[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was planning to kill myself last night but then I figured why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: AT-map-e1452979949639.gif (82KB, 535x640px) Image search: [Google]
AT-map-e1452979949639.gif
82KB, 535x640px
I was planning to kill myself last night but then I figured why not do something amazing instead?

I'm planning on hiking the entire Appalachian trail and my life is now dedicated to doing this until next april when I set off. I have some experience in hiking/fishing but it seems a little overwhelming at the moment and I'd appreciate it if any of you had some tips or resources I should consider.
>>
>>829268

>>I was planning to kill myself last night but then I figured why not do something amazing instead?

if you plan on killing yourself at some point during the trail just do it out of sight and put out your fire first.
>>
>>829268
Dude i'd just go out west instead. The east is pretty shit for /out/ stuff.
>>
>>829276
Plan on doing this one because the starting point is close
>>
>>829268
>AT?
>amazing
Why? just walk around your local park. Everyone knows the AT is shit. The entire east coast is shit. I really can't figure out why anybody lives there. Maine is garbage and white trash america.
>>
>>829268
Maine/New Hampshire is by far the hardest and most brutal part of the trail.

Since you're leaving in april, leave from the southern part of the trail and head north, chasing the temperate weather and avoiding the insane heat and humidity of the south.

You don't need to worry toooo much about food, there's hardly a stretch of 10-15 miles where there isn't a trail town or hostel.

Take care of your feet.
>>
>>829296
Spoken like a butthurt Californian

what, are you sad that when you went to Portland it wasn't like Oregon and the mean old fishermen made fun of your woman shoes?
>>
>>829299
This - you will die if you set foot on Kitadhin in April.
>>
>>829301
Portland ME is all hipsters now just like Fake Portland.
>>
at is baby-tier. you should do what i'm doing: walking from ny to costa rica.
>>
>>829299
I'm leaving from georgia and hoping to avoid the larger groups of people. The only thing I'm going to be sad about is leaving my dog behind
>>
>>829305
I wish I could disagree with you, but I am forced to agree

I remember portland back in "the day", where it was just filled with dock workers, fishermen, and other blue collar types who liked to drink and fight. My dad has some cool stories about his time as a bouncer for Amigo's, Zoots, Gritty's, etc etc

I grew up in those bars as a little kid. I went to Ptown recently and it was kind of sad to see how "Safe" and gentrified it's become.

I guess if your city ends up on a few buzzfeed top 10 lists, it's gonna get swarmed with hipsters
>>
>>829268
If you have a hard time stop in western north Carolina and live. Tons of hot hippies living on homesteads off the grid.
Stay positive, friend. A man's heart is his own and only he can break it.
>>
>>829308
>avoid larger groups of people

The AT is less of a wild nature trail and more like a social experience to be honest. You'll probably be seeing people at least once or twice a day and interacting with them if you stay at lean-to sites or hostels. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however. I've met some really cool people and had some great conversations with other hikers, plus you all help one another out. The only people to avoid are the thru-hikers who look like stern hippies- they tend to be quiet, awkward, and stand offish.
>>
>>829268
>tfw another OP from /b/ nevar delivared
>>
>>829313
Oh, maybe this isn't for me then. I was wanting something where I had to depend on myself and rarely see another person. I just don't feel like I have a place in this world and want to get away from it.
>>
>>829324
Buy a cheap ass boat and head for the open seas
>>
>>829324
I'm sorry to have burst your bubble. Please though, don't think that you're going to be seeing huge crowds of people and be forced to interact- but also don't think you're going to be stepping into some remote wilderness where nary a soul shall tread (with the exception of the 100 mile wilderness part of the trail in Maine)

If it's any consolation, it gets less populated as you go further north during that season, because a lot of people give up after the first couple of weeks.

If you wanna be somewhere where you'll never see someone else, you might have to look a bit harder. Just don't off yourself, there are plenty of places like you want if you look.
>>
>>829326
Well the whole reason I made the thread is so I could get some insight, I just worry about it being some bullshit where I can't take a shit without a group of people walking by
>>
>>829328
It's a popular trail, but it's not THAT popular.

It runs through a few tourist spots so you'll run into crowds on occasion- most notably on Mt Washington- but while it's common to see people on the trail, there are sections of it where you probably won't see another soul- or if you do, you just nod to each other and go on your way. You're not obliged to sit down and talk with everyone you see.
>>
>>829329
That doesn't sound that bad, and I'm probably just being shitty if I'm honest. Thanks man, I appreciate the info
>>
>>829304
Aren't Katahdin trails "closed" until May? BSP has been restricting access heavily.
>>
>>829305
>Portland ME is all hipsters
and darkies
>>
>>829324
>>829326
>>829328
Think of it like driving on a highway. There are cars that drive alone and there are pack cars. The alone cars sometimes pass the packs or have another car pass them but they prefer to drive with nobody around them.

tl;dr
You can control if you're around people or not but you might see some.
>>
>>829338
I dont know about this. I can't imagine they are completely closed but I know they either moved the end or are talking about moving the end due to the amount of partying.
>>
AT is a wilderness bar crawl. Whatever floats your boat though. People usually do it before the PCT because the logistics are easier. PCT has more scenic views in the first 100 miles than on the entire AT though.
>>
>>829318
The tripfag is right
>>829268
Do it
>>
>>829313
really? thats funny, the thru-hikers i've met were all pretty chill on the AT. real good campfire talks with em.
>>
I'm on the A.T right now nobo in in the northern new hampshire/Vermont area, not a thru hiker just a lasher. No doubt this shit sucks. Everyone all agrees that it sucks but we all keep trucking for god knows what
>>
>>829276
>>829296
truth :/ there's some ok spots around where I live if you like woods and lakes, but nothing Utah-tier
fuck i want to move out there just don't have the money nor the job
>>
>>829268
Thru hike the G.E.T.
Its a newer long distance trail. Starts in Alabama ends in NY IIRC. Wont be as crowded as the A.T.
Google the "Great Eastern Trail" for more info
>>
>>829268
good for you man! I've never done the whole thing in one go but i've being doing pieces of it my whole life.

mount greylock in western mass has a great place to stay at the summit if you need a night indoors. reserve the mt Washington cabins waaaay in advance.

plenty of birch bark to use as fire starters if you keep your eyes out for it.

you will have plenty of alone time but if you play the books right you probably will make some friends. people on /out/ love to trash hipster/college towns but if you are looking for a ride into town to hit a post office. pick one of those.
>>
File: 1312582786025.jpg (81KB, 562x434px) Image search: [Google]
1312582786025.jpg
81KB, 562x434px
>>829296
Maine is God-tier
>>
>>829589
SECOND THIS
S
E
C
O
N
D
T
H
I
S
>>
>>829296
troll

>>829305
true. mideast is where the last cultural bastions of fishermen are. and bath iron works

People tend to forget that Mainers build some of the Navy's ships.
>>
>>829276
Fuck you nigga, the east may not have vast wilderness on the level of the west, but still has wilderness, and its nature is a very different kind. It has far more diverse plant and animal life. It teaches you to appreciate detail. It has a completely different climate and weather patterns. It has a huge coastline of sandy beaches that go forever that have better swimming than the west coast. And you dont have to worry about giant bears and cats and wolves eating you.
>>
>>829331
Avoid the thru hiker bubble if you wanna be alone. Right about now their rolling through the beginning of New Hampshire.
>>
>>829539
Despite all the positive, lovin live, lovin adventure vibe you get from many thru hikers, many of them are lost souls, just like OP.
>>
>>832087
We have bears and cats in the east Jack ass along with gators and an ass of snakes
>>
Since I was young people have been telling me im a lost boy or similar things. I joined the army to see if I could figure out who i am or what im capable of, fought in Afghanistan and iraq... And have felt lost ever since. Next spring im thru hiking the PCT looking for myself again... Anyways what you said about lost souls kinda brought it back to my attention...... Not op by the way
>>
>>832204
>Giant bears

>giant cats

Gators are mostly in florida

The west is full of rattle snakes, I'd say theyre a bit more dangerous
>>
>hiking for the scenery
If you want scenery, go to Google Images. I don't know why you fags make it your prime directive because it honestly isn't the only aspect of hiking the AT.

Hiking in the AT you will come across some really neat towns like Asheville, NC; Damascus, VA; Harpers Ferry, WV - and much more.

You're forgetting about the people. You will meet all sorts of people on the AT. Some would stab you for a pair of socks, others would become lifelong friends.

People do it for all kinds of reasons: a challenge - therapy - to lose weight - to prove yourself - to run from the feds - to go outside - to escape the modern world...
all kinds of reasons.

You scenefags need to fuck off with your stupid photography and go be annoying tourists somewhere else. Everybody hates a tourist.
>>
File: 1344179872587.jpg (11KB, 267x280px) Image search: [Google]
1344179872587.jpg
11KB, 267x280px
>Got hemorrhoids last time
>Only made it to Neel's gap

Next year I'll gonna make it.
>>
>>832610
>Got hemorrhoids last time
Get it/them surgically removed. Best thing I ever did. No recurrance, no issues after rolling on the floor & crying like a little girl when I had my 1st BM after the surgery.

I used to have flair ups doing anything that made me sweat. Nothing since.
>>
>>832616
I would but I have no health insurance.

I don't get them from exercise but from straining while taking a shit or from prolonged sitting.

I think mine flared up from straining due to a sudden change in diet. Those small, hard to push out shits are killer.
>>
>>832450
>rattle snake dangerous
try a copperhead, rattlers give you a warning. coppers just fucking strike
>>
File: ITSAFUCKINGWHITEMALE.jpg (61KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ITSAFUCKINGWHITEMALE.jpg
61KB, 1080x1080px
>>829296

Is this the selfie you took before you went out hiking to get your gender fluid, 3 pump, non-binary moca latte from starbucks?
>>
>>832626
>Health insurance
Feels good to Canadian. But that legit sucks man
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.