_mnqz7wfXe61rt567qo2_400.jpg (58KB, 360x474px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnqz7wfXe61rt567qo2_400.jpg
58KB, 360x474px
>>878463
Hale Odin
>>
>>871841
cigarettes cigarettes cigarettes
ammo and liquor are valuable too
>>
>>872084
>Lead Bullion
my fucking sides mate
>>
>>872166
>paper plates
>because you can't wash normal plates.
Anon what.

If you are able to get enough paper plates to last you a SHTF, why the fuck aren't you just installing a hand pump well with a basin and buying a fucking sponge? Just keep some mediocre plastic shit that wont shatter on impact and rinse your shit now and then. People have, and still do clean dishes and maintain clean clothing and such without plumbing, all you need is a brush a stream and a rock to get the majority of shit out, we are cleaning things not trying to make them "DAWN tm" clean and smelling like lavender.
>>
>>871841
My plan is to carry a shit load of individual salt packets, sugar packets, and a biggass carton of native reserve cigs, people want to sweeten or salt their shit, salt is priceless, and when the stores run out and the cravings kick in people will trade fucking anything for a cig.

Plus I'm learning to make knives by hand. A good tool is valuable, the skill to make a good tool is priceless. Plus keeping a small store of salt costs like 5 bucks and can literally net you anything you fucking want, things run out and go bad fast, people will get desperate.
>>
File: sweetbullion.jpg (211KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sweetbullion.jpg
211KB, 500x375px
>>871842
>>871841
>not trading in bullets
gold is worthless.
>>
File: download.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
The obvious currency would be domars you plebes!
>>
>>880392
Salt is easy to get for people living along the coast.
The smart ones will setup dehydration system!ms early on.
Sugar can be extracted from beets.
We should have both supply chains within a month or two.
I'm trying to find a peppercorn tree that does well in my area personally.
>>
File: The-Survivalist-2015.jpg (32KB, 304x456px) Image search: [Google]
The-Survivalist-2015.jpg
32KB, 304x456px
>>872247
water, food, shelter and medication then weapons
anything else is bonus
i`d rather have silver, it`s got antibacterial properties
>>
Seeds, water and animals will be the currency
>>
>>871842
Yeah, no. You want commodities that can generate energy to do work like gas, oil, propane that will protect people from cold and so on and ammunition, weapons, spare parts, and building supplies. I wouldn't trade one bag of concrete for that entire bar of gold in such a situation, nor one drop of gas, or one jug of radiator fluid, or one bullet.

If your reply is that it's a medium of exchange, then I'd say so is fucking paper and you've lost the argument, either you're bartering for shit people need or you're using a stand in where on is as good as the other.

Gold only has use in a fucked up world if you're trying to build certain computer components (lmao) or someone is rich enough again to want jewelry. In either case things must be getting back to normal.
>>
>>881810
Unless the entire population survives whatever it is, there should be plenty of that shit to go around. And if there isn't, people with more guns will take yours.

Give me guns, ammo, and concrete. I'll make sure I get fed with that and then hide in my bunker and enjoy it.
>>
I keep a bag in my gunsafe with 5000 dollars, 5 ounces of gold, and 2000 euros. I'd probably take it with me when bugging out, but I don't see gold as a bug out and return item so much as a end of the world, "fuck the country is over run with nazi's, I better bribe my wave to mexico" item.
>>
>>872048
>clearly never been in real shtf.

tell me about how people bribed their way out, well any recent country collapse with tampons. Take your pick. I've never read any such story. On the other hand, I've read dozens about how gold, silver, diamonds, cash, even land was traded to escape bad situations.
>>
>>882918
it depends I think largely on the scale of the disaster

a small scale disaster like an earthquake, flood, outbreak of disease etc trade with unaffected areas will be viable in the long term, so cash will hold it's value and it clearly the best option

gold/gems etc just have a worse value/weight, people arnt going to be used to trading them, and you can only use them in a situation where you could use cash

the one notable exception is a currency crash, most likely associated with a war
where gold can secure your final passage out of the country whereas cash couldn't

but if your disaster affects a huge area, or you are truly stuck in the disaster area; that's when trad-able items become more valuable
>>
>>882918
>a handful of people are lucky enough to bribe their way to freedom
>tens of thousands are killed for their meager possessions to prevent any repercussions to the thieves.

Again, the amount of wealth necessary is beyond 99.999% of peoples means.
Having items and skills useful to a band of people has a greater chance to aid your survival.
>>
File: 1435214996617.jpg (25KB, 307x352px) Image search: [Google]
1435214996617.jpg
25KB, 307x352px
>>872068

I learned something new from 4chan?
>>
File: 1474938433819.png (786KB, 739x739px) Image search: [Google]
1474938433819.png
786KB, 739x739px
>>872168
>>
File: 1441032456220.jpg (39KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1441032456220.jpg
39KB, 480x640px
>>871872
NO.
JUST FUCKIN NO.

This guy is either a liar or a professional fraud. I'm from the ex-yugoslavia region, and his story is bull-fucking-shit.

There's also a difference between an apocalypse and a civil war. You can have your Bic lighters and knicknacks, but here's what you needed in Bosnia during the war:

A WAY TO GET THE FUCK OUT

If that wasn't possible, then:

Guns. You would hide as much as possible if a rival Serb, Croatian or Muslim military or paramilitary force would stop by. You would hide your belongings because you would not stand a chance against a well equipped military force. But if they found you out and push came to shove, you would fire that shit and run the fuck away. No Rambo shit.

Propane tanks. Great for cooking without creating smoke.

Firewood. This was available in villages (hurr durr they're surrounded by woods), but in the cities (e.g. Sarajevo) you had no proper source of heat.

Gasoline wasn't available, don't even think about it. Either you had some stockpiled or you didn't, but you SHOULD have always had enough to get the hell out of dodge if things go sour in your village. Always have a small supply of it. Tons of apartments in Belgrade had a 2L coke bottle filled with gasoline in their home in case someone got sick and needed to go to the hospital.

A source of water. Any source for washing, cleaning. You can use dirty water to flush your toilet, no prob. But it's great if you have an outhouse.

Canned food, low-maintenance animals like chickens, cured/dried meats, a garden.
>>
>>883100
dunno man, pretty sure I've bribed cops for like 200, foreign police for like 50

you can bribe your way to a lot of things, during the war paying bribes meant you wern't limited by rationing
if you had the money to buy more than your ration, a bribe could secure the goods

bribes are really common when crossing borders, you pay to have only a rudimentary search of your vehicle conducted

when SHTF a couple of things are really likely that a lot of people havn't considered
1. siezure of resources from citizens eg. the army takes all your food
2. mass weapon seizures

nobody will be selling a one way ticket out of trouble, but there are a lot of things you can buy
>>
>>877205
How about gold bullets is that DOUBLE
>>
>>871842
A medical kit costs less to stuff in your bag, and will cost more in a crisis situation than gold. Just saying.
>>
Gold is fucking stupid. If it's an actual no modern society anymore collapse then gold will be useless for AT LEAST 30 years.
What you stock up on are the obvious things, food, bullets, etc.

Also stock up on cigarretes because people will need a smoke, caffeine because people are addicted to it, alcohol because when the world's going to shit you might want to be a little drunk.

Also medicine, is EXTREMELY important, even just normal painkillers.

Also something people never mention is clothing. you'll wear out clothing fast if you are doing hard labour everyday and/or fighting. get some milsurp trousers and jackets and shirts, a few beanies, a lot of socks, etc. you don't want to be making your own clothing out of animal skins in the field.
>>
>>872666
>Why not just get counterfeit bars?

Sensible answer is sensible.
>>
Mfw people are now realizing they've wasted thousands of dollars on metal.
>>
>>871861
Yeah. Everyone seems to equate shtf with the zombie apocalypse. Civil unrest and martial law are more likely scenarios.
>>
>>883136
Again....
>my gold will bribe anybody
>but everything else of value I have is seized

You can't have both.

>oh, you have cans of food under this floor board, well we're taking all of it.
>we're also taking all of your guns and ammo

>oh you have gold under this floor board, will just give me $200 worth and I'll let you keep the other $10,000.
>>
>>872166
If you don't have water, feminine hygiene would be the least of your worries.
>>
>>872666
>And, obviously, you should think twice before trading anything valuable for a yellow metal bar. The deal might be worth it, or then again, you might be dealing with a guy like me.
But I can just trade it on to someone else anyway because they won't know any better either.
>>
>>872691
Nor do you, you double nigger kike faggot.
>>
>>873535
Alcohol and tobacco are good for barter.

Not sure which would have more value, sealed packs of cigarettes, or loose tobacco? I'm guessing packets initially with most people switching to roll-ups later.
>>
>>883100

We're talking about 500 - 1500 dollars here, that might be above 50% of the populations reach, but 99.99? I've had solid success bribing people in foreign countries for 5 - 50 dollars, sometimes to get into a club, sometimes to get out of a ticket, sometimes to have them turn a blind eye at something we shouldn't have been doing. Nice and easy.

I image escaping a region might cost more. Leaving post SHTF NOLA after katrina, thats probably where the half ounce comes into play to get past a road block.
>>
>>883842
>believes that someone crooked enough to accept bribes in a normal world will just take a bribe and not leave your body in a ditch after they take everything after the apocalypse happens...

You don't hear about the people who had their throats cut for a gold coin in a shtf scenario because, well, they're dead in a ditch.
>>
>>871842

Wrong. There is no currency in the apocalypse. Potentially lead or copper for their actual usefulness, but people are just gonna see your gold and kill you. That shit is a liability for a true SHTF situation.
>>
>>871853

Gold has physical value. You can find the value in its mass, unlike paper money. Paper money only represents debt. Gold is valuable, but not as much as alcohol and cigarettes.
>>
>>885694
I'll bite.

There's something in my pocket, gee whiz, it's an ounce of gold. You say it has value? Ok mister, how much is it worth? That much, huh. So you're saying it was worth the same in 2001? No? It was different then? But it was an ounce then and its an ounce now! Ok, how about in 1970? 1800? 500 B.C.? What's that? You're saying the value of gold isn't fixed but instead fluctuates over time, based on myriad factors that are difficult to predict? Oh. Well, at least you know your gold will be valuable after a shtf scenario, right? Right? Mister? What do you mean, "Oh God no, fuck my life, I poured my wealth into the golden Jew on nothing more than a hope and a prayer and now I have a small, shiny lump of crap that I can't eat, drink, burn for heat, fuel a generator with, shoot from a gun, use as a communications device, or goddammit even fuck on cold winter nights, but instead will mark me out as a fool and a target in times of civil unrest"? And what's that you're making, a noose? Allow me, the rabbit goes around the tree before into the hole. You're welcome.
>>
>>871841

Ahhhh... I love the bullion hoarders, the guys who have thousands of pounds invested in a few small coins or bars
for 'barter'

Do you really think that:

a) you have the level of hygiene needed to break that bullion into
tradable pieces.

or that

b) the person you want to trade with realised that the 3 little grains of sand
you're offering is worth enough for a fortnight's food, or tank of fuel and you're able to prove it's actually gold and not magic beans?
>>
>people that have never dealt with any hardship think previous resources are worthless

ok, enjoy being ass raped while the people who stocked 3 ounces of gold walk out. Read some history, see what really happens every time. Bribes work. period. Gold and diamonds keep you wealth period.

>>884168

lol no. accepting an 2 grand because its convenient is no the same as just randomly killing someone. people are still people, and the massive majority, like 99.9% have no desire to kill you for even ten grand. first because it's immoral, and second because making a couple thousand is a lot better than getting shot in the head, which is exactly what happens when you refuse bribes. read some history.
>>
>>883134
Yea I noticed that it had to be somewhat fake, but it makes you think what can happen. Were there any shoot outs and shit?

>>873829
How was the fighting?
>>
>>871984
Boosie Badazz
>>
>>871873
Is this one true?
>>
>>872096
>OD on Heroin
Kinda this... If shit really hits the fan and it is like a world ending scenerio I will fucking kill myself... No point... I would feel bad for my family though.
>>
How good would a stockpile of drugs be?
Like Opium, Weed, Cigs, Alcohol, Coffee, and etc.
Look's like it might be a good idea, people are always gonna want those types of items.
>>
>>872292
but i dont want your ounce of silver
>so you freeze to dead because no one sold you a lighter
>>
>>875896
But the gold the zimbawe farmers pan
doesnt stays in zimbawe
They trade it for bread and some warlord sells the gold to the us for some juicy US$

if the USA go shtf then no one would want your shity gold
>>
>>876314
but maybe i have other things than lighters
maybe he wants booze or tobako and i have both
>>
File: 1330844664434.jpg (30KB, 304x400px) Image search: [Google]
1330844664434.jpg
30KB, 304x400px
>>888040
coffee wouldn't be worth the weight. Cigs will be everywhere after the first culling. The rest would only attract people you would be better off avoiding.
>>
>>872292
the value of gold is sustained by society, its only intrinsic value is esoteric. in any such such event, value will regulate to its intrinsic and useful self
>>
>>888988
>in any such such event, value will regulate to its intrinsic and useful self

Are you going on "your opinion and what you think would probably happen?" or are we going on "5,000 years of human history?"

It's an important distinction, and it may be the reason governments and the world's billionaires hoard thousands of tons of gold.

>>
File: british_sovereign_obv_rev.jpg (55KB, 440x325px) Image search: [Google]
british_sovereign_obv_rev.jpg
55KB, 440x325px
>>888925
There have been a thousand wars, and a thousand collapses, and a thousands of times countries have bit the dust. Gold has never collapsed, but this time, this time gold will collapse, because "this is your opinion"

I wonder what those who had opinions, and no gold, ate in Zimbabwe? Tree bark? Worms and insects? Who knows?

Those with gold ate bread, and lived.

>>
File: 1386738935974.jpg (61KB, 367x276px) Image search: [Google]
1386738935974.jpg
61KB, 367x276px
>>885738
Congratulations you're retarded.

A silver dime is worth less than two dollars. TWO DOLLARS. the easiest fucking thing in the world would be to trade some small food amounts for silver coins, and larger items (cars, motorcycles, farmland, etc) for gold coins and bars.

>Ounce of gold...... for a rifle....

Wow that would be so incredibly difficult. Surely nobody here would be clever enough to figure out and accomplish such a complicated trade.
>>
>>889034
they are the esoteric few. in your hands its naught but dirt. i would say you were fooled into buying magic beans, but that would imply you had some happy ending in place and i wouldnt want to delude you
>>
>>885738
>>889061
for the record im the second poster here and not the first, and while i resent the possibility that im adhering to some hivemind, since we shared a few keywords (i hadnt read his post, subconsiously or otherwise before i wrote mine), its true for the most part

what gold would allow is for you to translate currency to areas that did not suffer the same event you did. a localized flood did not severly hamper the livelihood/economy of your neighbors, and gold would be a lightweight asset that can cross borders and allow you to maintain a level of livelihood in a foreign land. regardless, you did not imply such a scenario, and it seems more like youd be using gold in a new, apocalyptic marketplace. in this case, youd be carrying bags of dirt.

either way, besides few scenarios, it would be impossible to shirk the generations of knowledge we have, and most scenarios would not budge our ability to easily re-establish communications/power and the sorts

also i ask my father and fathers fathers not to incur such a fate on the world. the fool does not wish to quicken the culling
>>
>>889062
i dont mean to use the word impossible, ever. either way, most scenarios any of us are capable of preparing for, have been obsoleted by recent technology. though perhaps not a starvation, as producing food to satisfy a starvation takes viable land and time
>>
>>889034
Are there actual examples where people traded in gold in times of crises for goods and services or are you just pulling that out of your ass?
>>
>>871841

gold isn't going to do anyone any fucking good if the shtf. no one will fucking trade for it.
>>
>>889041
but because the money can still flow out of zimbawe

Bread-Gold-Dollar-Weapons

if the US goes shtf europe will to
if the us and EU are dead it will be realy hard for china japan and so on

so who the fuck would want your gold then no one beecause globalisation
>>
>>889073
I can't do much more than post the actual example--

Plus there was the fall of South Vietnam, and the escape from Iran 1979 when they went full durka.

Pretty much only those with gold got out, and once they reached America with "lots of gold" they just restarted their lives here "already rich" if they had 'no gold' and they made it here by some miracle, they have to start flat broke. And farmers can't bring their farm to another country. (Zimbabwe hello? SA????)

>>889142
>so who the fuck would want your gold then no one beecause globalisation

This is beyond retardation. You are saying "ignore 5,000 years of history, and instead listen to my "brilliant opinion/imagination"

Not only is gold real money, but also gold is the only protection against inflation, counterparty risk, and government confiscation of your "paper" money, by simply repudiating it. (digital currency implementation, end of paper money)
>>
>>889043

>thousands of pounds

poster is clearly a bong, while reply is from amerifat

>A silver dime is worth less than two dollars

at current exchange value you fucking mong. do you really think it will stay that way?
>>
>>871842
>Its now the apocalypse
>I have some supplies
>Some ass hat doesn't have supplies and wants to buy mine with gold
>lol no

Don't waste your money on gold, if you are worried about SHTF then buy what you may need to survive and refine the skills to use them and barter with that. Gold will only have value if there is some kind of society, if its a total apocalypse then all your gold is as valuable as a rock.
>>
File: great_britain_modern_sovereign.jpg (79KB, 380x200px) Image search: [Google]
great_britain_modern_sovereign.jpg
79KB, 380x200px
>>889790
You see this is the signature of a retard.

>I will be the one with all the supplies and the gold owners will be begging me to take their gold.

This has happened literally zero times through all recorded history. Zero.

Your precious "supplies" will be gone in three days to one week tops, and the people who do have supplies to sell (like truckloads full that they smuggled and bribed in.....) will only be accepting gold as payment. Physical gold of which you have none. Enjoy slow starvation.

>>
>>890189
>This has happened literally zero times through all recorded history. Zero.
you must the pinnacle of knowledge and intellect to speak in absolutes in this way
>>
>>871842
The only precious metals that matter in an apocalypse are lead and brass.
>>
I just get cold covered fake bars and coins.

So much cheeper and idiots won't know the difference...cause idiots...
>>
>>872339
Your error here is the fact that there was no global shtf. GOLD was valuable because outside forces gave Gold its value. Because outside of those wartorn Lands was peace and prosperity, so the Esoterik worth of Gold was Held up. If the USA is going to shit, the rest of the World will too. And with no outside influence who still deems Gold worth anything, you are, in fact, just hauling overweight useless Metall from a to b.
>>
>>888980
True but I would keep a bunch of Weed seeds for myself.
>>
>>888040
Drugs would be worth a lot, but having them would put a massive target on your back. I'll be completely honest, if we were post SHTF and you had opioids of some kind, I would acquire them by whatever means necessary, and I'm sure as shit not the only one.
>>
>>891178
Yea and not to mention that they would be good painkillers.

I would probably grow Marijuana and harvest it, would be good. If I was in a city SHTF then I guess not.

Some people might need prescription medicine like Xanax because they needed it for Anxiety and panic attacks before everything went to shit.
>>
>>872666
>Who'd even have the tools to figure it out?
Like, a bowl of water and a weighing scale?
It's litteraly that easy. You learn this stuff in high school. Bet you're murrican, right?
>>
>>883340

what the fuck are you even talking about? No one in this thread is advocating throwing all your shit away and keeping gold.

If someone comes to steal your stuff, whats easier to hide, 6 ounces of gold or 50,000 pounds of potatoes, the equivalent value in food. Are you intentionally being stupid?

Per the other guy, assuming you need say a 1000 dollar bribe, exactly how many tampons is that? Even assuming (the extremely laughable) idea that you even could bribe someone with tampons, why are you carrying 1500 of them in the first place?

Everyone arguing gold will be worthless first has never been in any SHTF situation, and second can't string together even a coherent string of thoughts to answer really simple questions like what will you trade? All the answers are "I wont ever need anything because I'm super man". It's comical. Read some real life accounts of whats happened, and learn from it. No one can site a source of anyone ever trading food or water for passage out of any recent SHTF, and yet their plan is to ignore the 1000s of examples that say cash, gold, diamonds are the way to go. Good luck with that. I hope you don't suffer too much before you end up dead in a ditch.
>>
>>893246

If he is to retarded to have ppl tell him all this. Maybe he should toss the gear and just horde gold. That way his dumb ass can die faster.
>>
>>885713
I love you.
when will people realize gold is a commodity
>>
File: 1454769484500.jpg (29KB, 403x287px) Image search: [Google]
1454769484500.jpg
29KB, 403x287px
>all these cucks that can't afford gold
>>
>>877095
cuck
>>
>>881904
This.

ITT people are acting like gold is somehow more tangibly valuable to the average person than a stack of dollars. It isn't, unless the government of the US has literally been dissolved in which case
things are likely bad enough that gold will be the least of your average person's concerns.

Could be useful for bartering with wealthy people who are having issues with fiat currency transfer/liquidity.
>>
>>885694
>>885713
>>885738
Its a month after the event. the world has collapsed. i have food. i have daughters. i have ammo. why would i trade any of those for gold?
what can i do with gold? there is no society, no markets, no towns, no commerce. currency only functions once you already have civilization
>>
You fucking faggots will be fighting to get in line when Ive got leather bags from Etsy filled with silver rounds, silver bars, and sterling silver jewelry.

That shit can be used to make blades and maybe a plate.

Gold cucks can die. Silver 4 lyfe.
>>
>>894651
One month later, you will be starving. Those with gold will be running for the border, or buying food (with the gold) Gold is also the bribe to cross the border. Cucks like you get turned back.

>>
>>871841
Why the fuck would I ever carry a grand in gold in my pack
>>
>>890428
>implying the whole world, most of which has been around for millennia, is dependant on a country less than 300 years old
When the American Economic Empire collapses the rest of the world isn't going to hell, they will fall back on the Gold standard. True, there are some other countries that are fucked if America's economy tumbles (I'm looking at you, Israel!) but to assume the whole world falls when America falls is simply retarded.
>>
>>880563
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't most of the historical value of salt stem from its preserving properties than its food additive properties?

What is pepper going to do for you? I sure as hell wouldn't trade some of my bullets for pepper.
>>
>>880401
and if they don't accept it as current sea, you can make them. bit of a noose ants, but it works
>>
>>871841
>packing heavy as fuck metals with little survival use in your bugout bag

You're a fag
>>
>>899746
this.

Most useless shit I have ever heard. OP clearly has never survived outside of his comfy computer chair.
>>
>>899746
>>899956
>lead
>brass
Are you two thinking?
>>
>>899746
>>899956
>>899961

Rare stones are the way to go if you need to stroke your post-apocalyptic ego. Way lighter, easier to hide, worth more than gold. A handful of high-carat rubies and emeralds buys a current-day house.
Thread posts: 293
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.