[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping bag and mat thread. Hey /out/. Just getting my gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: shopping.jpg (14KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
14KB, 450x450px
Sleeping bag and mat thread.

Hey /out/.

Just getting my gear together after finishing my degree in the UK.

Atm I need a mat and a sleeping bag being on a tight budget.

My equipment so far:

>robens mythos solo (tent- got it after helping someone to move)
>moorhead 70+10 SMS
>GoFriend® 3 Litres

happy for any other tips especially from guys from the UK as I have a national trust card, live in Bristol and would like to walk and camp in the area
>>
Tbh I don't know their exact pricing, but just get a super basic thermarest. Mine's been great for the past 10 years
>>
>>851815
I recently got a thermarest prolite plus, large size, for 80 dollars on sale (normally 110). I like it very much. They are definitely not the cheapest for the performance but they are reliable and comfy.
>>
>>851835
The prolite plus is a great mat for lightweight insulation, probably the warmest self inflating for the price. But its worth splashing out on the mat - i used to have a cheap vango trek mat and 700 fill down bag, but i spent the 130 odd an x-lite and for everything but scottish winter i use a 300 fill bag (would recommend rab ascent 300. Fairly heavy but durable as shit for down). Worth getting a good bag, but for warmth and weight an extra 50 quid on your mat will get you a lot further than 50 on the bag.
The amount you spend on the tent ahould reflect how comfortable you want to be, both hikimg with it and sleeping in it. A fivers worth of tarp is pretty light but a horrible night unless its gorgeous out. Similarly a hi gear tent is gonna be significantly heavier than the msr or wild country tent it copied.
>>
>>851815

I have the thermarest pictured in OP. It's breddy gud. Have to take care of it though, store it unrolled and with the valve open. Under a bed is a good place.
>>
>>851818
I recently got a Nemo Zor.
Was half the cost of a thermorest, super light and packs small, and was very comfortable for the size. It was a great mat until my housemates cunt cat thought it was a chew too. So may microholes
>>
would a small one make sense?

Like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001U4RGZC/ref=s9_simh_gw_g200_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=3N0G3R6G7Y76G0X4JF6F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop&psc=1

using it as 3/4 and putting my feet on my bag?
>>
>>851815
I've used an old Quechua inflatable mats for about 7 years and only this year has finally failed after many very hot summers which loosened the valve. Decathlon has surprisingly decent stuff if you are going to do standard /out/ings which require average material
>>
>>851918
and one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Wilderness-250-wilderness-Treetops/dp/B00U1BKTD6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473109848&sr=8-3&keywords=Vango%2BWilderness&psc=1
>>
>>851815
If you;re on a tight budget then use a couple of CCF pads. If you have a bit of a budget consider the Exped pads. Come in a range of sizes and a choice of synthetic or down filled.

Going to pick up their Downmat lite 5 for this winter season, primarily for hammock.
>>
>>851815
>GoFriend®

neck yourself
>>
>>851815
If you sleep on your side, get a mat that inflates to about 10cm/4" thick or you're in for a shite time lad.

Hooded sleeping bags are nice and down bags are expensive, but light and comfy.
>>
How about you not sleep on the ground? Go to any beach adjacent store or your local home mart and get one of those folding pool chaise lounges.

Aluminum frame, folds flat, folds up small too. Got one for $15 at a walmart, been in my trunk for a few years been on 3 camping trips in the Catskills. Use it to sit on by the fire, bring it in the tent to sleep, or outside.
>>
>OP HERE

>>852088
they are kind of heavy for tracking... at least I couldn't find one today that would fit in the tent and that I could carry.

>>852069
I am now looking at mats that are thicker but thus far have only found the air bed mats, the ones you have to pump up - not sure if it makes sense to carry one of those

Concerning the bag I think I will get the /Vango-Wilderness-250-wilderness-Treetops

My worry atm is still the matress/ folding bed/ air bed
>>
>>852236
a 30 pound synthetic bag with a 5 degree rating? Mate if thats for UK use you better be a warm sleeper.

Fair enough I'm up in Scotland but I use a 400g down TQ in the Summer, and British Army Arctic bag in the winter (rated to -15 or so and forty quid on ebay)

As for the mats.. pump up mats are super common and anything that inflates rather than self inflates (as those have foam but are generally shittier and thinner and heavier and bulkier).

You could get a basic Exped mat, like the Synmat 5 M, for about fifty quid, thats pretty budget for a solid -10c pad. If 5cm isn't enough theres a 7cm model about the same cost.
>>
File: 20160906_133550.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_133550.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Got my Carinthia Defense 6 today for my little expedition today.

Comfort temp: -20
Extreme temp: -40

220 Euros, really good price for an artic-tier sleepin g bag. Company is called Carinthia, they do dank ass equipment for Austrian and German Military
>>
i switched to a 3/4 mat from a full one and i honestly don't notice the difference when sleeping, and i'm just on the ground under a tarp. I imagine in a tent it would be even less of an issue.
>>
>>852088
I guess for tracking they can be a bit unweildy if you cannot attach it to your bag. I found one that folds in 3 so its basically a square of aluminum. As I said, got it at Walmart years ago. Got tired of sleeping on the ground even with pad and sleeping bag.
>>
>>852286
Where do you plan to use it?
>>
File: image.png (235KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
235KB, 750x1334px
I ordered this meme bag last winter and have used it twice since. One time it got around 50f and I froze my honeybuns off, another time it got around 55-60 and I was cold. Each of those times I wore socks, long sleeve shirts and pants. I've since used two other not-ultralight sleeping bags and someone told me that sleeping bags are supposed to be used with minimal clothes(so that your body heat radiates) and I have been comfy.

Is the Teton just a shit bag or would I have better results just wearing underwear and maybe a t-shirt? If the bag is shit, are there ultralight bags that are good at retaining heat or do I need a more conventional sleeping bag to not freeze?
>>
>>852544
The bag is probably not great, but what do you expect for 50 bucks? If by ultralight bags you mean ones that weigh as much or less than yours with the same or better temperature rating, of course there are. But you will probably have to spend more than 50 bucks.

If money isn't an issue, buy an 850 fill down sleeping bag.
If money is an issue, buy a warmer (and probably heavier) sleeping bag.
>>
File: 20160907_143708.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160907_143708.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
I just found this at the Salvation Army Store.

What a score!
>>
>>852544
No Teton is a shit brand.

Also are you making sure that you are fluffing up your sleeping bag?
>>
>>852236
Currently there is a special on massdrop for a sleeping pad by klymit.

I bought one a few weeks ago and I am waiting for it to arrive.
>>
Marmot Electrum 30 and a Big Agnes insulated Air Core Ultra. I sleep on my side, and it's a pretty good combo
>>
File: 20160909_214910.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160909_214910.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
Nemo Astro Insulated Lite 25L for comfy side sleepin' and a nice Sea To Summit Aeros Ultralite inflatable pillow. Tents a sub 4lb walmart i painted camo.
>>
>>852611
sweet get, whats the weight?
>>
Last winter, pretty much everyone I stayed with in an AT shelter was using a Thermarest Neoair Xlite sleeping pad. To those whom have used it, is it worth the high-price in terms of durability, weight, pack-ability and insulation?
>>
>>855060
In short, yes. In long its ridiculously light and packable for the warmth, and despite not being massively durable long lasting repairs are a piece of piss. Im a side sleeper, so i find the horizontal baffles comfortable but a lot of people prefer vertical - either way its thick enough to be noice and comfy. The only real downside is it can be a bitch to blow up after a days hiking, but thermarest do a 50g pump for it, which is worth it. Still lighter than almost anything else
I recently upgraded to the x therm tho, and its a little larger and heavier but so much warmer. Tbf i get them reduced price through work, im not sure id pay full price for either but if youve got the cash to splash dont look back
>>
Any of you lot got any first hand knowledge on the mats on aliexpress?

They seem pretty impressive for the money - assuming they're not total fucking shit, which is the worry. I'd not even be considering them except that I bought a bug bivy from then for use under the tarp which turned out to be incredible quality for the money.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JR-Gear-R5-0-PrimaLoft-Ultralight-Outdoor-Camping-Mat-Inflatable-Air-Mattress-Nature-Hike-Picnic-Beach/1947325_32607676173.html
>>
File: 20160913_070425.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_070425.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>855021
1.8kg.

Its a shame because I wanted it to replace pic related.

But it can at least compress to half the size of my fairy down bag.
>>
hey guys, my friends and I are planning a 3 day hike this winter but i have no experience with winter camping or multi-day hikes. my biggest concern is the sleeping bag. All non super expensive bags i have seen so far are huge and puffy but i am concerned i wont be able to put one on an internal frame pack. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
>>
>>851815
I have the klymit insulated static V for a mat and the Teton LEEF 0 deg for a bag. I've used them in 15 degree overnights fairly comfortably. $165 on Amazon for both, when I bought them in February or March. I highly recommend the combo.
>>
>>856020
Buy a reputable brand second hand off Ebay or Craigslist.

Also look out for them in charity ships like the salvation army.
>>
>>851815
Any opinions on these bags? Going mountaineering and regularly drops to -25c will I still be cold?
>>
>>856020
Only newbs and retards go camping in the winter. You will be miserable.
>>
>>856832
Camping outside of high altitude mountaineering is literally only for homeless people.
>>
>>856832
You're a moron.

Winter camping = dark skies with stars, no insects, a lot less people, a reason to have fire.

If you have half a brain and can put some planning into it it's not hard to work out a clothing system that works for you.

tl;dr winter camping > summer camping

>>856796
if it goes to -25c then you want the COMFORT rating to be -25c. And know if you're a warm or cold sleeper to adjust the manufacturer rating. The extreme rating is just that, can't remember the exact classification but its' something along the lines of ''allows you 4hours of not dying in the bag''

Don't be a faggot. Carry the weight and get a good nights sleep. If you're cutting weight then cut the excess from everything else before you start sacrificing warmth and comfort.

When its' going to be that cold I take my arctic bag EVEN IF it weighs 3kg and takes up 30l of space, I know I'll appreciate it and get my comfy sleep. I know I'm a cold sleeper, if a sleeping bag is rated to -5C I know I'll get cold at 0C, so I have to compensate.
>>
I was thinking of getting a Sea to Summit quilt. I read a review about it and the guy said he was a side sleeper that liked the fetal position and found the quilt forced him to be straighter than he'd like.
Well, that's basically how I sleep.
Now I'm thinking maybe one of the s2s basecamp beds might be better.
I think I'd get the thermolite, though, and those don't seem to be sold in my country yet.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.