[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is sleeping outside with no mat so bad? I just slept outside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (61KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 425x282px
Why is sleeping outside with no mat so bad?

I just slept outside in a sleeping bag with no mat and it feels like my inner organs hurt. I definitely shouldn't do this again, but what is actually the cause?

Is it the ground draining my body warmth or the irregularities of the ground that affect me so much?
>>
humans are squishy, the ground is not
>>
Hard on joints and our natural skeletal alignments
>>
You've slept with a pillow on a soft-ass mattress or mat every night of your life, your body (read: muscles) can't handle not having it.
>>
File: sad man and shrek.png (128KB, 579x523px) Image search: [Google]
sad man and shrek.png
128KB, 579x523px
>>855008
>tfw south american
>tfw ants EVERYWHERE
>>
File: 1444468246239.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
1444468246239.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
you don't need a mat. if you've got a good sleeping bag and good clothes then you'll be fine. if it's cold or you're uncomfortable, just get some leaves or pine boughs or grass and pile it up to make a bed.
mats are completely unecessary.
>>
>>855037
lmao gtfo
>>
>>855032
Make a ring of salt around you when you sleep.
>>
>>855079
PISS SPRINKLER!
>>
>>855037
I mean you're not wrong but that's not the best way to go about it.
>>855057
you know that there's more than one way to accomplish something right?
>>
>Is it the ground draining my body warmth
Yes

>>855057
He isn't wrong. Leaves, grass, cardboard etc all accomplish the same thing
>>
>>855026
This, at least for most people. Yes, the grain does drain warmth, but it sounds like OP was just uncomfortable.

I've done it a bunch (sleeping bag on tarp, no padding), and I've always been fine, but that's because I always grew up sleeping on thin, shit mattresses because my parents were poor. So I'm used to sleeping on hard surfaces. Normal mattresses are actually kind of uncomfortable to me and I have a hard time sleeping on them. But if you're not used to it, yeah, it's going to feel like shit.
>>
File: bamboo-mat.jpg (2MB, 3111x2074px) Image search: [Google]
bamboo-mat.jpg
2MB, 3111x2074px
Go sleep in southeast asia for a week.

Hard bamboo mat on the floor, 100 degrees, 100 humidity, nude, after shitting your guts out.

>the soft dirt ground hurts
Ok
>>
>>855244
>I went through worse so that makes your problem/concern void!
People like you are the worst type of faggots. Not OP but the conditions where I live will never ever be like that, not to mention my lack of interest for such a shitty place on this planet. Who the fuck goes to southeast asia? that's your own problem for being stupid enough to be there, not mine. If you have nothing good to contribute why post at all? +1 for trolling me hard
>>
>>855244
>the soft dirt ground hurts
>implying that's the problem at all
I'd trade some of that testosterone for some brain cells if I were you, Rambo
>>
>>855079
Would this actually work?
>>
>>855079
Silly ants will just dig below it
>>
>>855008
I think you're just a bitch. Stay indoors on your nice comfy bed.
>>
>>855037
Cool picture bro. Where at?
>>
>>855314
Not likely. I made it up and I don't even think it's plausible.
>>
Uh, as long as you aint on fucking rocks, sleeping on the ground should be fine.

I used to go with just a sleeping bag on the ground over hundreds of times when I was in the military.

Do you go /out/ in a quarry area of something OP?
>>
>>855466
He is obviously just a soft bitch.
>>
>>855008
I slept on the floor for two years with no problems. Maybe because the outside ground is uneven?
>>
File: image.jpg (663KB, 1473x959px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
663KB, 1473x959px
OP here.

The place I slept is pictured. I was at the foot of a mountain, so it was a challenge to find a more or less flat surface.

At noon I napped on a bench for an hour which was very comfortable, so I'm sure that the irregularities of the ground don't mix well with my back. It had felt like the ground with its bumps and stones was deforming my back or somehow deeply pressing to my organs through my skin.

I learned my lesson and will get a mat. If one wants to go all-terrain when sleeping, a mat is a must. Sleeping bag only only works on a mossy underground or when making a bed with fern.
>>
>>855008
It was the spiders trampling you in your sleep.
>>
>>855244
>100 degrees, 100 humidity, nude

Sounds like where I live in summer. Remind me never to vacation in S.E. Asia.

>thank fuck fall is here now
>>
>>855214
Somebody hasn't gone snow camping... ever.

Where the fuck to you go /out/? A landfill?
>>
>>855736
What makes you say that? I used cardboard in a pinch while camping around cities touring festivals, shows and whatnot. Its much better than no ground isolation at all. I'm more of a traveler than a weekend camper.

Whats with the snow, curious
>>
File: 90645425.webm (939KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
90645425.webm
939KB, 640x480px
>>855008
>I just slept outside in a sleeping bag with no mat and it feels like my inner organs hurt
quit being fat
>>
>>855769
>Whats with the snow, curious

Nothing. He thinks snow is nice and soft like a mat to lay on. In reality it is the hardest and lumpiest sleep you'll ever fucking have because it compacts, melts, recompacts, forms divots & lumps, and is generally a pain in the ass if you don't have enough padding.

>>855795
Actually, being fat allows you to have a more comfortable sleep because you literally fill in divots and take on lumps in the ground, more evenly distributing the applied forces. Skinny people can't get as comfortable as fat people because of this, instead they rely more heavily on comfy soft blankets, pads, and mats. A skinny person will find most chairs to be uncomfortable while a fat person almost never finds an uncomfortable chair

>>855008
>>855015 is correct. It has to do with your hips, shoulders, and spine alignment. You are used to having a soft bed where your hips and shoulders press into the bed. That allows your body to be more evenly supported along the spine. On a hard, unyielding surface your hips and shoulders don't press into it. Instead your midsection/spine will push down out of normal alignment in respect to your hips and shoulders which are being pushed up

This causes all sorts of problems, but can also solve some problems. This can actually realign your hips so they are not out of place, if you have that problem. It can stop lower back pain from misalignment of the spine. However, it can cause misalignment of the rotator cuffs of your shoulders causing all sorts of shoulder problems (normally only happens if you try to lay on your side.) The best thing to do is to have enough padding to prevent this while not having so much that it harms your lower back and hips

If you are new to laying on hard surfaces, it will take about 2 weeks to get used to how to sleep on them without hurting. Some of that will be arm placement but also using a pillow between your legs when on your side or under the arm that's facing the sky when on your side
>>
>>855845
Thank you for the detailed reply!
>>
File: relags-alu-isomatte.jpg (417KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
relags-alu-isomatte.jpg
417KB, 1000x750px
>>855845
>Actually, being fat allows you to have a more comfortable sleep
no. your own weight squishes your guts.

>>855008
>I just slept outside in a sleeping bag with no mat and it feels like my inner organs hurt.

I am skinny/sporty build. And I use a sun windshield.
>>
I've never carried a mat before, but I've only ever gone on outings in Texas, Montana, and Washington. (Maybe the soil in those places isn't bad?) Texas was a bit rocky, but not bad.
>>
>>855848
>no. your own weight squishes your guts.

lol No. You'd need to be fucking massive for that to happen and it would happen on a normal bed. It wouldn't matter where you slept.

I've been overweight and ottermode skinny. Both suck for many reasons, but while I was fat, I was fucking comfortable and hot everywhere and when I was skinny I was uncomfortable and cold everywhere. Being a proper weight is so much better than either.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.