[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /out/ Fire, Gas Stove, or Alcohol stove? Also, general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 1471607790143.jpg (704KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471607790143.jpg
704KB, 1920x1080px
Alright /out/

Fire, Gas Stove, or Alcohol stove?

Also, general discussion regarding trail food.
>>
>>850898
I would say none of them, they are all pretty shit for everything
>>
>>850914
So how do you eat when /out/? Do you kill and eat raw squirrel or something?
>>
>>850915
I normally store spiders under my foreskin and cook them using will power alone
>>
>>850918
Oh.
>>
>>850915
Catch trout, gut and clean them, throw on some spices, cook them on a skillet over the campfire.
Same for snakes.
>>
File: 41mx4BbRXeL._SY355_.jpg (14KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41mx4BbRXeL._SY355_.jpg
14KB, 355x355px
>>850898
>>
>>850898
Gas
>>
File: snp-litemax-titan-stove_1.jpg (58KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
snp-litemax-titan-stove_1.jpg
58KB, 900x900px
usually I will fire this up when i'm done hiking and cook up some mac and cheese with some sausage thrown in. Fires are for socializing mostly, I rarely ever cook on one.
>>
>>850915
ever heard of wood?
whats wrong with you? are you american or something
>>
I use those gel things if I must but I do prefer to cook on a fire. Much easier less time and easy to make.
>>
naptha gas stove is top tier op

just get a moderately priced one from rei.
>>
File: download (30).jpg (15KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
download (30).jpg
15KB, 303x166px
>>850898
Fire.
The feeling of building a fire, plus the feeling of being near a fire is amazing.
Also, it gives off warmth and makes your camp feel like home.
I usually dig a 2-3 foot deep pit so people cant see me from a distance (trails/campsites are for pussies), then I pile the dirt from the pit around it in a ring. On that dirt ring I can place a flat rock, or spits for cooking my food.
When im done I collapse the dirt inwards and the fire is completely buried, I place rocks on top and nobody can tell I camped there.
If im staying in one place for more than one night I make it like pic related with more airflow so I get luxury.

As for trail food, jerky and chocolate bars along with sausage and sandwiches.
I bring 2/3 of the food I need for 3000 calorie days, then I hunt the rest.; ie
If im out for 3 weeks I bring 2 weeks of 3000 calorie per day food and rely on hunting/ fishing for the rest. Ive never gone on a trip without gettting a kill or two so ive never gone hungry, but if im unlucky I can ration it out and ill just feel slightly worse and lose a pound or two. Its worth the weight I save.
>>
File: Primus-Lite-Plus-F1.jpg (192KB, 900x1579px) Image search: [Google]
Primus-Lite-Plus-F1.jpg
192KB, 900x1579px
>>850898
Well, it's different for everyone I suppose. Alot of poeple on /out/ seem to be britbongs who just go out to whatever patch of forrest they can find and stay there. for them a fire works fine for cooking. some are ultralight butterflies for whom alcohol stoves work fine.

me, im a normal hiker, i pack light but not stupid light and do about 25 to 30km a day through mixed terrain. Campfires are nice but if they were a necessity for cooking id rather go hungry desu, dont have the time for breakfast or lunch and dont have the energy when i've made camp, cant stop for a quick coffee etc

I use a Primus Lite+ which packs everything i need in a small container and its pretty light. mostly use it for coffee and dehydrated meals. if i happen to catch fish i carry some tin foil and spices and throw it on the coals

pic related
>>
>>850914
>>850929
>>851015
The first option listed was "fire".
>>
I use an alcohol stove (white box, weighs 1oz) for breakfast and sometimes lunch, otherwise I just build a fire.

Not a fan of carrying excess weight. Advantage of meths burner is I can use said meths to help get a fire going in the case of damp/poor tinder.
>>
>>851079
Shhhhh, let them be /out/istic.
>>
would love to work out the energy density of the same weight of meths and butane.

alcohol stoves are definitely lighter but if you have to carry more fuel, AND have the disadvantage of not being able to regulate output, it might be better to go for butane.

Does anyone use petrol stoves?
>>
On a bike I can easily get 48Miles in a day.
Walking in midnight forest fest 7Hours to find a town! All the time without rides.
>>
>>851079
>>851175
What? Gas stoves work with fire too, fire dont mean wood fire
>>
>>851207
Then lets clear it up.

>Campfires, Gas Stoves, or Alcohol Stoves?
>>
>>851207
no gas stoves with with gas, producing flames

a 'fire' in this threads context is a camp fire and you know it.

you don't say your lighter has a 'fire' (it has a flame), you don't turn the 'fire' down on a cooker hob, you turn the flame down, etc etc etc.
>>
>>851079
Yes - I ruled fire out when I said they were all shit?
>>
>>851224
thanks.
>>
>>851256
So what, do you just carry a microwave with you or bring a meme solar oven? Do you just not cook food and live off of cold ravioli?
>>
>>851312
Did you even read this thread before you replied to it?
>>
>>851312
I don't even bother to heat up ravioli at home, why would I do it innawoods?

Great thing is can eat it on the move. P38 open a can of rav, slide each delicious square into your mouth as you hike, flip the can into weeds, never miss a beat.
>>
This guy has more information about stoves and stove choices than anywhere else. Stove and fuel weight comparisons for different length trips, environments, fuel availability etc. Good stuff

http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm
>>
>>850898

Twig stove, like one of those Vargo titanium collapsible thingies.
>>
>>850918
I chuckled
>>
what do you guys use in your trail mix. What food do you generally take?
>>
>>851037
How does the ground float like that??????
>>
>>850898
Sometimes I will build a campfire but I do a lot of my adventuring in alpine or sub-alpine zones so I tend to bring my little alcohol stove I made so I don't burn up the scant wood that is laying around.

It does pretty well. But I plan to buy a gas stove this month.

I would like to build one of the various soup can wood gas/rocket stoves out there too and I would probably mostly carry that and the methanol burner. But I have multiple bags for different things. I'll probably keep the gas stove in the lumbar pack I'm building for work.
>>
>>850929
Gonna do that during fire ban season faggot? Kill yourself
>>
>>853080
I like going to Winco and throwing stuff together from the bulk bins.

I usually go two types of nut, some chocolate, and some sort of dried fruit, although I don't particularly like most dried fruit since its over sugared so I tend to pack that separate. And I don't like crunchy bready things in my trail mix.

Other than that typically I'll have Clif Bars, possibly Jerky, and some sort of freeze dried food. Oatmeal packets for a hot breakfast option. Lunch is usually trailmix and other snacks.
>>
>>853080
2-3 sorts of peanuts, raisins, m&m's and coffee beans.
I also had scaleless sunflower seeds from time to time
>>
Just about every post in this thread is pure bullshit. Canister stoves for solo trips, white gas or superfuel for group trips
>>
File: 1473291318771.jpg (67KB, 521x697px) Image search: [Google]
1473291318771.jpg
67KB, 521x697px
>>850898
I prefer fuel blocks because they're easy to stow away in my issued webbing.
>>
>>851037
Dakota fire pits i think they're called. Works like a charm and is more fuel efficient than a regular open air fire
>>
>>850898
Yes and also http://gossamergear.com/wp/crotch-pot-cookbook
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.