[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is there no "middle way" type tent? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

Why the fuck is there no "middle way" type tent?

It's either a $50 Walmart tent like pic which is, despite its flimsiness, nice and easy to put up, or a $500 SuperUltra HikingBrand 50PRODOUCHE tent with a gorillion straps and poles and shit that needs a fucking degree in Tent Setting to put up.

So, what's a good middle way? Something not too heavy, not too flimsy, and not too complicated?
>>
File: IMG_2030.jpg (97KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2030.jpg
97KB, 640x1136px
>>867929
Look at Dick's. I'm a non-paid shill for them, but they are great for the stuff between Walmart and REI. They have been having a lot of sales on tents lately too, especially Thursdays with their flash sales. Kelty and Marmot and then even nicer Coleman or their Field & Stream stuff.
>>
The shit at REI is decent

I have this, passage 2 160 bucks.
>>
Some budget Kelty tents get pretty good reviews
>>
File: dreams.jpg (55KB, 306x617px) Image search: [Google]
dreams.jpg
55KB, 306x617px
Check out ALPS Mountaineering.

https://www.amazon.com/Alps-Mountaineering-Lynx-Person-Tent/dp/B0167JJ4SG/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

They make solid relatively-lightweight tents for cheap. Have a one-man Lynx and it's done me just fine for backpacking. Obviously read the various reviews depending on the product, but I recommend the company.
>>
>>867989

Actually just checked and the tent I was talking about is now only $75 at Amazon. (It was around 100 when I bought mine.)

https://www.amazon.com/Alps-Mountaineering-Lynx-Tent-2015/dp/B00OHXD62A/ref=pd_day0_200_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OHXD62A&pd_rd_r=QJKZS8H7RCEQ18TBCEHK&pd_rd_w=2mrZR&pd_rd_wg=D1zBN&refRID=QJKZS8H7RCEQ18TBCEHK
>>
>>867929
REI has some decent tents. I picked up a Half-Dome for less than 200 iirc and it's done me great so far.
>>
>>867929
Either wait for a nice tent to go on clearance or get an entry-level model from REI.
>>
>>867989
Ditto.

My Alps Mountaineering Chaos 3 is my favorite two person.

My Eureka! Backcountry is my fav solo.
>>
File: 0820161124_HDR-1024x1820.jpg (857KB, 1024x1820px) Image search: [Google]
0820161124_HDR-1024x1820.jpg
857KB, 1024x1820px
90$
>>
>>867929
>high quality, expensive goods ARE FOR DOUCHES
sucks being poor doesn't it?
>>
>>867929
A Eureka Timberline is ~$250

I still use a Eureka Timberline my dad bought used from a boy scout troop in 1982. It's worth buying quality.

Otherwise, get a good tarp and learn how to use it.
>>
>>867931
>Coleman or their Field & Stream stuff
lol, no

>>867929
See: >>868323

Eureka A-frames are about the easiest tent to set up ever invented, except for maybe single-pole tents.
>>
>>867929
ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1 high quality durable light very good under heavy rain and its a regular tent.
$80 and another $15 for the footprint, which I recommend due to its versatility.

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-5024617-Lynx-1-Person/dp/B00BMKD1DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475457354&sr=8-1&keywords=lynx+1

Seriously good tent
>>
File: IMG_2029.jpg (117KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2029.jpg
117KB, 640x1136px
>>868324
Some of the Field & Stream stuff isn't bad. At least better than Walmart shit and those store brands are normally manufactured by an OE company that makes more expensive brands.

And of course people would shit on Coleman but OP may just be a car camper who hates Walmart.

I still stand by my Dicks. The past couple months, those Flash Sales have had Eureka, Kelty, and Marmot tents that normally retail $200-$300 for 50%-70% off. Pic related wasn't even the best deal.
>>
>>868263
name?
>>
File: texsport2man.jpg (36KB, 342x285px) Image search: [Google]
texsport2man.jpg
36KB, 342x285px
>>867929
how about pay less for more simple and adequately functional? It's like $30. You need to seam seal and get better guideline cord but I don't mind one of these at all. It doesn't breath great though and that's my only real dislike. Also you can just carve the poles to prop the thing up from sticks as well if you don't feel like carrying the aluminum ones out with you which is also a plus.
>>
Kelty and REI

I use the Seek Outside Lil' Bug Out shelter which is modular and expandable. I use two shelter halves but will eventually give one of those to my wife and then have a vestibule for just me, then a center tarp piece for when its both of us or I take muh doggo

Go check them out. US designed and built, EXTREMELY light and small and holds up well, also very subdued colors.

Part of why I dislike most tents is the colors. I don't like standing out.

Alternatively you could go with a hammock.
>>
File: Eureka Timberline.jpg (51KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Eureka Timberline.jpg
51KB, 960x960px
>>867929
>So, what's a good middle way? Something not too heavy, not too flimsy, and not too complicated?

Eureka Timberline.

They've been making the same tent since the 1970s, because it's a good solid dependable design and can be had for $200-$250.
>>
>>868330
Seconding ALPS Mountaineering as well. Been using their Mystique 2.0 two man tent for a couple years now and it's been a great tent. $130 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Mystique-2-0-Tent/dp/B00J53WM7M
>>
Kelty salida everyday.
>>
>>868448
Seek Outside guy here

I had a Timberline 2 for a while. Still have it actually, just don't use it. Nice solid tent. I do take it on occasion I want a free standing tent
>>
My stormbreak2 by north face is douche approved and 160 buck
>>
File: Eureka Timberline 4 man.jpg (45KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
Eureka Timberline 4 man.jpg
45KB, 380x380px
>>868475
>I had a Timberline 2 for a while. Still have it actually, just don't use it.

Same here, I got the Timberline 2-man years back but should have gotten the 4-man model and soon replaced it with a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6-man but otherwise, the Timberline is a good tent for a good price.
>>
>>868482
Yeah, agreed. It'd still be a good car camping tent for me if I had got the 4 man. My wife doesn't like the 2-man because she doesn't have room and our giant-ass dogs cant be in it. We found something on Promotive we want to replace it with but I forget the brand.
>>
>>868486
Looking at the Eureka Know Hill right now. 5lb tent for 150 bong dollars. Seems like a decent deal.
>>
OP here.

Ended up with buying a Wabakimi 2 from Eureka. £150 for an all season 6lb tent that packs to nothing.
>>
>>867931
Dick's is overpriced garbage
>>
>>868263
Does your dog stay with you in the tent?
>>
>>867937
mfw i got a 140 dollar half dome for 40 dollars at their garage sale.
>>
>>868499
>6lb
fuckin hell.
>>
>>869171
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>867929
Any tent can be good if you set it up right. The expensive models only matter when you care about weight which isn't the case for most people who camp *cough car campers *cough.
>>
>>869163
Best place to get shit too. People buy shit and realise they will never use it. Sell for cheap. Americans are stupid consumer whores.
>>
Anyone know of any good replacement tent poles superior to a manufactures poles? i'd like to keep some spare in case my tent poles break.
>>
>>867929
REI quarter dome isn't that bad.

Poncho hooch isn't that bad unless you got bug problems.
>>
>>869111
>overpriced
Compared to who? Used shit on eBay and garage sales? They are way cheaper than Bass Pro and Cabela's, and REI is even worse.
>>
>>867958
I have a Kelly Salida 2. It's a great, lightweight tent
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.