[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best canned food or food that has a long shelf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: dintymoore.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
dintymoore.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
What's the best canned food or food that has a long shelf life? I have a cabin with no refrigeration and probably wont get any so I need ideas on food I can store without it. Pic related is some good eating.
>>
File: hormel-mary-kitchen-hash.jpg (448KB, 840x1050px) Image search: [Google]
hormel-mary-kitchen-hash.jpg
448KB, 840x1050px
>>840925
>Pic related is some good eating.
I pledged a fra'ernity in college and one weekend me and my pledge bros had to stay on 6ft tarp in the corner. We were in there with a keg of beer and a bunch of cans of Dinty Moore. All of it had to be gone by sunday night. We were allowed to leave the tarp to pee/pooh and to puke.

Anyway, I can't even look at Dinty Moore ever again. I think you're a real sicko OP.

Also, Spam (cans last longer than packets), corned beef hash, and canned veggies of all sorts - beans and potatoes lend themselves to many meals whereas greenbeans and peas you have to eat "out of the can", which isn't very good. OH stewed tomatoes as well, you need your lipocene when /out/ anon.
>>
>>840931
>lipocene
meant lycopene, sorry

https://youtu.be/W647gDp-u-s
>>
File: Summer Sausage.png (137KB, 450x350px) Image search: [Google]
Summer Sausage.png
137KB, 450x350px
Anyone know how long one of these will last opened in 90 degree weather?
>>
>>840935
Opened? I'd give it 24 hours. And I would shave-off the dried bit of exposed edge each time I went to eat more.
>>
>>840925
Dehydrated stuff. Google up dehydrated meals. Best to DIY your own.

Also, look into making your own cellar. They make things cold and extend shelf life a lot. Most veggies and some fruit can last a long time like that.
>>
File: UHT.jpg (207KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
UHT.jpg
207KB, 1200x900px
>>840925
Basically anything dried. Flour, couscous, legumes, rice, jerky, etc. All of that type of stuff keeps great and it isn't single use (i.e. you can use the flour to thicken a stew, make bread, make dumplings, whatever)

Other good things to take are things that are shelf stable and stored in sealed containers, for instance this sort of boxed ultrapasteurized milk is fine out of refrigeration till the seal is broken and tastes better than powdered milk. There are more than a few foods that come like that.

Preserves, obviously as the name implies, keep well, jams, jellies, and pickled vegetables even can last a good while.

Then there's stuff like oils and such that can be used to cook with, add calories to food, and even as a light source if need be.

Personally I'd avoid canned stuff because I think most of the stuff in em is kind of gross, but that's my own personal preference.

Hope this list off the top of my head helped.
>>
>>840925
If you think pic related is good eating you are not on my level as Dinty Moore is basically human grade dog food. Enjoy your shits.
>>
>>840934
>Sorry

Leafs are such faggots
>>
>>841014
>Leafs
what did he mean by this
>>
>>841023
who knows. He's probably high or on drugs, best stay away from him.
>>
http://offgridsurvival.com/survivalfood/

this link right here gives you everything you need to know
>>
>>840925
in my personal experience of eating out of date canned food.

>chicken preserves the best
>beef flavored stuff can make you feel sick and doesnt taste very good.
>baked beans get a weird taste, that is kind of coppery.
>bacon preserves in stews and beans pretty well.
>anything with tomatoe base will start to taste coppery within a few months out of date and will get stronger.(ive eaten 3 year old cans).
>things like chef boyardee or fatty foods will congeal on top.
>>
>>841023
canadians.
>>
>>841047
oh so he is high and on drugs then
>>
>>840931
>I pledged a fra'ernity in college and one weekend me and my pledge bros had to stay on 6ft tarp in the corner. We were in there with a keg of beer and a bunch of cans of Dinty Moore. All of it had to be gone by sunday night. We were allowed to leave the tarp to pee/pooh and to puke.
american education
>>
File: alldaybreakfast.jpg (52KB, 245x380px) Image search: [Google]
alldaybreakfast.jpg
52KB, 245x380px
on the topic of canned food, has anyone tried pic related or anything similar?
>>
>>840931
>Spam
go low sodium but your pic related is the BOMB!@
>>
>>840925
spam is a staple for a reason.

if it isn't going to sit around long I fucking love chef boyardee. spaghetti and mestballs has the most calories per can but I prefer beffaroni or ravioli. make sure to shake the can well if you plan to eat it cold.

also, sweet sue chicken and dumplings is a good canned meal. I have never let one sit long enough to know if they store well. but you absolutely must heat it up.

corned beef hash is good. and cheap store brand versions of campbell soup. and of course canned veggies and fruits.
>>
>>840925
Dinty Moore beef stew used to be really good, then they changed the recipe and its been shit ever since.
>>
>>840935
Longer than most meats. Sausages like that usually have a lot of sodium and nitrates to keep bacteria from spreading. You could also just cook it.
>>
>>841099
That looks like hell
>>
>>840931

Came here to say this, corned beef hash is god tier, lots of fat and protein, and can be used to stuff anything.

also not bad for packing and eating on the trail if you can allow the weight.
>>
>>841099
Is the catch to that "All Day Diarrhea"?
>>
If you're taking the food to the cabin the best canned food is the shit you like to eat.
Have a rotation going so you're always eating the oldest of multiple cans.
>>
Dried legumes, rice and spices
>>
>>840931
I don't know anyone that eats corned beef. I don't think they realize that it is the food of the gods.
>>
>>841517
In March I buy chitloads of corned beef when it goes on sale for St Patty's Day. Grind that shit up and make hash and freeze.

Gotta love it.
>>
>>841517
I had never eaten corned beef hash until I joined the army. in basic training at the chow hall you got to pic your breakfast meat, and I noticed you got a shit ton of it compared to bacon or sausage, so I asked for it.

I love it now.
>>
How long will hormel chili last if i pour it in a ziploc bag
>>
>>841541
Until you eat it. Preservatives and sodium out the wahoo.
Or just bury the can like a normal person.
>>
>>841541
why would you? the can itself isn't that heavy. if you are even considering bringing the fart feul dog food grade meal that is hormel chilli, you are not an ultralighter. the can itself might weigh 2 ounces.

also, don't get me wrong, I do love hormel chilli. frito pies or french fries with chilli and cheese. or a campground staple is baking potatoes in the fire, then putting chilli on top.

but yea, just take it in the can. you can even heat it up in the can, saves you from washing chilli out of your pot.
>>
>>841564
I never claimed to be ultralight. It would take up less space in my pack in a ziploc than a can
>>
>>841590
>less space
Wow, you're pretty fucking stupid to not understand the basic concept of volume.
>>
>>841611
Can we skip the autistic rage fueled argument over semantics and admit that you know I meant it'd be more malleable
>>
>>841627
ur gonna get chili all over the inside of your pack m8
>>
>>841627
You're not that smart
>>841638
This guy is right.
>>
>>841519
>St Patty's Day

It's PADDY you feckin burger
we don't call Thanksgiving Danksgibbing now do we?

Though I do love corned beef
>>
>>841895
>patrick = pat
>st. patrick = st. pat
>st. patrick's = st. paddy's
fookin doobliners
>>
>>841898
>Paddy = abbreviation of Patrick
>Patty = a slice of meat used to fill a burger
feckin irish, they ruined ireland
>>
File: denisons.jpg (388KB, 841x1200px) Image search: [Google]
denisons.jpg
388KB, 841x1200px
>>
Best bet is just to buy MRE meals, you'll shit hard as a brick but you'll be full
>>
File: stagg-chili.jpg (465KB, 780x1050px) Image search: [Google]
stagg-chili.jpg
465KB, 780x1050px
The Staple of my camping diet
>>
>>841952
You Aussie, fucker? That's the Hormel brand in Straya. It's good, but it's not the same as Hormel chili. Send your address and I'll ship you some of the real shit.
>>
>>842056
I'm Canadian my boy
>>
>>842060
address pls :]
>>
File: image 2.jpg (58KB, 560x346px) Image search: [Google]
image 2.jpg
58KB, 560x346px
>>840925
Great timing. My family has been preppers for a long time and we recently took inventory for outdated canned goods. Some are more than 18 months past the use by date and we have no problem eating them, they just taste bland but that's why God gave us so many seasonings.

The best advice you are going to get to find out which ones have the longest shelf life is this. Find the busiest store you can, one where the cans on the shelf don't sit around long. Maybe check and see if their dusty

Then check experition dates to find which brands of what types of canned goods last the longest.

Protip #1 Canned goods don't go "bad" unless dented but they lose flavor over time and it's best to store them in the darkest coolest place you can.
Theoretically you can eat a 25 year old can of beans though why would you want to.

Protip #2 and best tip.
The best and really only solution for long term food storage are dehydrated foods stored under a nitrogen blanket. Like Mountain House, Wise and a few others. Some of these have a super high sodium context so take that into consideration.
>>
>>842679
high sodium is a meme unless you are wheelchair bound.

the avrrage person sweats sodium. and they need sodium. but for some reason dumb ass magazines have convinced the public that the average healthy human can not sweat out salt
>>
>>840925
chic peas
canned beans
tomatoes
>>
>>842679
Your an inspiration
>>
File: mre-contents-800.jpg (94KB, 800x489px) Image search: [Google]
mre-contents-800.jpg
94KB, 800x489px
>>840925
What about MRE's? Full 24h meals + desserts and acesories designed to be stored for a long time
>>
>>845271
Many components of MRE's do not age well, the Tobasco sauce bottles, "cheese" spreads, and some of the candies/drink mixes are examples.

They are also rather expensive, and many are not all that palatable when "fresh".
>>
>>841099
Yeah, its not bad. But honestly, you get a better experience from tins of Pork'n'Beans. Pork Sausages in beans with tomato sauce.
All you're missing is those sausage+egg things which are tasteless and the bacon bits which are equally as tasteless.

They do contain mushrooms though, which are pretty badass in your breakfast beany combo. Try to get some dried mushrooms to add to your can of sausage and beans.
>>
>>840925
PROTIP: only five types of foods have actual expiry dates. the rest have best by dates and could be eaten indefinitely although will be far less tasty.

- Baby formula and other human milk substitutes.
-Nutritional supplements.
- Meal replacements.
-Pharmacist-sold foods for very low-energy diets.
-Formulated liquid diets.
>>
>>845467
I should specify though we're generally talking about canned foods. Not like milk or eggs or meat and vegetables not in the cans.

>>840931
corned beef is pretty gross on its own due to the saltiness but actually if you mix it with other stuff to dilute the salt it's not too bad.
>>
File: dank.jpg (169KB, 1439x809px) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
169KB, 1439x809px
>>841895
>Danksgibbing
>>
Chef B spaghetti & meatballs
>>
>>840925
my only advice is test it before you buy large quantities.
I onced buyed 30 cans of beansoup becouse it was a only 0,40$ offer . It tasted awefull.
>>
File: spam_can_open.jpg (40KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
spam_can_open.jpg
40KB, 500x301px
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.