[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say you are in a dire survival situation and encountered a dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: botflies-maggots-cats.jpg (69KB, 590x428px) Image search: [Google]
botflies-maggots-cats.jpg
69KB, 590x428px
Say you are in a dire survival situation and encountered a dead animal. You somehow determined that it's been dead for days and eating it will cause massive problems. Is it a good idea to wait until it is riddled with maggots, then eat the little suckers by the handful? If so, does it matter if you cook them or not?
>>
If it's not safe to eat the dead animal, it's not going to be safe to eat the maggots that are eating it.
>>
>>845825
Yes, the maggots will be fine to eat. Just rinse them well, wrap them in a big leaf, and bake them or use in a soup/stew. Never eat them uncooked!
>>
>>845825
What makes it unsafe to eat? Can't I just throw it on the fire till it's ultra well done and be good to go?
>>
>>845845
if the meat is rancid you should be able to tell by scent. If it doesn't smell rancid just cook it more than you'd normally cook meat.

Better yet, trap bunnies or other critters or fish. It should almost never come down to roadkill.
>>
>>845825
Op must have watched Bear Grylls and Courtney Cox a few days ago.
>>
I read just yesterday that Culpepper, the herbalist, said that if you can eat putrefied meat if you eat it with horseradish. I dunno if I'd try it though
>>
>>845932
That show was unwatchable. Courtney is not only a cowardly old hag but a giant whining cunt
>>
>>845845
Bacteria produce toxins that will often still be present after they have been killed by cooking.
>>
>>845825
I wouldn't eat them raw by the handful.
Collect as many as possible, wash them. Leave them for a while and wash again. Repeat a few times, allow them to empty their systems before consuming.
>>
>>>/gif/9165339
>>
>>846190
This. Bacteria is destroyed in the cooking process. Not the toxins
>>
>>845845

Cooking will kill bacteria, it won't kill the toxic poop that they have been shitting on the meat
>>
>>846305
>>846846
Heat also denatures proteins
>>
>>846846
Yeah, but how common are toxic metabolites/byproducts by bacteria that one would find on a decomposing carcass?
>>
>>846938

Very common

Same reason you can get a bad stomach from eating three day old leftovers, even if you wave it
>>
>>846305
10 minutes cooking destroys the botox too.
it's just a quick roast is not enough.
>>
>>847069
>Same reason you can get a bad stomach from eating three day old leftovers, even if you wave it
i never in my life did. i sometimes have 3 days old leftovers i just ate what was left from friday.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.