[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a good deet free bug spray. Mosquitoes love me. Any recommendations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: 4L_OvUGar6O.jpg (8KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
4L_OvUGar6O.jpg
8KB, 320x240px
Need a good deet free bug spray. Mosquitoes love me. Any recommendations? Preferably stuff that doesn't come off when you sweat.
>>
File: SP544.jpg (153KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
SP544.jpg
153KB, 1400x1400px
>>826501
Picaridin based bug spray
>>
Spray bottle full of 91% rubbing alcohol will keep em away
>>
I would prefer all natural
>>
>>826513
Why? There is nothing about synthetic chemicals that makes them inherently more toxic than "natural" chemicals.

The most effective natural repellents have lemon eucalyptus oil. But I really think a picaridin or deet based repellent will be better.
>>
>>826513
Picaridin is all natural
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>826505
I somehow ended up with pic related and it actually works well. Seems like it keeps gnats and flies away better than DEET. It smells better than most bug sprays too.
>>
>>826501
Avon Skin so Soft. Dad was stationed at the Panama Canal for a while where the bugs form literal clouds and he swore by it.
>>
>>826525
Not really, it's a synthetic chemical developed by Bayer AG. That doesn't mean it is toxic or somehow worse than "all natural" bug sprays.
>>
>>826538
Ayyy! >>826530
>>
>>826530
>pic related and it actually works well
>>826538
>Avon Skin so Soft

No staying power. You have to reapply way too often. Common knowledge, google it.
>>
>>826546
What is a better alternative that doesn't have DEET then?
>>
>>826546
I use it while fishing and normally apply it later in the afternoon when the bugs start coming out. Even when I'm sweating with the heat, it seems to hold up fot a couple hours. Not like it's difficult to reapply.
>>
Repel Lemon Eucalyptus.
>>
>>826501
>>826505
This dude wins.

Natural repellants will fail you.
>>
>>826501
Why does it need to be deet free? Deet is unmatched in mosquito repelling ability. Nothing natural comes close. Source: travel doctor I visited last week.
>>
>>826619
Some people are sensitive to it, some people think it's toxic, and it dissolves plastics.
>>
>>826619
>>826637
I use picaridin because it's considered safer. But yea, det is supposed to work the best. I'd use it if picaridin ever failed me.
>>
I'm so glad I'm one of those people who has never needed a body insect spray in their life. I don't even get woodticks.

Though, I'm sure if I was up in Alaska, they'd carry me off like they do every other living thing.
>>
>>826645
There was a woman who died from no seeum bites in Labrador or a Newfoundland last year
>>
Let's say I sprayed myself with some DEET spray before I left my house and then sprayed down with Picardin spray once I got to the lake 30min later because Zika. Am I going to die from mixing them? Or just black out like with whiskey and vodka mixed together?
>>
>>826501
Cover all your skin

No shorts and t-shirts in the summer
>>
>>826505
the original version of this, Kirkin, is much better
>>
>>826501
You are not going to like this.
Eat one raw onion and one whole raw bulb (yes, all the cloves) of garlic mixed in with your food every day for two weeks. Avoid sugar during that time. This procedure was used by friends of my family before they went into a Central American jungle. Keep up the raw onion and garlic while you're innawoods too.

Also use the repellants these guys recommend.

You're welcome.
>>
how about tying a litle string to a dragonfly and teethering it to your backpack strap
>>
Victorias secret "bombshell" perfume.
>>
>>826946
>no seeum

Just fucking say sandfly you (insert redneck-variant insult here).
>>
>>826619
I hear deet eats at clothes, or something. I use it, FYI.
>>
>>829652
I'll need the science behind why this works before I waste $5/day when I could spend just $5/month on dete.
>>
>>826501
just remove your blood whenever you go outside, problem solved
>>
Mosquittos are attracted by the carbon dioxide you exhale. So if you stop breathing they will not be able to find you.
>problem solved.
>>
>>826501
Idk how much validity this has but I read somewhere that zebras and some other animals have those stripes to throw-off the poor vision of biting insects. Striped clothes? Body-paint? Lol
>>
The sawyer picaridin is great. It doesn't stink, and works.

I use deep woods off some times. It's like 98% DEET. It works but stinks and is oily.

You can also buy permethrin spray, and soak your clothes in it. After it dries it is safe to wear, and will repel bugs even after its washed a few times.

The repel lemon eucalyptus bug spray is natural, and actually works. Consumer reports did a test on it and found it better than many other chemical sprays.
>>
>>830255

>You can also buy permethrin spray, and soak your clothes in it. After it dries it is safe to wear, and will repel bugs even after its washed a few times.

This x10. It works REALLY well. You can buy the Sawyer brand for more $$, but you can also pick up permethrin at Tractor Supply in concentrate and make your own (it's used as horse and barn spray.) The upside is it is a lot cheaper, the downside is that some of the brands have a stronger smell than the Sawyer product. I use this on my clothes, tent, even my sleeping bag. It really does work well.

For on-skin protection, the truth is you simply cannot beat DEET products. They flat-out work and have been proven for years. I would NOT put DEET products with a high concentration on my gear, though -- over time it can deteriorate nylon and other open-pore synthetic fibers in high concentrations (50%+ DEET)
>>
File: 31qQ5GvrA-2BL.jpg (13KB, 217x275px) Image search: [Google]
31qQ5GvrA-2BL.jpg
13KB, 217x275px
I have just what you need, OP. Bifenthrin. It may burn a little when you apply it, but it's what all the mosquito barrier providing companies spray yard perimeters with. They won't go near it. It kills just about everything known to man kind also. It use to blow on me on windy days when I was applying it and it burned slightly but never a mosquito on me even once. Also kills spiders, fleas, pets, bees, flowers, just about everything. Some good stuff.
>>
>>826513

You need to read this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature
>>
>>826501

Eat raw garlic until you smell Asian.

Skeeters will avoid you, they don't like garlic. or you could take water and garlic and throw it in a blender, strain the juice and spray yourself for the same effect.
>>
>>830537
The effects of this are mild at best, and won't keep away ticks, and other biting insects.

Just use bug spray you NEET
>>
>>826501
Cloves, witch hazel, teatree, and citrus have all worked for me. Rub yourself with one of them or a mixture of them. Works pretty well and smells good. I've heard cinnamon can work too.
>>
>>829652
just to note, I'm not this guy but where I live one town has been spraying some sort of garlic formulation into their parks. Mosquitos have been pretty bad lately. Apparently it stinks up the place for about an hour but after that is not noticeable and has kept mosquitoes away surprisingly well. I've also read that chives have a similar effect.
>>
100% clove bud oil.

Don't use too much though. Will give you a headache.
>>
>>832166
It gives you a headache because it's incredibly toxic. Seriously, look it up. Ingesting clove oil is a medical emergency, and using a significant amount on your skin can cause liver failure.

Don't use clove oil, using bug spray is cheaper and more effective.

Use the Repel lemon Eucalyptus if you want a natural spray.
>>
>>826637
Can use it to clear up fogged plastic headlight lenses- in like 10 seconds.
Stop using it when I found that out.

I use this shit.
I live in the boonies and this is popular at the local stores.
I've used a bunch of stuff but this is the best one I've found.
http://www.nonatz.com
>>
>>830258
>I use this on my clothes, tent, even my sleeping bag.
jesus, enjoy your cancer
>>
>>832773
Yeah, no. Its a neuro-toxin with very little affect on mammals (except cats, it kills cats dead since their liver doesn't do glucuronide something-something well). Dangerous oral doses for other mammals are absurdly high, 0.5-5gr/kg, and dermal doses over 2gr/kg caused only short-term neurological affects with no permanent damage.

There is a reason the WHO has Permethrin on its list of essential medicines. Shit works, and is safe.
>>
>>832761
Toothpaste will clear a headlight as well. You stop using that too?
>>
>>832782
shhh, it's not AU NATURALE so it's automatically bad for you.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.