[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am thinking about buying a pipe to use while out. Cigars are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 52

File: tmp_851-pipe2373998579.png (43KB, 300x172px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_851-pipe2373998579.png
43KB, 300x172px
I am thinking about buying a pipe to use while out. Cigars are too hard to store in a backpack and they're expensive. Do any of you smoke innawoods? Weed smoking degenerates stay in your own thread.
>>
>>827330
>Cigars are too hard to store in a backpack
WAT? Why?
>>
Yep. I smoke a pipe innawoods. Generally I just bring an old beater pipe, a pouch of tobacco, a czech tool and some matches and I'm set.

Assuming you've never smoked a pipe before, get a corncob to start because in all likelihood you will ruin your first pipe, so hold off on buying a nice one until you learn how to smoke properly/decide it's for you. Watch some youtube videos and the like to learn how, and feel free to ask your local tobacconist or any of your pipe smoker friends any questions.

Suggestions for tobacco I have for starting out are pretty much anything made by dunhill, particularly Elizabethan Mixture, which was my very first pipe tobacco. It lights easily and is very mild. There is also a possibility that your tobacconist might have their own bulk blends of tobacco available, which I wholeheartedly suggest you try. It's a lot cheaper than buying tins and are a unique local experience. Plus, you can look at and smell what you get before buying it. They might even let you take a free sample. You can also order bulk tobacco online for very cheap as well. pipesandcigars.com is pretty good for this.

As for smoking a pipe outdoors, I guess just avoid smoking on really windy days as this can act like a bellows and make your pipe too hot, and if you do this enough you'll burn a hole in your pipe. Pipes are nice from a leave-no-tracer's point of view I suppose, since they hold all their ash, but whatever. Other than that, smoke away.
>>
>>827346

This, what the actual fuck OP?
>>
>>827346
If you just get like a cigar tube there shouldn't be any issues with them getting crushed. They'll probably stay fresh for a few days too.
>>
>i wanna be a hipster faggot: the thread
>>
>>827359
hipsters smoke menthols and hash and rarely actual take the initiative to go innawoods
the faggots can't handle dark tobacco

>>827330
OP just get a cigar case or, if you only plan on having the one while you're out, a tube
>>
Just chew your tobacco like a real outdoorsman
>>
File: 1468145937857.webm (3MB, 600x254px) Image search: [Google]
1468145937857.webm
3MB, 600x254px
>>827351
Cutlerylover on YouTube does quite few videos on pipe smoking, idk if any of it is from a innawoods perspective but it's a good channel nonetheless
>>
File: deth.png (156KB, 454x443px) Image search: [Google]
deth.png
156KB, 454x443px
>>827351
>decide it's for you

the nicotine decides that for you kappa
>>
File: 1436833447402.jpg (1MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1436833447402.jpg
1MB, 3984x2988px
used to, dont do it much anymore, haven't felt like it in a while, more of a winter thing for me, seeing that ember and the faint warmth, something about it you know
>>
>>827392
I'm gonna die in my 40s anyway. I don't wanna be fat, old, and shaky.
>>
>>827346
OP here, I do a lot of long distance hiking and they dry out.
>>
>>827404
Get a cigar caddy you stupid fuck, they're like $20.

>>827392
You don't inhale pipe/cigar smoke. It's much harder to get addicted to either.
>>
>>827359
Yeah, wizards abound
> Gandalf.jpg
>>
>>827418
You're retarded. Pipe smoking is much more efficient by weight and space than cigars are.
>>
>>827538
They're also not equivalent experiences is any fucking way. OP only wants a pipe because he's worried about his cigars being damaged and drying out. The solution to both is to get a cigar caddy like any reasonable person. Smoking a pipe is also a lot fucking harder than a cigar and far more fiddly.
>>
Make your own out of household materials and actaully do something with yourself
>>
File: mthsnt.png (143KB, 337x363px) Image search: [Google]
mthsnt.png
143KB, 337x363px
>>827650

using household materials to smoke out of is a recipe for success.
>>
File: 1468787455817.gif (1MB, 249x149px) Image search: [Google]
1468787455817.gif
1MB, 249x149px
>>827330
>smokers
>>
I like Dutch style snuff and non-tobacco chew, fuck smoking.
>>
Just get some Rolling tobacco and some Rolling paper.
>>
>>827669
This
>>
>>827669
My dad can roll one with one hand, said he learned it from old western movies
>>
buy a big fat vape and rip fat clouds into the canopy
>>
File: yK7dHn6.jpg (3MB, 3120x2322px) Image search: [Google]
yK7dHn6.jpg
3MB, 3120x2322px
>>827799
only correct answer senpai
>>
you missed the 1920s, faggot: act like 21st century, smartphone-addicted millenial you are. you're no man.
>>
>>827799
>>827806

vapes are actually kind of annoying outdoors desu

always end up with dirt in my mouthpiece
>>
>>827386
source?
>>
>>827657
grow some hair you bald fuck
>>
>>827944
Looks like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Addio
It's worth watching.
>>
>>827330
>>
>>829392
>implying you can start a fire with a cigar without actively trying
>>
>>827330
I have a corn cob and a Cherrywood i take /out/ because they cost me only a couple bucks so i don't care of they get fucked up.
I smoke some blends from my local tobacconist. Usually either the vanilla, raspberry, or blackened blends.
>>
File: come_on_dude.jpg (280KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
come_on_dude.jpg
280KB, 1200x1200px
>>829394
>glowing bit of ash falls on little pile of sawdust from beavers/wood-bugs
>ignites
>surrounded by all kinds of other flammable shit
>spreads

Why the fuck do you need a smoke so bad anyways? I thought you loved the outdoors. That's like eating a sandwich while swimming. Just fucking wait until you're done or do it before. Save smoking for the city/town. Fill your lungs with clean oxygen in the woods, not ash.
>>
File: 234234232.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
234234232.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
>>829423
>>glowing bit of ash falls on little pile of sawdust from beavers/wood-bugs
You've obviously never smoked a cigar nor tried to burn sawdust before. The ash off a cigar is cool to the touch. I can and have had to pick it up seconds after it falls off the cigar and it's not hot at all. The part that's actually burning stays on the cigar. So unless you fucking fall asleep and drop it right after taking several heavy puffs after knocking all the loose ash off, there's no way it's hot enough to light some random shit on the ground. And a pile of sawdust makes a fucking awful start to a fire, it just chars over and goes out because it's so fine.

>Why the fuck do you need a smoke so bad anyways? Save smoking for the city/town.
Maybe you should try it some time. There's nothing better than enjoying a nice cigar while listening to nature.

>Fill your lungs with clean oxygen in the woods, not ash.
>filling your lungs
>cigar
>inhaling cigar smoke
Go sit down, adults are talking.
>>
>>829426
>all that text
Go have a smoke buddy, calm those nerves.
>>
>>829427
That's a real nice counter argument you have there.

>implying I need to smoke at all
>>
>>827330
Cannabis > Tobaco
>>
>>827330
Dont waste your Money OP. Just build one. It is not as hard and in itself really relaxing. Also you end up having a custom, handmade 100% one of a kind pipe.
>>
>>827359
>i am a degenerate cigarette addict: the reply
>>
>>827392
You don't smoke a pipe like a cigarette unless you're 15, anon. Not the same kind of smoking.
>>
>>830282
Cannabis fucks up pipes bro,unless you are using a glass pipe or a cheap corn cob you don't mind having to replace, then you are wasting money
>>
>>830348
How does put fuck up your pipe? Is the res too hard to clean out or something?
>>
>>830360
The res doesn't really come out of wood pipes.
Get a metal pipe or a sturdy glass pipe and you're good though.
I've had my glass pipe for 10 years, dropped it, chipped it, still smokes good though
>>
>>827418
>>830298

ITT people who think smoking pipe tobacco is non addictive HAHAHAHAHAHAHA wtf

>2016
>being this retarded
>>
>>827418
>>830298

Literal brain damage?
>>
File: VapeStripper.jpg (33KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
VapeStripper.jpg
33KB, 500x323px
You're doing it wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>827330
Just make a steamroller. Took me 10sec
>>
>>827359
Nah that would be the daily 'le guiz i smoke weed innawoods who does it 2 xd' threads.
>>
>>830403

> "pipe tobacco is non addictive guise!!11!"
> needs tobacco so much that he smokes out of a crumpled aluminum can
>>
>>830403
Are you ok, pepsifag?
>>
>>830403
noice
>>
>>830434
>>830432
Ehh, it's no gravity bong. Or at least bring a homemade waterfall innawoods for your pipe "tobacco"
>>
>>830382
>>830364

>I'm a fucking retard that can't read
I didn't say you can't, I said it's much harder. You don't inhale cigar/pipe smoke into your lungs so it has a much harder time passing the blood brain barrier. By the time the nicotine reaches your brain you're done smoking unless it's something like a 2+ hour smoke. I've smoked large triple maduro cigars once a day for a month before and then gone three weeks with absolutely no withdrawal symptoms. Cigarettes also have extra shit in them that make the body crave nicotine more readily and the fact you inhale the smoke makes the nicotine absorption exponentially faster. The only people I know of that smoke cigars that are actually addicted are ones who were already smoking cigarettes. Even now, I haven't had one in like a week and have no heavy compulsion to have one.
>>
>>830364
Because of a no smoking policy where i live I have to smoke outside. I smoke with the weather because of this.
The only compulsion to smoke I have is "wow, it's a really nice day for a smoke"

I'll go months without smoking no problem
>>
>>830282
DUDE
W
E
E
D
L M A O
>>
File: rusty.png (70KB, 263x249px) Image search: [Google]
rusty.png
70KB, 263x249px
>>830492
>>830677

be aware that terminal lung cancer patients start out with moderate tobacco addictions too.
>>
>>830684
>going three weeks or more without a smoke
>addiction of any kind
>>
>>830684
100% of exercisers also die
>>
>>830298
>>827418
Cigarette smoker here

Why and how. Please.
>>
>>831469
Why and how what? The difference is you do it for the flavor, not the nicotine. You only pull the smoke into your mouth which is a FUCK TON slower method of absorbing nicotine than pulling it fully into your lungs like pretty much all cigarette smokers do.
>>
>OP thinking he's any less degenerate than weed smokers
>>
>>827330
Thinking carrying an oblong shape and a waterproof package for tobacco is easier than a marker sized self contained tube. You could take a tip or two from these "weed smoking degenerates"
>>
there is absolutely nothing more relaxing than enjoying a cigar innawoods

just get a tube OP it's beyond worth it
>>
File: 1470410190561.png (537KB, 692x577px) Image search: [Google]
1470410190561.png
537KB, 692x577px
>>831473

>I smoke tobacco but not for teh nicotine lmao

retard alert is high with this one.
>>
>>832083
It's okay anon, you'll graduate middle school some day.
>>
File: 003-021-0017.jpg (83KB, 300x295px) Image search: [Google]
003-021-0017.jpg
83KB, 300x295px
Does anyone here live in Canada? If so where do you get your pipe tobacco?

My old man wanted to get back into pipe smoking because he quit before I was born. He ordered $50 worth of tobacco and the shipping alone came out to an added $100.
>>
File: 4810777594_ae20ce6d6d_m[1].jpg (14KB, 159x240px) Image search: [Google]
4810777594_ae20ce6d6d_m[1].jpg
14KB, 159x240px
>>827330
>Weed smoking degenerates stay in your own thread.

ITT: A man picks up a hobby to fulfill his bloated self-image.

Nice hat
>>
>>829426

Hmm, let's take a look at this:

>And a pile of sawdust makes a fucking awful start to a fire, it just chars over and goes out because it's so fine.

The principle behind a friction fire is that you build a big pile of what is essentially sawdust and heat it until an ember forms, at which point it smolders waiting to be blown into a fire. You're assuming that there aren't any dead leaves/sticks/grass or wind, for that matter.

>There's nothing better than enjoying a nice cigar while listening to nature.

Or just sitting there is also fine. You could also practice woodcarving, repair your gear, enjoy a delicious piece of fruit, sketch the wildlife, read a book or simply take a shit.

>Go sit down, adults are talking.
Immediately discredits any argument you've previously made by making you sound like a total d-bag.

Man I'd hate to go hiking with you guys.
>>
>>831831

I enjoy a nice stretch or maybe a blowjob.
>>
>>832183
>The principle behind a friction fire
Friction fire is also one of the worst and hardest methods of actually starting a fire and the "sawdust" only creates an ember that must then very quickly be placed on char cloth or an incredibly fine nest of fibers that will actually do the burning to start the real fire.

>You're assuming that there aren't any dead leaves/sticks/grass or wind, for that matter.
And again we go back to
>>829426
>I can and have had to pick it up seconds after it falls off the cigar and it's not hot at all.The part that's actually burning stays on the cigar.
I've only ever once had a proper ember fall off along with the ash and it was out before it even hit the tray. Cigars don't really burn on their own, if not given a good supply of air (ie, you puffing on it) they will quickly go out on their own after a couple minutes because of how tightly they're rolled.

>Or just sitting there is also fine. You could also practice woodcarving, repair your gear, enjoy a delicious piece of fruit, sketch the wildlife, read a book or simply take a shit.
>opinions and opinions
If you don't want to smoke, I don't care. That post was mostly about the absurdity of a cigar being a major fire risk. I'd say it might depend on the location since I live at high altitudes with lower oxygen but at the same time our climate is far drier than say, the east coast so I'm guessing the overall danger is evened out between that. But your gas stove or campfire is a far greater risk than any cigar. Hell, the lighter/match I use to light the cigar has an exponentially greater chance of causing a forest fire than the cigar itself.

>anon says something retarded that shows he has no knowledge of the subject
>calling him out on this is being a douche bag
Is this your first day on 4chan?
>>
>>832171
I don't know when this happened but I don't think it should cost that much if you order online nowadays. I use the same site >>827351
mentioned, but I don't know what their shipping policies are for canada. But $100 extra dollars seems like a lot.
>>
>>831506
Dont you just love those little dicked queers

disgusting toxic cigar smoke and they try to get snooty and faggoty about patrician cannabis users.
>>
>>832171
4noggins.com ships to Canada under "candle" supplies.
>>
I would like to smoke a pipe innawoods , im a cigarette smoker have been for while. I know why people don't think smoking is good but idk why people come to a smoking related thread just to say they don't like it
>>
>>833597
Because they want to be "her-der giving yourself cancer 2016, dude weed lmao" idiots.

If you are a cigarette smoker get a Missouri Meershacum con to start and some blends like Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, Big'N'Burley. These blends are quality burley (most American cigarettes use cheap burley) and have a good nic hit. They are also inexpensive since they come in bulk.
>>
I was thinking of making a thread like this myself. Got two questions mainly,

Does anyone here prepare their own tobacco? I'm thinking of making my own from raw tobacco to avoid taxes and chemicals. Could use some tips, though I guess /diy/ might be a better bet.

Secondly, is there any point in getting a churchwarden? They seem really comfy but also kind of impractical. And I assume I'll look like a faggot smoking one so any benefits had better be worth it.
>>
>>834405
It's a bit of a cooler smoke and less likely to bite. I have one i smoke on occasion, you will need extra long pipe cleaners to clean in though
>>
>>834405
Normal pipes tongue bite like a mother fucker unless you use filters, churchwardens help negate that. You don't need to get some huge 2 foot long one though.
>>
>>834405
I grow tobacco occasionally as a hobby, but I still buy pipe tobacco since I don't grow a lot of it. In any case, tobacco is relatively easy to care for, you do have to be aware that tobacco exhausts the soil, so you're going to want to do a bit of crop rotation if you want to make sure you can grow things in your garden again. When it comes time to harvest tobacco, you'll probably want to cure it a bit, as it will improve the smell and the flavor. This old dude has a pretty decent set up: http://www.coffinails.com/curing_tobacco.html
It's not going to really save you a lot of money in the short term, but it's fun to do.

As for churchwardens, they reduce tongue bite a bit by allowing the smoke to cool a bit as it travels up the stem, but tongue bite is usually just a result of smoking your pipe too fast and getting it too hot.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 1280x1280px
>>834599
>>834519
>tongue bite
I have the perfect solution
>>
>>834601
A prostate tickler doesn't help with tongue bite, I've tried.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 318x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 318x640px
>>834622
Have you tried the vase?
>>
File: IMG_20160719_183643747_HDR.jpg (5MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160719_183643747_HDR.jpg
5MB, 3120x4160px
>>827330
Look into Missouri Meerschaum pipes or the cheaper Rossi pipes if you want briar.
>>
This thread sparked my interest

Are there any dutchfags or other Europeans who are willing to give someone who wants to pick up pipesmoking advise?

This looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>827330
>Cigars are too hard to store in a backpack
k. well if you can't figure out how to fit cigars into your pack you may be functionally retarded and this doesn't bode well.

I do take a pipe sometimes. nice thing is the flavours you can bring a few to suit your mood. It's pretty harsh on your mouth if you like to smoke a lot but it's okay for just a bit of a puff at the end of the day. I sometimes blend. I ended up making a pipe from one of these carving kits and it worked out fine. It's a bit of a project though unless you are already a good woodworker. I would buy something middle of the road in quality. get one of those pipe multitools, and get some fairly light and decent tobacco to start out with. Go to a tobacco shop that has their own tobacco and ask them to help you find some kinds you'd probably like.
>>
>>832171
I go to a tobacco shop that has it in bins. As long as you're not in a small town it shouldn't be too hard to find a place.
>>
>>836038
what mat is that you have everything laid on?

looks comfy af
>>
>>827330
i love pipe smoking. Satisfies your need for tobacco and tastes 10x as nice. Really calming and feels a lot better than just smoking a cigarette
>>
File: 1014.jpg (256KB, 650x698px) Image search: [Google]
1014.jpg
256KB, 650x698px
>>837381
It's the bundeswehr sleeping mat. I picked it up on Varusteleka. It's a bit thin for sleeping on but it's perfect for relaxing on while out and as a bonus it is designed to fold up and fit into the back of the German mountain ruck as a frame.
>>
>>837524
thankyou very much, looks perfect for my needs.
>>
>>836038
>Storm of Steel
Nice choice, anon
>>
>>831831
fellow vermontfag here
>>
>>837524
>It's a bit thin for sleeping
That's ok, none of the things you get for sleeping will let you sleep, especially not if it is cold.
>>
>>827404
>>827330

Buy some dry cured cigarillos instead, so you don't have to worry about moisture. I suggest the "danneman" brand.
>>
File: cigars-pipes.jpg (20KB, 350x232px) Image search: [Google]
cigars-pipes.jpg
20KB, 350x232px
All these people saying they don't inhale cigar smoke. I do and I enjoy the nice buzz I get from it. Although I don't smoke cigars very often. I'm sure its bad as shit for my lungs. But smoking a pipe sounds nice and guess what. I would inhale. All these non-inhale fags in here are missing the boat. Is it fucking bad for you probably so but so is Mc Donalds and a host of other things. Moderation is key.
>>
>>832178

Came into the thread to say exactly this.
>>
>>840918
A cigar has about as much nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes. That's a big reason you don't inhale.
It's like hitting a hookah like a bong
>>
>>840918
>All these non-inhale fags in here are missing the boat.
We don't inhale because most of us don't smoke cigs and doing so with a cigar would literally make us puke on the spot.
>>
>>840918
>trying to be a badass on an anonymous image board

People that smoke pipes smoke it for the flavour, not for the buzz
>>
>>840918
>but so is Mc Donalds
That's why when I go to McD's, I just lick the food to get the flavor and don't eat it. I don't inhale when I smoke pipes either.
>>
>>827330
Get a travel humidor.

https://www.amazon.com/Xikar-Cigar-Travel-Carrying-Count/dp/B001CZF1ZG/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471968532&sr=1-6&keywords=travel+humidor

As stated before, smoking a pipe does actually take practice, and pipe tobacco is a little different than cigars. Albeit, the pipe can be a little more compact, but there are solutions for both.
>>
File: sam-elliot-2-600.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
sam-elliot-2-600.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
>>827330
>Make a bush pipe
>Smoke a handfull of dirt and leaves
Dont be a vagina.
>>
>>827351
TL;DR: pipe is an enjoyable thing innawoods and out. Rollies are an economic smoke as well. A pouch of pipe tobacco, and a pouch of rolling (cigarette) tobacco will take you a long way. It also has medicinal value.
>>
>>843760
This,
I learned pipe with pine needles. Sure as hell taught me to NOT inhale.
>>
>>843992
>Take you a long way?

You fuckin what? I get a 50g pouch of port royal baccy every 3 days. It turns to dust after any longer than 3 days due to lack of any good seal in the packaging. Rolling tobacco goes as fast as the rest of them once you get good.
>>
>>844034
>It turns to dust after any longer than 3 days due to lack of any good seal in the packaging.

Get a better brand.
>>
>>844034
>get a 50g pouch of port royal baccy every 3 days. It turns to dust after any longer than 3 days
So put it in a different package like a ziploc you dumb shit.
>>
>>840918
I don't inhale cigar or pipe smoke because it's simply harsh. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore so my throat isn't accustomed to smoke. I get plenty enough buzz from the nicotine absorption in just my mouth.
>>
Where do you people usually leave your cigarbutts?
A special pocket in your backpack?
>>
>>846674
If I have a fire going, I pull it open a bit and toss it in. If not, I break it apart really well and scatter it after making sure it's out. They're literally just dried leaves so they decompose fairly quickly.
>>
>>843739
That's funny, I came to the thread with the intent of posting the very same brand of travel humidor.
I've seen Xikar travel humidors in sizes that will fit 5, 10 or 15 cigars.

If you're averse to spending the money on a humidor, you can also get humidity packets which you can just stick in a jar together with your cigars. How good it is for long-term storage, I won't speculate to, but the packets I can get at my store of choice are supposed to last for a whole year. My brother stores his cigars that way - about 5 cigars in a large mason jar with a humidity pack taped to the inside of the lid. However, he goes through them in about 2 months' time, so I do not know how well it would work to store them longer than that.
>>
>>844034
>Not using a ziplock or an actual tobacco pouch
>>
>>827404
Up to you, but pipes smoke much different than cigars and have a learning curve. For starters, you smoke them MUCH slower and more gently than cigars, and properly filling your pipe is a skill all its own that takes practice.

If you DO go that route, start with a corncob pipe. The Legend from Missouri Meerschaum is a great pipe to start on. They're available at drugstores nationwide for about $7, have a free draw that makes them smoke wonderfully, and come with commonly available Medico filters (if you care about such things-just throw the filter away if you don't). The first bowl will taste weird at the end of it when the wooden stem in the bowl chars a bit (this is a necessary step), but the smoking quality improves dramatically after that. Once broken in, they are easily a match for briar pipes costing 10 times the price.
Best of all, they are /out/-friendly. If one gets waterlogged just set it out in the sun to dry, and if it gets lost, burnt out or broken, you're only out $7 and a replacement is only a drugstore away.
As for a first tobacco to start with, Carter Hall is a classic American blend, tastes good, lights easily and is also available at most drugstores for about $5 per pouch. Carter Hall and a cob pipe is also a classic combination that just works very well for easy, trouble-free smokes.
>>
>>827330

I smoke a pipe even when not innawoods and just enjoy it. Mine's a long-stemmed piece of shit I got for $20 because my old one was misplaced by a friend and that made me pretty mad. One day we'll find it. Hopefully.

I'm a simple guy when it comes to tobacco though. I've had Dunhill and enjoyed it, but I mostly smoke Sir Walter Raleigh because it's available here. I smoked earlier and I usually smoke once a day at night. Used to go out every night with my old doggo and she'd sit on the deck with me and just sniff stuff whilst I smoked in a rocking chair like an old man. Training my new dog to be calm and everything while I'm out there, but she's still a puppy so you know.
>>
>>830422
>strawmanning this hard
>strawmanning someone that's not here
>>
>>827330
You should chill on the degenerate bullshit. You don't see stoners going around calling you a cancerous faggot for puffing your death sticks.
>>
>>830422
>pipe tobacco is non addictive
>things that were never said, the post
>>
>>846906
Spotted the degenerate
>>
>>846906
>You don't see stoners going around calling you a cancerous faggot for puffing your death sticks.
You don't talk to many stoners, do you?
>>
>>837155
lay off, we don't know how many dildos he stuff in it
>>
>>830422
>probably trying to sound clever and elitist, but ended up sounding like an idiot douche: the post
>>
>>830360
Resin goes rancid quickly and wooden pipes can't really get all the way clean, so there's always a little bit of oil in it that makes it smell like what was smoked in it before.
Pipe smokers call this effect ghosting, and it's an undesirable thing no matter what they smoke, but especially when you get all the foul stink of weed without getting high.
>>
>>830364
>2016
>not knowing a strawman argument is a logical fallacy
>being this retarded
HAHAHAHAHA wtf
>>
>>846906
>You don't see stoners going around calling you a cancerous faggot for puffing your death sticks.
Maybe you should read through the thread.
>>
>>846927
kek
>>846936
I like to smoke alone and then study or listen to music
>>847054
Nope, guess that makes me pretty presumptuous
>>
>>846936
Kek. This. Those fuckers think they are all enlightened and the smartest people ever while they sit around eating Funions waiting for their shift to start at McDonald's.

Just watch the South Park episode with the hippie jam fest.
>>
I don't, but my friend carves his own pipes and uses those often. He rarely smokes tobacco, mostly salvia (no, not the kind that makes you hallucinate) and other plants that he says relaxes him.
>>
>>827418
Some people do inhale. Every 3rd puff I usually inhale, but I am a pack and a half a day smoker, so I'm already sucking deaths dick.

Don't pick of cigarettes kids.
>>
>>830363
I used to have an awesome antler pipe when I was a stoner. Easy as glass to clean but way more durable. I'm also partial to stone.
>>
>>846721
I have the one I posted and two others with the same design that are meant for 15 cigars each. They have the foam removed and were used for pipe tobacco on my last deployment. Now I keep my pipe with me in a pouch with everything I need to smoke in it.
>>
>>847784
>Don't pick of cigarettes kids
+1, or something like that. What a shitty habit. I wish I never started and now I'm just too lazy to quit. Do heroin instead, at least you get some enjoyment out of it.

>>847789
>>830363
In the years I was a pothead, I never broke or lost single piece of glass. I would always loan it to somebody and they would break it or lose it or get it taken away.
>>
>>847959
>I wish I never started and now I'm just too lazy to quit
>I never broke or lost single piece of glass

Just be honest, it's an anonymous board.

You love cigarettes and the oral fixation, you love round objects in your mouth and have little to no self discipline/control to stop yourself from doing something that you are clearly aware is killing you at an unnecessary rate. At least roll your own cigarettes and spray insecticide so you get 'muh menthol' flavor I know you love.

A self named 'pothead' that has never broken any glass, you are either 17 years old or your you live in a gymnastics facility with foam floors, or lying.
>>
File: 1464042278134.jpg (69KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
1464042278134.jpg
69KB, 498x482px
>>847974

>little to no self discipline/control to stop
Yes, that most likely what he meant by lazy. Breaking addictions is hard, that's why they're addictions.

>you are either 17 years old or your you live in a gymnastics facility with foam floors, or lying.
>I'm a little shit that can't take care of things which means no one else can either
I know Pepsi is a faggot, but you're projecting awfully hard here.
>>
>>827418
Well, you're not "supposed to" inhale the smoke at any rate, because they're generally much harsher tobaccos than are used in cigarettes. But people certainly do, as noted here >>847784

That said, most of the time when people DO inhale, it's a carryover from a previous cigarette habit. Very few smokers inhale when they start with a pipe.
>>
>>847980
I'm aware, I mentioned most of that later myself. It is kind of funny when we get an 18 year old into the cigar shop and they hit it like a fucking vape pen or something. You can almost see them turn green.
>>
>>827359
literally vaping

pipes are fine if you don't look like a total nu-male
>>
>>827330
TT is dildos. Yes OP, smoking a pipe is pleasant innawoods, very relaxing around the fire (or in the absence of one if you're in a restricted area). A decent pipe will run you ~$30, and likely last you the rest of your life, unless one of your dickhead drunken m8s steps on it and breaks the stem like mine (easily replaceable, just haven't gotten around to it yet). Go to the tobbac and find a blend you like, and order or make a leather pouch. You be set.
>>
>>847974
Not that guy, but it's obvious you're not a smoker and never have been one. When you're on the outside looking in at an addiction like cigarettes it's easy to say "You have no discipline!" It's a difficult habit to kick and typically takes multiple attempts. And by "smoker" I mean someone who gets nicotine cravings and has withdrawls.
>>
File: corn cob pipe.jpg (47KB, 864x277px) Image search: [Google]
corn cob pipe.jpg
47KB, 864x277px
>>827330
Just do yourself a favor and get a corn cob pipe.

For a couple of reasons:
They are cheap and you wont cry if you break one. They can give a good smoke even when being cheap. They dont require a lot of care but learning to take care of pipes in general will make them more long lasting and will give a tasty smoke everytime.

They are more robust to drops (unlike real merschaum or clay or stone) briar is good and robust but more expensive.
And to be honest they feel more adequate for american expedition the likes of Huckleberry Finn.

I assume you are new to pipe smoking so get besides the pipe the basics:
The pipe tool.
A good starting tobacco (any pipe tobacco that is mild or light, virginia tobacco a good starter or get anything that smells to you really tasty.
wood matches, gasoline ligther, or when near campfire grab a thin stick and fire away.
pipe cleaners (use them for their real purpose, that is cleaning a pipe)
alcohol.

Pic related: my selfmade Popeye mouthpiece.
>>
>>848104
Seconding the cob pipe. For $5 you can get a professionally-made pipe that smokes great and is light in your pack but won't make you cry if you drop or step on it.
For those who like the taste of cigars, look online for pipe tobacco blends that use cigar leaf. It won't be quite the same, but it's as close as you can get in a pipe. For other excellent tasting blends, look at the many excellent offerings from Mac Baren, Dunhill, Samuel Gawith, Davidoff, Peterson, Drew Estate, Orlik, CAO and others.
>>
File: licorice-root.jpg (56KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
licorice-root.jpg
56KB, 424x283px
Not really the same as tobacco, but I like to chew on liquorice root while /out/
>>
>>847978
Incorrect but sure, I wish I saved a collection of anime pics to respond to you with but I am not what you are projecting me to be

>>848001
I am currently, so take that for what it's worth but I do not care to 'show off' my accessories to ~prove to this Moroccan card trading forum that I smoke

I added my comment to Pepsi for his self depreciating ass to be motivated and take responsibility for his poor judgement and improve himself. The only issue is that I forgot most of the posters are shut-in/low self-esteem/little to no confidence people who have met only a handful of people in real life

He is not addicted, he is just not someone that improves themselves. No excuse

Also my gf smoker of maybe 8 years, stopped cold turkey cigarette smoking from 2 packs a day to 0; that was 9 years ago. So about that 'addiction' tell yourself all you want that you CANNOT beat addiction, but recognize you are a weak human (mentally and likely physically since that requires effort too) and THAT is the reason you do nothing about the situation

Curious to know if Pepsi is from the islands/carribean
On the topic; pipe smoking is great. Inhale/not inhale is preference, but if you really want to inhale tobacco/nicotine; roll your own cigs out of quality tobacco not that processed shit. Pipe smoking, get a Briar pipe for quality and they are not too expensive unless you are solely focused on grain look, Corn cob for outdoor excursions. Get Mason jars to store your opened pouches and tins if you keep the opened tobacco for more than a month~, sterilize them first though; not necessary but removes problem variables

English blends taste great, I think someone else recommended Dunhill; great recommendation. Elizabethan Mix and 965 are top picks but cannot go wrong with anything Dunhill

Check out boswellpipes.com for quality tobacco from father/son shop, most if not all taste amazing but they specialize in aromatics

Pipesandcigars.com
Tobaccoreviews.com

Good luck
>>
>>848150
To add, I expect flak, I do not sugar coat information like most of you require nowadays

Learn self-responsibility, it will help you further down your life
>>
File: image.jpg (262KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262KB, 450x450px
>>848150
>Dunhill 965
My nigga
Got some Royal Yacht right now. Tasty as fuck but it will knock you on your ass. I get dizzy if I smoke a full bowl of it in a large pipe.
>>
>>848150
Your strawman argument has no standing here. The average smoker attempts to quit ~15 times before success. I smoke pipes and cigars, but I can pick up a pack of Marlboro reds and pick up right where I left off. I am permanently a smoker, but I choose not to smoke cigarettes. It is NOT the same experience for everyone either.
>>
>>848528
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that; never had a bad Dunhill tin and hopefully never will!

>>848572
You do not want to hear the opposite end of the argument

Is there a source on ~15 times before success aside from tumblr or some article that has a dog in the fight to push patches/gum

Accept what you want, but people are capable of more than they tell themselves; never met anyone who this did not apply to

We live different lives, I influence people in a positive manner because you are capable of anything, plenty of people are perfectly fine with accepting defeat

Your argument is specific to tobacco/nicotine, but look at the bigger picture. You are stating that because SOME people have issues quitting that only a chosen few can quit cold turkey or have enough motivation/drive to commit to a decision to quit doing something they do not like doing

That is wrong, everyone has the potential to; it is only when people like yourself and others fill those who are trying with doubts/pessimistic comments because you personally have no motivation/drive to do such. That is called projection, you could say the same for what I am saying; maybe it is, but most people I have met that are low self-esteem/confidence would fall into your category until someone picks them up and shows them another way

I do my best to help/build people up and let them realize their potential, show them they are capable, show them there are things they can do in this life that will benefit them short/long term and will make them a better person for doing so

Is that not a major reason why we go outdoors?

I feel empathy for those being drowned by negative nancies such as yourself, it is beyond depressing to believe you do not have the strength to do something such as quit smoking because some boogeyman on the internet said it's harder than climbing K2 in a bathing suit and fins

What do you gain by telling people they are not capable of doing something that many have done before?
>>
>>848528
Want to mention I have been trying to mix my own blend similar to Dunhill 965, getting closer but the turkish/oriental seems to be different than what I get from pipesandcigars.com. It's killing me, I have the ingredients close to what I feel is similar to 965 but something is missing or wrong. If I can blend the 965 properly, $$, it is often out of stock in bulk amount from websites I visit and short of ordering a good amount of tins I see this as another option for cost efficiency

Thanks to /out/ homegrowmen thread I am motivated to plant my own tobacco in the next few months and hopefully can make my own blends from the ground up

Also McClelland Frogmorton (Cellar is my favorite) is definitely worth a mention if you like Dunhill 965 or even Virginia with a whiskey flavor

I have been stuffing the whiskey blocks that come with Frogmorton Cellar into jars of other blends to infuse~ whiskey flavor into them, will check on those after a year or so to see how it works
>>
>>830684
be aware that if you don't have a predisposition to lung cancer, even smoking won't cause it. it's not healthy, but it's not that bad for most people

I bet you believed everything they told you in school
>>
I kind of want to get a pipe. Ill smoke a few cigs or cigarillos with the boys once every couple of months ( it averages out to about 1/month) but i hate regular cigars. Is it worth it to try pipe tobacco?

Also is there anything else you can smoke out of them? no weed for me because of my job but surely people smoke more stuff than just tobacco and weed
>>
>>848731
Just get some Black & Milds.
>>
>>827400
well, as someone in their 40's I can tell you that once you are 40, you wont want to die in your 40s
>>
>>848731
If you want to inhale and portability without learning new ~skills, >>848734 has it right

If you want to try pipe tobacco, there are plenty of starter kits you can buy that include everything you need

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/search/?q=starter

If you had to ask for a recommendation on that page, I would suggest the link below

There is a big distinction between Aromatic tobacco and Non-Aromatic tobacco, I personally find non-aromatic to taste better; whereas Aromatic smells better (room note)

It's a lot of opinion and preference finding "good" tobaccos but Dunhill tobacco would be a solid recommendation to anyone interested in pipe tobacco

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/89521/back-by-popular-demand-sampler/#p-172941

You will hear from others often that smoking pipe tobacco is more of a ritual than just to get a buzz/nicotine; you ideally should have a lighter/matches, Czech tool or other Tamper/Poker, pipe cleaners, a pipe, and some tobacco

With that being said there is a little learning curve involved with pipe tobacco but it is nothing that is so difficult one cannot figure out, patience is the most important skill in this

Google/Youtube for how to smoke pipe tobacco if you are curious, patience with smoking is vital and even more with a brand new pipe with or without carbon coating

With that said, I used to buy Black and Milds by the 100 at Sam's Club every 1-2 months, had I known as much about pipe tobacco as I do now; that money would have been spent on pipe tobacco

There is also the aspect of cellaring your pipe tobacco similar to wine, the aging works wonders on certain tobaccos

For a cheaper suggestion to get into pipe tobacco, Borkum is nice tobacco but having more options helps to form your opinion; Borkum could be too harsh starting out

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/79967/pipes-and-cigars-intro-sampler/#p-146881

Learn about tongue bite, you will likely have discomfort at first but research and patience will help
>>
>>848776
Seconded.
You get a taste of life not being quite so shitty and want to see more of this not-so-shitty life stuff.
Or if you have kids, they start giving flashes of not quite being hopeless leeches sucking your whole life dry and you want to see if you can hang on until they can leave your life for fucking good so maybe you can finally have nice things.
>>
>>829423
Someone swims for like an hour max. People can be out for days. Your analogies are Shit mate.
>>
>>848607
It's far more difficult to quit smoking when you love it every time you light up. I never said quitting is not possible and I never said anyone wasn't capable.
>>
File: 20160831_120541.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160831_120541.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
What I keep in my bag.
>>
>>849161
You give the perfectly healthy a crutch that they may rest on. You also change your stance as you recognize your faults.

Just accept that you are a pessimist and are happy to tell others that they can try, but it will be too damn difficult they might as well just accept defeat.

Do not instill your lack of ability/confidence/responsibility onto others who are perfectly capable of doing what they wish.
>>
what do you guys think tastes better in general, pipe tobacco or a cigar?
>>
>>849400
You might not taste it at all. I can't. Though I'm pretty sure it's a medical thing I should go get checked out on...

That said, I think pipe is supposed to be more flavorful because it's usually aromatic. Don't try flavored cigars though, they're awful.
>>
>>849409
so if i was to get into one, would you recommend pipe?
>>
>>849434
I prefer cigars. Pipes are a bit too finicky for me and they give me really bad tongue bite. Honestly just try both. Unless you're an absolute poorfag, a decent cigar is like $5-10 and a pipe is $7 for a corncob, another $10 for the tobacco, a buck or two for the pipe tool and then just a box of matches or a lighter.
>>
>>849440
Tongue bite (from my experience) is normally due to wet, aromatic tobacco. Properly dried blends that aren't topped or cased with shit seem to as be as present as a cigar.
>>
>>849434
Peterson system, a non aromatic blend (like Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture), a mason jar to decant yer w33d in, zippo with a pipe insert, and a fuck ton of cleaners should get you started.
>>
>>849440
how long does that $10 of tobacco usualy last a normal person? I'm aware that it relies heavily on how often you use it, but lets say if the person used it once a week
>>
>>849457
50g tin will last you way over a month if you only smoked once a week.
>>
>>849457
>say if the person used it once a week
Fucking ages.
>>
>>849460
>>849465
sounds pretty sweet dudes. im a cheap ass when it comes to consumed stuff, so that 1 month+ compared to one day of cigar sounds pretty damn good
>>
>>827330
Cigars are GOAT. Fuck pipes.

>Too expensive

I guess if you're fucking poor.
>>
>>849332
No, you're the one who's changed your stance.
You started with:
>>847974
>You love cigarettes and the oral fixation, you love round objects in your mouth and have little to no self discipline/control to stop yourself from doing something that you are clearly aware is killing you

And you've changed to:

>>848150
>Also my gf smoker of maybe 8 years, stopped cold turkey cigarette smoking from 2 packs a day to 0; that was 9 years ago
>>
>>829423
Because if I'm sitting around staring at a campfire or reading a book it's nice to smoke a good cigar.
>>
>>846674
I burn it or just leave it in nature. It's a fucking leaf, it will biodegrade in no time.
>>
>>849434
Pipe has more initial cost, but less cost to maintain, provided you don't buy bunches of pipes or tobaccos all at once.
A good premium cigar starts at about $5 per stick if you buy in bulk, or $8 if in ones or twos.
Meanwhile, an inexpensive quality cob pipe costs $7, cheap drugstore pipe tobacco about $5 (better stuff starts at $10), a pipe nail costs about $2, and pipe cleaners are $2 for a pack of 50 (which is good for about 7 regular cleanings).

So it's roughly comparable. For the price of 2 decent cigars at the corner shop, you can get a basic setup for pipe smoking at the corner shop, and either will stand you in good stead.

As with everything if you want to spend more on either you certainly can, but it's not really necessary for a good experience. Some of my best cigar smokes have come from a $7 Fuente 858, and some of my best pipe smokes have come from a $7 corncob with tobacco from a $5 drugstore pouch stuffed into it. Learn to pack and smoke a pipe properly and you'll be amazed at how nice of an experience it can be.

>>849442
True, though tongue bite can also come from puffing the pipe too rapidly; taking draws that are too big or fast; and exhaling back down the pipe inadvertently, causing the moisture in your breath to collect at the bottom of the bowl. All of those make for a very hot and wet smoke that bites the tongue.

>>849457
A medium sized pipe bowl holds about 2-3 grams of tobacco, so that's about 15-20 smokes or more, depending on how big your pipe is and how tight you fill it.

>>849519
Pipe tobaccos also taste better IMO. A budget pipe tobacco tastes way better than budget cigars do, and the good stuff is miles ahead of all but the very best cigars in the world.
>>
>>849541
You really should bury it or pack it out.
>>
>>849443
>>849547
All of this is good advice

I do not see anyone talking about resting the pipe, this is important if you have a wood/Briar pipe so that you do not kill the pipe or the taste due to overuse

I have consistently seen let Briar sit for at least 24 hours after using, this is all relative but if you have multiple pipes this becomes less of an issue

Long term you likely might end up dedicating specific pipes to distinct blends

Meerschaum pipe do not require resting and also requires cleaning often to avoid forming cake, although you would probably be best to start with a cheaper Briar pipe or Corn Cob
>>
how quickly can i carve/ make a pipe?
always wanted to do it but we never had spare wood that wasnt treated pine.
now we have some slabs so i think i could get an offcut
what do i need to keep in mind when making it? Should i do two pieces and slot them together or do an ol gandalf pipe if i can manage
>>
>>849587
Resting is overrated.
People can-and have-gotten along just fine for long periods with just one pipe without incident. Yes there are some advantages, but the primary one is to the pipe manufacturer.
All a pipe really needs is to be cool before you take it apart to clean it. That happens in 5 minutes, or 15 if you REALLY want to be paranoid. Any humidity problems can be solved with a pipe cleaner up the stem, even while you're smoking the pipe if you need to.
>>
File: 20160901_083211.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160901_083211.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>849192
Can anyone tell me about the three smaller pipes? The top is a savinelli I bought. The the before were my grand father's, but they have a metal insert. Is this a sign that they're cheap or good quality?

From bottom to top
"Yellow bole"
"Bentley"
"Brewster"
>>
File: 20160901_083121.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160901_083121.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>849669
>>
>>849669
>>849670
The metal inserts are called "stingers" and were more fashionable back when people smoked more, and more regularly. The moisture in the tobacco and your breath would condense on the metal tip and drip back into the stem, keeping it out of your mouth. The tradeoff is that it tends to make those pipes gurgle a bit, and the smaller diameter draft holes don't smoke quite as easily as a bigger diameter plain hole. But they're still quite serviceable, and not sucking a bunch of hot liquid awfulness into your mouth is a good thing overall.
They used to be a mark of quality, showing that the pipe maker was concerned about giving the consumer a quality smoking experience. Nowadays the little metal bits are expensive to make and have fallen out of fashion. With the steep decline in pipe smoking over the years, the people who want pipes with stingers in them can just go on eBay and get a pipe for less money than it costs to make one new.

As for the brands, it sounds like your grandfather was thrifty, but knew a good pipe when he saw one.

Yello Bole is owned by US pipe maker Kaywoodie. They're a good quality mid-line brand. Back in the day their innovation was to put a light coating of honey on the inside of the bowl, which would char with the first lighting and start the all-important process of building a cake in the pipe.

Bentley is a budget line of Kaywoodie.

Brewster is a line of pipes made by one of the big Italian brands for the US market. Since pipes like them are usually found in a large bin in pipe shops, they're commonly called "basket pipes." They're usually factory seconds that still smoke well but have some sort of flaw that keeps them from being sold under the big name for hundreds of dollars each. I have a no-name pipe that I just discovered was made by Savinelli. The outside of the bowl has a small flat spot, but it smokes fantastic. If what you care about is smoking quality and not collectibility, they're the way to go.
>>
>>849695
>grandfather was thrifty
Hit the nail right on the head. He spent his childhood during the depression (born 3/28/27)
>>
>>849617
Sounds like you know about grains if you cared what wood it would be, so don't forget to keep those lined up, you don't want the piece getting wet and then cracking or chipping from a grain splitting
>>
>>849617
I'd do two pieces so it's easier to take apart and clean. A pipe that's full of tar and shit is a pipe that tastes fucking awful. Plus if you wanted to do a Churchwarden (the shape name for a Gandalf pipe), all you'd need to do is cut a longer stem and keep the bowl the shape you wanted.
Pipes themselves are not that hard to make on the outside. A lathe would help immensely, but you can make one with hand tools if you really want.
The biggest issue will be drilling the pipe so it smokes good. To do that, pay attention to the diameters of your drillings and where they meet. Most pipes have bowls that are between 5/8-7/8" (15-22mm) in diameter, from 1" to 1-1/2" (25-35mm) deep, and have a rounded bottom to the hole. The draft hole on most easy smoking pipes is about 5/32" (4mm) and ideally meets the bottom of the bowl at dead center for optimal burn characteristics. You'll also want a mortise and tenon joint to fit your mouthpiece.
Anyway, if you do this, you've got a lot of decisions to make as far as shapes, angles and whatnot. Here's a good guide to the various popular shapes of pipes and what they look like.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/a-complete-guide-to-tobacco-pipe-shapes-almost/
>>
>>849695
...and I just learned that Brewster was made by Rossi, one of the biggest pipe makers in the world. So your grandfather had quite good taste in pipes, even if he had to keep his budget under wraps.

I'd wipe the outsides with a damp paper towel to get the crud off of them and then smoke them when you get the chance. You might be surprised how well they do, especially with flavored tobaccos.
>>
>>827330
I'm a pipe smoker, it's too much trouble for anything more than a park. Get a hard plastic cigar case, I have one that holds 3, one that holds 8 and a tube, they all work great, the first two also have a sponge you can soak to keep the stogeys for a few days.

You'll be struggling to get a good light with even the lightest breeze and a torch will just fuck your pipe up.

>>843992
Don't fool yourself, any medicinal value tobacco may have is completely outweighed by the fact that your just huffing CO and carcinogens. It's purely for enjoyment or if your addicted.

>>827351
Definitely get a corncob first, you can usually find em for 5 bucks. I doubt you would ruin your first pipe if you bought a briar one but you would spend a good bit more with the possibility that you don't like it.

My tobacco suggestions are almost any Dunhill or Davidoff tin, I have yet to have one I did not like. If you see a tin called Presbyterian, MY GOD, get that one but be aware, it has strong and even a bit harsh; it is damn good but can be a tough smoke.

If you want something mild or want to make your living room smell like your trying to bake cookies on an open fire, buy some bulk aromatic blends.
>>
>>850066
>trying to bake cookies on an open fire
You're the reason I wanna pick up pipe smoking.
>>
>>849556
>You really should bury it or pack it out.
Fucking why?
>bury it
Causes infinitely more disturbance to the environment than what is literally a couple leaves rolled together.
>pack it out
Why, so you can throw away something that's completely biodegradable thus filling a landfill a little more than necessary?

You're the type of guy that bitches about fruit cores and shit being tossed in the forest, aren't you?
>>
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/problem-of-many/
>>
>>827330
I have a pipe that I plan to take on my next hike for an afternoon smoke. I like Dunhill Nightcap and this blend called Scotty's Stonewall that I'll bring.

Go to www.pipesandcigars.com . You can get some decent samplers, sometimes with a pipe included, to see what you like. Also good deals on decent pipes for the occasional smoker, and nicer ones if you get serious. I would go with a normal pipe instead of a churchwarden which would take up lots of space and be more breakable.

I think it'll be a nice way to spend the evening. Set up camp, stretch, dinner, then have some tea and a pipe as night sets.

Just be careful to scrape a little dirt spot to dump your ash and spit or dribble water on it. Don't take chances with fires. But you know that already.
>>
>>830364
I can smoke a pipe a day for a week or two and then drop it for months without a care in the world, or have a pipe every couple of days or twice a week for weeks on end.

The only nicotine you get from a pipe is whatever miniscule amount gets through your mucous membranes and that hardly compares to inhaling cigarette smoke.

Pipe smoking, especially only done occasionally, carries basically no health risks. Actually pipe smokers on average live longer than non pipe smokers. I looked in to this extensively before trying it.
>>
>>849643
Resting pipes is optional just as anything else in life is, it is advice that can be taken or can be ignored

With that being said, it's better to let them rest

Lack of patience does not go well with pipe tobacco

Take my words as written gospel or look it up yourself and learn

>>850313
Exactly correct, I researched this far too much before seriously considering smoking pipe tobacco and came to the same conclusion

At the very least it would be wise to mention this habit to a dentist and have them check any potential damage that is related to smoking

If you want to be more careful you can swig some water after a bowl or brush your teeth with/without toothpaste; it's all preference

You would be fine to do neither of the above too after a bowl, have to say it's all preference before someone makes the comment "That is completely unnecessary and pointless"

Just had some McClelland Christmas Cheer 2017 and would recommend to anyone who has not tried that before (Tastes like a mildly sweet English but not overpowering; think Dunhill 965 mixed with Frogmorton plus a little sweetness), it is worth noting it is flake tobacco
>>
>>850320
I actually do give myself a rinse after and will usually spit a couple times during a smoke. I need to try some McClelland, I haven't had any of their stuff yet. Might grab that one in this order I'm building.

Tonight I'll have my classic pipe of Nightcap. I actually left the tin in my car so had to rehydrate it, but it came back to life reasonably well.

I think what I like about a pipe is that it gives you something almost culinary to enjoy and focus on, and the ritual of pipe smoking forces you to sit and relax. Helpful for me here at work from time to time. I like to go on the roof and smoke in the evenings.

I was a firefighter for about 7 years from the time I was 18 and I'm still exposed to more diesel smoke than I'd like to be. If I'm getting cancer it's from all that shit.
>>
>>850323
I would recommend Frogmorton Cellar over the Christmas Cheer 2017, but if you could get both that would be best

It all depends on what you prefer, Nightcap is a pretty heavy blend; you might be pleasantly surprised with McClelland if you like that

My favorite hands down will likely always be Dunhill 965, but I'll be damned if Frogmorton Cellar is not testing that always
>>
Not to sound like the biggest pussy on /out/, but has anyone tried smoking things other than tobacco and weed, like perhaps dried tea leaves? Just throwing ideas
>>
>>850563
I had a friend that smoked green tea leaves before, he said it only gave him a headache. He dropped some acid after, so take that for what it's worth.
>>
>>848116
Why would you want the taste of cigars when you can taste delicious aged burley or amazing basma?!?
>>
>>850597
I don't know, but it is in fact a thing now.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/767/mcclelland-dominican-glory-maduro
>>
>>850563
>Not to sound like the biggest pussy on /out/, but...
Too late

Here is where I can properly invoke the wisdom of the ancients. They spent thousands of years and untold generations exploring trying to smoke all sorts of shit we will never even know about, and I'm sure they discovered some stuff that's probably lost now. Even today you'll find a bunch of people in a small corner of he world somewhere that smoke something else, and have for centuries. But the shit that was REALLY good and not too poisonous remained, and has swept the globe-weed and tobacco.
>>
>>850618
>>850563
Right, well there goes my bright ideas
>>
Bump of losing faith
>>
Just stay away from Dagner pipes. Shit pipes from shit people. $14 dollar factory pipes that they charge $150 for.
>>
>>851405
Definitely heard this elsewhere as well, they are meme pipes from what I understand
>>
>>851426
Absolute meme pipes, the pinnacle of memery. They sell socks and patches and beard oil and any kitchy thing you can think of with their logo.
>>
>>851405

>They want $24 for a Missouri Meerschaum made corncob.

Jesus fuck.
>>
File: pipe Meerschaum.jpg (1008KB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
pipe Meerschaum.jpg
1008KB, 3456x2304px
>>827330
>I am thinking about buying a pipe to use while out.

A new pipe needs to be “seasoned” and my procedure is to first prop up the pipe so it won’t tip over and put about 1/4 shot of whisky or rum into the pipe bowl (I use Laphroaig) and let it soak in and evaporate over night. This isn’t necessary but I feel (totally unscientifically) that it helps flavor a Briar pipe but DON'T do this with a Meerschaum pipe, as it will soak into the pipe.

The next day when it's dry, use your pinky finger to smear a very thin film of honey all around the inside of the bowl, then _lightly_ pack it and and smoke it. This step IS mandatory for all pipes.

Afterwards, use your finger to remove any largish bits of burned tobacco but DO NOT scrape the bowl, the sugar in the honey will have turned to carbon that will preserve and protect the pipe bowl from getting too hot.

Also, when packing a pipe you want the first pinch of tobacco in the bottom half to be looser packed, with the second pinch on top of that to be packed tighter, otherwise the pipe won’t “draw” very well and you’ll end up with a wet unburnt wad of tobacco in the bottom.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 800x533px
>>851633
....OR, he could just smoke his pipe and the natural sugars in the tobacco leaves will form a cake on their own for him as they are smoked. It'll take a little longer and won't be as consistent in places where he has trouble consistently smoking the ashes down to, but it DOES happen.

THIS is why it was recommended for OP to buy a cob pipe when going /out/. It is not necessary to build an ash cake in a cob, as they already smoke cool and dry as it is, but you certainly can if you want to. They're very forgiving care-wise too. If you get it wet just let it dry in the sun for a day and you're good to go, something that cannot be said for briars. Also, replacement cost is $10 vs 60.

As a note on buying corncob pipes, look for ones with a stem that protrudes well into the bowl, like pic related.
In a cob, the stem actually does double duty keeping the hot ashes off of the bottom of the bowl, preventing the ashes from burning through. Lots of sub-$5 cob pipes don't have this, and as a result burn through in just one or two smokes. With the stem going through the bottom of the bowl, a cob pipe can last for years or even decades. That's where your extra $4 goes, and it's worth it.
>>
This thread is making me curious about pipe smoking. Most people in this thread (and in other places i just looked) compare it to cigar smoking. I don't smoke cigars; in fact, I don't smoke anything. What would the appeal/experience be like for someone that doesn't smoke? Is there a reason to do it? What about taste?
>>
>>851935
2nding this.
>>
>>851935
I was adamantly opposed to tobacco prior to researching pipe tobacco

For myself it is the ritual and ability to slow down to relax. Along with that comes the delicious taste that most tobacco blends can offer (personally I dislike aromatics and favor English/Dark English/Oriental/Latakia/Perique blends)

It has now progressed to the point where I mix my own tobacco blends and try them out. The best way I have heard tobacco analogized would be how it is identical to cooking food/a recipe. You start with a base component then season it according to your own taste buds

If you enjoy making your own food, delicious food at that not TV dinner or frozen crap; there is no way you would not enjoy mixing pipe tobacco. Smoking on the other hand would be personal preference, but you should look up potential health risks AND potential benefits of smoking pipe tobacco. Tobacco has been known to be anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory as well as other things we were not informed about because 'tobacco is wacko' bullshit propaganda (most of which is direct to cigarettes not even cigars as long as no inhale). This does not mean blaze it until your lungs are raisins because as with ANYTHING in this world, moderation is key
>>
>>851978
I probably missed a few but every post I have reaches character limit

If I had to prioritize reasons I smoke pipe tobacco:

>Relaxation (not the smoking itself but the ritual, smoke is nice too though)
>Taste
>Ability to make my own blends/similarities with food recipies
>Little to no additives (unless aromatics, but nowhere near what they put in cigarettes)
>No filters, you can remove most filters that come with pipes but I personally buy ones that do not offer filters and are designed to work without filters
>Blends are available that are low in nicotine, you could go either way here based on preference
>Very cheap when compared to nuggets/cigars/cigarettes/possibly vape tobacco but not interested in so I cannot compare
>Lost talent/skill nowadays so few pipe smokers smoking tobacco and at that even fewer that know how to hand blend perfect recipes/mixtures; I cannot stress enough how similar to cooking
>The ability to sit back and enjoy pipe tobacco after setting up camp and food is cooking, or after a hike, or really whenever you can afford to take a break with no set time on how long to smoke
>The aftertaste is like how a delicious mint would leave your mouth except this is whatever taste your tobacco blend leaves, sometimes nutty, fruity, campfire, whiskey, hickory, any flavor you can imagine
>The ability to cellar your tobacco similar to Wine/Mead/Cigars/etc
>Very soon I will be growing my own tobacco to create my own tobacco blends from the ground up instead of buying each component and mixing; this knowledge also allows for my own cigar making with the tobacco leaves depending on what I decide
>Some blends offer nostalgia to those who have/had relatives/parents that smoked pipe tobacco and gives them good memories to smell that blend once again
>Girlfriend gave me the "you look so sophisticated when you do that", funny but most people that have commented do not give the same looks as they would a "crackhead hitting a pipe"
>>
>>851984
I would have to strongly recommend if anyone is interested in smoking pipe tobacco or even blending, do watch and read plenty on the topic before picking it up yourself

Some people have self control issues which can turn any positive hobby/action into negative without discipline

Patience and moderation is the best advice I can offer

Ask any questions, I am glad to answer as are others

Good luck
>>
File: IMG_1944_large.jpg (133KB, 597x935px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1944_large.jpg
133KB, 597x935px
My sis smokes a pipe

>at home
she uses a churchwarden. [pic 1]
The long stem cools the smoke for a smooth pull
>innawoods
she /out/s real hard and used to bring a small sherlock looking pipe [pic 2] cuz its durable and takes up less space. Its not a poor-pothead level noseburner but its not as nice as the churchwarden. She describes it as "sea captains' smoke" where its harsh, heady, but not unbearable

Tho,
she recently got into Kiseru pipes [pic 3]. Its metal and bamboo so its sturdy in a backpack getting pressed and banged yet long enough to get a smooth cool smoke. Said its just as or more durable than the small pipe just cuz of the nature of bamboo.

So i think she'd recommend the kiseru cuz of how much she's been loving it lately. Says its more enjoyable smoking out of like the warden but doesnt worry about its durability like the sherlock

i personally dont know much about smoking but i hear it endlessly from her.
if you go to a local shop, the sherlock kind is the only thing they'd have. but if you buy online, which is cheaper anyways, go for a kiseru.
>>
>>851990
Your sister is smoking opium.
>>
>>851990

Churchwardens do not work like that unfortunately; they supposedly cool the smoke but even my 11.5" Churchwarden does not cool the smoke to the capacity of what everyone's review states; a lot of hype but there is a ~SLIGHT~ difference in smoke temperature, this will NOT prevent/resolve tongue bite though as many will state

I have 3 other Churchwardens different materials than the 11.5" and none offer such a cool smoke that I would pick them over a standard straight/bent Briar pipe

Churchwardens are nice, there is no doubt about that. There is a lot of hype around Churchwardens since LOTR came out and that is why people are willing to tell you a lot of exaggerated reasons why it's better

Churchwardens became a thing when the literal Church Wardens needed a concealable pipe/ember while also maintaining a long burning bowl so they do not have to leave their post or shift attention/focus

With that being said, it seems to be an essential addition to any pipe tobacco connoisseur; but it is not a magical pipe that removes heat to the degree of what others will tell you

Pic2, that bent pipe is my favorite design; with that being said I would not take it out because they are $100~ Peterson pipes that can break if there is a little carelessness in packing or placement of bag

I prefer wood over other materials everywhere. I favor Briar or Cherrywood pipes over other materials; but recently for /out/ings I have a Meerschaum which is even more delicate but most quality 100% block Meerschaums come with a very rigid hard case

Pic3 I have seen those long pipes with mini bowls for a while now and curious as to why but I will soon pick a few up to determine for myself. What I see though is a small bowl that might be for all of 5-15 puffs/hits which definitely is not what my own personal ritual would work with

If I had to pick 1 pipe for the rest of my life. It would be Pic2 no contest. Bent with billiard bowl has given me the best smokes of my life
>>
>>852013
That is what I imagine these are for, Thuốc lào, or maybe even another very strong almost concentrated material

>>852014
I will get maybe 1-3 of those style pipes just to test because why not life is short enough already, but I highly suspect that they are more used for opium or other drugs that can be smoked in extremely small quantities and have strong effects

Personally I favor a nice long relaxing smoke over potency, I even aim for Burleys that are toasted/white with less nicotine because I do not like the "buzz/headrush" you get with too much nicotine. This style pipe if used with tobacco looks to be used with Thuốc lào like I stated or maybe an extremely strong nicotine blend; which sounds more like getting your fix (cigarettes) than enjoying a nice relaxing smoke
>>
>>851935
>I don't smoke anything.
Same here before I started a couple of years ago. First with cigars, then with pipes. My first cigar was a ridiculously good Cuban. I later tried seeking other premium cigars, and most were good but expensive, and I found some clunkers even among the highly rated things. I also got a little tired of everything just tasting like a cigar
>What would the appeal/experience be like for someone that doesn't smoke?
It's whatever you want it to be. For me it's the time i have to spend just slowing down and doing it. When I started I was amazed at just how good a good tobacco tasted. It's not all good tobacco, and there is a learning curve, but when I smoke a good tobacco it's a very rich and satisfying flavor. Also, a good nicotine buzz is a surprisingly nice feeling. I don't think I was ready for that. Plus, since it's not quite as addictive as cigarettes I can put it down for a while when I want to or if life gets busy.
>Is there a reason to do it?
Well, there IS the nicotine thing.
Also it makes you (or at least me) be outside and a little more social. It's also a more fiddly thing to do, and I like fiddly things. Also, smoking even expensive pipe tobacco is less expensive than the same amount of smokes from premium cigars.
>What about taste?
When you learn how to smoke a pipe properly and slowly, you get a LOT more flavors than you do in cigars, and that's just the start. There are flavored pipe tobaccos that taste worlds better than the flavored cigars, but there are other flavors you can get with just different varieties of tobacco and different aging methods too. It's all in the blend, and some blends are VERY good indeed. And finding one that tastes really good to you is one of those things that's just nice.
>>
>>852027
I would have have to agree with everything this poster has stated

Definitely regarding taste this is on point, I probably included Taste at least 3 times in my post; there is a learning curve for pipe tobacco but it is EXTREMELY rewarding when you do it correctly >>851984
>>
As has been said earlier, I'd reccomend a good Missouri Meerschaum corn cob for going /out/, because they are durable, a good smoke, and cheap, so if it does break, it's not a huge deal. I own proper meerschaum pipes, and I don't like smoking them much only because I worry about how fragile they are, and how you can screw them up more easily, and I definitely wouldn't take them /out/. Briar tends to be expensive enough, and being /out/ rough enough, I wouldn't want to risk it unless I went with taking a good smoking basket pipe.

And has been said, again, but I want to second it... A lot of the joy in pipe smoking is learning and mastering the art of properly smoking a pipe. It is a slow, methodical process that is very relaxing on its own, and when mixed with that light nicotine high, is a wonderful thing. I only really smoke pipes when the weather is nice outside, and it usually gives me an excuse to sit on my patio on a nice afternoon/evening and relax for a while.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 600x800px
>>852062
I own a couple of meerschaum pipes too, and their fragility is overstated. You don't want to drop them obviously, but neither are they glass. And they should be smoked, because they're great.
The best thing about meerschaum pipes is how true they smoke. You get all the flavors of the tobacco with no inherent flavor from the pipe-they cover nothing up, especially if you keep them clean.
Smoking an excellent tobacco in a good clean meerschaum is one of the things that every pipe smoker should experience. My first good bowlful of Royal Yacht in pic related was transcendent. I at once understood why people loved smoking.
>>
>>852082

Its more of the post-smoke cleaning I worry about. I don't want to over-ream and scrape out the actual material, because it is definitely softer than wood or corncob. Also, most of mine are fairly new, and I want to be careful to let the coloring of the meerschaum happen 'right', and avoid touching the stuff and discoloring it with the oil from my hands.

Definitely nice to have, but not really an /out/ thing, for me.
>>
>>852106
You handling it won't hurt it. They're already waxed with beeswax before you even touch them. Just smoke them and enjoy. As far as cleaning, I clean mine with pipe cleaners soaked in 91% isopropyl and clean the chamber with a paper towel, sometimes soaked in iso, sometimes dry.
>>
>>852014
Nice reply.
Nah it lasts more than 5-15 puffs because you gotta roll that finely shredded tobac into a dense ball and put it in. Its part of how to use it that you overstuff it, and none of my sis' kiseru have a small bowl; theyre all actually rather large and about the same as her warden.

That sherlock one she did keep well packed when she went out, but from what i saw shes way less ginger about the kiseru. She didnt spend much on it and its probably more rugged just due to the bamboo. Sorry i dont have pics of hers specifically, tho in my first pic, the warden is the same model she has cuz i bought it as a present.
its funny, shes not only not a weeb but kinda racist against everything japanese for some reason yet loves kiseru and even has art of women smoking it all over her place like [pic].

so here is a brief vid on rolling the tobac. Start at this timecode: 4:17
https://youtu.be/MD9fO2AUF44?t=4m17s
>>
>>852019
Japanese man here. Kiseru is usually for Japanese kizami tobacco which is shred very fine, much more than western style ribbon cut. It is only sold in japan for some arcane reason (tourism?), but western tobacco can work. It's a very short smoke though, since it's such a small bowl.
>>
>>830403
You should sand the burning area first desu to be safe senpai
>>
>>852166
How does it feel to live in a place surrounded by continuous anime for manchildren?
>>
>>827330
I went on a college field trip last week and my teacher brought a pipe and we smoked with him it was pretty cool

I just wanted to say that, I don't know anything about pipes
>>
>>852215
That's about all there is to know:
they hold tobacco and you use them to smoke. Like all tools they're not very interesting in and of themselves. The fascinating thing about them comes from how well they work when they are used. And in this case how well they smoke tobaccos known to be good.
>>
>>852215
Like another anon said you need a little more stuff to load and smoke them. The tobaccos IMO taste a lot better than cigarettes do tho.
>>
>>852146
So you cant use regular pipe tobacco with them? Or just finely cut tobacco?
>>
>>852430
yea but its not special order or anything
just get the kind meant for rolling cigarettes. Not the cheapy shit of course; lots of nice flavors and stuff. Some of the thicker heavier flavors like whiskeys and fruits are thicker, but lotta the vanillas and other herby ones are available in finer shreds.
>>
>>827330
>weed smokers
>degenerates
Pick one fag.
>>
>>852470
>pick two
FIFY
>>
>>852479
>weed smokers
>degenerates
I picked both..
>>852470
>>
>>834519
>tongue bite

You don't get tongue bite with high quality tobacco, you must be smoking your garbage aromatics. Also you're not supposed to "smoke " a pipe you're just supposed to puff on it gently like sipping a fine wine. If you're getting tongue bite then you're smoking wrong.
>>
>it's a I smoke virginias and pretend im not just tasting bland hot air episode.
>>
File: perkons.jpg (28KB, 363x358px) Image search: [Google]
perkons.jpg
28KB, 363x358px
>>851990
whats even the point of smoking if not using 1 all the time for that Gandalf feels
>>
File: pipes.jpg (2MB, 1936x1296px) Image search: [Google]
pipes.jpg
2MB, 1936x1296px
>>851686
>....OR, he could just smoke his pipe and the natural sugars in the tobacco leaves will form a cake on their own for him as they are smoked. It'll take a little longer and won't be as consistent in places where he has trouble consistently smoking the ashes down to, but it DOES happen.

And that being the case, there is no reason NOT go with the honey seasoning route.

>THIS is why it was recommended for OP to buy a cob pipe when going /out/.

Sure, for a corncob pipe it isn't necessary to season it, as they essentially disposable.
>>
>>852680
can i still season my after i smoked it a few times?
>>
>>852693
*pipe
>>
>>852694
You do not want to put anything other than tobacco in pipes to build cake.

Impatient people give this advice, research for yourself and form your own decision.

My advice would be to use your pipe as you normally would an be patient with your ember. You can also do what a lot of manufacturers recommend which is increase the amount of tobacco gradually so that you start the cake at the bottom and work your way up.

Although before you do anything to your pipe, research it THEN form a decision.
>>
>>852601
>You don't get tongue bite with high quality tobacco,
Yes you certainly can.
I have.
QAll you have to do is smoke too fast, pack too tight, have tobacco that's too wet, draw too hard, and/or unconsciously breathe back down the stem when you smoke. You'll learn about tongue bite firsthand no matter what's in your pipe.

What causes tongue bite isn't necessarily cheap tobacco, but rather moisture in the tobacco hitting the embers, turning to steam and coming up the stem to condense-it's a small steam burn inside your mouth.
But you're right that it happens much more easily with cheaper aromatics. They're usually so soaked with propylene glycol they literally can't dry out. But even those tobaccos can be smoked without tongue bite. You just have to dry the tobacco as much as you can, load the tobacco more loosely and smoke SLOWLY. Give the moisture time and a way to escape out of the top of the bowl and it won't go up the stem of the pipe to bite you.
>>
>>852693
Sure, as long as you clean out your pipe thoroughly first so the seasoning has something to stick to.
>>
Well, this thread combined with slightly cooler weather has gotten me smoking my pipes again. Gave one of my meerschaums a spin yesterday, and a cob today. All my damn tobacco jars have lost their labels, outside of one latakia heavy blends.
>>
>>852723
Do all aromatics use propylene glycol? That shit's bad for the kidneys
>>
>>829426
You don't inhale fucking cigars, cigarillos yes, cigars no. FAIL.
>>
>>853049
So is every other substance known to man not called "distilled water", but somehow we manage to survive despite the odds.
Propylene Glycol is on the FDA's list of substances that are "generally regarded as safe for human consumption", and is used in injectable medications. Once In the body, PG metabolizes into lactic acid, aka the substance your muscles make when you exercise. Your body knows how to deal with that.

Anyway, lots of aromatics use some amount of PG to bind the flavors to the tobacco, keep things properly moist and retard mold growth. The better quality aros use it sparingly so as to avoid PG's tendency to give a strange "off" flavor to the smoke, while the cheaper ones use more. But even with the cheap stuff, you're not drinking the shit-the ingested quantities are in the milligrams per pipe bowl-WELL below the FDA's daily recommended intake of 23mg per kg of body weight.
To even get close to that, you'd have to smoke dozens pipe bowls stuffed full of the cheapest shit you could find, and you'd probably die of nicotine poisoning long before the PG ever got to you.
>>
>>852977
How was the meer?
I have three and love mine. They smoke great.
>>
>>853090

Was good. need to smoke it more, to get a good patina going.
>>
>>851935
I have tried a cigar here and there out of curiosity but got in to pipes last year.
>>851978
This anon has a lot of similar answers and reasons to me.

I tried it because I saw some coworkers doing it, if you've never seen a pipe smoker you almost have to ask the same thing you just did. I was loaned a 'spare' pipe for an evening smoke while at work and found it sociable and pleasant.

I'll smoke alone or with people. It's certainly culinary. Exploring pipe tobacco in itself has become a hobby; there's a lot to learn and try and even today people are creating new blends. If you enjoy beer or wine, you could probably appreciate it. I'll smoke a tin of tobacco and every time i might find a more subtle flavor.

And as someone else said, it's 'fiddly' which is fun. It makes you sit outside for a few moments and have time for thought, or a nice book. It's relaxing on a summer evening, and gives you something warm to hold on a snowy winter afternoon.

Socially it gives you something to 'do' while talking to others, and can be a conversation starter, or something to do with others who also like pipes.

Do your research, I sure did. But the risks are minimal, especially if you only smoke 2-4 times a week. In fact, smoking a churchwarden can reduce that even further since the smoke cools more and the hot gas is where a lot of the oral cancer risk comes from. You're not supposed to inhale pipe smoke, so your lungs will be fine. As I think I posted earlier, there is actually one somewhat large study that found pipe smokers to live an average of like 1-2 years longer than non-pipe-smokers which is interesting. Obviously the tobacco doesn't do that, but perhaps the relaxing habit does.

It's worth trying. You'll get very little nicotine from one or even two bowls, so don't be afraid of addiction right off the bat. I will go weeks without smoking sometimes. I find what I desire more than the tobacco is the ritual of it, the scheduled quiet time to enjoy a pipe.
>>
Hey im the kiseru smoker's brother from earlier.

Anyone know good places to find a nice one online? Im not familiar with shopping for them and gonna make that an upcoming present.
>>
>>853132
>gonna make that an upcoming present.
So this is how you plan to seduce your sister? Is she at least hot?
>>
>>852698
A light coat of honey helps jumpstart the process. A pipe manufacturer used to sell pipes that way, for that purpose. Read the thread and THEN form a post.
>>
>>827359
Beer and Cigs are for kids, grown men drink liquor and smoke pipes.

Smoking a pipe requires an amount of patience and skill that your average hipster just doesn't have.
>>
>>853384
I have contributed about 30%+ of this thread, do not feel personally attacked because you gave poor advice
>>
>>853132
I would imagine the link below is a good source
http://kiseru-pipe.com/en/
https://www.medwakh.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=16&name=asian-tobaccos-and-accessories&Itemid=474

Amazon has some too for cheaper but I have no understanding of quality differences with these
https://www.amazon.com/Japan-Kiseru-Pipe-Big-18-11inch/dp/B00962Y6C6

This site has some decent information about ordering Kiseru's in the US
http://www.sarudama.com/miscellaneous/kiseru.shtml
>>
>>853084
>You don't inhale fucking cigars,
That's what I said, yes.
>>
>>836038
this pic is so comfy
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>836038
I'd recommend they look into used, aka "estate" pipes if they want an inexpensive briar that smokes really well.
With pipe smoking in decline for the last 50 years and older pipe smokers leaving the scene, deals on used pipes abound. They're at thrift shops, flea markets, antique stores, Craigslist and eBay, and they're cheap.
Pic related is probably my best smoking pipe. It's a GBD Sauvage series pipe in a bulldog shape, and the draw is so open and easy it practically smokes itself. It probably sold for $60 30 years ago; I got it for $15 on eBay with shipping, about half of the price of a drugstore Dr Grabow briar. It was grimy, but a couple of damp paper towels cleaned it up nicely as you can see.

If you go this route, spend $10 on a couple packs of pipe cleaners (both plain and bristled), a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol, and a roll of paper towels, then go to town cleaning it. Use paper towels moistened with water to clean any grime off of the outside and tzhe rim. Soak the pipe cleaners in the alcohol and start working inside the removable bit and the stem of the pipe. I've had pipes so clogged with tar and junk that the first 20 pipe cleaners came out black before transitioning to dark brown (incidentally those turned out to be some of my best pipes-the meerschaum I posted above was that dirty, and it is fantastic now).

Look for the premium brands of the past and don't be afraid to buy it if it looks a little beat up. Think about it: if someone used it A LOT, that means it smokes well, and you can haggle the seller down a little on condition.

Most of the pipes you find will be at least decent. Some better brands to look out for for are Kaywoodie, GBD, Comoy, Chacom, Marxman, Butz Choquin, Stanwell, Savinelli, Sasieni, Pioneer, Manxman, Alpha and Castello. At the top of the line are Dunhill and Peterson, but that's getting into collector grade stuff and you generally won't be able to find great deals there.
>>
>>827924
He'll have to learn just like the rest of us and our grandfathers did.

Living in the library/on the telegraph/the telephone/the book clubs/the zines/Usenet/the WELL/CompuServe/Prodigy/AOL/an anonymous Cajun Soupmaking forum/your smartphone/etc is no substitute for living life and doing things in the real world.
It's scary /out/ there: there are bugs, diseases, animals and the weather; you don't learn everything instantly; and there's a real chance bad things could happen to you. But it's REAL, and you've done it, and ultimately that makes you a more complete and happier person than the substitutes for real life can ever do.
>>
>>830677
Have you ever looked into a meerschaum pipe?
The nice thing about them is that they're about the most weather-resistant pipes out there. They're very popular in northern England for just this reason. Their wet soggy winters and constant high humidity will warp and wreck briars or cobs in short order, while meerschaums are stone-they just shrug it off.
>>
Post more comfy pics of pipes please
>>
File: 3qU8360.jpg (537KB, 3000x1950px) Image search: [Google]
3qU8360.jpg
537KB, 3000x1950px
my pipe collection
>>
File: bfqal.jpg (82KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
bfqal.jpg
82KB, 960x720px
>>
>>853890
Meers were rather expensive and bulky, if there was a popular weather resistant pipe it'd probably be clay given it has similar properties and would be very cheap and compact comparatively.
>>
>>854721
Clays are also weather resistant as well as cheap. The differences are the plain shaped meerschaums are less fragile and draw better than clays while the plain clay stems also stick to your lips when you smoke them.
I suppose I've also got something of a skewed perspective since my meerschaums all cost less to buy used than either of my two clays, but such is my experience.
>>
>>854784
Clay's will seal up and the stickiness will go away as they absorb tars and moisture.

Main problem is the stem being rather fragile but most kept it in a case, in a hat or just in thier mouths.

I replaced a broken stem on my clay with a vilulcanite and it's pretty sturdy now.

Seems it kind of became irrelevant after the 1800s though
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
While I'm at it:
Pic related is my pipe nook right now.
From left
>my favorite meerschaum,
>the Royal Yacht I've talked about here
>my newest find, a late 1950s Charatan Relief Grain I found at an antique shop this afternoon
>Nimrod pipe lighter
>Casey Jones Last ride cherry flavored tobacco (excellent stuff, and worlds better than Cap'n Black Cherry-I highly recommend it)
>a local amber ale
>my Savinelli factory second waiting for the Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls I stuffed in it an hour ago to fully dry out.
Not pictured is a little Zulu-shaped pipe I am smoking the CJ in right now.
It's pretty comfy
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>854800
Try this again
>>
>>854798
I guess my first smoke in a clay soured me a little on them. I had a clay Churchwarden and it smoked wonderfully that first time-then i tried to tap out the ashes...
>SNAP
>goddammit
My cw became a regular-length clay just like that. Still smokes ok and I was able to smooth out the break fine with a file, but yeah.

I don't know if I would say they became irrelevant, they just got moved into a niche. They're still valued for how true they smoke, but they cost more than most cob pipes and breakage is still a definite downside.
my biggest issues with them is the super narrow draw and how hard they are to clean. If you get the draft hole plugged up you'll have a devil of a time trying to get it cleared, as it's smaller than all but the very thinnest pipe cleaners and the stem is almost as long.
>>
What affect has pipe smoking had on your guys' oral health? I was just doing some research, and what I found was kind of scary, or at least unpleasant. Lots of stuff about staining, tooth and bone loss, gum disease, and cancer. All in similar rates to cigarette smokers, which is kind of weird to me, since it seems like it's healthier in every other way, but that's what studies have shown.

So what have you been able to notice?
>>
>>854853
I brush my teeth and floss twice a day and don't notice much diffrence.

Drink water and don't smoke too much, people who say that there are no risks are lying.
>>
>>827330
Enjoy lung and mouth cancer, faggot
>>
>>853384
Kaywoodie is the one that did that I think
>>
>>854853
why on Earth would you think it was any healthier?
>No filter
>that heavy pipe tobacco
>>
>>853851
potable alcohol never isopropyl
>>
>>854973
You can get filters for cheaper pipes
>>
>>854800
Do you have to wait for it to dry out?
>>
>>854973
I didn't think it was healthier, I thought those issue might happen less because 1. Every other health issue common in smokers happens less with pipe smokers, and 2. people tend to smoke pipes less than cigarettes (part of the reason for number 1), and I figured less exposure to smoke would lead to fewer issues. I'm not surprised that problems happen, I was surprised that they seem to happen as much as with cigarette smokers.
>>
>>855071
It helps.
Rolled, twist, plug and flake tobaccos have less surface area than standard ribbon cut stuff.

This means it can stay fresher longer because there's less surface area to oxidize, but it also dries out a lot slower because there's less surface area for the water to evaporate from.
It just so happened my tin of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls was a bit too humid and didn't like to stay lit.
In most other environments this wouldn't matter at all. Here in the South's soupy summers it takes a little while to dry out for best results.
So I let it sit outside while I smoke a bowl of different stuff first.
>>
>>854972
They did, on their Yello Bole line.
Which, incidentally, is still in production.

>>855016
A lot of European pipes take filters too no matter their price point, from budget stuff to expensive custom freehands.

That's part of the reason why many Euro tobaccos blends are A LOT stronger than comparable American blends. Smoke the yuro stuff in a filtered pipe and the American stuff filter-free and the strength of both flavors will be about the same.

>>854853
It hasn't, but I don't smoke that much.
If anything my own oral health is ironically a little better. I fucking hate the aftertaste tobacco leaves, so I try to scrub and listerine that shit out of my mouth and tongue as soon as I can afterward.
Now if I was smoking 10+ bowls a day and had been doing it for 25 years then yes, I'd probably be seeing some effects by now. But 2-3 bowls a week over the course of one year? Nah.
That's a whole lot of moderation for a smoking habit.

>>854974
As long as you let it evaporate away beforehand-and I do-it doesn't matter.

If anyone's really paranoid, they can get a straight grain alcohol like Everclear or Diesel brand booze. It'll do the exact same thing, only at 10x the price and they have to be 21 to buy some.
>>
>>853504
I didn't give the advice. I've not an opinion on the waste of liquor, but the honey is a good option.
>>
>>848143
my nigga
>>
File: cherry tobbaco.jpg (108KB, 450x451px) Image search: [Google]
cherry tobbaco.jpg
108KB, 450x451px
I've heard this stuff is a good aromatic. I don't have a pipe yet but I would love to try some. I occasionally smoke cigars. The Brazilian CAO's are probably my current favorite although I haven't smoked too many cigars.
Can we get more good tobaccos in here?
>>
Gawd tobacco is so bad for what it is. I used to dip and had to have a tumor cut out from my thyroid. Now im frigging cold intolerant.
>>
File: mouthcancer2.jpg (7KB, 256x200px) Image search: [Google]
mouthcancer2.jpg
7KB, 256x200px
Here's a pic of some mouth cancer just for shits and giggles
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 909x515px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 909x515px
>>855493
On a related note, here's a picture of some consequences of gay bowel syndrome, with which the previous poster is no doubt acquainted.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 400x399px
>>855486
Haven't tried that yet. Just learned about it the other day as a matter of fact.
Pic related is something I tried on a whim, and was actually a very nice surprise.
A much better vanilla flavor than I've had previously, and the bourbon flavor complements it well.
>>
>>854973
Not that guy, but "healthier" isn't the right word.
Willingly putting smoke into any part of your body is harmful, and everybody knows this. Just how harmful it is depends on where it goes. If it goes into your lungs it's going to be much more harmful than if it just stays in your mouth, even when using "lighter" tobaccos. The surface area of the lungs is orders of magnitude larger than the mouth and designed for maximum absorption-it just makes sense.
>>
>>854802
$15 a tin?!?! Last tin I bought was $5. Albeit ribbon cut from a local company, but still. Been smoking it over the last two weeks and I'll probably be done with it in the next couple weeks.
>>
>>855866
Dunhill's a premium name brand, and I bought it to try out from a local shop I like to support. We're I to buy it again, I'd probably go online where it's $10.
>>
>>827330
Here's a question. I like to smoke cigarettes. I think they taste alright. I hate the smell and the taste of smoking cigars. But, I love the smell of pipe tobacco. I know I will only know when I try it, but what is the possibility of me enjoying smoking a pipe? Seems like a cosy thing to do in the woods
>>
>>856096
You are very likely to enjoy it more than cigarettes, try it via sampler/starter pack that offers a pipe, 1-2 tobacco types, a tamper tool (or you can buy a czech tool for a few $ if not included) and some pipe cleaners (cheap to buy separate if not)

If you can afford I would recommend trying a Dunhill sampler/starter kit tobacco wise, any Briar or Corn cob pipe should work sufficiently

Burley would be most likely what your cigarettes have in them, look up your favorite cigarette's tobacco ingredients and you can even mix your own blend to mimic that flavor if you desire

Although if you like cigarettes, a Dunhill Mixture 965/Nightcap/Elizabethan Mixture/Early Morning Pipe sampler pack or any 2 of those would be a wise start to get into pipe smoking
>>
>>856119
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I've already seen a lot of people recommend dunhill So ill definitely go for them. Thanks a lot!!
>>
>>855486
Great tobacco. The Conspiracy blend from them is also pretty top notch. Good, smooth aromatic.
>>
>>856096
You'll probably like it, but it's different than cigarettes and cigars.
I really have no experience with cigarettes, but cigars are much more straight tobacco, while pipe tobacco can be that, or anything else.
The biggest challenges for you to learn will be filling (most call it packing, but you REALLY don't want to pack tobacco too tightly into a pipe, so I've been trying to call it "filling") a pipe properly and the. smoking it slowly while not inhaling. Cigarettes use mostly burley tobacco, which is quite mild. Most premium pipe tobaccos, however use Virginia leaf, which can be much more flavorful, but can also be stronger, harsher and burn much hotter than burley if not smoked correctly. It's a much less forgiving leaf, but also a much more rewarding experience when done correctly.
Speaking of smoking correctly, to get the maximum flavor out of a pipe you don't want to take deep draws and puff like a steam train either. The idea is to sip the pipe smoke slowly, puffing it just enough to keep it on this side of going out. This allows the unburnt tobacco to roast under the embers, releasing their full flavors to you in the smoldering vapors.
As for blends:
If you want to start wth something familiar, go for Prince Albert. It's an American OTC, so it's widely available, it used to be made by RJ Reynolds and reportedly has the same blend as Camels do.
For something more definitely pipe tobacco but still mild and forgiving for new smokers, try Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh. Those are probably the best of the non-aromatic OTCs out there, and a lot of people still smoke them exclusively.
If an aromatic/flavored tobacco is more appealing, Captain Black white or Cherry is the place to start. It's not the best aromatic out there, but it's the most available and affordable, and the people around you will like it too, which is something that can't be said when you start getting into the more exotic straight tobacco blends.
>>
>>856166
Fantastic. Thanks, it's good to have all of this information, it's all helpful seeing as i know next to nothing about now. I hope i enjoy it! Thanks for taking the time to write that up i really appreciate it
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Pipe of the night:
CAO's Moontrance in my Butz Choquin bent pipe.
Moontrance is a great vanilla aromatic, and since my BC is the sole pipe I own that wasn't used before I got it, I'm trying to justify the scads of money I spent on it. To be honest I wasn't impressed with it at first, but it's becoming a better smoker the more I smoke it.
For pipe newcomers, how you fill the pipe with tobacco has an ENORMOUS effect on how well it burns, and it's so easy to pack the bowl too tightly and make trouble for yourself. Most recommend a 3 step process to newbies, but the instructions are always kind of vague and I've never been able to get the hang of it.
I filled this bowl using the Frank Method and got a bowl that burns well, lights easily and stays lit all the way down.
Here it is, demonstrated by its inventor.
Part 1: http://youtu.be/kJP0JaNRw6Q
Part 2:
http://youtu.be/9U5QbtyNxhA
Part 3:
http://youtu.be/OMtHOAiO8CI
>>
When I get up in the morning, Ill have to take a good shot of all my pipe stuff.

From the other shots here, I have a surprisingly large collection.
>>
File: 20160913_104314.jpg (396KB, 2317x1303px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_104314.jpg
396KB, 2317x1303px
Got 2 meerschaums, regular sized briar, churchwarden briar, 2 missouri meerschaum cobs, a mini cob, a clay pipe my mother brought me back from a trip to the netherlands.

The 9 pipe holder I think is a home made antique piece I found in a local shop.

The tobaccos I got are a mix of bulk stuff from pipesandcigars.com and localish tobacconists.
>>
>>856422
Scott's Butternut Burley, a wise choice leaves a lovely aftertaste for an aromatic

I like that pipe holder with tobacco in the middle and how you have your pipe cleaners, nice setup!

When we start a new thread for pipe smoking I will take and post a picture of my tobacco/pipes; it's always nice to see what blends everyone has as well as unique pipes
>>
>>854601
>nightcap
what do you think of it?
>>
>>856558

I'm curious too. I got a pack of it on the way.

>>856531

Yeah, that pipe holder I think is a locally home made piece I found at a local antique shop. And the "sticking the pipe cleaners in my older, smaller pipe holder" seemed like a good idea.

They list of tobbaco, looking more closely at my collection, is the Butternut Burley and Trout Stream from scotty's bulk, though I swear the Trout Stream was under H&H when I bought it. I also have some Larry's Blend, and I swear I should have some anniversary kake somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Lastly, I have the Aristocrat blend from a shop up in the Dallas area.

Larry's blend is pretty intense. The scent of it was impressive in the package I got it in. The entire think reeked like a shirt that had been sitting around a smoky campfire for like a week. Luckily, the smell didn't stick to the other blends in the package.
>>
>>856570
>>856558
Isn't nightcap the stuff that's loaded with nicotine?
>>
>>856749

IIRC, its loaded heavy with Latakia.
>>
>>856749
It's no more loaded than any other pipe tobacco, it just has a stronger flavor due to how the tobaccos were treated.
But if it's nicotine alone that you're looking for, then Nightcap is not what you necessarily want.
The burley tobaccos commonly used in cigarettes and classic American OTCs have a higher nicotine content than the Virginias and orientals used in English blends like Nightcap. They just have fewer flavorful compounds in them.
>>
>>855569
Kek.
>>
Got my tin of nightcap in.

Debating on popping it or just letting it sit for a while.
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.