[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need an overnight pack anyone have suggestions for size?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: clmpu9787m[1].jpg (117KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
clmpu9787m[1].jpg
117KB, 500x500px
I need an overnight pack anyone have suggestions for size?

My fiancee and I want to move out of car camping and do some 1-2night trips. Anyone have suggestions on what pack to get? The suggestions I see on "gear sites" suggest anywhere from 30-70L. Not very helpful.

I'm thinking maybe ~45L for each of us will be good. Do you guys have any suggestions?
>>
>>848285
Also will need one that's rain proof/has a built in rain cover.
>>
>>848286
That's going to limit your options alot...why can't you just use an aftermarket rain cover? Most are pretty much universal. As for the pack the only advice I can really give is to go to an outfitter and find a pack that fits,or at the very least get your torso length right. That still doesn't mean your pack will be comfy, if you can wear your pack around the store loaded you should.
>>
I my experience, get something bigger than you think to start out with. Maybe go to some place with a really good return policy, so if you find out you can't fit all your stuff in the said bag you can exchange it for something bigger.

No pack is actually rainproof even with a rain cover. (unless you get a dry bag, which are bit heavier and a lot more hassle. You can still use a rain cover, but you'll still want to store your stuff you want to keep dry in plastic bags.

That said, 65L is usually a good safe bet for most people. Your personal requirements may vary. Example, your wife has really heavy periods and she needs those super heavy maxipads.
>>
>anywhere from 30-70L. Not very helpful.

If you tell us your acceptable answer then we can answer it to your satisfaction.
>>
>>848318
That's pretty good advice
>>848312
So I guess I should plan on putting everything in a trash bag that I want dry? Like the sleeping bag and tent?

The only outdooring store near me is REI. Are they relatively inline with online retail prices? I feel like they're anywhere from 10-20% more expensive.

Maybe I'll get fitted for a pack I like at REI and buy it online.
>>
>>848285
>>828112
>>
If I were starting out again, Id buy/collect all my gear first, keeping weight in mind, then buy a bag that can fit it.
>>
>>848342
I pretty much have all the gear, we bought gear for car camping that would also be backpackable.

But you're right. I should really gauge what I'm going to need to bring first.
>>
>>848322
They make pack covers that keep them dry while you hike
>>
>>848322
Ziplock bags work ok if you get sick of rummaging through a trashbag. That way you can have everything organised into nice little waterproof packets.
>>
>>848285

What kind of environment and temperatures will there be? Drinking water options? Any towns nearby? What are you going to sleep in? Is it going to get windy? What time of year is it going to be? Any special equipment?

There's tons of questions that need to be answered first.

There's a HUGE difference in what I would suggest to you for winter camping in Finland and camping in summer, anywhere else. And that's just Finland, I have no idea where you even live - but the point is, you take the kind of gear that suits your environment and actions. THEN you can think about what people have to say and what they mean.
>>
Hijacking thread for a bit of advice. I'm drafting a list of things I might take with me on backpacking trips over 2-3 nights. If anyone could be bothered to offer feedback it would be well appreciated, I'd like to know what's missing/wrong with the list so far and what size backpack would be roughly suited.

>Backpack
>Tent
>Sleeping bag
>Rain cover
>Clothes (3 changes, dry bedclothes)
>Trowel
>Food
>Water
>Water filter
>Gas Stove
>Map, Route plan, Compass
>Toilet Paper
>Plastic bags
>Container (for cooking, boiling water)
>Eating utensils
>Toothbrush
>Phone
>Cash
>Duct Tape
>>
>>848670

-Clothes are pretty heavy. I get by with one set of clothes only (the ones I wear, no matter the length of the trip), and add insulating and rain layers. You are going to be dirty, and that's okay. I have found that clean clothes don't make me feel cleaner; showers + clean clothes do
-A change of socks to sleep in is decent.
-Speaking of clothes again, great tip I picked up on is having a change of clothes available for immediately after your trip. Travelling home in dirty backpacking clothes sucks.
-Are utensils (plural) needed, or could you get by with a single spork or spoon?
-No sleeping pad listed, this should be part of your sleep system
-Maybe covered in "Clothes", but no shells or insulating layers listed here.
-What are the plastic bags for? If for "emergency" use, ditch them. If for filling with toiletries and the like, I guess I am not familiar with using that term.
-Headlamp or flashlight
-First Aid kit (include only what you know how to use, e.g.- I don't know how to sew stitches, so I don't bring needle and thread, etc.)
-Pillow. I use a stuff sack and place my jackets in there for head support, but I know some people like the inflatable ones.

Speaking of packing generally, my philosophy is to pack for likely situations. Think about what environment you are going into, what weather you are likely to encounter, wildlife, etc, and pack for those situations. Also, each trip is slightly different, so your gear list will change accordingly.

I'm going into the Sierras next week for 4 days solo. Including a BV500 bear can placed inside the bag, I am able to fit everything within an Exos 38. I have only been backpacking for about a year, and I try to go as lightweight as I can. If possible, borrow or rent a 50-65L bag for your first 2-3 day trip, and see what works for you before you buy. Buying a backpack should be the last purchase you make.
>>
>>848696
Thanks for the detailed reply.

-I think you're right about cutting down on clothes, I'm not too worried about being dirty but I suppose I was feeling cautious about being able to change in case clothes get soaked or something.
-I hadn't put any thought into utensils but yes, I'll just need one fork or spoon.
-I didn't consider sleeping pad, thanks for mentioning it.
-I'm not sure if by shells or insulating layers you just mean putting on extra layers of clothes when the temperature calls for it or something more technical that I am unfamiliar with. Assuming the former then I would need to account for that when choosing what clothes to pack.
-The plastic bags are for toiletries or for certain waste (e.g. toilet paper that I've wiped my ass with)
-Noted the flashlight, that was a really stupid one not to consider.
-Same for first aid kit ^
-I have also tried using a backpack stuffed with clothes for a pillow and it suited me fine.

Most of your advice has been noted and useful for me, helping me fix my glaring ignorance. As for the bag I was thinking about buying something cheap from military surplus around about 50L and that would hopefully serve sufficiently for a handful of trips and then by the time it falls apart I'll know whether or not I want to invest in a more expensive bag.
>>
>>848730
>Noted the flashlight, that was a really stupid one not to consider.

Protip: Your phone doesn't count as a flashlight, SAR will make jokes about you if they have to come save you because you thought your phone was a good light source.
>>
>>848771
Nah it was just a plain oversight, I don't have a smartphone, my phone can't act as a flashlight even if it wanted to. I just forgot to include it in the list, but I'm just doing early days brainstorming right now so that I can iron out these oversights before I start making real plans.
>>
>>848730
Sorry, I get wordy. Your original list is pretty good, experience and research will help fill it out. Ignorance comes from not seeking answers to what you are unsure of, which is not the case here.

Shells and insulating layers I just mean like a rain jacket and a fleece. If I may suggest, stay away from cottons as they take a long time to dry if they get wet. Glad to hear you are thinking about packing out TP, leave no trace is a good call imo
>>
>>848780
No no, your wordy detail was of much use to me. It is pretty wet around here so I won't be caught outside without a raincoat packed. Thanks again for you help.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.