[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, First time posting, usually dont venture over this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Hey /out/,

First time posting, usually dont venture over this way but as I come to the end of my time in the army i've begun preparations for a thru-hike of either the PCT or CDT (Havn't been sold but leaning more towards the PCT).

I know whats worked for me so far, but my camping and field experiences have usually been in supported groups and now I feel like I will probably end up doing the vast majority of the trail alone. What kind of redundancies should I invest in keeping that in mind?

I cant exactly have 5 ways to purify water, and days of extra rations weighing me down- especially since I am planning to bring a smaller pack and not spend several months with an 80lb ruck on my back for once.

Is there any gear that /out/ recommends? I have a fair amount of snugpak stuff which has supplemented my TA-50 quite nicely when I want to. (Which includes my planned shelter- a stratosphere bivy)

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Which branch of the army/what country did you serve with? And generally have one extra way to purify water is good. I tend to have a hand pump filter and then some tablets, never had to use the tablets though. As for food, learn what you can and can't eat.
>>
>>847793
Also, /out/ is a very slow board, as most posters are outside doing what /out/ is about. You might want to come back to this thread in a few days.
>>
Post a full kit list.

No point recommending stuff when we don't know what you have.

Redundancies only for your essential items only. You're not in a war zone, there will be regular places to resupply.

I don't want to bring weight into it as all the cast iron campers will roll in on their dutch ovens and start bitching at me, but IMO if you can keep your base weight under 10kg you'll enjoy your trip a hell of a lot more.
>>
>>847793
Get a hammock, a small woodstove to cook on and purify yer water, a few knives and a pistol for killing animals for food. Then just use your army skillz. Have fun and leave no trace
>>
>>847837
terrible advice
>>
>>847918
Your advice to start doing mall walks was far worse
>>
>>847837
>leave no trace
Burn whatever you can and always bury your poop and wipes or tp
>>
>>848072
Why can't you burn your poop? Free fuel!!!!!
>>
>>848343
because it smells like shit
>>
>>848380
Just put it in the fire as you are leaving
>>
File: it is shit.png (374KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
it is shit.png
374KB, 500x314px
>>848380
It is shit Austin...
>>
File: mac.png (115KB, 167x221px) Image search: [Google]
mac.png
115KB, 167x221px
>>847793
gonna have me some fun
>>
Hard to say without knowing what you plan on taking with you and what part of the trail/time of year you'll be starting with.

But a medkit is important.

Good shoes and ways to treat injured feet is a must.

Ways to know where you're going, both physcial, like maps, compass, etc. and knowledge (you would be surprised how many people get lost, even on a trail. Sometimes you're 5 feet away from the trail and you can't even see it.) Knowing where to get supplies is also very important.

Ways to signal for help is important. "Immobilizing" injuries. like a broken foot or leg, are a very real hazard.

All non-essentials should be things that have more than one purpose/use and should be both durable and small.
>>
>>848054
what the fuck is a mall walk

your advice is terrible because:

>get a hammock
anon is doing a 2600 odd Mi trail, with altitude changes from sea level to 13000 feet. A hammock is good but not flexible, especially when intended to be used over such a long and variable trail.

>small woodstove
Why carry extra weight to have a wood fire when you can, you know, just make a fire on the ground. Better to carry an alcohol stove or a butane stove - easier, quicker, able to regulate, and can use it in your tent. Personally I use an alcohol stove for my breakfast and lunch, and then make a fire for my dinner.

>purify your water
boiling water to purify not only does nothing to remove heavy metals and other pollutants, but it takes FUCKING AGES. It's fine for a weekend trip when you're not covering any distance, but it's seriously impractical for anything more. OP would be better off with a functional water filter such as something from lifesystems

>a few knives
okay depending on what you mean I either agree with you or disagree. But desu ONE knife is all that is needed. A few suggests more than 2, which is completely unnecessary extra weight.

>a pistol for killing animals
The PCT has over 1000 people doing it every year. It runs through a lot of areas that are not very wild. It runs through many states. Does OP have the right to carry a gun thru all that? And over a blown out trail where theres probably little game?

>skillz
If we hadn't already determined you're an underage faggot we have reached a definite conclusion by this point in your post.
>>
>>848520
>13000 feet
AT climbs that high?
>>
>>848534
Don't respond to that troll. Kid is obviously 16 or so if he thinks knives, guns and hammocks are not staples of the PCT. The millennial pipsqueak doesn't even know what a mall walk is.
>>
>>847796
>"most posters are outside doing what /out/ is about"

Hah! Good one!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.