[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have created a map to decide once and for all which are the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 272
Thread images: 26

File: outmap.png (320KB, 1553x1202px) Image search: [Google]
outmap.png
320KB, 1553x1202px
I have created a map to decide once and for all which are the best /out/ states. The criteria I have considered are:
1. Amount of public land (National Forest, Wilderness, National Monument, State Park, National Park, etc.)
2. Accessibility to these areas, both in travel and legality
3. Variety (in topography, climate, outdoor sports, etc.)

If you wish to make an argument to have a rating changed
-do not advocate for your own home state
-give a qualifier for why the state is better or worse and how much time you've spent in the state in the outdoors
-posts like >this state >x accompanied with a stock image will be ignored
>>
California masterrace reporting in

Oregon is cool too tho
>>
I'm from Missouri but I've been to Michigan a lot and gotta say the UP is pretty insane. The whole peninsula is lit. I think it deserves more than a 4, especially with Isle royale national park. A lot of my friends have ferried onto that island and backpacked it for a couple weeks
>>
>>825786
That set of categories if pretty bias towards the west. For example lots of maine is private land. But it's all timber companies and lip balm magnates. And they don't care if you go on their land.
>>
>>825786
Jersey should be higher. Yes it's the most densely populated state. But the whole center of it is the pine barrens.
>>
File: west-best-report-map-1b.png (88KB, 745x471px) Image search: [Google]
west-best-report-map-1b.png
88KB, 745x471px
>>825798
If Jefferson were to split off it would be the clear highest scorer

>>825813
I'll consider a bump to Michigan if we get some more confirmation and info

>>825817
Seems dubious
>>
>>825823
Michigan has ice climbing, dog sledding, diving and snorkeling, and roughly 106 state parks. Also don't forget about sleeping bear sand dunes and the great lakes
>>
>>825786
>create map
based on your meaningless arbitrary "feelings"
Im sure you've been to all of them you rated. You are a stud!!!

A true way to decide once and for all is to start out with every state a 5 and adjust based on actual people who have been there.

tl;dr
OP is a FUCKTARD
Only states with 20k mtns are considered because OP hikes them from 0-20k
>>
MN here, the boundary waters alone should bump us up to 5, that place is the closest I've been to heaven.
>>
The New England GOAT Tri-State Supreme Alliance (Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont) are among the best places to go out, unequivocally.
>>
>>825786
I live in SE PA, but if you go north and west there are just miles and miles of forest around.

Keep your shit list the way you want it, but don't pretend it's accurate.
>>
>Arizona
>Lower than Utah

Why?
Arizona is more diverse
>>
>>825829
Alright, Michigan getting bumped up. Will update the map later in the thread

>>825845
No need to get emotional

>>825852
Will consider pending further posts

>>825865
>>825869
>but my state is the best!
This is why I don't entertain opinions from people on their own home state.

I'd estimate less than 5% of the board has traveled the states extensively, and only a fraction of those people actual spent time in the wilderness areas for a notable amount of time. That's fine, most of the board is 16-25 and not in the financial state to do trips like that, nothing wrong with that, those who stay interested will have the opportunity in the future. But when I see short posts that don't really say anything other than they are upset someone doesn't like the state they were born in and haven't moved from I'm just going to dismiss them. If you have relevant experience and a valuable opinion to share on a state's outdoor merits it's not difficult to form an intelligent post. Here's an example of a good, informative post-
>>825829
>>
>>825823
>Seems dubious

75% of the state is unpopulated woods...
>>
>>825872
IDK about that, just look at SW Utah, you have Zion which speaks for itself, an hour East there's Escalante/Grand Staircase which is a vast, empty desert, then an hour north is Brian Head, a ski resort surrounded by dense forest. There's also ~10% more public land in Utah. Maybe a two point difference is a bit drastic though, let's hear from more people that have spent a lot of time in the Southwest
>>
>>825875
>but my state is the best!
>This is why I don't entertain opinions from people on their own home state.
Never said PA was the best, I said your list is shit.
>>
>>825877
Lots of states have tons of empty land if you are willing to trespass. Though it may be feasible for a local who knows where the logging roads are, for anyone travelling there to camp or do outdoor activities they aren't going to know or be able to find out easily who owns what lands and who cares if you go onto them or not, and they aren't going to give you a map.
>>
>>825878
Utah is nice, I'm not putting it down, but Arizona has Antelope Canyon, Saguaro, The Grand Canyon, skiing, lotsa mountains, and some forest of it's own. I'm just saying they're similar, maybe even equal.

Source: Southwesterner
>>
>>825820
The Pine Barrens actually run up to Cape Cod Mass. Surprised me when I found that out.
>>
>>825885
>they aren't going to give you a map.
that's where you're wrong. USGS will happily provide you with a map detailing which areas are private land and which are public.
>>
>>825865
*Fist bump*
NewVerMaine is incredible
>>
>>825875
>wwwaaahh you can't promote your own state because you are prejudiced, but I am not so here is a poorly thought out map.
I bet you are some communist faggot from California or Colorado.
>Muh West
>>
>>825907
Did not know that. I just knew it existed and stuff about the jersey devil. Didn't realize it was that big.
>>
>>825885
It's easy. If you see posted signs don't go in. If you don't go in. It's not the south. No one's going to shoot you. Except maybe during deer season if you dress badly or they're drunk enough. Plus just Google where the snowmobile or cross country skiing, or fourwheeler, or nature preserve paths, or all the local state trails that aren't parks but go on forever. Like the sebago lake sea trail for example.
>>
>>825786
>Amount of public land
irrelevant in determining if a state is upper tier /out/
>Accessibility ie distance to get to, from, between /out/ places
+++
>Variety
++

By your rating system New England should be at least an 8
You can break it down by state if you'd like but Mass, NH, Maine, VT together have a greater variety and more accessibilty & ease of access than pretty much any state in the country and have far more public land on a state level than you are aware of.
>>
>>825895
Fair enough. Will consider bringing AZ up to a 7.

>>825908
>>825920
So you get a map saying something is private land. Does it have the logging roads mapped on it? Does it say "these people don't care what you do on their property"? Like I said, it may be fine for a local, but it's not comparable to somewhere like Idaho or Alaska that has a huge contiguous wilderness that you can get a map of at any government office and go wherever you want dispersed camping along the way.

>>825924
If you think public land is irrelevant you probably just haven't spent much time actually in the wilderness. It's nice to have good day hikes 15 minutes away from the suburbs but that's obviously not what these ratings are looking at. Without extensive off road vehicle access and dispersed camping you can't truly get /out/ away from civilization.
>>
>>825933
>probably just haven't spent much time actually in the wilderness.
In my 50's and spend at least 60 days out every year personally, that does not count work.
As you mentioned earlier, I'm not in the 16-xx? age bracket and I can afford to do it.
I've been in 44 states and I can assure you that you have no clue what you're talking about.

That said you have your agenda and you're not going to be swayed. I know your type and have nothing further to say.
>>
>>825941
This

OP knows nothing beyond what his home state offers, and ironically thinks he can be the arbiter of what state is good.

>wants people's input
>but only about states they don't live in
Get fucked.
>>
>>825941
>>825958
See
>>825869
>>
>>825786
Why's Nevada so low?

More public land than the 8s surrounding it, just as accessible and with equal variety.
>>
>>825786
HAHA OP is the person that will burn fossil fuel for 4-6 hours to get to their special /out/ place and then bitch because I burn & bury my trash.
>>
>>825941
You're 50+, been everywhere and done everything, but take personal offense to a state rating on an anime imageboard, and storm off instead of using your knowledge to share your clearly informed opinions elegantly. OK.
>>825958
I'm not concerned what people think of their home state because, as shown in this thread, people get emotional about it for some reason and take other people's thoughts on it personally. It's not a contest for who lives in the best state, it's a guide for where to go on long, outdoor focused trips across the US. A state being great for outdoor activities doesn't mean it's the best place to live, and vice versa.
>>825980
The freedom and emptiness is second only to Alaska but there's not alot out there that isn't done better by the surrounding states. It can be one of the best places for a few people but there isn't as much universal appeal imo.
>>
>>825958
How's Iowa working out for you champ?
>>
lets see an updated map
>>
>>825786
Utah here. We should be a 9 at least. The only thing we're missing is beaches with bikini clad cutie pie Mormon girls.
>>
File: Maine.jpg (743KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Maine.jpg
743KB, 1600x1200px
>>825786

>Maine is a 4

you filthy nigger, I'm not even from there but that state is damn near the best thing the east coast has to offer, fucking god tier.
>pic related

and this is coming from a Florida fag, if Maine is a 4 then Florida is literally a zero in comparison. Also New york should be at least a 4 or 5, the Adirondacks are masterace.
>>
>>826048
>the best thing the east coast has to offer
So about a 4, kek
>>
File: burgess falls.jpg (86KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
burgess falls.jpg
86KB, 960x540px
I love how TN always gets rated so poorly on these threads. You fags should do more than drive through I40. This is one of babby's first state parks(15 minute drive south from I40). So much more to be seen in TN.
>>
>>826057

Have fun in your drought ridden west coast faggot. Maine is a glorious state.
>>
>0
>iowa
is this the highest possible rating, or are you retarded? clearly you've never been to iowa, you untraveling mono-state piece of shit.
>>
>>825786
Texas is a 1? You have got to be kidding, it has by far the most diverse ecology of any state. Coasts, forests, desert, plains, it has more geological regions than any other state. Also caves, springs, etc. are numerous, and the sheer size of the state and public lands make it a contender for a higher score.

OP's map obviously has a west coast bias, Florida and Minnesota obviously deserve higher scores. If OP's map was only about mountains and pine trees then perhaps it would be more accurate. Clearly does not make sense even from his own professed standards.
>>
>>825786
Given these ratings and OPs comments I put OP at 19-22, uneducated, and untraveled.
>>
>>826107
The entire state of Iowa smells like pig shit. -3 m8.
>>
>>825998
Will do later

So far
Michigan +1
Arizona +1

Under consideration-
Maine
Tennessee

Would like to hear input on-
New Mexico
South Dakota
Hawaii

>>826107
>>826122
>>826140
Did you notice I correctly predicted moronic posts like this would be made, and tell you they will be ignored? If you want to weigh in on some states you've been to and feel are unfairly rated feel free. If you are going to get upset your home state isn't "winning" then also feel free, but you are just wasting your own time.
>>
>>826165

Hawaii and New Mexico confirmed for god tier anon.
>>
>>825786
>iowa
>0

Sounds about right OP.
>>
>>825786

OP Upstate New Yorks is top tier, the adirondacks literally cover like 30% of the state and they're absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>825786

Anon i would recommend breaking down the scale to include halfs. For example Hawaii is at least a 6.5 maybe closer to a seven actually. There is everything from snow covered mountains to tropical beaches here. Only downside is the lack of seasons.
>>
File: 12341234211.jpg (387KB, 1117x841px) Image search: [Google]
12341234211.jpg
387KB, 1117x841px
>>825878
>>825895

Uintah-Wasatch-Cache National Forest in North Utah as well. All "Big 5" Nat. Parks in the south are within 3 hours of each other, and the national/state monuments and wilderness areas litter the state. I absolutely love Arizona, but only Alaska and Cali beat us in (number of) national parks.

Only downside is that you might get hit by a bomb.
>>
>>825786

Maine should be at least a 6 OP, Acadia national park and baxter state park are gorgeous.
>>
>>825875
PA has a LOT of state protected land and wilderness areas. It's got a strong hunting and angling culture interested in and active in preserving public lands.

Not to mention it's got terrain ranging from coastal plain to Piedmont to the Appalachians and the Allegheny plain.

Hell, even in Philadelphia there are miles of protected parkland like the Wissahickon and Pennypack creek parks that are pockets of amazing woods in the city.

I live in Bucks County so I'm a bit of a homer, but this state is a treat to live in for an /out/doorsman. I live in Doylestown, so I have three awesome state parks (Ralph Stover, Peace Valley, and Nockamixon) within a 30 minute drive from my house at any given time.
>>
>>825786
>1. Amount of public land (National Forest, Wilderness, National Monument, State Park, National Park, etc.)
>2. Accessibility to these areas, both in travel and legality
>3. Variety (in topography, climate, outdoor sports, etc.)

>SC is a 3
oh shit nigger what are you doing
>a huge number of national forests, WMAs, preserves, barrier islands, state parks, etc compared to any other of the 13 colonies. Some of the best preserved/managed wildlife habitat in the eastern US
>literally free to everyone and with roads weaving through every location
>from mountains to coastline with everything inbetween: swamps, savannas, dry prairie, foothills, old growth forest

There is plenty of quality outdoor public land in the SE states. It's just not contiguous swaths that take up half of the states.
>>
Alaska is inferior in practice to most Western states because of how the insect life makes it a living hell for all human beings.
>>
>>825996
Maine actually
>>
Gr8 b8 m8 I give it an 8/8
>>
>>825786
Why isn't North Dakota a zero?
>>
>british columbia
Feelsgood living in a 10
>>
>>825786
Is Alaska really that great? It sounds way to fucking cold to get much enjoyment out of it. I can barely stand temperatures under 60F
>>
>>826340
Its sad that i find 60f to actually be hot.

Fkn canada does something to a man
>>
File: alaskamisquitos.jpg (713KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
alaskamisquitos.jpg
713KB, 2048x1365px
>>826340
>>
Kentucky is extremely low for a 2.

1. It's one of the top states for number of states parks.

2. It is the top state for number of parks per square mile.

3. Kentucky's system of 50 state parks has been referred to as "the nation's finest" and experiences more repeat business annually than those of any other U.S. state.
>>
>>826359
>look at pic of Kentucky woods
>get poison ivy
>>
>>826270
Black hills?
>>
The thing you don't understand about maine in about 80% of forested land is "owned" by logging and paper companies. But all that land is available for public use, completely. It's a struggle to find anyplace in maine where you are not allowed to go, really.
>>
>>826394
I am from that state, but please consider my input because it is simply something you would not know being from away.
>>
>>825786
Your methodology is faulty. Because so much Western land has been set aside it is overweighted if you are measuring the 'best' out experience.
Your map is effectively a map of most presence by the Department of Interior.
We have no way of knowing how you measure variety.
You've done nothing to capture the quality of /out/ experiences.
>>
>>826228
>roads weaving through every location
>this is somehow a plus
>>
File: map-owns_the_west.jpg (3MB, 2692x2212px) Image search: [Google]
map-owns_the_west.jpg
3MB, 2692x2212px
>>826228
>>826359
>>826402
There's been a few posts "well that's unfair because it's biased towards the West."
Well obviously, because that's where all the public land is you can actually go /out/ in. State parks, city parks, and "roads weaving through every location" is cool, good they exist, but you can't go out into them and dispersed camp, not see other human beings, or really have even a fraction of the freedom you do with NF/Wilderness. Like I said, these scores are for the best places to go /out/, not best places to live. The East is handicapped because the population density is much higher and public land is a tiny fraction of the state, if you want that to change write your Senator and ask for the suburbs to be demolished and replaced with wilderness area.
>>
File: 1465136452821.jpg (28KB, 180x229px) Image search: [Google]
1465136452821.jpg
28KB, 180x229px
>>826348
DELET THIS
>>
>>826219
Yeah OP I don't think you've really experienced PA. We've got interconnected state forest, park and gameland about the size of Yellowstone NP. Largest wild elk herd in the Northeast, miles of native trout fishing and hundreds of thousands of 200 yr old forest growth acres.
On top of that, very little tourism and capitalism, which someone from /out/ should appreciate. Or are you looking for pretty tourist accommodation
>>
>>826464
Yeah, there is hardly any federal land in the east because THE STATES own the land. There are massive swathes of state forest land in almost every NE state. Do you know that state forests exist? Federal land is not the only wilderness in the country, did you go on a National park tour the summer after college or something?
>>
>>825786
Northwest Arkansas is one of the world's best climbing area. While nothing truly mulitpitch, People come from around the world to climb here
>Example: horseshoe canyon
>>
>>826464
>>825786

The reason there is so much land in the western states is, other than coastal, nobody wants to live there. Driving 2 hours for groceries is ridiculous.
Diving 4-6 hours to get to a mountain is absurd.
CA sits on a fault line that is about to blow up. Have you not been paying attention? CA should be a 3 based on the SA fault, the smog, the polution, the MX's. Granted parts are beautiful, other parts are absolute shitholes worse than what you're knocking east coast for.
Also drought, mudslides.
OR & WA I'll give you 8+
AZ other than the slot/slit canyons is shit.

Most of OP's upper tier states have endless miles of monotonous (sp?) driving to get anywhere worth being and should be dropped to shit tier based on proximity of valuable land.

Throw in taxes and politics and CA drops another 2 levels.
>>
>>826504
State parks are nice, but more restrictive and much smaller in scale than National Forest. National Parks even moreso, they are nice and it's important they exist, but paying $30 to enter, and camping in a campground or paying for a backcountry camping permit with severe limitations isn't really going /out/

>>826531
Almost nothing in your post has anything to do with how good a state is for /out/ activities, I've said multiple times it's not a contest for the best place to live. The fact you think driving 4 hours to get to a remote place is "absurd" says a lot about your experience. I'm not a hardcore outdoorsman and I drive for multiple days to get to the better places all the time, many hours of that being offroad. Really your whole post is just an argument for why Western states are a better place to go on outdoor focused trips.
>>
File: flawda.jpg (182KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
flawda.jpg
182KB, 960x639px
>>826048
>>826099

Maine is boring as fuck. It's seriously just a big forest with logging roads EVERYWHERE. Have fun talking to the locals also, act snobby assholes if you're from anywhere other than the northeast.

If Maine is 4 then Florida is 5. Walking around aimlessly in a bullshit forest isn't the only /out/ thing to do in life. I'd rather kayak, snorkle, hike, boat, fish, explore the everglades etc.
>>
West coast: 6/10
East coast: 8/10
Iowa: 0/10
>>
>>826048
I always get a hearty kek out of seeing the little nubs east coast faggots call mountains
>>
>>826107
It's pretty nice along the Nebraskan border, but the rest is just corn and the occasional village.
>>
>>826579

Imagine, seeing them in real life and not on an anime imageboard, bet they'd look even bigger!
>>
>>825786
>do not advocate for your own home state
I see a retard made this chart so I won't. Nice non-logic
>anyone can argue for a state except the people that live there
Retard
>>
>>825786
OP, looking at your map I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of what a good starting base value should be for most states.
To really take it seriously and give you once and for all powers I'll just need to know:
Your age
Your /out/ interests
Your home state
Your experience level(s)

Thank you for putting this together.
>>
>>826215
Bomb? What do you mean?
>>
>>826518
Ozarks in general are underrated as fuck, im not from there but people get too caught up in the some of the people that live there, the /out/ is objectively mid to upper tier
>>
File: 5086947795_14eb83d703_o-700x450.jpg (151KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
5086947795_14eb83d703_o-700x450.jpg
151KB, 700x450px
>>826576
you can do all that in maine tho execpt walk through swamps...
>>
>>826464
sorry but i disagree. Kentucky in the appalachia areas is sparsely populated.

And you can go deep into Daniel Boone National Forest and not be around any civilization for miles. You are either intentionally trying to be an ass about east coast states or you really have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 550x659px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 550x659px
>1 in 5 acres used for public use/conservation

>Large diversity in habitat type depending which part of state you're in

Wisconsin is no Oregon or Cali but come on it's not a 4
>>
>>826099
If Maine is so great, why are you so angry?
Really makes you think
>>
Shilling for home state but i personally think it's underestimated

Connecticut while small and built up has an excess of state parks etc that are all more or less well maintained

We have 4 distinct seasons, and beaches, mountains , and a variety in land
Meaning a variety of different outdoor sports from boating and fishing to hiking, skiing, snowmobiling etc

Everything is within an hour drive so everything is quite accessable and there's much land open to the public

Also something to keep in mind
Ct even though small as fuck stocks 1.5 million fish ( give or take a few hundred thousand) anually all on public land ( plus other private stockings from private companys )
Meaning great fishing in most places

It may not be the best for wandering out into the wilderness and getting lost but it's certainly not as terrible as some may think

Iirc 96 state parks
30-35 state forests
All for a tiny state
>>
Anything good to do in Kansas? Tired of Colorado and SW Missouri.
>>
>>826677
I read part of De Sotos (I believe it was him) exploration of Kansas and it was crazy when he described the plains.

He said something along the lines of just acres and acres of flat land with like a high grass. Said other guys in the party would wonder off just to go hunting and be lost within a matter of minutes.

He described being able to hear the missing person answer their yells but could never find them in the vast plains.

Pretty interesting..
>>
>>826682
The entirety of the Great Plains was probably pretty awesome before it became one giant farm
>>
>>826682
Lol we tore out 52 million miles of native grasses.
>>
>>826579

You're gonna say that the mountain in that pic is not a mountain? It's going into the fucking clouds.
>>
File: Mount-Katahdin.jpg (87KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mount-Katahdin.jpg
87KB, 720x480px
>>826576

It's funny you say that, but have fun doing any /out/ activities in Florida without getting absolutely drenched in sweat because it's like 90 degrees and 95% humidity like 9 months out of the year. I live here and it's absolute shit tier, yeah the springs and ocean are nice for water activities but that's where it ends this state has nothing else to offer. hiking here is garbage tier, just flat woods with no distinct geographical features, no mountains, no valleys nothing just flat woods and impassable swamps that smell like shit. At least Maine has actual mountains and good weather with seasons and isn't filled with confederate red necks that litter everywhere. Have fun hiking in the national forests here where all the fucking rednecks do is trash all the trails with their trucks and ATV'S because MUH MUDDIN MUH OFF ROADIN. Pull your head out of your ass, Maine is fucking Valhalla compared to the this shit tier peninsula, I've lived here almost 20 years and I can't wait to graduate and get the fuck out.
>>
>>826719

Grass always seems greener on the other side when you're a whiny little bitch.

You've also never been to Maine if what you're saying about trash doesn't apply to the mountain hicks up north. Trashiest 'green' state I've ever been to. Every sister fucking hick up there has their favorite 'spot' with beer cans higher than what you call mountains. All in all they both suck, Maine just sucks a little more.
>>
>>826340
Top tier scenery but it's so fucking huge it's expensive, every city is about a 200 mile drive and in summer it's a 24 hour day so it can be hard to sleep however it's not very cold (around 65-70f) that said if you can afford it do it. You will probably see a bear daily, when I was there I saw moose, bear, lnyx even tallest mountains in America and great shoreline. Looks like a fucking postcard. Everywhere.
>>
>>825786
Why the hate for MN and WI on /out/? It's so beautiful here
>>
>>826150
Lol mn fag here confirms we laugh at them
>>
File: 123586712345.jpg (33KB, 353x334px) Image search: [Google]
123586712345.jpg
33KB, 353x334px
>>826722
are you fucking kidding me? i have hiked over 200 miles in maine and know for a fact that it not even close to as trashy as beaches get in florida. infact, the one time someone actually did trash a park it was fucking national news.

and those mountains are better than anything that florida has lmfao

>mfw someone brags about swamps near me
>>
>>826722
>Trashiest 'green' state I've ever been to.
Not that anon but you're outta your tree. Maine is probably the cleanest state in the NE. It is very rare I have to pack out somebody else's trash and I carry a bag 24/7 just in case.
>>
>>825786
>>826635
OP. I would also like to see what your experience is. Please respond to this.
>>
Man, what the fuck is wrong with people from Maine? There seems to be at least 4 extremely upset Maine residents in the thread, like the other poster said if you live in such a great state why would you be this angry? Calm down, breathe, maybe take a casual 2 hour hike to the top of the tallest peak in your state and collect yourself.
>>
>>826805
It's a shame, I kind of liked that one dude who posted the flood pics a few weeks back
>>
>>826722

You clearly have never been to Florida if you think Maine is trashy.
>>
>>826805

I'm the primary shit talker here and I'm not even from Maine, I'm actually from Florida but have been to Maine several times and it's glorious in comparison to Florida so when some anon said that Florida was better than Maine I couldn't believe it, Florida is literally one of the shittier /out/ states while Maine is literally probably in the top 3 for the East Coast. I literally drive 4000 miles round trip so that I can hike anywhere but Florida.
>>
>>826122
There's no public land in TX, can't go /out/ without land.
>>
>>826352
Michigan has more coast line than any other state, and its fresh water so its better for literally anything you would want to do on it, and it freezes during the winter so you can go ice fishing.
>>
>>826839
You don't have to drive 4,000 miles to hike anywhere but Florida
>>
>>826839

>has been to maine twice
>>
>>826836

>tfw i've lived in both
>>
>>826855
>more coastline than any other state

LaughingAlaskans.jpg
>>
>>826862

I do if its summer
>>
>>826963
I didn't say you shouldn't if you want to, just that you don't have to
>>
File: HSAZ2428-detail.jpg (445KB, 867x1037px) Image search: [Google]
HSAZ2428-detail.jpg
445KB, 867x1037px
>>825933
As an Arizona native, I'd keep Arizona at a 6. There's some cool things in Arizona but it's fairly limited in terms of geographic area. All the cool parts of AZ are in a comparatively narrow strip in the center of the state.

See pic related. I made it for a different thread bit it's still relevant.
>>
>>826122
this

Texas, NY, PA, and MN should be a little higher.
>>
>>825872
>>825878
AZ born and raised, I have trekked the southwest a few times. Utah is great,but AZ is insane on how climate and eviroments change so quickly. I say politics aside the southwest is goat in the mainland.
>>
I just moved to indiana and what the fuck is even here?

seriously though, can ya'll suggest some good parks and stuff. I live in the north west side of the state. I want to do my first backpack adventure soon here
>>
>>826639
There's a massive test range and several munitions depots out in the west desert area.
>>
>>826804
He already did dumb dumbs. Read the thread.
>>
>>825786

Are you actually doing some math behind this or guesstimating from available data? This is a great start, but I'm sure it can be improved. Things to consider would be visitor density of /out/ areas. Some people might consider scenery over seclusion or seclusion over activity. For a personal map, it's great... but a more "objective" /out/ map needs more consolidation on what /out/ considers /out/.

Also, I'm a Utah native and would suggest a slight bump to Arizona. It has terrain that resembles or even extends the best of what Utah has to offer, only falling short in some terrain similarities, such as the Uintas.
>>
>>827026
You may have to drive south or north a ways... northern Indiana is pretty flat. I used to go to IU but didn't have my /out/ equipment while I was there.
>>
File: 1463841205377.jpg (182KB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1463841205377.jpg
182KB, 2560x1707px
>>825875
New Hampshire is at least a 7. Downhill MTB there is god tier. Skiing,hiking and canoeing is amazing as well.
White Mountains. Been there a bunch, and the policies there for going /out/ are pretty sweet. You can camp anywhere in the mountain range as long as you're 200ft away from the trails and pick up your trash. Never seen a piece of trash in NH either.
Mass is okay. I think it would be fitting of a 3 if you looked a bit further west in the state. Sights there are really great. Camping is pretty nice and the MTB in central Mass is pretty decent. Nowhere near as nice as Vermont, NH or Maine though.
I'd say Maine is probably deserving of a 4, just because of how isolated some areas can be and the freedom of roaming through forests you have. Sights are pretty nice too.
Northwest and Mountain States are really nice, blow NE out of the water (coming from a NE resident). Though I don't think your ratings did the NE states any justice.
>>
>>826982

I moved from Seattle to Tucson. It's fun. The Catalinas are great for hiking and they're practically inside the city.
>>
>>826722
Sorry that we made fun of your Subaru outback and your full north face everything bro, thanks for dropping six hundred at L.L. bean when you came up from New York to rent a room at a bread and breakfast in kennebunkport for three days because your wife's boyfriend didn't want her alone with your weak ass in the great north woods.
>>
I'll just be here, murdering a billion asian carp on the illinois river.

>Not seeing a megafauna explosion first hand.
>Midwest will one day hopefully be the home of roaming herds again.

Been all over, every place has something incredible to see. Sure there are hundreds of miles of farms but damn if there isn't a ton of other things to do too that are just damn cool.
>>
>>827080
Wow, you got that dead on.
>>
>>827072
Is there a power gap between 7 and 8 or do you really think that NH is that great?
How can Northwest and mountain states "blow NE away" and yet California is only a 1 point higher than NH in your mind.

Just compare the two states:
24,214 km2 = Total area of NH
25,432 km2 = Combined area of National Parks in CA

NH has 210 km of coastline to 5515 km in CA (NOAA measurements)

CA has more impressive mountains than all of NE, let alone NH
CA has coastal and alpine mountain ranges. More peaks with greater prominence and elevation than NH.
If you think that NH has god tier mountain biking then what does CA have?

Not to mention that California also has a desert.

I know everyone that lives back East thinks that their state has some really great nature, but as you put it yourself, the west blows it away.
>>
>>827094
you cant really even compare the two. apples an oranges. one has the extremes of nature and one has the age of nature. the east and west are completely different beasts.
>>
>>827094
Until you realize the west coast is covered in literal trash. Both realistically and metaphorically.
>>
NORTH CAROLINA HERE.

PLEASE BUMP US DOWN TO A 2.

LITERALLY ONLY THE WEST HAS ANYTHING /OUT/ WORTHWHILE
>>
File: popdensity_small.gif (113KB, 750x473px) Image search: [Google]
popdensity_small.gif
113KB, 750x473px
>>827102
>one has the extremes of nature and one has the age of nature
What does this even mean? The west definitely has more extremes, but also has more old growth forest. The west is home to the oldest trees in the world. California alone has the second oldest tree known to man as well as the oldest non-clonal trees. What exactly do you mean when you say the east coast has the "age of nature."

The main thing that the East coast has is a spread out population which divides the landscape. The west has more concentrated population centers which allows for large wilderness areas with extremely low population densities.

Hiking the PCT makes the AT feel like an afternoon in Central Park.
>>
>>827087
Where you at Mainebro?
>>
>>827118
>tfw the CDT never gets any love
>>
>>827072
>northeast
>amazing skiing
Kek
>>
>>827228
I'm in standish. Which is the closest place I could afford near portland.
>>
>>826850

http://tpwd.texas.gov/
>>
New York should be higher just from the Adirondacks alone
>>
>>827366

You need to leave your state and explore the U.D. if you think that pocket range is anything special. Think of someone who wants to go /out/ using the map as a guideline as to what state to visit first. Do you really think benign mountains within a 160 mi area are really worth it to bump NY up one more point? Have you even been to the Rockies? The mountains of the West dwarf anything in your area, both in scope and beauty.
>>
File: tumblr_nwbnjgSasI1sbqrlmo5_400.jpg (15KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwbnjgSasI1sbqrlmo5_400.jpg
15KB, 400x200px
>new Hampshire
>5
>>
>>826661
>You are either intentionally trying to be an ass about east coast states or you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Anon is correct on this point.
>>
>>827094
>hurr durr look at these stats
Yeah, that's totally how you determine how great an /out/ing spot is. Have you actually ever been anywhere or do you just sit on your computer and pretend like you do?
>>
OP here, just scanning back through, doesn't look like there's been much valuable input for the last day or so. Reminder that if
-you are upset that your home state isn't a 10
-post a stock image (I only assume people who do this have just never been outdoors or they would have their own pics)
-imply there is somehow a "bias" (I'm an adult and travel freely thoughout the states, just like any other outdoorsman. Where a state border is or where it is geographically is irrelevant, only the quality of what's inside matters. Grow up and stop thinking this is a competition for who was born in the best state and never moved)
Your post will be ignored

So far I'm still thinking
Michigan +1
Arizona I'm on the fence about
Tennessee needs more input
I think a 5 for South Dakota may be too high, most of the public land is Indian reservation
I could entertain bumping Texas to a two, let's see some pics from anon's trips around the state
>>
>>827478

Not that guy, but the amount of territory you can go /out/ in and diversity of that territory would be a considerable factor in this sort of rating. Because New Hampshire is relatively small (despite being a very nice state) it would make sense to give it a considerably lower rating than a more diverse state with exponentially larger wilderness areas.

By no means are either of us saying New Hampshire is bad and disgusting place, its just that in comparison to other western states it lags in those key areas.
>>
>>826576
>not pictured: 800k mosquitos, black flies, ticks, and enough west nile to take out half of africa

Florida is SHIT.
>>
Rocky Mountains bored and raised here

Stop shitting on the east you insufferable cunts. Sure their mountains aren't as tall or majestic but they're beautiful in their own way.
>>
>>827549
*born
Durrr
>>
Alaska's overrated, I used to live there

Buggy and hot in the summer, 80% of the state is flat bogs and taiga with no roads, winter sucks to do anything because there's so little daylight and it's too damn cold

Wrangell-St. Elias, Denali, and the south/southeast coasts are nice though
>>
New hampshire has some neat /out/ stuff but it's all concentrated in the white mountains, if theres any NE states that should be bumped up it's Maine due to the North Woods. It's not public land but the vast majority of it is owned by timber companies and the the only sign of civilzation are the skidder roads, some of which have been abandoned for decades.

this is coming from a masshole btw. No reason Maine should't have the highest ranking on the East Coast.
>>
>>827549
>>827549
>>827549
You need to check out that map. East coast sucks. OP's #'s prove it. There are no mountains, skiing, caves, forests, waterways, or public land. There is no federal land at all and there are to many roads. You can't hike for more than 15 minutes without having to cross a road. All east coast states are the same.

If you think >they're beautiful in their own way
it's like comparing the nipples on a flat girl compared to the breasts of a real woman.
>>
>>826982
You left out the Coronado national forest, mount Lemmon, the sky islands, superstition wilderness, painted desert, antelope canyon, salt river, saguaro national park, lots of desert quad/biking spots, 4 peaks, rock climbing near superior AZ, apache trail . There's a lot of cool outdoor opportunities that aren't in our main strip of forests, I dont think you give us enough credit.
>>
>>827309
Standish isn't bad. Finished up highschool in windham a few years ago. Born and raised in Millinocket, it's heaven up there dude. Not much work though, southern maine is a little more feasible for living.
>>
>>825872
Utah is just superior in every way tough luck kiddo
>>
>>827565
2016: Never heard of the Smokey Mountains
>>
>>825865
Shame that the local politicians are hell bent on destroying all three.
>>
>>827080
>Subaru Outback
VT here, that's the in state car. Out of staters drive Fords, civics, and BMWs.
>>
>>827515
I'm still wondering who made you the be all end all? Several people have asked for your credentials and I haven't seen anything remotely resembling them.
Care to weigh in on what makes your opinion valid and everyone else's less valid?
>>
>>827710
Where was it implied that I was the end all be all? I made a rough map and opened the thread to input. I'm obviously not going to consider input from people who are emotional about their own state for reasons stated above. If people make good, concise posts about any state their input will be used to adjust the map, simple as that. Do you have anything to say about any states you've spent time in the outdoors in?
>>
>>825865
>people actually think this
>>
>>825910
>calling people communists

lol okay kiddo
>>
>>825999
trips, utah is pretty awesome
>>
>>826048
those little mountains are cute. it's like they're trying to be real mountains
>>
>>825993
>instead of using your knowledge to share your clearly informed opinions elegantly
A person (or that old dude) would be better off making their own map rather than arguing about your personal interpretation. You claim it's not arbitrary, but the qualifiers are exceptionally limiting. You're judging entire states by variety for example, but you're comparing the massive Texas and California to tiny east coast states. How does that measure out? And accessibility is kind of silly. You either have a big city adjacent to a wilderness area or you don't. And beyond that, that would automatically give smaller states a boost right? Because driving 8 hours across larger states isn't necessarily "accessible." Every area has an access point. How are you judging that? Number of access points, near a large city, tourist buses to location, what? Amount of public land heavily, heavily favors the west. I'm biased (west is best), but that's a shit qualifier when comparing the entire nation. Also, does public land include state or just federal lands? Does the wilderness have to be a certain size (if you're just looking at a map) or did you break down percentages or something?

I dunno, it just seems as silly and arbitrary as almost every thread in this direction is. And if comes to the same conclusions. If we wanted to know California was popular, we could have just pulled our heads out of our asses and noted the (repetitive) obvious.
>>
>>826206
i've only really spent time in northern new mexico but what i've seen it deserves at least +1
>>
>>826086
865 here, I haven't had much luck all though I've been to all the meme waterfalls and state parks. What do you recommend?

Also everywhere has gotten so popular this past year. Everywherr I go has tons of loud minorities for whatever reason.
>>
>>827026
>moving TO Indiana

You fucked up man, you are really deserving of everything that will never happen in your life.
>>
>>825786
>New England so low
Vermont, NH and Maine are pretty /out/
>>
trouver le 7 et vous serez embrasser en 11 jours 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111711111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111Trouvez le § et vous aurez une bonne chance VHA pendant 2 ans.ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss§sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss***FAITES UN VOEUX***Trouvez le u et votre vœux sera réaliser. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvReposte ceci sur 9 autres photos et tout va se réaliser .....Ignorer et vous n'aurai pas de chance pendant 9ansv
>>
>>827837
>>826579
>he prefers entry level west coast
east coast mountains are patrician as fuck. Ten times the age of the babbies you get in the west and much more technical.
>>
>>826212
there's some decent climbing in upstate but it's mostly hills.

>>826228
>>826219
that's not that much terrain difference

>>826359
it's got red river gorge, i've thought of travlin' down to hickville just to climb there.

>>826500
>We've got interconnected state forest, park and gameland about the size of Yellowstone NP

yea and by the looks of this >>826464 it's your only park.

>>826518
again, might go to hickville, but there's nothing else to do there after you climb.

>>826666
it's flat

>>826676
yo beaches are nasty

>>827072
>New Hampshire is at least a 7. Downhill MTB there is god tier. Skiing,hiking and canoeing is amazing as well.
>skiing
lol

>>827584
sounds like +1 material
> lots of desert quad/biking spots
for the record that's not a real /out/ activity
>>
>>827847
>Ten times the age of the babbies you get in the west

yeah they look a little over the hill

*da dum tss*
>>
>>827847
>more technical.

pffftahaha
>>
>>827705
Worked in brattleboro for a bit. Definitely your state car, very fitting.
>>
>>827845
Found the Quebecois
>>
>>827515
>Tennessee
the whole right side of the state is mountains. with lots of forestry stuff to do.. it also has the famous Tail of the Dragon. basically a really twisty road, motorcyclist LOVE. I'd say that's pretty /out/tier also TN has lean gunlaws, and firework laws, that gets you /out/doors too.
>>
>>827847
>technical

by that do you mean its covered by suburbs?
>>
>>827886
Nah he means flattened to strip mine coal
>>
>>826122
>it has by far the most diverse ecology of any state.

That's California
>>
File: 6756546546544554.png (185KB, 1553x1202px) Image search: [Google]
6756546546544554.png
185KB, 1553x1202px
>>825786

fixed for you so that everyone is happy :^)
>>
>>827893
This is an outrage, <my state> is clearly better than <other state>
>>
>>827881
Where in Brattleboro?
We might have run into eachother.
>>
>>827893

Please remove a zero from Maine.
>>
File: alafia1-0.jpg (229KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
alafia1-0.jpg
229KB, 1200x900px
>>825823
Michigan definitely should be significantly higher. UP, dunes, ski resorts, mad fishing/boating opportunities, water effing everywhere w/lots of public (camping type) parks.

NC could be one higher or so. Has crazy variety. Is the only state in the east that has GREAT mtns (has highest peaks and ski slopes in the east) along with great beaches. VA is the only other that comes close. NC also has mad outdoor opportunities that aren't all necessarily included in that map of federal and other lands. And with the SW tip sticking so far over by TN/GA, that whole portion has even a high amount of diversity compared to the NW mountains. It's lit. Also US Natl Whitewater Center in Charlotte. Plus lots of awesome falls/swimming holes/tubing rivers. One thing though is that it's hard to find any decent land to hunt on, especially public. So much decent hunting land is private.

Lastly, Florida should go 7 or 8. Beaches, swamps, springs, watering holes, swimming with manatees, boating between islands, great parks for camping, as well as some serious mountain biking (hard to believe, I know). Plus some of the best dirt biking in the SE, much of it public. Look up Croom.

Pic is Alafia River State Park in FL
>>
>>825786
Tennessee should be a 3 at least you faggot
>>
>>827901
Op is retarf
>>
>>827884
This
>>
>>827884
Should be 5+or-1
>>
>>827900
>Lastly, Florida should go 7 or 8. Beaches, swamps, springs, watering holes, swimming with manatees, boating between islands, great parks for camping, as well as some serious mountain biking (hard to believe, I know). Plus some of the best dirt biking in the SE, much of it public. Look up Croom.

As someone who is native to central and south Florida.. Florida is good where its at, at a four. [even then I'd rate it too high]
>>
>>827905
W/o any justification....
>>
>>827080

ITT Mainers try to justify living in the blandest state in the US
>>
>>827535

Leave your room and you'll discover that other insects exist other than the maggot you call a dick
>>
>>826086
TN is very beautiful

>>826576
This!!
Florida is pretty incredible, varies greatly from one end to the others, and offers a lot to see and do. Ive only explored so much and i get /out/ a lot

>>826773
Its not our fault you dont appreciate nature. The swamps are very biodiverse and home to some rare creatures you wont see anywhere else in the us
>>
File: 2016-08-02 06.55.53.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-02 06.55.53.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>827585
It a stepping stone. In about 3 years I'm going to buy some woods and live there mortgage free. Preferably south of Bangor because I like having that extra month of summer.
>>
op is retarded
>>
Alaskan here, looks good OP good job
>>
Cali isnt high enough, should be a 10
Fix that OP
>>
Quitcherbiatchin east coasters
West is best, fuck the rest
>>
Everyone going on about how great Maine is. Massachusetts has more public land that Maine
6.3 vs 5.7%
>>
I'm headed to California for the weekend. We're going to be at Big Sur.
Does anybody have any updates?
>>
>>825786
Hey OP, can you tell us what your qualifications are in making this map? Do you have any /out/ experience?
How old are you?
What is your home state?
Which states have you lived in?
Which states have you /out/ed in?
What activities do you enjoy and what is your level in each of these?
>>
As always OP is a faggot
>>
>>825786
Hawaii is a 6?????????????
A fucking 6? World's best waves. ALL 10 ecozones.

OP is fucking retarded
>>
>>828003
1 detected
>>
Your map is fucked
>>
>>825786
Can somebody explain how a state that is constantly plagued with wildfires and has no lakes or rivers due to a drought can rate 8?
>>
>>828005
The gaydar is strong in this anon
>>
>>825786
OP would you care to comment on your rating for each state as just a number is rather arbitrary?
I really don't agree with 80% but don't feel I should take time to comment without having a starting point to retort.
>>
>>827999
Mass is a third the size of maine you stupid masshole.
>>
>>828024
I'm not a masshole, did you not read the rules? You can't advocate for your own state. I was simply pointing out that percentagewise MA is better than ME and Maine should have a lower rating.

Cali is more than 50% public you stupid fuck
>>
>>828024
So what does Maine have?
Katahdin/Baxter?
Acadia?
Sebago region?
Rangley?
Sunday River?
Sugarloaf?
Some pine woods.
Anything I missed?
>>
>>827895
Did some work at the super 8 on Putney rd a few years back.

>>827930
>Iowa
>Kansas

>>827955
Good call. North of Bangor shit gets pretty real in the winter. Definitely squeeze out some more time a little south. Check out west too, like Eustis area.
>>
>>825786
>I have created a map to decide once and for all
and you are?
What makes your opinion more valuable?
>>
>>828036
Moosehead?

There a ton of island that almost no one camps.on for some reason. I camp a 5 minute boat ride from portland and never see a soul.
>>
Millennial rating scale
State I was born in and never left: 10
State I went on a family camping trip to when I was 12: 9
Any state with at least one tree in it : 8
State that a poster from an anime imageboard that was mean to me lives in: 0

Pretty sad, I understand you are a generation that expects to be rewarded for doing nothing in every facet of your life, but keep that shit out of threads like these.
>>
>>828134
Sorry sir I'll get off your lawn right away
>>
>>825786
>Creating a map of best outdoor states and not having a 10
>Being this retarded
>>
>>828140
>or having 0
Srsly, like any state could hae 0 attributes whatsoever.
I'm guessing OP is inbred or a trust fund baby. Leaning towards the latter, speaks like 17 prep schoolie
>>
>>828140
>>828143
See
>>827893
>>828134
>>
I think the criteria for scoring needs to be more rigidly defined, so there's more of an objective standard to compare each state too. Would solve a lot of the bitching
>>
>>828145
>criteria for scoring
I, and several others, have requested this from OP.
OP ignores those requests because they will blow holes in his random opinions.
>>
>>828169
I think it'd be better to scrap this thread and retry another time with some more thought lol, I feel like a spreadsheet would be necessary to do it thoroughly
>>
>>828143
You're right. 0 is equally as idiotic.
>>
>>828145
How about some combination of
>population density
>total area of state and federal lands
>total area above 7000'
>number of lakes over 10 acres
>miles of river
>total forested area
>bonuses for nice weather and diverse seasons
>>
>>828177
This thread has been days of entertainment. I'm glad he made it.
>>
Unlike ops bait map. Here's a map that is actually useful:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/02/how-to-visit-nearly-every-national-park-in-one-epic-road-trip/
>>
>>828244
>how to avoid actually going /out/ and go to pre-approved special hiking theme parks full of fat tourists, that you have to pay for
Sounds great, but this map is for the best /out/ states, you know for people that go outdoors.
>>
>>828252
Except for the part where Ops map is useless bait. The methodological problems have been pointed out throughout the thread. Op has provided a map of Department of Interior controlled land - not the 'best' out experience. Bait is bait.
>>
>>828262
>it's unfair because states that have huge swathes of unspoiled wilderness that you have complete freedom in got a higher score!
For how "unfair" and "bait" the map is you would think people could actually make some valid points about the states that supposedly have undeserving scores, rather than try to casually dismiss the map because they are upset their state didn't "win." That of course won't happen though, if the map was truly inaccurate or aimed to be troll bait people wouldn't be getting upset about it.
>>
>>828036
amazing island camping/ kayaking
Acadia
great white water
lots of lakes

if montana is a 8 than maine is at least a 6.
the fact that NH is rated of Maine and Vermont on this is absurd. Im going to the north east kingdom VT this weekend on the Canadian border. ill bring back proof that you are under ranking Vermont.

this shit is so baised to the west coast. have you not seen any of the Appalachian trial? i would drop Idaho to an 5 and raise NY to a 4 (Adirondacks are really nice) and bump mass to a 3.
>>
>>826348
is that real?
>>
>>828268
I was really underwhelmed with Acadia NP when I went there. Definitely a nice place to spend some time, but you'd think it'd be nicer by the way Mainer's talk about it.
>>
>>825786
I feel like Oregon deservesa bump up if for no other reason than the fact that you can watch the sun rise on the coast, go skiing, hike innwoods, and stargaze in the desert all in one day if you were so ambitious.
>>
>>828267
>huge swathes of unspoiled wilderness that you have complete freedom
And who is to say that proximity and access aren't important factors in measuring "Best". You've made your biases known - good for you - now learn to fucking listen and you might make something useful.
>>
>>828284
>watch the sun rise on the coast
>the west coast
Please don't breed
>>
>>828310
It's very accessible in the west, there are shit tons of roads everywhere
>>
>>828340
Than anon probably thinks "accessible" means it's 10 minutes from the suburbs.
>>
>>825786
>Nebraska 0
the badlands are pretty nice if you don't mind lack of vegetation
>>
>>825786
>I have created a map to decide once and for all which are the best /out/ states.
This will entirely depend on what you want to do while out. Hiking, backpacking, anything using vehicles, freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, spearfishing, canoeing, rafting, kayaking, hunting and any of the permutations of the above as well as what climate you want to do each of those in is entirely subjective.
A much, much more useful project would be a wiki or guide where people from each state could list what can be done in the state, the locations and steps to do things (like getting a map for logging land, gear needed) and including things like cost and climate that differs from state to state.
This project as is seems pretty useless.
>official /out/
Ahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>826855
>and its fresh water so its better for literally anything you would want to do on it
Not spear fishing.
>>
>>827035
He didn't.
>>
>>827826
>Where was it implied that I was the end all be all?
NHB, pic
>official
There's very little point to this thread desu.
>>
>>828282
Acadia is pretty much shit other than Cadillac and that one awesome trail I can't recall that has rungs and ladders and wires. Well not shit but it's a National Park.
There is a chitload of great land, coast, etc on MDI and around Acadia.

That said, if only going to Maine once in your life I'd recommend it.
>>
>>828313
I can watch the sun set over the ocean on the east coast where I live.
>>
>>828355
Somebody with actual intelligence.
>>
>>828360
He did right here
>>825941
>>
>>828369
Cool.
>>
>>828369
Oregon's coast doesn't work like that
>>
>>827072
>Mt Greylock
>AT
>Thunder Mountain bike park
>State forests
>tiny ski areas for comfy vibes (worked at Otis Ridge, skied Catamount and Butternut a lot)
>jiminy peak for slightly longer runs
>VT is close anyway

I moved west to Utah but I still have a lot of love for MA
>>
>>826165
Your post proves the post you replied to wasn't ignored. LOL

>>826850
So let's face the harsh reality that nobody has even come close to approaching in this thread. Ownership of land does not prove its beauty. Just because the government does not own the land does not make it any less beautiful. True, much of the land in Texas is owned by private parties. This does not negate its natural beauty though. Much of this land is still accessible by the public at little to no cost. It's a matter of semantics, nature does not recognize government ownership or public availability. Also, land size is meaningless when there are many smaller parks all worth visiting. Some beautiful natural monuments are contained within a few square miles. Does that make them less beautiful? Obviously not, get your priorities straight. Pic related, a privately owned cavern.

>>826983
Thank you.

>>827889
lol 2/10 made me reply

srsly tho cali is pretty decent for its coasts and redwoods alone, I'm just arguing that standards of beauty held from a western perspective are not necessarily applicable to the rest of the US and therefore OP's statistics are meaningless. It's called cultural relativism and it's blatantly paraded by far too many these days in all aspects of life, obviously this thread proves that "naturalists" are no different. Quite sad really. Not saying CA is not beautiful, just that other states are, too.
>>
>>827897
4 reel tho, this is a no brainer

fucking maple syrup
>>
>>828368
Thinking of the Precipice?

Acadia is pretty but it's pretty crowded and the views from the mountains are often of Bar Harbor. Something about seeing a cruise ship docked in the bay takes away from the scenery. I think it's prettier the farther downeast you go. Lubec is great and not crowded. Also Jackman is where I want to build my home.
>>
>>828313
Didn't say it was over the ocean, now did I?
>>
>>828380
>>825941
oi vei,
that is not OP, that is me and OP shot me down ffs.
Apparently I don't know enough about /out/
>>
>>828428
>Precipice
Booyah thank you. Love that trail. 1st time I did it I stood in front of the warning sign to block it so my GF didn't bail.
Another time I forgot water. That kinda sucked but still great.
Green apples and brie on the top.
>>
>>828344
Or, if you knew a fucking thing about qualitative research it might help resolve the bias his map shows for empty barren land mass in the West. Isle Royale, The Evergaldes, Smokey Mountains, Daniel Boone NF, Shenandoah, Dolly Sods, and so many more Eastern locations are incredible /out/ experiences. Yet, the map seems to indicate that everything in the West is qualitatively better. How is that?
>>
>itt butthurt crybabies

Why don't you make like a tree and grow up.
>>
>>828556
Does the map say everything west of the Mississippi is a 0? I think if anything the scores for the East coast are too generous.
>>
>>827080
This one hit close to home i have a subaru outback L.L bean edition. but florida in my opinion is overall bland. it has its high points near the springs. but overall hiking isnt the same as in north carolina. Havent been to Maine though so i cant comment
>>
File: 1468537317286.png (106KB, 264x294px) Image search: [Google]
1468537317286.png
106KB, 264x294px
>>825786
.>Missouri 3 even though its just Illinois Version 0.5
>Wisconson only a 4
>Oklahoma a 0
>Missouri on par with North Dakota

What?
>>
Maine is shilling so hard in this thread

[spoiler]And I love it[/spoiler]
>>
>>828268
>drop Idaho to a 5

holy shit this ignorance
>>
>>828134
okay grandpa
>>
File: IMG_20150824_175309.jpg (5MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150824_175309.jpg
5MB, 3120x4160px
>>827839
Armyfag here. Freaking hate NM. So bland and boring. Arizona is better in everyway. It's like they gave all the good land to Arizona.
>>
>>828618
what part of maine friendo

augusta area here.

>tfw haven't hiked katahdin
>>
>>828662
>armyfag

opinion disregarded
>>
>>828710
The point I'm trying to convey is that being forced to live somewhere and without being biased because I don't come from that area, I can appreciate how shitty it is.
>>
>>825786
Arkansas should be higher. They have pretty much everything but snowcaps. Some of the cleanest rivers in the USA.
>>
>>828892
what part of new mexico were you in? i mean for the most part it is all desert.
>>
File: IMG_20151107_163407.jpg (5MB, 3040x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151107_163407.jpg
5MB, 3040x4096px
>>829332
Las Cruces/Alamagordo, near white sands. I traveled to many places including Santa Fe and ABQ. Only place I liked and would go /out/ was in Cloudcroft
>>
>>826359
Southwesterner here who just spent the last week and a half in Kentucky. Had a chance to visit both the Red River Gorge, and Mammoth Caves, and I think it deserves a higher score.
>>
>>829414
albuquerque has some sweet climbing, white sands has a military base near by and is packed, santa fe is to rich for me. check out chaco canyon and bisti bandlands

>>829425
still hickville
>>
>>828442
That's exactly what you implied
>>
>>829467
I've been to Chacon Canyon (and other natural tourist areas like Carlsbad and Elephant Butte) but not that other place you mentioned. Looking at pictures it's looks interesting enough. I just don't think anyone can rate NM just as good as AZ. If you like the desert you should love NM but there isn't much else. The largest lake , Elephant Butte, is pretty small AND it's a man made cesspit.
Thread posts: 272
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.