[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an ignoramus when it comes to tent buying. Looking for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Big-Agnes-Fly-Creek-UL-21.jpg (54KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Big-Agnes-Fly-Creek-UL-21.jpg
54KB, 640x360px
I'm an ignoramus when it comes to tent buying.
Looking for a sub $250 ultra-light for some 2-3 day outings.

Guide these commercially novice hands to something good, kindly.
>>
Tarp, cot, rope, stakes, pillow, sleeping bag, mre. I'll go back to /k/ now...
>>
>>869600
assuming you're in america, someone mentioned that they just scored that BA Fly Creek for about 250 at the rei garage sales.
>>
>>869608

America, with an REI a short distance away. I may swing by next week to see what's going on.
>>
File: hansel_bryan_140513-34.jpg (200KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
hansel_bryan_140513-34.jpg
200KB, 800x533px
The KELTY TN2 is priced at $250. Only thing is it weighs around 4lbs which is a little heavy for an ultralight.
>>
>>869612
Look at their online clearance. They have some 59% off. Free shipping and returns to store
>>
File: 20160509_130435.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160509_130435.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>869600
Rented that exact tent from http://www.outdoorsgeek.com/
it was insane how small it packed and how light it was (a little bit smaller than a 2 liter bottle and weighted nothing).

was awful with wind and rain in my opinion but im used to 7-9 lb 4 person tents.

but it fit me (230lb 6'3") and my border collie just a tiny bit snug.
>>
>>870816
also you can buy used tents from websites like that at over half-off. They will most likely have a good few patches and repaired seams on them tho.
>>
this lightheart gear solo. only weighs 27 ounces, 260 bucks
>>
>>870822
opps http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/tents/product/view/1/1
>>
>>869600
I just got a BA Fly Creek UL2 a few months ago. The tent was on sale at EMS for $250 or so. It was a huge upgrade over my last tent and so far, so good. However, it does not come with a footprint and they want another $60 USD for it. I found some scrap tyvek and made my own on the cheap. Just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>869600
Why lay $250 for a tent when you can buy a $2 tarp
>>
>>870852

Because tarps don't work in every situation. Keep up man, you're falling behind.
>>
>>869600
MSR Hoopla.

You're welcome.

>>869635
>4# s
> a little heavy for UL

Geuss what, faggot? If it's heavy, it's not UL. Dumbass.
>>
>>870926

Sounds Ike someone has a sexual attraction to their mother and is displaying pent up frustration from their self-loathing.
>>
>>870926
Not that guy, but...

"Heavy" is a relative term such as "hot" or "cold" or "light" for that matter.

If something is "heavy" for ultra light, then it may be "light" for the econo packpacker and "ultra light" for the car camper. Nothing is "cold" because "cold" is simply a reference to something that is "less hot" than another item/area/etc.

Stay in school.
>>
>>869600
>ultra-light
What weight are you looking for? "Ultra-light" is a very subjective term.
>>
>>870949

2lb preferably but if I can stick under 3lb I'd be a happy camper, literally
>>
> Why lay $250 for a tent when you can buy a $2 tarp

Because a tarp doesn't keep the mosquitos and other insects out.
>>
>>871010
Hammock and tarp would probably be your quickest solution, and I don't like sleeping in a hammock. Otherwise your choices will be limited and you'll have to watch sales to have a greater variety in your price range. Hang in there, black Friday is coming.
>>
>>869600
if you want an ultralight shelter check out sixmoondesigns.com
plenty of sup 2 pound shelters for under $250
>>
>>869600
>pic related

Can't link but go to aliexpress dot com and search for nature hike one man tent and this should come up. 1.3 kg excluding footprint and extra stuff. I paid about 65€ for it. I have about 10 nights in it and couldnt be happier, kept me dry and comfy and let me spend money on other stuff like the 350€ sleeping bag insinde :). Tiny though.
>>
>>871811
>click link
>look at tents
>see this
>A significant amount of weight reduction comes from eliminating your normal tent structure. By utilizing your existing hiking poles, you can forgo the weight of the tent poles, plus you're hiking poles become dual duty. By their nature, hiking poles are significantly stronger than your tent pole. This allows you to have an extremely sturdy shelter.
wtf is a hiking pole? Cant i use these tents if i dont have hiking poles? whatever they are
>>
File: 1475317547887.jpg (443KB, 1550x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1475317547887.jpg
443KB, 1550x1600px
>>871879
If you've never heard of a trekking pole they probably aren't for you..
>>
>>871879

They're like walking sticks. Some can be collapsed and packed away. Made from light-weight material. I've been thinking of getting a cheapo pair simply for a hiking tent setup even though I wouldn't really use them for their main purpose. They can open a lot of doors for purchasing tents.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.