[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate to start another thread about gear but my questions n

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 61Sz3yTTxhL._UY700_.jpg (32KB, 512x700px) Image search: [Google]
61Sz3yTTxhL._UY700_.jpg
32KB, 512x700px
I hate to start another thread about gear but my questions never get answered.

Im looking to buy a new winter jacket. The only ones I have are for construction and just walking around town.

I remember when I was a kid everyone just wore snowboarding jackets because that was the thing. But I've been reading up and doing some research and I'm definitely ready to buy one while the prices are right. I've found a few that I like but they look so thin and incapable of keeping me warm but all the reviews say otherwise.

What do you guys think? I live in the northeast.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B0OZDBK/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=12ZDSQS2NG1RI&coliid=I3Q8AF2HAQ9KD6&vs=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01949BLBY/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=12ZDSQS2NG1RI&coliid=IRUAACACHVZU0&vs=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HHCINH6/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_3?colid=12ZDSQS2NG1RI&coliid=IMOS3UUG0WQ8V&vs=1
>>
>>823208
Layers mang, layers.

Winter jackets suck balls so much unless you are in really, really cold conditions and not doing any strenuous activity.

That being said, I have 3 heavy winter jackets. 2 snowboard-type jackets that are nice because they are warm but not overly restrictive and a hoodie under them will hold up to the coldest I encounter. And then a Columbia jacket (which /out/ hates) that has a fleece liner with a waterproof shell deal. The Columbia jacket just gets too warm once you start moving even if it is -10F while a hoodie and the snowboarding jackets will do fine at those temps but if I get warm I can just go down to the hoodie for a bit or take the hoodie off and do jacket only.
>>
Layer in the winter. Hardshell for keeping moisture out.
>>
find something with a removable liner / hood / fur collar; good brands include canada goose and barbour
makes it a lot more versatile
if you aren't willing to put up the money for a jacket like that, a cheap but fantastic winter jacket is woolrich's blanket lined (translation: heavy) mountain parka
and they are on sale right now
>>
I have a Marmot down jacket I got on sale and when it's wet out I put on a TNF shell I got at a consignment store. It's pretty cozy. Your best bet is to layer up like >>823318 and >>823334 said.
>>
I know how to layer. I actually have a decent system that works for me but I want a jacket that will keep me warm and dry if let's say a squall does happen while I'm mountainside.

I really want a CG but I've heard they're almost too warm and I do run warm while active so I'd be shedding the coat more than wearing it.

A shell would be great but I don't want to have to layer up if I'm walking my dog or going down the street for some beer.

Im just picky when I pick gear because I want nice shit and I have to save because I don't have a lot of disposable cash and I've always been ill equipped in the cold even though funny enough I live in the great North East.

Also I'm really trying to stay away from military style stuff. I appreciate the advice so far. Clothes are my one big area where I lack knowledge. I usually just wear what I have because it's comfortable and I'm poor lol.
>>
>>823844
You underestimate how warm a good hoodie and shell can be.
>>
Cathartic boyo
>>
>>823847
Ya know, you may be right. Except hoodies typically are made from cotton.

And at best they're fleece lined. I have a nice milspec base layer that is actually wicked fucking warm on its own, a fleece for mid layer and nothing for an outer layer. A shell would be nice but I can't find anything I like. Used to have a North Face one but it would sweat a lot and my under layers would be clammy.

And we do get a lot of snow in the mountains. Do you think a hoodie and she'll would cut it I'd I did somehow become stranded? Not being a douche just asking a legitimate question.

What do you guys use? Show me something. I would really like to know how you stay warm in a blizzard because sure as shit that's what I'll be hiking in.

My next step will be a shelter so if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.

You guys are awesome. Thank you. I know I'm just being ridiculous but I just want to make sure I get something that will do its job to the fullest and not break in the worst of times.
>>
>>823850
What?
>>
>>823873
methinks the idiot meant to spell Carhartt, the garden variety jacket that probably isn't anything close to what OP was asking about, but he decided to shitpost anyways.
>>
>>823877
Ah. Ya know. I have nothing bad to say about them. Not my favorite but they have kept me warm and dry on winter job sites. I just hate the ridiculous bulkiness of them.
>>
>>823872
Hoodies can be useful, but most are worthless in terms of being comfy in the wet and cold because- as you mentioned- >cotton
I do have a hoodie tho. It's a mountain hardware hoodie, full zip front, slimish fit and a deep hood. It's mostly standard wool (not merino or any of that kind of thing) and like 3-5% something synthetic. I like the blend because it wears hard and doesn't shrink, worn it pretty regularly few years now and it still looks new. It's pretty much all I need if I'm working outside- coupled with a shell- down to about 20F. That said, I tend to tolerate cold better than others. YMMV.

For me, adequate ventilation is key. Layer what you like, but make sure you can tear open some zippers/buttons quickly to lower your temp and not sweat. Some sweat is fine, and pretty much unavoidable if you're working or doing active shit, but becoming more sensitive to it and being able to quickly adjust your gear makes all the difference.

For what its worth, I've got an Arcteryx shell. Prolly wouldn't buy it again because it's nice, but it's not $300 more than say a Marmot or OR nice.
>>
>>823887
What's the hoodie my friend? You sound like me so this could be useful. I'd say up here dead of winter we get on average about 10 degrees F. In the mountains a bit cooler. 20 sounds reasonable on good days.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.