[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm pretty new to backpacking, but I have a full set of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: back.jpg (401KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
401KB, 1200x797px
I'm pretty new to backpacking, but I have a full set of gear. Problem is, I didn't realize until now that most of the places I want to go require a fee. Normally I don't mind this, but sometimes, like today, I just want to leave the house on a spur-of-the-moment 3-4 day backpacking trip, and I want to do it for free. Are there any general rules of thumb on where you can and can't go for free? I think I heard that state forests are free, at least the one was that I went to.
>>
National forests are free if you live near one

Idk about parks tho
>>
>>839744
Usually the fee is for a campsite or parking. Just call whatever place you plan on going and ask
>>
>>839752
That's what i'm confused about. What, exactly, is a "campsite"? Does this apply to backcountry-type hikers?
>>
>>839744
First of anon, where you from? Shit varies from country to country.
Here in the USA we have national forests and BLM land. No fees for backcountry camping.
>>
>>839758
USA
>>
>>839754
Nope, depending on the state you may just need a campsite form to camp anywhere. The campsites parks offer generally have room for cars and tents, and have firepits, benches, and electricity.
>>
>>839744
>Hi /out, I want your help but I'm not going to give you anything to work with as far as my location (it's still 4chan and you might stalk me). Also I'm willing to spend 100's in gas to avoid small use fees.
>>
>>839766
>small use fee: $25/night
>gas: $8 both ways
>>
>>839770
>$8 both ways
So $8 gets you to a place with no fees? Sounds like a no brainer. Why are you asking here if you knew the answer?
>>
>>839800
Maybe he is incapable of making decisions without having confirmation via 4chan
>>
>>839761
Find your nearest national forest. Get a map of that NF(I highly recommend the National Geographic topo maps). Find a point of interest on NF map. Go there and camp.
>>
>>839800
No, I'm saying that it takes $8 to drive there, but the nightly camping fee is $25. It's a national park.
>>
>>839766
This
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.