[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always been using carbon steel mora knives but I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (709KB, 1733x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
709KB, 1733x3264px
I've always been using carbon steel mora knives but I have never learned to take care of them.
Polished off the worst rust with some steel wool since I'm using it in a competition tomorrow.

What else should I do?

>friend told me some bs about dipping it in milk
>>
Throw it away and order a stainless one you dumb fuck. Moras stainless steel outperforms its carbon. Morakniv has stated this, and the only reason they push carbon so much is that the retarded american market thinks its fucking gods gift to knives. Help me help you anon.
>>
>>862533
So educate me. What's so great about ss?
>>
>>862517
Good lord that edge. What have you been doing with it that has chipped it so much??
>>
>>862537
Not him but could it be the thing they don't need so much care?
>>
>>862539
Years of splitting wood and outdoors cooking.

>>862540
But I don't take care of my knife and it still does its job. Well.

Not trying to start shit with knifaboos, I'm a knife pleb and I know it.
Still, I think the milk bath is a ruse so I'm here for your opinions.
>>
I think you can do something involving vinegar? im not really sure. the best thing to do would be just maintain the knife well enough that it doesn't get so bad because that knife is horrible
>>
>>862543
Why would you split wood with your mora? Carry a damn hatchet
>>
>>862548
Competetive fire making.
>Don't ask
>>
>>862549
hahaha yeah I won't go there buddy, carry on
>>
Never looked into it as I never have needed more than steel wool + oil

But, if you want it polished, you'll need various grits of sandpaper and work on it till you get the desired polish you want
>>
>>862551
What's the oil for though?
>>
>>862553

Guess it lets the rust come off easier or something (WD40 in my case).

That was I taught to use on rust on gunz, and I took it over to knives.

Polishing is another matter entirely and out of my league other than knowing you need various grits of sandpaper and go from there
>>
Alright thanks for the advice guys.
I'll just leave it in milk to be on the safe side.
Wish me luck in competetive firemaking tomorrow!
>>
File: MoraPatinas-02.jpg (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MoraPatinas-02.jpg
114KB, 1024x768px
>>862517
Do a vinegar patina. They can look pretty good or at least better then this one and it will cut down on the rust. Also heard you can stab it through a couple oranges and leave it set for a different look.
>>
>>862517
Next time you buy a carbon steel blade if it is bare metal, put a diy patina on it. I did with my mora HD companion. Used distilled white vinegar. Turned the blade a smoky black/ gray color. Fairly tough, and only cost me 86¢. Look up how to on YouTube.
>>
>>862517
>USE OFTEN
>PUT AWAY DRY

/thread
>>
The staining on the knife doesn't actually matter. You just don't want it to keep rusting.
>>
>>862952

>Rub some WD40 on the metal before putting it away if you're OCD
>>
>>862573

This, also works with citric acid.

The blade turns darker and is protected from rust.
>>
>>862981
Also potatoes
>>
Stab a couple of people in the bladder
>>
Stainless is less strong, way better corrosion resistance though. I believe it's about a 30-40% difference in strength.

If you use steel wool to clean rust, use stainless. If you use carbon steel wool it will leave carbon steel specks which can corrode
>>
>>862978
>as long as you're not using it as a cooking utensil
>>
>>862517
i have a half done 1095 steel blade on my desk for a year now no finish whatsoever no oils nothing i don't see a speck of rust on it. the fuck you are doing putting the knife away wet?
>>
>>863095
Anon, just dont post if you dont know what youre talking about. Fuck.
>>
>>863095
Wut?

>>863556
+1
>>
>>862553
Oil helps protect the metal from corrosion by keeping it separated from the air. It also has a secondary purpose of lubricating while you use abrasives, giving you a much more consistent and easier polishing job
>>
>>863584

no need to use oil on your whetstone, friend, that's what water is for (makes a perfect polishing slurry)

The lack of knowledge in this thread is shocking.
>>
>>863604
>whetstone
Where did you learn this from?

All I see now days is two people who think they're right?

"Look it up, faggot!"

From who? from the guy who told the guy you're telling me is wrong?!?

I don't even believe YOU!
>>
>>863613
If you use oil on your stone instead of water you are a keyboard warrior who is probably subscribed to some serious neckbeard jewtube channels and gets all his info from his sanic role play buddies.
>>
>>862573
you can also put it in a mug of chilled coffee over night
gives it a nice very dark patina
>>
>>863095

Stainless isn't as tough. At the same hardness, a piece of ss will snap before a piece of carbon steel will.

This is why tools are made from carbon steel.

I have both and I feel Mora's SS is pretty soft. Much softer than their carbon steel. I think the edge retention is pretty shitty on their SS.
>>
>>863604

Ever heard of oil stones? The rest of us have.
>>
>>864125
of course I have but you don't say anything about that in your post do you. All you're going to get is a butch of newbies fucking up sharpening stones and armchair /out/ists passing on your half truths.

Simple fact people will argue about anything, most would agree water stones better than oil stones - partially because the way they sharpen, but probably mostly because water is way easier to source, and easier to work with.

>sharpening in the field no worries
>no oily greasy sharpening stone
>>
just go outside and stab into the ground with it, the sand in the dirt will polish the crud off of it better than these techniques that these dingleberrys here are suggesting
>>
>>864261

Listen asshole, oil stones are extremely common and referred to as "whetstones" all over the world, especially in the USA. So telling everyone they shouldn't use oil on their whetstone is just as foolish as telling them they should only use oil on their whetstones.

How to operate their sharpening abrasive depends on what type it is. This is the only blanket statement that applies. Some use oil, some use water, some use either, some use none. This is the truth.

You fail to understand how your "half truth" confuses people that aren't super knowledgeable about stones.

You fucking autist.
>>
File: image.jpg (323KB, 1054x1761px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
323KB, 1054x1761px
Op here.
Sorry for wasting everybody's time, I guess this was a touchy subject.
I'll just keep on doing my thing I guess, since my knife served me well so far.
>btw I got first place with my team this weekend
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>864328
Hey op, I've never heard the milk thing. And it seems like all you're asking for is basic maintenance techniques. In order to care for a carbon steel blade properly is rather simple. When you get done using it, wipe it off and make sure it's dry and clean of any residue. After that you need to keep the blade oiled. I personally use olive or vegetable oil. It doesn't take a lot, just enough to keep a thin coat on the blade. After that, just resheath the knife and go on your way.

>>pic related
>>
>>862543
The stainless mora stays sharp longer and is less prone to chipping and more durable in general.
>>
>>862537
>What's so great about ss?
nothing. It rusts too and doesn't keep as good an edge.

submerge in apple cider vinegar. Alternatively go to auto store and buy rust remover. Apply with q tip to pitted areas to clean. While there buy some say 600-2500 grit sandpaper and work over the face to shine it up. finish off with some polishing compound like for cars, or silvo or some fine clay or even toothpaste.

You should really sharpen that thing and work out the nicks.
>>
>>862537
if you live in cold damp salty weather like the north seas it's not an option to have carbon steel instead of stainless, inland you get to choose.
>>
>>863123
>otherwise use balistol
>>
>>862517
Leave it in vinegar overnight, it'll remove rust and develop a forced patina, also, quit mining iron, redstone and diamonds with it you moron.
>>
>>862540
Uncle Ray Ray once said stainless has no "soul", my interpretation of that statement is he thinks that a patina and staining gives the knife character or a "soul", and because Uncle Ray said something, it's the word of gospel, that's also why the Gränsfors small forest ax now costs $200.
>>
>>863029
Wait really? You're telling me if i stab a carbon steel blade in solid form vodka (potato) it develops a patina?
>>
>>863123
>>864760
Or camellia oil, olive oil, pumpkin oil, vegetable oil, cooking oil, good 'ol man juice if you want it food safe, if you don't then literally any thing will work, rubbing wax on it, dubbin for leather,wd40, if you can apply it it'll probably work
>>
I, personally, would not use any kind of "food" oil, like olive or vegetable oil, on a knife. Not because it would be bad for the blade, because it isn't, but because it can and will go rancid on you if you don't use the blade all the time.

Usually if I put anything on a carbon steel blade that isn't an acid patina, it's mineral oil.

You know, that laxative stuff you can get in the pharmacy for like $3 for a bottle that holds enough for probably literally an entire lifetime of uses, and never goes bad.

While it [i]is[/i] a laxative, there isn't enough on the blade to even worry about, if it transferred to your food on a food knife, and on a field knife it matters not at all.
>>
>>864768
Anything that's acidic will do the trick. The stronger the acid, the less time it takes for it to work.

A potato, coffee, milk, etc. are all just mildly acidic, so it can take some time, hours even, for it to work. While a fruit like an orange or grapefruit is much more acidic and it goes much faster.

I think with vinegar (I find apple cider vinegar gives a much darker color than white) it usually takes about half an hour.
>>
>>864741

So, before the availibility of SS, people in this region used stone blades? They skipped carbon steel entirely because "it's not an option"?

I think not. They made due with carbon steel. It required more care, but it worked just fine.
>>
>>864804
coffee does also lead to an irion-phosphate alloying
don't know if the others do this phosphating as well
>>
>>864649
>stainless
>less prone to chipping
Choose one.
>>
>>863604
>whetstone
>>
>>864298
So you're saying you can use water on oil stones and vice versa? Kek.

Water is just plain easier to work with, it's that simple.

>>864769
I don't know, I'd think food grade mineral oil would be the safest.

Or you could, you know, just use your knives often and put them away dry. Don't store knives in leather sheaths, also. I have never oiled any of my knives.
>>
>>864839
it's true tho, you seem to be living in the previous century.
>>
>>865323
>So you're saying...

um, nope. Didn't say that.

I think you might be retarded.

>>865341

Um, nope. At the same hardness carbon steel is tougher than stainless. Tougher = more flex and less break.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>864820
2 days coffee the whole mora
1 hour mustard to the left
It did only develop the coffee Patina in direct contact to coffee ground
>>
>>865760
if that was true you could use stainless steel better than carbon with flint. but alas it's a total lie.
>>
File: 1392059465832.jpg (170KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1392059465832.jpg
170KB, 400x400px
>>864124
>Stainless isn't as tough. At the same hardness, a piece of ss will snap before a piece of carbon steel will.
>This is why tools are made from carbon steel.

pls stahp
>>
>>865875
looks like you need to sharpen your knife, friend
>>
File: index.jpg (11KB, 166x303px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11KB, 166x303px
>this entire fucking thread full of misinformation and half truths
>mfw as a machinist this entire
>fucking
>thread
>only like four people telling OP to just clean it off well, give it a good sharpen and then keep the damn thing oiled like he should have from the start
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.