[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to ride one of these from the PNW to Northern California.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: Honda-Ruckus_004.jpg (45KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Honda-Ruckus_004.jpg
45KB, 600x400px
I want to ride one of these from the PNW to Northern California. What all will I need to pack to make it there?
>>
File: i-FzrV99x-L.jpg (172KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-FzrV99x-L.jpg
172KB, 800x451px
>>870083
New, or used/abused?
New, just ride the thing. Used, go through everything and make sure it's good for a cross-country trip.

Wear gear. 60m/h on pavement hurts whether you're on a ruckus, dualsport, or hardley.

Fuel range may be a concern. Do some trips locally and figure out how far you can go between stops, plan accordingly. A 24oz MSR fuel bottle will get you a breddy gud distance, if you run into headwinds that suck fuel more than you expected. Cheap insurance.
>>
>>870087
>new cause it's only $3k
>its a hongda, so I know it's good for the trip
>top speed is 35mph, so I'll just stick with a helmet
>110 mpg, with 2gal gas tank iirc; can bungee a Jerry can on the front so I've got at least 300mi range right there

I was thinking more like tent, sleeping bag, food stuff like that.
>>
What. That is like a two day ride if you go real slow.
>>
>>870102
Maybe I'll go really really slow.
>>
>>870102
>>870104
Also can't go on the interstate, so it'll be at least a little more rough than you're probably imagining.
>>
>>870104
Okay well any old things should do it. If youre in the pnw already look for thermarest mat, 20 or 30° bag, 1 man tent on craigslist. Grab a couple brown 6 by 8 tarps, 100 ft of paracord and 4 thick tent stakes from walmart. You sould be able to fit all that in a medium size backpack provided you dont get a fuckhuge sleeping bag. You could go ghetto as fuck and pull stuff in one of those wheely suitcases
>>
File: 1475720503628.jpg (62KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475720503628.jpg
62KB, 600x400px
A 10 lb bottle of NOS
>>
>>870087
>50cc
>60mph
If OP is getting a 50cc thenkeep dreaming unless you get a gear up kit for the rear output gearset.

Also OP consider getting a new CVT belt for just in case. And the tools to fix it.
>>
>>870115
>And the tools to fix it.
Replace*
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-28-20-40-37.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-28-20-40-37.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>870091
3 grand? Seriously. Buy a used gs500 for that.... It will feel like a scooter. While at least being able to hit the highways.

Plus you don't feel bad hacking into one... Lmao
>>
>>870128
Want
>>
File: wo0esRF.jpg (236KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
wo0esRF.jpg
236KB, 2048x1365px
hahaha
>bandit 1200s
>$1000 value
>12v electrics
>40mpg, 3.5gallon
you literally cannot overload it.
I've ran 200 liters of bags on a GSXR1000 and still maintained 40mpg
I'll take my savings on upfront vehicle cost and pay the couple hundred bucks in gas
>>
>>870176
1k fucking where you fuck
>>
>>870184
anywhere, just found a mint ready to ride for $2500

they have a shit flapper valve that lets gas flood the carbs, install a fuel on off valve and turn fuel off when engine isn't on. lots of plebs dumb them because the engine case fills up with gas and they
>wut do
>flip table
then sell them dirt cheap
>>
>>870083
I have done this. Went from NJ to ME to KY. On a ruckus.

Things you need:
saddlebags
netting for under seat
big backpack
ratchet straps to attach backpack on the back of bike.
WATERPROOF bike cover ( important)
1 gal gas can

Camping:
Get a lightweight tent. Eureka solitaire is great and cheap but isnt freestanding.
Cheap camp stove
Cheap mess kit
food/water for 1 day at least
Sleeping bag and pad
Something to camouflage bike and tent for stealth camping on side of road. I used a brown tarp and a greet bedsheet. respectively.

Other:
map of general area, a folding state map is fine. cell phones suck in the middle of nowhere
fix a flat
tire patch kit
full face helmet
Toilet paper

Advice:
resupply whenever possible.
With a 1 gal gas can, your range is about 200 miles. Dont run out of gas. Fill your tank as soon as you see the light come on.
Learn to love the shoulder, but avoid interstates.
Cars will be pissed to be behind you, but theyll only ever have to pass you once. Try to let them whenever possible.
Your bike will be governed at about 42 mph. Dont feel the need to go that fast all the time. Its a tiny bike and thats very fast.

ask me anything.
>>
>>870191
number of miles forced to use interstate?
>>
>>870191
Please. Why do people do this? Is it because you don't need a motorcycle permit? I seriously can't think of a reason why you should do this for fun. Im the GS500 from above.. And its just barely the limit for me. Anything slower and id want to kill myself..

And OP if you want my bike. IMO for 3 grand you can have it.. Nothing wrong with it.. Just I want something different and hell nobodys gonna offer me 3 grand around here for my awesome hackjob.
>>
>>870192
10ish. State and county roads are so much more fun anyway.

>>870193
Because its fun and challenging and slow. If you dont see the draw, then you dont see the draw. You might as well just drive a car or buy a plane ticket. Where is the challenge in riding a motorcycle for 10 hours? Ive done that too. Scooting is just a more interesting, more deliberate way to go.
>>
>>870196
I've done 24hr burns before. If I was physically healthy, I would just bicycle. There's no point in going bicycle speeds, and still internal combustion engine.
>bicycle
>60-80miles a day easy
>>
>>870197

My days on the ruckus would usually range from 200 to 300 miles depending on how ambitious i was feeling. Prob averaging around 35 mph while riding. Again, if you dont see the draw, you never will until you hop on a scooter and try it. It cant really be compared to a motorcycle.

Also bicycles are for pussies. Why not just walk? No point in going such slow speeds, and still rely on a gear driven vehicle.
>>
>>870200
15-20mph+trailer on bicycle is based.

only pro of 35mph I can see is not needing eye protection. trust me, I see the draw, I 35mph around town all the time, I just like the fact I can do a 24hr burn @80mph. that's a game changer, it makes weather an option.

the same monotone of traveling can be had at different speeds, if my goal was 35mph and machine powered, the ruckus would suffice, but the tolerance for alternative energy would be possible.
>>
File: 20359480719_5d118a1ce2_z.jpg (133KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20359480719_5d118a1ce2_z.jpg
133KB, 640x480px
i also traveled on my scooter once (500km in two days) but it was not out related since i visited friends and could stay at their place

i had a backpack and a small jerry can with me
i crossed a border and had no currency for the other side so i needed enough gasoline

this slow way of travelling felt more like a journey to me; it is much more special and i took a lot of impressions of the countryside with me

i got lost a few times and navigated in a general direction which was also fun but i also got on roads which were not suited for a scooter so i always tried to take parallel bicycle ways

my back hurt after a few hours so it is wise to take longer stops

on the way back my old air cooled scooter had problems and could not get over 1000 rpm
i couldnt find the problem and waiting didnt solve it so i had to at least reach the border in that speed
the problem was gone after two hours but keep in mind that those things can break down
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.