[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ what do you think it's the best sport to seriously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 1468119981745.jpg (192KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1468119981745.jpg
192KB, 1600x900px
Hey /out/ what do you think it's the best sport to seriously get into it at late 20s and still have the capacity to be an above average athlete? Bonus points if /out/ related and an olympic sport.
>>
>>831542
>late 20's
Any sport, you're in your prime anon.

I personally enjoy kayaking and I'm going to try out boxing this fall. My uncle played basketball until he was 35. I work with a 55 year old man who runs marathons and plays tennis competitively. Swimming is a great low-impact/high-intensity workout.

You can always join a beer-league baseball/softball team if you're trying to focus on the social aspects of sports. Golf if you're looking to keep intensity to a minimum. Frolf is popular in my area, too but it's mostly hipsters and college kids playing.

You're in your late 20's. You still have the world by the balls.
>>
>>831542
bowling is the only option, or golf for out/olympic
You're too old to train your body the necessary muscles and muscle memory to be above average at anything by late 20's
>>
>>831555
False.

Proper nutrition and training will bring you to the above-average level, but it will take longer than if you were younger - and any deviation from your routine will be a major setback. Still, it's not unobtainable.
>>
>>831559
>not unobtainable
false
To be ABOVE average you should have started at least 10-12 years ago.
You can get good but will never be above average unless you have inate ability that far exceeds average.
>>
>>831542
Pentathalon is best sport.
>>
>>831553
I'm 26 and always played football(euro) but to be fair even If I go balls deep into a new sport I think it will be very hard to compete with people that have been do it since kids. But then again the goal is not to be the next Usain or Phelps, just do something to stay fit and enjoy myself.

>>831555
At some point I was already above average at football, even got called to be part of the state team
>>
>>831561
At the root of this argument, we're disagreeing on what "above-average" means. People that were practicing their sport 10-12 years ago and are still practicing today are an exception, not the average. Of people involved in a given sport, only about 10% were practicing since they were kids/teens, and of them only 1% are considered pro-tier.

There are many, many more people involved in a given sport that can't meaningfully compete than there are defining athletes of the same sport.

Let's use running as an example.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/533654-how-fast-should-you-run-a-mile/

Ages 17-21
>A runner who is 17 to 21 and in good health runs a mile in about 6:30 if he is in the top 1 percent of that age group
>Runners should shoot for a time of approximately 8:18 if they want to be in the 50 percent bracket for the age group.

Ages 27-31
>A runner who is 27 to 31 and can run a mile in 6:39 or better is in the top 1 percent for the age group.
>Runners who can finish a 1-mile run in 8:56 are in the top 50 percent for the age group.

By these numbers, an exceptional runner aged 27 who can run a mile in 7 minutes (feasible with intense training) is better than the average runner at age 18 who would run it in a little over 8 minutes.

It's not unobtainable but you will work considerably harder than the 20-year-olds, and it will take you longer to recover from setbacks.
>>
>>831580
where the fuck did they come up with those bullshit #'s
6 minutes top 1%
I'm 50+ and just started getting back in shape about a year ago. I can easily 5 minute mile. Sure, I can't sustain it but i the goal is just one mile those #'s are FUBAR
>livestrong
Imagine that, the fucking nutless wonder steroid boy wants to make $ off making people feel they are better than they really are so they by his fucking yellow bracelets.
>>
>>831542
skiing!! its like surfing but in the mountains
>>
>>831597
>where the fuck did they come up with those bullshit #'s
Did you not see the link I posted you ignorant twat?

>Describes something he completely disagrees with as FUBAR
I don't think that means what you think it means.

>Imagine that, the fucking nutless wonder steroid boy wants to make $ off making people feel they are better than they really are so they by his fucking yellow bracelets.
They quoted the U.S. Army Physical Fitness Guide, it says so in the fucking article. Maybe you should get thicker reading glasses before you start shitposting, grandpa. Now take your medicine and have a nap before your geriatric ass has an infarction and my medicare taxes go up you varicose shitstain.
>>
skeet shooting is a sport
>>
>>831614
Wow, you got pretty butt hurt that I took your #'s at face value and didnt go running to your linky to verify and read the article.

Trust me, grandpa will kick your ass 3 times to next tuesday....

FUBAR, yes, I know the meaning and those #'s are fuck up beyond all recognition if you think they are accurate in top 1%

6 minute mile in your teens is pussy time, not 1% time. Maybe you should get of your ass and try running. I'm not even close to top 1% in fitness but a 5 minute mile is easy.
>>
File: OK.gif (915KB, 245x285px) Image search: [Google]
OK.gif
915KB, 245x285px
>>831665
>"grandpa will kick your ass"
>"6 minute mile in your teens is pussy time"
>"a 5 minute mile is easy"
>shitposting this hard
Sure thing, grandpa. Sure thing.
>>
>>831681
For your sake I wish I was trolling but nope.
Might want to change your tampon, it's leaking...

You called me grandpa, I certainly don't use the moniker.
If you think a 5 minute mile is difficult you've never challenged yourself physically. I would say a 5 minute mile with a 30# pack is difficult, very difficult in fact but in shorts, on flat ground, and no load... meh.
Next your going to tell me the 20 minute swim mile is difficult.
>>
>>831689
>Still not a single reference to support your claims, just more and more shitposting.
Nap time, old man. Go.
>>
>>831542
Enjoy what you already love for a couple more years. Tried a few things (rugby, softball, 30+ basketball leagues) after I finally lost a step and some spring. For me it was very unfulfilling competing at a lower level. I got into powerlifting at about 35. You can still gain strength when you get old. I'm now 52 and obsessed with it.
>>
even people in the their 80s can play ping pong
>>
>>831597
>I'm 50+ and just started getting back in shape about a year ago. I can easily 5 minute mile
No, you can't. Are you one of those people that guestimates by looking at google maps and a watch?

OP your best bet is ultra distance racing (half Ironman/Ironman, ultramarathon, marathon/ultra distance Mountain Biking, etc.). The people at the top end of these sports are typically in their mid 30s. I did my first half Ironman when I was 26 and was in the top 10% of the field by the end of that year.
>>
>>831691
here's your reference Suzie...
Do you believe in a dude crushing four beers and running a mile, all in under five minutes? YES! YES!

A guy by the name of James Nielsen, who is basically the Roger Bannister of beer running, set the world record for the “beer mile” when he recorded a time of 4:57, shattering the 5-minute mark that seemed all but impossible to crack.

A beer mile is when you run a standard mile on a track, but must chug a 12-ounce can of beer for every 400-meter lap. Four beers, in other words. Also, the beer has to have higher than a 5.0 in alcohol concentration, because what do you think this is, some kind of joke? Also no vomiting is allowed.
>>
>>831723
>No, you can't.
OK you win, I cant, I'm just a big liar.
>google maps and a watch?
If you mean the local high school track and a stop watch, yes.

I am male, anon going on about 6 minute miles is probably looking at F stats/specs
>>
File: super reeves.gif (1MB, 396x242px) Image search: [Google]
super reeves.gif
1MB, 396x242px
>>831724
>the 5-minute mark that seemed all but impossible to crack
So the 5 minute mark was so difficult only one guy was able to do it, yet I'm supposed to believe everyone can run a 5 minute mile, and anything more than that is "pussy time".

Sounds legit. You'd better take a nap before you start to think you're George Reeves and jump off your roof. In fact do us all the favor, would ya?
>>
>>831689
What do you swim a mile in?
>>
>>831730
oy vei, while drinking 4 12oz beers and not puking. How fucking stupid are you?
I'm running it w/o drinking.
>>831731
17 casual but hard pace for me, I've never tried to all out, I swim to destress.
Running I had always heard of the infamous 5 min/mile so I just tried it and found I wasn't that far off so I pushed myself a bit.
>>
>>831733
>oy vei, while drinking 4 12oz beers and not puking. How fucking stupid are you?
Wow, you got pretty butt hurt that I took your #'s at face value and didnt go running to your linky to verify and read the article.

Nap. Go.
>>
File: masters1500.jpg (136KB, 853x457px) Image search: [Google]
masters1500.jpg
136KB, 853x457px
>>831733
Oh yeah, you casually swim a mile in 17 minutes? That's interesting, because the masters world record for the 1500m, 110m short of a mile, is 17.08. Until 98 no 50+ male had even gone under 18 minutes. So you, someone who started exercising a year ago, swim faster than the world record pace for your AG casually while destressing?

Notice how I knew you would lie? Just a heads up, when you make up fitness stories on the internet you will eventually run into someone that actually knows what they are talking about and will smell it out from a mile away. Why make up stories anyway, you are 50+ trying to boost your self esteem on an anime imageboard? Why?
>>
>>831740
Then my Y is lying to me about lane length or laps/mile. I'll gladly ask them and report back. I also thought the world record was in the 14's but must be wrong if you're saying it's 17:08 and that's not even a mile.
I did not say I just started exercising, I stated I started getting back in shape. I've been athletic my entire life.

>boost self esteem
nah, no need. Anything I've said I believed to be factual. I certainly have no need to anonomuously lie.

>>831735
>Nap
wanna cuddle qt?
>>
>>831753
Are you swimming in the kiddie pool? If not then no, it's either 25y or 50m, like every other lap pool in the world, for obvious safety reasons, if it was 22 yards and someone did a backstroke lap they would crash into the wall. Either you live in a bizarro world with nonstandard lap pools and 1/5th mile high school tracks, or you're just a compulsive liar. Hmmm, which is more likely? Here's the thing about embellishing your fitness accomplishments. Laymen won't be impressed, they don't know if a 3 minute mile is slow or 600lbs is an average deadlift, they won't be impressed with your made up numbers. The only people who know are the people that actually do the sports, and will bust you immediately. Shouldn't take 50 years to learn this but hey, everyone goes their own speed.
>>
>>831753
>I was wrong so my Y is lying to me
>I also thought the world record was in the 14's but must be wrong if you're saying it's 17:08
>and that's not even a mile
>Everything I've been saying is wrong, but believe me I can run a mile in 5 minutes and anything over is pussy-time!
>>
>>831542
You're not going to the Olympics ever.

Every fucking 2 years i see this shit.

You're not going to the Olympics.

Ever.
>>
>>831740
>egg on my face
Well I am a total a-hole and did lie, Albeit mistakenly, I'm enough of a man to bite it.
I have lived my life thinking it was 28 laps/mile. I stand corrected and it's 33 laps/mile. Assuming I maintain the same pace for the additional 5 laps I'm looking at 20/just over.
>>
>>831804
You're still lying. I've coached masters for 7 years, have had multiple former Olympians that are now in their 40s/50s in my class, and they aren't swimming 1:12/100 on a long set medium effort. Let's look at a typical masters event. Page 25 has the 1500m 50-54 results.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/16/2016_PacMasters_LCM_Champs__Results.pdf

These guys are serious swimmers, obviously not world class, but the best in the region for their age, this is likely their biggest event of the year, and of course they are giving max effort. The fastest 1500m was 21:29. You are STILL claiming you casually swim significantly faster than that pace for a longer distance, while relaxing. Why are you still trying to save face? I know you're going to keep doing it, but just give it up. I'm sure you make up stories like this in other threads and the same thing happens, just remember /out/, the people who are self assuredly correcting you or giving you advice are often compulsive liars who don't know what they are talking about. Really unfortunate aspect to the anonymous imageboard, you would think people wouldn't have any reason to lie as there is no reward but many posters still feel the compulsion.
>>
>>831820
People are inherently evil. It used to be that despicable people would lie and harm their fellow man for profit - now it's just for fun.
Time to purge and give another species a chance atop the food chain - we sure as hell don't deserve it.
>>
>>831542
late 20s is too late for real athletics
fortunately some sports dont require great physique

theres a bunch of silly sports like Bobsleigh for example, you dont need to be Usain Bolt to go fast in a sleigh
>>
>>831607
>skiing!! its like surfing
you could have compared it to water skiing, if you need to compare it to water sports
>>
>>831542

As you get older, you'll get better at ultras. Might as well start marathoming now and slide into ultras when your body is ready.
>>
>>831729

I'm with the other anon here. You made the claim, prove it. There's no way you're putting up that time at your age unless you've got an actual record in competitive running.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.