[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright climbing fags. I need some advice. I've never really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: rappelling-single-strand(2).jpg (64KB, 550x920px) Image search: [Google]
rappelling-single-strand(2).jpg
64KB, 550x920px
alright climbing fags. I need some advice.

I've never really climbed before but I've absailed a few of them shit walls at climbing centres and stuff.

Anyway. I need to get a geocache that under a bridge over a river (it's a little pot that magnetic and stuck under) there seems to be two schools of thought on this one. Canoe and build a human pyramid, or rapelling off the bridge and pulling yourself under.

I'm opting for the rapel method.

So I'm using a setup like the one featured and I was testing it in my garden on a tree just to make sure it holds before I go dangling off a bridge and I found the rope easily slid through and I had to pull down hard to get enough friction to hold me. I was just using a shitty camping rope that about 10mm thick.

Question is this. Apart from the glaring obvious reason of safety. What else is different about climbing rope to bog standard camping rope. is it more abrassive to help get a better hold?
>>
I see u took my advice op. Welcome to /out/. Unfortunately the board is much slower than /b/. The previous statement still stands.
POOP IN GEOCACHE
>>
>>852888
TRIPS DEMANDS IT!
>>
>>852858
Climbing rope tends to be a bit stiffer than shitty camping rope due to the way it's designed. The extra stiffness provides a tiny bit of extra resistance when sliding through a rappel device. I'm doubtful that this is really the deciding factor here though. More likely you've just underestimated the amount you need to pull down when locking off. That said, get actual climbing rope when you do this.
>>
>>852858
>geocache
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>852929
Climbing rope is great but if all you're doing is lowering or rappelling to the bottom of a bridge it's a bit overkill.

A 30m static line or even accessory cord would do the job.

Also you're gonna want to tie off your belay device when you get to the right height so you can use both hands for swinging or whatever faggotry you need for geocaching.

Something like this: https://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/Tying-off-the-GRIGRI-to-have-your-hands-free?ProductName=GRIGRI-2&l=US
>>
>>852858
Personally I would use a more stable descender like a rack which you can also lock off nice and easy.
>>
>>852858
wait. so let me get this straight.

you plan on using a manual belay device, on cheap yellow rope, to risk your life for a geocache?

pls let me film this
>>
>>852858
dont use a non climbing rope or you might die.
but..
use that on top of a figure 8.
attach with a locking biner.

youll need a jumar to get back up
>>
File: 37142HAYATATE2.jpg.cf.jpg (14KB, 778x400px) Image search: [Google]
37142HAYATATE2.jpg.cf.jpg
14KB, 778x400px
>>852858
They make these on 40 foot poles dude...
>>
DULFERSITZ
ULFERSITZD
LFERSITZDU
FERSITZDUL
ERSITZDULF
RSITZDULFE
SITZDULFER
ITZDULFERS
TZDULFERSI
ZDULFERSIT
>>
>>853259
This
If you don't film it it didn't happen
Then you are obliged to post it on /out/ for the helpful advice given
Also time stamp or shoe on head
>>
Static line. Use a prusik on doubled rope, footlock with prusik to ascend. Job done, no death.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.