[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ A REI opened up near me recently. What's /out/'s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

File: Mountain_View_REI.jpg (317KB, 1320x886px) Image search: [Google]
Mountain_View_REI.jpg
317KB, 1320x886px
Hey /out/
A REI opened up near me recently.
What's /out/'s opinion on REI?
>>
They have awesome warranties and membership programs but those benefits are built into their costs. Not sure if I would trust their bike mechanics.
>>
They try to do everything so are not really good at anything IE they have a lot of breadth but not a lot of depth.
A lot of what they do is sell overpriced clothing to people who wear it shopping or dog walking
Their staff ranges from super knowledgeable to clueless.
They will try to sell you stuff that you don't want/need because it is overstocked

However, they are the only brick and mortar store of it's kind in my area so I go at least once a year.

Get the membership
>>
>>829536
>>829572
I see.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to check em out. I'll probably tread with caution
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 640x1136px
Just gonna leave this here. Dick's always has these flash sales on Thursdays that are good until 10pm that day and it is a pretty good one this week. All sorts of /out/ type stuff.
>>
>>829530
Take advantage of garage sales.
>>
>>829536
Their warranty program is not as great as it used to be but still pretty nice. It's now just one year as opposed to a lifetime warranty. You could theoretically go to REI every year to get fresh new gear for essentially free, but granted, the people that do that constantly are probably why they cut back on the policy a bit.
>>
>>829580
Thank you based PepsiFag
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 640x1136px
>>829626
It's worth signing up for their "Score Card" and you get like $10 back for every $300 spent. Nothing incredible, but Dick's seems to have the best sales by far on outdoors stuff even if their selection isn't the best. And they send the emails out for these flash sales almost every Thursday and it is always different stuff. No fishing stuff today unfortunately.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=50628776&camp=Email:08042016FlashSaleLink:Body_FlashSale&mcid=301316750
>>
The moment they changed their satisfaction guarantee from lifetime to one year, I went in and returned my membership card and never returned. I asked if I was part owner sense it's a co-op why did I need more cooperate earnings and were returns over a year old really a big problem. Rei is overpriced but I didn't mind sense I knew they stood behind their products, but now only for a year. I support small local mom and pop climbing and mountaineering shops now.
>>
>>829530
They sell good stuff. Some of it very over priced. Some of it fair. Great place to go for sales. Member benefits are definitely worth it.

I like it but I wouldn't get all my gear from there. Not on that pay scale yet.
>>
>>829530
i try to support my local who will normally special order things for me. sometimes if my local does not have it ill browse REI to see it in person and if my local cant get it ill buy it online.

>>829572
>They try to do everything so are not really good at anything

thats true. but its good when you are new boy scout or trying to get your friends to come /out/ with you.
>>
great place to go try stuff on before ordering it online someplace else for 30% less. just a couple months ago i went and wore a loaded gregory baltoro and osprey xenith around the store for 30 minutes each (baltoro kicked the xenith's ass, btw). ordered it from moosejaw for almost $100 less later that day.

don't trust the sales staff's confidence-80% of the time they're talking out their ass.

>>829588
depends on the lunacy of their local market base. here in the sf bay area you have to get in line by 5 am or don't even bother going, and then you're still fighting with lunatics to just grab as much as you can. totally not worth it. i hear other regions are less shitty, though.
>>
as probably everyone has said, it is overpriced. but just one big purchase pays for the membership. they have sales for members which is nice. no one cares on the trail if it is last season's gear.

the main upside is that it is a physical store. I am a little older than most on this site. and yea I love ordering very specific things from amazon. but for alot of stuff I need to physically touch it before I buy it. and rei is great for that.

also sometimes you need something RIGHT NOW. that is mainly what I use it for at this point.
>>
REI prices everything at or near MSRP, so they seem expensive compared to online retailers, but if you buy a membership you can get a lot more value for money than most e-tailers with the dividend and all the sales/coupons they throw at you.

The best way to shop at REI is to buy little things like socks, snacks, etc and bud up a decent dividend then cash that in for a major purchase when the next 20% coupon comes out.

The quality of shop services vary from location to location but are generally pretty good for basic tuning and maintenance stuff.
>>
>>829580
Dicks started in my area. They still keep the original store open, which is a little hole in the wall compared to the other stores. They do keep more specific camping stuff at the old store though, and always have a different selection from the larger dicks store in town.
>>
>>829641
They did that because people were taking advantage and abusing it.
>>
>>829818
Wow, that's crazy. There is actually a really nice Dick's near where I used to live. It used to be a place called Galyan's or something, closer to an REI being a bit more upscale than Sports Authority and more focused on outdoors and nice apparel. It is a 2-story store. I guess Dick's bought them out and they had to fill out that 2-story building so it was great having the prices of Dick's with a selection closer to Bass Pro.
>>
>>829743
Is Moosejaw cheaper than Amazon? Where else should I look? I'm in the market for a good backpack right now, either a Kelty or an Osprey.
>>
>>829580
Thanks based PepsiFag!

I'm just starting /out/ and will be buying a lot of gear here and there over the next couple years, I'm sure this will save me some money at some point.
>>
>>829848
Galyan's was the shit, much better than Dicks in my opinion.

If you mean that 2 story building they built in Greenwood, it is a furniture store now and Dicks is in the mall with about 1,000 FT2 total devoted to hunting, fishing, and camping and 100,000 FT2 to T shirts and shoes.
>>
>>829859
Nah this one was in Schaumburg, IL. The Galyan's was only there for maybe 5yrs before it got bought out. I'm sure there were more though.
>>
>>829859
And I feel ya on the clothing thing, it sucks. Recently a lot of the Dick's near me cut back on their fishing sections to expand the kayak and tubes and all that stuff. But I also have 2 Bass Pros and a Gander Mtn within a short drive.

I went in a Sports Authority a year or two ago for the first time in forever and not a single one carries any fishing stuff anymore and their outdoors section as a whole is tiny. It amazes me because fishing is huge around here. But they devoted all of that space to watersports stuff too.
>>
Membership is worth it just for the garage sales. Other than that they're a generalist outdoor store. Nothing special besides the garage sales
>>
>>829530
Rei membership is worth it for 2 things. Sales on mountain house (stuff has a 12 year guarantee, stock up) and sales on socks.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_055613.jpg (981KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_055613.jpg
981KB, 2048x1536px
>>829883
> nothing special

You must not know how to shop?

Yesterday I returned 3 garments I bought over the last 6 months, reason: "I lost weight".

Got $223.01 in store credit.

Used my 25% off any full price REI item coupon, plus store credit and bought the REI Kingdom 8 tent for $175ish.

I have returned anything I wanted to if I wasn't absolutely tickled pink by it.

Once returning a pair of sleeping bags because the next higher model in the line went on sale for just a few dollars more.

Shop the REI-Outlet for 25-50% (or more) off everyday.
>>
File: IMG_20160321_050929.jpg (922KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_050929.jpg
922KB, 2048x1536px
>>829970
> socks
I know.
>>
>>829994
>hanes boxer briefs
how pleb can you get?
>>
>>829851
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Amazon is all over the place with pricing since they opened up to third party sellers.
>>
>>829995
> i can expertly identify men's underwear at a glance

You can suck it, that's how.
>>
File: 1468122679190.jpg (11KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
1468122679190.jpg
11KB, 235x235px
>>829530
I like them for how awesome they are for trying out the gear right there in the store. they let me set up the tent I was looking at buying right in the middle of the store and get a sleeping bag and lay in it to make sure I fit.
>>
okay, but expensive
>>
>>829851
baltoro guy here

i knew exactly what i wanted, so i checked all the gear sites until i found it on sale. moosejaw was the cheapest PLUS they were able to get me the medium size pack with the small waistbelt for no extra charge (everyone else could only do the factory default medium-medium). couldn't beat that.
>>
>>830049
>baltoro

Mah nigga. The 65L I own is comfy as all heck.
>>
>>829641

Thank Sally Jew(ell)

Ran the company into a retail overpriced shitshack. Find higher end, cheaper, elsewhere.
>>
>>829991
You are the worst kind of person. No integrity.
>>
>>830049
>>>829851
>i knew exactly what i wanted
Yeah, I do too, now.

>checked all the gear sites
What are some others, besides Moosejaw (yes, I'm new at this)?
>>
File: IMG_20160718_053546.jpg (792KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160718_053546.jpg
792KB, 2048x1536px
>>830179
> others
Backcountry.com

>>830107
> insists using gear for life and returning it
> sense

>>830145
> store policy: return any item for any reason up to one year
> even if you don't like the color

> store

> policy

t. salesman's mouth.

>>829883
> garage sales

Where do you think all that "garage sale" gear comes from?

I have no problem returning pants bought online at 25% off retail,
I never wore and didn't fit, for a tent that has more room than a popup trailer.

And I'm thinner, so suck it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-08-07-47-37.png (249KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-08-07-47-37.png
249KB, 320x480px
>>829995
Why are you checking his jimmies?
>>
>>830145
> Cash out of pocket $173.74.

Free shipping, should arrive tues or wed.
>>
>>829572

True, but there areas where REI is my go-to spot.

1) some of the better light-weight tents are REI tents. I've had several and all of them have been excellent
2) A good selection of backpacks, and they can order things that they don't have in stock.

Plus, I like the fact that they aren't a corporate store and are a co-op. While local stores are my favorite, I would rather give REI my money than a corporate store like Dick's.
>>
>>830051
i love how secure it feels. the osprey xenith just felt...smooshy by comparison.

>>830182
my checklist is usually
>moosejaw
>backcountry
>gearx
>campmor
>campsaver
>sierratradingpost

>tfw no more dirtbag deals on mountain project once rei bought it.
;_;
>>
>>830315
meant to respond to >>830179
>>
>>829530
REI is awesome because you don't have to buy anything.
Pick out item, purchase, use, return within 1 year no questions asked, REI resells it at their semi-annual yard sale.
lather
rinse
repeat

While I had to lay out the initial cash I replace all my gear every 6-9 months for new and I'm set for life.

Want to try camping, buy a tent.
Don't like it, return.
Want to try a specific tent to compare, buy it, return.
Want to try sleeping in a hamock to see if it's meme or not
Buy & use & return

Going on a river trip but don't have a kayak and don't want to pay to rent one.... by now you've figure it out.

C'mon say it with me

BUY IT
USE IT
RETURN IT
>>
>>830329
They don't keep track of you returning everything?
>>
>>830330
They do, and if people flagrantly abuse the return policy they flag the member account and won't let you return anything without a long conversation with a manager first
>>
>>830580
> ditto

t. tru dat

You will be harried if you are a no bucks faggot. My cred is substantial.

>>830234
I do well.
>>
>>830580
>flagrantly abuse
It's not abusing the policy if you use the policy as it's designed. You have to be 100% satsified. I just say I'm not because of xxx or lack of yyy. Yeah, I have to say it to the big scary manager but so what. They cannot turn me down as long as I have a legitimate reason. If they do and I go public on social media they are gonna get slammed. I also record the transactions on go-pro clone or iphone just in case.
Yep, I'm "that guy"
>>
File: 1469447341546.jpg (29KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1469447341546.jpg
29KB, 342x342px
>>829995
Last time I wore hanes I went to the bathroom and cut them off with my knife because they were so damn itchy.

That was 2007.
>>
When I see people with gear from REI I already know they are very wealthy and therefore I entirely disregard their existance because the woods will never be anything but recreation to them. However I am in the woods to survive, to sustain my life. Those ultra light plastic sporks and fancy down jackets that look like a twig could tear them have nothing to do with me and having that bullshit is one of the fastest ways to lose my respect. A person must be able to make functional decisions in their life, buying something from REI proves you have it so easy in life that it doesn't matter if you make a few bad choices, but for me the wrong choice could be much more dire.
>>
backcountryedge dot com almost always has the cheapest prices on anything by an incredible margin
>>
File: 847169841228430465.jpg (26KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
847169841228430465.jpg
26KB, 367x500px
>>830908
Is this the out equivalent of a weaboo?
>>
>>830908
> i fear success
>>
>>830908
Dude hate sporks. Haha.

Enjoy your emotional problems and misdirected anger. No wonder you have to live alone and /out/. No one that's /in/ would tolerate an insufferable prick that hates people because their of their jackets.
>>
>>830908
>not buying REI socks

Anon theyre comfy. Maybe if you bought some you wouldnt be so mad.
>>
>>830908
>REI
>Only for richfags

fuckin lol
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.