[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello there /out/ i am looking for the most practical and economical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: RV.jpg (9KB, 343x147px) Image search: [Google]
RV.jpg
9KB, 343x147px
hello there /out/

i am looking for the most practical and economical way of living in an RV

can you help me. pl0x?

i am looking for information on how to finance a purchase, and also what are the most 'practical' and 'economical' RV's out there?

i don't need a really big one or expensive one... just one which is practical and economical

thank you! <3
>>
bump pls
>>
Calm down your tits my underage friendo, /out/ is a slow board.
>>
>>845812
RVs are not really made to be lived in full time. Furnishings, plumbing, electrical systems are made to be cheap and lightweight and only occasionly used and you will have a lot of maintenace issues.

RVs are especially bad about collecting moisture inside and growing mold.

Practically and cheap, you want to build/convert your own RV.

If you want to live in one full time I would do some research or at least get an all-metal RV.

Or buy a cheap used one and just be ready to play handy-man and make your own repairs and replace things when they break.
>>
>>845821
>>845813
>gimme, gimme, gimme
What an entitled asshole
Go fuck yourself and lurk more, dickhead
>>
>>845812
My advice, get a refurbished airstream. Or a scamp trailer. That way you will never have leaks.

Or just get an uncle rico style camper van
>>
>>845961

Van is absolutely the way to go. Better gas mileage, and you can park places other than campgrounds and Walmarts. If you are willing to put in the work to fix up the van to your liking, there's no question.
>>
>>845812
If you want to go small, do a van like other anons said. Then you can /b/log about it all the time!

Also, the trailers are much cheaper than RVs. So if it's possible to get a vehicle that can tow a trailer, you will get a lot more for your money. I'm not talking about the pop-ups or anything, but there are some nice 30'+ campers for much less than you would expect. This also means no maintaining or fueling a fucking bus.

Honestly though if you don't need space to sleep 8 people and don't mind showering at the gym, a van or small bus or one of those newer Sprinters would be cool.
>>
Summoning the LARPer who plays the chick who craves rape
>>
>>846050
Not that true, my rv I just bought at an auction for 600 it's 34" 1985 but with only 23k miles. Then I had to buy new tires which you will have to in almost every case since often they sit for a few years before deciding to sell they are 235 each...
Expect to fix the roof and god knows what else
>>
Anyone have any advice about dumping the dark water for cheap
>>
File: IMG_20150815_122505.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150815_122505.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>846246
You suck pervert! You don't know me and you're a jelly, stay-at-home, little bitch!

You need to get an /out/ life like me!

FUCK YOU!
>>
File: POP-UP-starcraft.jpg (299KB, 1000x734px) Image search: [Google]
POP-UP-starcraft.jpg
299KB, 1000x734px
I know a bit about this subject as I am in the market for a camper at the moment and have lived for extended periods in a camper while I worked as a nomadic construction worker. So you are looking for:
>the most practical and economical way of living in an RV

Let me try to break this down. Most practical, is a travel trailer, not an RV. The reason being is anytime you have to go resupply are you ready to strike camp? With a trailer you set up camp, and can leave in your vehicle to resupply, go to the laundry mat, restaurant, etc.

Most economical, like down right cheap as it gets is going to be a pop up or something like a Jayco 145. A Jayco 145 is a camper design that nearly every company has manufactured at some point. Typically it is bathroom in the back, a short galley kitchen and a double bench with table that doubles as a full size bed. Big enough for one person, cramped with two. It is an entry model at best.

> how to finance a purchase
Go through the dealership first off, next is going through your bank or another 3rd party lender. I've seen financing on RVs go all the way up to 12 or 15 years. I recommend going through the dealer, if the financing doesn't work for you, tell them. They want your business they will hunt to find terms that meet your requirements. If they won't or if they are a high pressure dealer, then walk. Its an RV dealership not a car dealership, if it feels like a car deal to you walk.

>what are the most 'practical' and 'economical' RV's out there?
You keep saying practical and economical, for some reason this just reads like, "I'm 18 and the cheapest way for me to leave home is in an RV". If it were me, I'd just get a cheap trailer or A frame popup, pic related, and a beater suv/truck with just enough power to pull it. Get a used trailer to save money and a used vehicle. There, now enjoy being a land locked live aboard. State parks can get expensive in the long run, RV parks will be your cheapest bet.
>>
>>848252
10/10
>>
Love me an Airstream, not into motor style homes... But with regard to financing I would highly suggest getting a loan from your bank rather than a financing plan from an RV Dealer. The interest rates they charge will gut you.
>>
File: DSC07546-L.jpg (143KB, 800x600px)
DSC07546-L.jpg
143KB, 800x600px
How much of a /diy/er are you?
Currently working on my 3rd (and biggest) trailer conversion (45ft gooseneck).

Are you thinking about a trailer, or a motorhome? I'm better versed in trailers...

Consider the weather you're using it in. Some areas a 3-season might cut it, other areas you'll need the full insulation, tank/line heaters, etc.

Trailer mfgrs are cheap. Everything's cheap. Electrical is trash, even from the high-end builders. Plumbing is tough in a mobile application.

When I did my trailer, I gutted the inside, added insulation, rewired it, and added a propane furnace. Didn't do much for living quarters since it's just a 2-place, but it's not hard to unload a sled and set up the cot/table/sleeping bag. The front third of the gooseneck is dedicated living quarters, but it's dry (no sink/toilet/shower/etc). Really just a place to crash on the mountain, if we need a shower we'll roll into town and hit a truck stop.

Earthroamers you pictured are incredible. Very well done.... and priced accordingly. Drive by the factory almost every weekend.
>>
Those boxes you toe behind a truck are the cheapest
>>
>>848563

Aus-bro here. Mate of mine has one of these A frame setups. We take it out hunting. Super comfy setup inside. He has solar panel setup on the roof area. It has a surprising amount of space inside for a small setup. It is easily towed by my Toyota Hilux.
http://www.avan.com.au/our-range/campers
>>
File: slider.jpg (221KB, 800x350px) Image search: [Google]
slider.jpg
221KB, 800x350px
If it is just you, go for building out a van or the bed of a truck. I know plenty of people who live fulltime in a van and travel around. Wife and I currently live in a 26" Class C Motorhome and we love it.
>>
>>845870
This.
RVs and campers are very impractical, because they are generally built as white people toys. :/
This is sad, because in today's economy, they're extremely practical (conceptually) for people who travel for work, or even just people who don't really want to settle down and don't want to throw away money at an apartment or whatever.

Now, that said, you can make it work. You're going to have to do a lot of it yourself if you're on ANY sort of a budget though. I mean, you would spend potentially more than $100k if you can't be a bit 'handy' yourself.
I'm actually in the process (still) of fixing up a camper trailer that I bought almost a year ago, which has yet to see any real use because it was so fucked up. It's thankfully starting to *knock on wood* go pretty well. I hope to be able to actually spend the night in it soon while I patch up the rest of the stuff.

>>845961
This Anon knows what's up.

The all metal Airstream campers were great and didn't tend to leak like the white-people toy garbage ones do. They can at least be maintained. I wish I had looked for one of these instead of what I bought.

Also, if you want to be a bit more 'stealthy' about it, the van option is a great way to go. And the gas mileage savings, holy shit. I'll be probably trading my truck for a van to convert into a 'stealth camper' when I am finished with my current camper project.
You'll want probably an extended length cargo van, definitely with a high top. (The kind that you can comfortably stand up in, with head room to spare.) Since you're saying you're going to live in it full time, you'll probably want a shower and toilet in there, so get well versed in plumbing. Plumbing isn't that hard (what I've done so far) but you have to kind of think it through and get used to the concepts and 'gotcha's' that there are about it.
>>
>>849534
This. Holy fuck, RV dealers are fuckers worse than car dealers.
You'll want to secure a loan from a bank first, with your good credit score I assume you have since you're thinking about financing, you should be able to get a decent interest rate.
>>
>>851827
Those vans look sweet.
>>
File: Right_Outside.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Right_Outside.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Here's what I've been working on... old picture of outside, but nothing's changed there much. Mostly inside that's the 'work' part right now.

I bought this off a guy who said the roof didn't leak and that everything worked. Well, he lied about most of that. Especially the roof thing. :/

I learned a valuable lesson: You can almost always just slap more silicone caulk on something to make it stop leaking. Don't know if you used enough? Just add a few more tubes. (I wish I was kidding about how much of that thing's roof is now made of silicone caulk... it's pretty ridiculous. But that's old campers for you. Either that or water gets in.
>>
File: Left_Outside_2.jpg (3MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
Left_Outside_2.jpg
3MB, 3984x2241px
>>853039
And the other side...
>>
File: Before_Inside_Right.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Before_Inside_Right.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>853041
Just to point out what happens when water gets inside these things, especially if you ignore it.
>>
I would convert a UHaul trailer honestly. A 16 footer should be plenty. It would be nice to be able to traverse between cab and box.

I converted a cargo trailer into a camper, helluva lot cheaper
>>
>>853234
Used Uhauls (if you can find them at the right price) can be good starts for conversions. I agree, 16 foot Uhaul trucks are the 'right size' for a one person full time living space. And Uhauls are not as leak-prone as other things.

The big thing I'd say when converting something:
Put as few holes in the roof as possible! And make them as small as possible for their intended function. Need AC? I'd vent that shit out the side.

Other thing is, obviously, be careful when putting holes in the side as well. You gotta make sure that they're sealed up GOOD with caulk or such. But because water will not collect on the side, just run down it, it's not as big a risk. Standing water has time to seep through the tiniest of holes and cracks.
You can't half-ass it. Screw through the sheet metal? Yep, caulk.
"But it's such a tight fitting screw..."
is
"But it doesn't have a seal, so MOAR CAULK"
"But I used sealed screws..."
is
"Huh... are you sure we shouldn't just slather it in caulk anyways?"

I DO recommend using sealed screws (screws with gaskets), for roof things. But, you'll also need to note:

<screw head>

<screw gasket>

<object you are fastening to sheet metal>
<------ Water gets in here unless there's another gasket or something!
<sheet metal>
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.