[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If/when SHTF I need to make it 2000 miles west from where I am.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

If/when SHTF I need to make it 2000 miles west from where I am. No specific reason other than I don't know how survive here in a tropical region, and I can in a desert region.

I don't have the artistic ability to describe a scenario to you, but imagine that once you go as far as you can by vehicle, you end up having to resort to walking. Obviously the answer would be to siphon gasoline somehow, but humor me.

How would you travel from Point A to Point B? Remember, this is not a short distance, like across a town, This is walking for tens of miles in a day, hundreds over time, stopping to rest/hunt whenever required.

Should I stick to major roads like interstates and highways, or should I punch in a GPS coordinate and walk on my merry way through the brush?
>>
>>834713
when shtf, gps probably won't be an option. first of all because electricity. second because the chinese or the russians would shoot down the satelites. so pack a map and a compas.

the best way around will probably be staying the fuck out at first, unless you get out ahead of the panic. then steal what you can.

if you are ahead of the panic, small town stores will have gasiline still. just stick to the secondary roads and steal gas. a pump would be useful for this but you can make a jackoff pump with pvc tubing and a bag if necessary.

when all else fails a good touring bike is your best bet. I have a marin 29er that I put saddle bags on for my town bike, and I have a surly off road trucker that would be my go too.

also, if you don't have water in your truck, your house, and your go bag, your already dead.
>>
>>834713
a tropical region is way easier than a desert region
op confirmed for cosplay LARPer

Fallout isn't real you know
>>
>>834722
I have topographic maps of both where I am and where I'm going, and highway/interstate maps for inbetween.
O'm out of the loop out in the boonies, but the county would probably announce something service wide, volly firefighter ftw.
I have no idea how to siphon gas, all I know is that most cars now have a means of preventing people from shoving a piece of tubing down a gas tank.
I only have old mountain bikes laying around. Could look into it more.
I have a 30 gallon tank ready to load into my truck at any time, I'd just have to find steady sources.

>>834755
Lived in Utah for 15 years, less a desert where I was and more arid climate. Foot of the mountains, pretty nice place most of the year. South Carolina is easily the shittiest place I have ever lived. Humidity is ridiculous year round, August is like hell on Earth, no way to escape the heat other than to go inside and pray your AC doesn't fail. Rains too much, usually only floods shit out and makes it a pain to get around. It's almost inhospitable. I'd take dry as a bone any day, because you can put a baseball cap on and it be 10 degrees cooler in the miniscule amount of shade it gives you.

New Vegas is the best FO game, by the way.
>>
>>834763
sophoning.from a car is easy enough, provided rhey don't have the anti siphoning baffles. you just need a hose qnd a bucket. suck untill you get gas, then place the hose below the gas tank into the bucket. it is prerty simple physics you should have learned in 9th grade.

now a jack off pump is a little more involved. anyone who dwals with chemicals knows what a jackoff pump is. you sqwezw it down, aor goes out the top. it tries to re inflate and sucks up the liquid.

there are 2 ways of making one. the easiest is with a 2 gallon water jug, the other is 2 plastic bags.

but if you really need it tie a rope to a fucking cup and get gas that way. I am talking about stealing from stations, not random vehicles.
>>
>>834713
Idk man.
I have a horse.
She eats grass.
I follow the sun towards where it sets if I want to go west.

Must suck to be tethered to "engines" and electronic shit like "GPS"

Maybe you should discover yourself instead of finding a way to sustain what "they say" you need for your journey.
>>
>>834826
> i have a new god

Fag.
>>
>>834831
I found the guy that will be eating shoe leather on day one of the apocalypse
>>
>>834713
>If/when SHTF I need to make it _____ miles from where I am.

If your SHTF plan starts with this sentence, you've already completely fucked yourself over.

Your SHTF plan needs to be based around you being already where you need to be when SHTF. Otherwise, you may as well just shoot yourself in your foot and call it a day.

Thus, you better travel your 2k miles to the location right now BEFORE SHTF. Or, you can learn to survive where you are.
>>
File: StalkerPeace.jpg (233KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
StalkerPeace.jpg
233KB, 1600x1200px
>>834713
>get compass
>walk in direction of destination
>use roads if convenient

get maps! knowing where rivers, ponds, lakes are along the way is a must.

>>834960
>hurrrf when shtf you have to be barricaded and bug in!
where is your sense of adventure anon? how could you not want to explore the wastelands?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160812-072150.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160812-072150.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
The pct is 2600 miles, and takes experienced people who are prepared, and mailed themselves food the entire way an average of 5+ months to complete.

In a situation where people are hostile, martial law, government takeover, or just overall degeneracy, you will not stand a chance. It would take a Literal army to get you there. Not to mention you will starve to death very quickly, and will NOT be covering as many miles a day as those on a through hike.

Pic related is an alright series about a guy who's 200 miles from home when an EMP goes off, and the department of homeland security creates martial law. Not entirely realistic, but it definitely brings to light some considerations.

Survival would be equivalent to numbers, much more than preparation or individual skill.
>>
Might be just me
But if we're talking about a global shtf scenario. You're going to want to go north or south. Not east or west
>>
>>834713
What >>834960 said. Either move to the desert now or learn how to survive in a tropical climate.
>>
Your main concern when SHTF, will be to survive the first Winter.
>>
>>834763
>SC
Nigga just learn to deep sea fish and steal a sailing boat.
Also learn to sail.
>>
>>834713

Depends on the scenario. Environmental conditions might make off roading very hard. OTOH, a mass of evacuees could shut down the main roads.

Ideally, you want a vehicle that has 4wd and is diesel powered. Diesel for many reasons, but especially because even with a stabilizer, gasoline won't last for more than a year or two. Multifuel diesel is best, obviously. All things being equal, wouldn't you want to have a working car when you arrive?

Figure shitty fuel efficiency due to detours, checkpoints, and traffic snarls. For a truck, that's about 10 mpg or 200 gallons. Figure 30 gal tank, 30 gal reserve, and two Jerry cans, for 70gallons total. If you start with full tanks and refuel at half, that means six refueling stops. Four if you get another 30 gal tank.

A car would be more like 15 mpg under shitty conditions. 135 gallons, which with your 30 gal tank,10 in the car and a pair of Jerry cans is still six stops. But probably no 4wd or diesel, and very limited cargo.

Bring a bike and water. Plus a way to filter or purify more. Water is gas for YOU.

Then normal backpacking gear. Again a truck helps. Some peppers get a bug out trailer, pre-packed and ready. Hitch and go.

Nondescript is good. Tacticool is a trouble magnet. Official-looking might help you talk your way past a roadblock. Pick something with widely available parts.

An AR-15 and a 9mm pistol. Food. Tire repair kit and other auto supplies. Condoms- you might have a gf, or might end up taking someone along. A buddy is great and it might as well be fuckable.

Maps, good ones with county and local roads, covering at least three routes. GPS might still work. Binoculars for looking ahead. A radio.

Basically google bug out vehicle and skip all the tactical operator garbage.
>>
File: WhiteWalker.png (461KB, 684x513px) Image search: [Google]
WhiteWalker.png
461KB, 684x513px
>>835112
>Your main concern when SHTF, will be to survive the first Winter.
>survive the first Winter.
>survive
>Winter

embrace the cold. it gives the white man his power. it is our salvation.
>>
>>835227
Amen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH0R_CgISR4
>>
>>834713
If shit really hits the fan you and I will likely die along with 90% of this website.

Real life isn't going to be like S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Fallout. It isn't going to be like movies. We'll literally be fucked.

Sorry dude.
>>
>>837719
anyone who looks into it seriously understands how bad it would be
>>
When shtf in the U.S. our superhighways will look like Fury Road. Pre plan the route and get a fuel sipping car that can take a beating. Even then you're probably gonna die.
>>
>>834763
Oh... uhh.... hello fellow SC fag....

G-glad utah i-is nice...

29803 rep-represent
>>
>>837719
>>837749

So? Sure you can die easily. The trick is playing the odds, being prepared so that if you are among those who survive initially, you can get into a position to survive long term.

Plus if there's warning, you have a place, a pack, and a plan to get out while others are panicking or have their heads in the sand.

For well over a decade, FEMA has recommended that every American have a go bag that can support them for 72 hours after a disaster. Because that's the earliest they can get supplies into an area. The people of new Orleans didn't listen, and mostly didn't evacuate when asked prior to Katrina, and the state and local government didn't cooperate and enforce the order.

That's pretty typical. The body counts are often very high because people don't plan ahead. They live in flood plains, don't have an escape plan, and don't have a bug out bag. And assume the government will save them even when it explicitly warns them that it can't.

>>837761

Depends entirely on the disaster. Civilization collapse? Sure probably. Anything short of that? Your odds of survival might be pretty good, especially if you are prepared. Preparation pretty much always helps your odds.

And often isn't that expensive. The trick is to have stuff and routines that are useful even if there are no earthquakes, forest fires, floods, or hurricanes.
>>
OP here. Haven't checked the thread in a while, I figured it'd be dead by now. A lot of good info, thanks for the feedback /out/backers.

>>834826
Horses are more difficult to take care of than letting them eat grass, especially if you're riding them regularly. I have two of them and my neighbor breeds them.

>>834960
I had a decent one before I left Utah, and it's better than the one I have for SC. Where I'm situated is pretty much the worst possible place to hunker down for anything: flood plane, damn near 20 miles near anything that could be considered more than a village. I'd GTFO now, but finances are keeping me here. There's also nobody around here that I would trust with turning off a light if SHTF, let alone stick around and hope the don't turn on me.

>>834969
My pops taught me how to read and use a compass and topographic maps. I'm by no means perfect, but the knowledge is there.

>>834986
I've made guestimations into how long it'd take me to get there if everything was beyond fucked. Having to hunt for food, loot and scavenge for essentials, avoid others, bunker down for winter. Two years was about the shortest I could come up with and not feel like I was kidding myself.

>>835117
I'm more scared of the ocean than I am of death. No.

>>837719
While I wouldn't say I'd be the Eli of Book of Eli, I'd like to be prepared to be. No point in taking the "not-going-to-bother" route.

>>838519
29138. I met up with a couple of my relatives down there a few years back. Went to some pizza place and a nerd ass store that had 1001 Sonic Screwdrivers from Dr. Who.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.