[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How am I supposed to use a rain cover while still having my tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (27KB, 250x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 250x440px
How am I supposed to use a rain cover while still having my tent or sleeping pad strapped to the top/bottom of my bag?
>>
You can buy, or make a larger cover, or have a dry bag for the tent, and leave it outside the cover. You may need to make holes in the bottom of the rain cover, so you can still lash the tent to the outside.

I solve this issue by using a hammock and not needing a tent or sleeping pad.
>>
>>858936
My pack has two strips of webbing with buckles on the bottom. The problem is that the buckle terminates on the bottom of the pack, so a rain cover would cover it. I'm thinking that I could maybe add another buckle, but on the back of the pack towards the bottom, that way t should really interfere with the rain cover.
>>
>>858920

You pack sleeping bag and inflatable pad inside the back.

>Having shit outside of your pack

This is how you spot the N00000bZ
>>
>>858963
Homeless fags and nooobiez are the only retards that hike in the rain.
>>
>>858966

Fair point, that also.
>>
>>858966
I like to hike in the rain because it keeps al the filthy casuals like you away.
>>
>>858966
I'm hiking the AT next season. I don't know if I'd have enough room for 5 days of food in my pack if I don't keep one of the two items on the outside.
>>
>>858966
Spotted the dayhiker.
>>
>>859025
Bigger bag??
>>
>>858920
bigger rain cover.
Instantly and easily solves your problem.

>>858966
hahahahahahaha
Like one can choose whatever weather befalls him on his adventure.
>>859075 is right on the money.
>>
get a cuben fiber pack big enough to fit everything inside, and you won't need a rain cover.
>>
File: 3400_wr_blk_side_2.jpg (126KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3400_wr_blk_side_2.jpg
126KB, 800x1200px
>>859138
>>
>>858963
>get big heavy duty trash bag
>put one in pack
>put tent and other shit in it
>profit???
>>
>>858920

Get a rain cover that fits over you back pack with the tent and sleeping bag attached
>>
>>858920
Bring an umbrella
>>
>>858920

>tent or sleeping pad strapped to the top/bottom of my bag

Everything should fit in your bag. But that can't happen if you are tacticool, poor or stupid.or all three. You have demonstrated you are stupid, a millennial faggot and probably gay. I do feel bad that you never had a dad
>>
>>859950
>Everything should fit in your bag.
You've never winter/cold country camped have you sport? Good luck fitting a cold rated sleeping bag thats worth a fuck inside your pack when its way better to attach it to the bottom of your pack

Stop giving shitty advice you know nothing about and stay in the ultra light weekender threads.
>>
>2016
>needing a rain cover for a backpack

Wew lads.
>>
>>859977
What cheap fuck bag do you use? Anything worth a damn can compress down into nothing, my Enigma quilt(quilts shit on bags) compresses down to the size of a fucking tissue box. Your bag(get a fucking quilt) always goes in the pack, at the very bottom. Why risk compromising the thing that keeps you from freezing to death? I love seeing weekend low mile day hikers with shit on the outside of the pack, fucking amateurs
>>
>>859977
>>
Wear poncho that covers both you and backpack
>>
File: tmp_5198-images(30)1522789588.jpg (11KB, 183x276px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5198-images(30)1522789588.jpg
11KB, 183x276px
>>860035
>quilts shit on bags
Yes please tell me how your quilt works out in Canadian winter camping ultra light fag. Stick to your temperate state park outings numbnuts. But by all means stay mad at how people don't do it your way.
>>
>>860035
I always find shit like this hilarious.

Quilts are to sleeping bags like tarps are to freestanding tents. They work great but only in a much more limited set of circumstances, which means 99% of people recommending them have barely any real experience and think that every outing involves good campsites with fair weather.
>>
>>860053
Worked just fine faggot during 2 months of winter faggot
>>
>>860070
I used a quilt for 7 months straight, asscunt. Kept me totally warm through feb-march no problems. More weekend low mile amateur "hikers" spotted.
>>
>>860117
>>860119
Yeah I heard those southern cali winters are brutal champ

>faggot, faggot, asscunt
at least your not mad...
>>
>>860124
Holy shit why does everyone argue constantly here.
>>
File: it'th pothible.jpg (32KB, 286x330px) Image search: [Google]
it'th pothible.jpg
32KB, 286x330px
>>860119
>feb-march is now 7 months
>>
>>858920
Either get a bigger rain cover or do what I do and not use on.
Instead I have the contents of my bag stowed inside a couple layers of plastic bag so that it does not matter if the outside of my bag gets wet. Then if I do put anything on the outside, it is either stuff that doesn't need to stay dry or I can separately wrap that as well.
>>
man what is wrong with /out/
are you nerds really this bitter you'd argue so hard over a quilt vs a sleeping bag?
both have a job and do them fine.
both have pros and cons
both are currently making you two idiots look more than petty.

>>860152
I road my bike 100km. It handled the 3km incline fine with no problems
>"HURR DURR 3km is 100km"

you realise the only person you're making look stupid is yourself, right?
>>
>>858920
Get a giant trash bag and cover your pack with it. Significantly cheaper, lighter, and easier to manage
>>
>>860053
>I camp at the north pole
>Me so manly

Sure you do buddy boy
>>
>>860301
>north pole is in canada guise
American education at its finest.
>>
>>860160
You sound like a bitter old woman
>>
>>860317
>Implying Canada teaches American education

Looks like you cucked yourself m8
>>
>>859181
This is what I do. It's cheap, effective, works with any pack, and it gets gear-queers bent out of shape.
>>
>>859025
How much do you eat nigga? I went on a 10 day hike and kept everything inside my bag
>>
>>858920

buy a bigger bag

buy a bigger rain cover

realise that your tent is waterproof and it doesn't matter if it gets wet?
>>
>>859977
A 0 F bag can compress to a 20x30 cylinder. A bundled up 3-man tent can stand upright in your bag. Add to that a Nalgene-sized Neoair or equivalent and that is your sleeping system. You have now over half a pack of space left if you have a 60-70 liter bag. Maybe add a down jacket, extra socks/underwear, a stove and food and water. If you want to hike for a week without resupplying, get a bigger bag.
>>
>>858966
Day hiking in the rain is the best though.
>>
>>859481
This. I've never had an issue with a pack cover not covering everything.
>>
>>858920
How big is your current cover? How long are your tent poles?

I covered up my Kelty Yukon with one of these carrying a tent, sleeping bag, etc. on the outside.
https://www.campmor.com/c/outdoor-products-backpack-rain-cover
>>
>>860473
This is a terrible strategy. Compartmentalized water proofing with 1 and 2 gallon ziploc bags is far more effective. If you get a hole in your trash bag all your shit can get wet at once.

>>861730
Not that guy, but as a scout my "trail snacks" for half a week came out to about 5 lbs of jerky, power bars, slim jims, string cheese, cheddar, pepperoni, granola bars, etc. I resupplied with an equal amount half way through. It changes from person to person and is 100% subjective. Personally I always have a snack handy.
>>
>>861875
>If you get a hole in your trash bag all your shit can get wet at once.
That's why you triple wrap and carry spares. Although unless I'm crossing a river I doubt a small hole is in the plastic bag is going to soak all my belongings.
>>
>>858920
Short answere: Not
Long answere: You are not supposed to use a rain cover while still having your tent or sleeping pad strapped to the top/bottom of your bag.
>>
>>862264
You're still putting all your eggs in one basket- which is a terrible plan.

Additionally, to replace the bag you'd have to remove all your items and repack with a new bag. I've hiked through rain for a week straight and I still had dry gear even though my rain gear was saturated by the end of it.
>>
>>859800
kek
>>
>>860473
no it doesn't most ultralight thru hikers just use trash compacter bags instead of stuff sacks.
>>
>2016
>not using a cuben fiber pack from Zpacks or Hyperlite
>needing a pack cover
>>
>>858980
this
>>
File: MobilComputer.jpg (48KB, 577x401px) Image search: [Google]
MobilComputer.jpg
48KB, 577x401px
>>858920
use a heavy duty trash bag as a liner. Use two if you plan a longer trip. Pack your tent in a water proof bag or use another trash bag and attach it to the bottom of your pack.
If it's outside of your pack, you should have a good reason for it being there.
>>
>>858966
>>858966
I love hiking in the rain, your are just a fucking normie fag..

Rain = natures nomie repellent.
>>
>>860133

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, Yessssssssssssssssssss.

People from kalifphornia never see rain, and think their north face shit is the shit and they usually weigh 340lbs and only day hike in a park with their denim jeans and tactical 20l pack.

People in Canada are stuck up, thinking only their country is cold, and Americans are pussies no matter what.

Then you got the arc'terx. icebreaker, tnf, fjallraven shills on here that have never seen any other brand out there, so they only assume that shit is the best.

Of course you got normies here who are simply afraid of the rain. Or never hiked in a down pour, while it is 34f day and 20f at night out which is far worse than hiking in 0f IME.

But we argue, because this is the opposite of some shitting circle jerk you'll find elsse where.
>>
>>865834
true...

...or is this too much of a circle jerk?
>>
>>861844
And walk with a 100 liter pack in mid summer? I can't afford 3 good packs dude.

My only decent pack is a 45 liter pack and for winter i strap two 5 liter external side pockets to it, and a rolled up winter ridge rest on top. It works if i resupply every 3 days don't have to camp on a 3000 m high mountain 3000.
>>
>>859950
I agree on everything should fit in the bag, but you can do that with tacticool things too you know, a 65L bag is a 65L bag.
I agree because of the raincover problem, and the fact that i hate the feeling of something sticking out of the nice shape of a bag pack, it snags on absolutely everything. I find it to be a burden. Though if you can't afford nice things like a down sleeping bag or a small sleeping mat then you have it on the outside.

Lets be honest, as long as people go outside and enjoys nature, what is the big fucking problem?

The problem with things outside the pack can be dealt with by using big plastic trash bags, it works like a charm. I was in the situation with where it began to rain with inexperienced people, so we had to improvise cover to fit the shape of their bag pack.
>>
File: ponchogirl.jpg (213KB, 611x600px) Image search: [Google]
ponchogirl.jpg
213KB, 611x600px
>>858920

Serious answer, use a poncho, it will keep you AND your gear dry. Make sure it can be tied around your waist, in case of serious wind or if you have to climb.

A poncho is also good as a small tarp for gear, an emergency bivvy, a groundsheet and a million other uses.
>>
File: 1472005536312.gif (776KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
1472005536312.gif
776KB, 245x200px
>>858966
You're doing it wrong.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.