[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/ So this kickstarter promises a 7lbs (3.3Kg) system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Sup /out/
So this kickstarter promises a 7lbs (3.3Kg) system for a tent/hammock including an insulated pad and a sleeping bag.

I'm pretty sure it will either fail, be shitty or weight more then that, but I'm somehow still tempted to back it.

Could some kind anon point out if it has any obvious flaws?
>>
OP here, I'm a huge faggot and forgot the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thermotents/the-best-tent-hammock-inspired-by-travel-crua-hybr
>>
>>837542
>>837554
It's massive

How the fuck would you pack that
>>
>>837557
From the site:

"It all packs into 2 x attachable bags.

Bag 1 for the Tent/Hammock and mattress is approx 20 inch x 9 inch diameter
Bag 2 for sleeping bag is approx 12 inches x 6 inch diameter
These can be carried individually or clipped together
Longest pole is 14 inches (approx 40 cm)"
>>
>>837557
>How the fuck would you pack that
In your car with everything else. Srsly, there are only like 20 people on this board that actually camp and most are eurocucks
>>
>>837542
>Is it practical/cheap?
Probably not.
>Does it look good in a catalogue?
Yes
>Will people be dumb enough to buy it?
Yes

Any more questions?

But seriously, the only thing going for it is that you can use it as a hammock. My 2 person tent wheighs 3,5 kg and has more space. Not to mention that I don't have to let my GF sleep outside because she didn't buy her own hammocktent.

Then there is the mattress. Air is a bad insulator, so the isluation part of the matress has to be pretty thick or it'll never stay, or even get warm.
>>
>>837578
Actually air is an excellent insulator when it's contained. The reason insulation like down works is because it traps air. There's very little down, it's mostly air space. That's why the insulation works.

Air that's allowed to freely flow is not a good insulator. Trapped air however is what makes most insulation work.
>>
>>837542
It looks like it's just an inner tent? you'd still need a tarp to keep dry
>>
>>837585
comes with a rain fly
>>
>>837583
Maybe, but air alone? I would imagine that air in a poorly insluated chamber will assume the ambient temperature pretty quickly. I remember from sleeping on one of those inflatable beds that it was cold as fuck because the room got chilly at night. Trying to heat up a fuckton of air in an non insulated chamber with your body temperature doesn't seem to work that well.
>>
Why is it so much heavier than normal gear?
>>
>>837777
chekk'd
>why so much heavier
Read back in the thread. There is more air trapped.
>>
>>837620
The key to air as an insulator is to keep it from circulating. It's trapping the air. If you just have a hollow air mattress, it moved freely. An air mattress with baffles and chambers can insulate very well. Even something like close cell foam, which seems solid, is insulated by having air trapped inside of it (inside of the closed cells).

Down insulated by trapping the air, and preventing it from circulating. Think how little down is in a sleeping bag. You can compress that bag down to 1/10th it's working size and when you uncompress it, it's air that fills the extra space.

If you compress a down sleeping nag, it no longer insulates. There's still the same material. The same amount of down, there's just no air. The air is key to the insulation properties.
>>
>7lbs

No thanks
>>
>>838004
The 7lbs is including both a sleeping bag and an air mattress (tent itself is 4.3lbs).

A DD superlight jungle hammock and superlight tarp weighs about the same as this tent/hammock, costs more and you still need a pad and sleeping bag.

What set-up do you use that weighs less, preferably without breaking the bank?
>>
>>837620
>>837934
+1 for air being a great insulator. Double pane windows use an air pocket in between the glass to insulate, and that's what makes them energy efficient.
>>
>>838035
I think the 7lb figure is a very aspirational weight. Given all of the aluminum in the thing I don't see how they will possibly get there even before they figure in the bag and pad.

My main setup is a 60 ounce tent (includes pole and stakes), a 15 ounce quilt, and a 12 ounce pad. I don't know what breaks you bank but that setup runs about $1000 retail. Weighs just under 6 lbs.

I'd expect this to be less but I still think they won't get to 7 lbs.
>>
>waterproof
>"aircraft grade" Aluminum
>connectability
>multi-layer design
>weight capacity
>breathable

Every single modern commercial tent that exists has these properties.
>>
>>838035
Shill detected
>>
>>839622
Yeah. Might as well just write "Tent".
>>
>>837542
There's plenty of one man double wall tents under 4 lbs. A lot of 2 person ones also. That leaves you 3 lbs for a pad and a sleeping bag which is easily doable. Probably for 300, maybe 400 bucks if you keep it reasonably priced?
Why is under 7 lbs special? How much are they going to sell this thing for?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.