[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a pond on my property that is full of water from autumn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: pond.jpg (125KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
pond.jpg
125KB, 640x428px
I have a pond on my property that is full of water from autumn until june. Then it dried up.
Im wondering if I dug down in the center I could hit some sort of water source and the pond would stay hydrated ..
I guess my real question is how do ponds form and would this even work?
theres no streams anywhere around the pond and its 100% naturally occurring
>>
File: vvv.jpg (484KB, 2048x1529px) Image search: [Google]
vvv.jpg
484KB, 2048x1529px
>>855441
Here is a pic of pond when its hydrated
>>
Water dries up because it evaporates and forms because there's a depression there. You would have to dig really far down to even hit the water table and it wouldn't just spring forth and keep your pond filled.
>>
Theres a pond about every 1/4 mile in my area.
Most were dug to water livestock in the old days.
Some are fed by springs and are full year round, some are seasonal like yours.
I have a small pond myself that fills up from water seeping out of the mountainside during the rainy season- but its been dry for months.

Its possible that you could hit an artesian well- that's a well that because of geology the water is pressurized and will come to the surface on its own once a pathway is drilled for it.
Most likely though you would just get a normal well- water level would be below the surface and need to pumped out.

Springs/artesian wells are common here in central Georgia, I would research your area to find out if its even common.

Cost would be a couple grand to drill it
>>
File: flowingwell.jpg (529KB, 903x654px) Image search: [Google]
flowingwell.jpg
529KB, 903x654px
>>855697
Yeah, chances are overwhelmingly in favor of just drilling a regular well.

Modifying subsurface flows for something like this would also be irresponsible.
>>
>>855441
A layer of clay.
>>
>>855441
It's called a vernal pond and it's supposed to do that.
>>
>>855441
The pond is drying out because the water table in your area is going down seasonally.

If you dig you are very likely to find water, but it's not going to fill the pond. It will just be however far in the ground it happens to be.

There are a bunch of ponds like that around here. Their full after the snow melts and slowly lose ground all summer unless there is a lot of rain. This year I am trying to expand mine but it's been so wet I have to pump it out daily to keep the water our of my work area. Last year it was completely dry in August.
>>
>>857637
this, +1, etc

https://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/abstracts/ecology/vernal_pool.pdf
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.