[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping Breakfeast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 25

File: shutterstock_70035391.jpg (21KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_70035391.jpg
21KB, 300x200px
Hey /out/ Got a 3 day hike coming up. Looking for some easy light weight breakfast ideas. Also has anyone had experience bringing eggs on a trip like this? Are they good to not be refrigerated for so long?
>>
You can have lightweight or you can have eggs. Personally on a three day hike I'll have a very heavy breakfast the first morning with corned beef hash and eggs, but there are decent freeze dried solutions also. Have fun!
>>
>>821429
I hunt with a guy who assures me that if he doesn't have eggs for breakfast he will die. So I have watched him haul a dozen or so eggs up many mountains many times and he gets by ok.

There is no real need to refrigerate eggs. They'll last slightly longer if you do but there would be no detectable difference over a 3 day hike. My buddy eats them after a week in his pack and they've never put his guts in a bad way.
>>
>>821429
Eggs don't need to be refrigerated at all, ever. They don't even last longer when refrigerated. You can keep them for weeks.
>>
>>821431
>>821434
>>821437

Thanks for the info guys!

Anyone else got any cool recipes in general?
>>
>>821429
>>821439
Pretty much anything you normally eat.

If you have a food dehydrator you can dehydrate tons of stuff and rehydrate/cook it on the trail. It makes for light pack weight. Stuff to make and flavor biscuits is always really nice. If you need butter and will be out for very long you can just bring ghee instead.
>>
File: Optimized-0724161111a.jpg (204KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Optimized-0724161111a.jpg
204KB, 800x450px
>>821454
You can keep butter unrefridgerated my friend. Just keep it in a zip lock bag and you're golden.

Don't know if you have a trader joes around you OP but they make a Madras Lentil that is killer. It's like a chili that comes in a heat able pouch and it's only like two bucks. That shit would be tasty on some hash Browns or even over eggs. And it doesn't take up any room really.
>>
>>821439
>eggs
Try to get them farm fresh. They have natural antibacterial coating on them. Store bought eggs get washed.
>>
>>821517
>antibacterial coating
yeah, the chicken's assgrease
>>
>>821520
>chicken's assgrease
another failure from the public school system.
>>
File: Anatomy_of_an_egg_labeled_464px.jpg (111KB, 464x291px) Image search: [Google]
Anatomy_of_an_egg_labeled_464px.jpg
111KB, 464x291px
>>821520
>>821517
It is called "cuticle" and is applied to the egg surface just before it is laid.
>>
>>821554
>>821550
yeah just like my ass "applies" assgrease as i'm pushing out a pooh
>>
File: Untitled.png (39KB, 951x456px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
39KB, 951x456px
>>821557
>>821520
>>
>>821554
yes, if you have your own chickens and you get unfertilized eggs from your hens you can let them sit on the counter in your house for weeks unrefrigerated if you do not wash them. once you wash them thoroughly you tend to take the cuticle off and they are better off in the fridge

That said I always refrigerate them anyway, but just sayin'....

regular eggs (not true free range eggs) make me physically sick anymore. i can put away normal free range eggs all day and feel great.

I have egg powder sitting around in cans that i got super cheap for SHTF and it has been sitting on the shelf for 16 years. Not planning on eating it unless emergency. Eating it may cause the emergency in itself.

But fresh egg powder would be lightweight , don't know if it would taste good though.
>>
File: 20130504_191751.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20130504_191751.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>821429
>Also has anyone had experience bringing eggs on a trip like this? Are they good to not be refrigerated for so long?

Eggs will stay fresh at room temp for about a week. Buy farm eggs from roadside stand and they'll be sure to be good. I bring them on most trips- 2 per person per day- either raw or hardboiled. They're high protein and fat per ounce and generally a great item to have, don't let the fragility aspect dissuade you.

Another great breakfast item.... SPAM. It is disgusting cold from a can but when you slice it into 1/2" thick slabs and sear them over an open fire it is a thing of beauty. My gf thought it was disgusting until trying it, now she raves about it. Definitely bring 1 Spam container per 3 people per day.

My other go-to breakfast items are oatmeal, with dried cranberries and roasted almonds. Take packets or just a few ziplock baggies of the quick oatmeal kine. Boil some water and pout it onto the oatmeal in separate bowls, or make a big batch in a pot. Add the cranberries, nuts and some brown sugar and you're good. It's delicious. And along with a couple eggs plus a slice of spam you have an amazing breakfast.

Very important additions: evaporated milk, butter (no it won't spoil at room temp, like the eggs), brown sugar, salt.

For coffee I like individual packets of Folgers Columbian instant coffee. Evaporated milk and sugar are key here. It is almost as good as regular coffee at home. Almost.

That's my take on camping breakfast. It is seriously THE most important meal to plan for. Nothing is better than a convenient, hot, delicious breakfast when you're freezing your ass off at 6AM innawoods. It makes the whole trip infinitely more enjoyable.

pic unrelated, that's dinner.
>>
File: store vs farm egg.jpg (93KB, 360x284px) Image search: [Google]
store vs farm egg.jpg
93KB, 360x284px
>>821655
>regular eggs (not true free range eggs) make me physically sick anymore.

Me too, dude....it actually pisses me off to think about. The shittiness of the eggs sold in stores makes me dry heave.

First time I ever bought a dozen true farm eggs (from a guy at work who raises hens) I was shocked by the difference. The yolk...it sits on top of the whites like an orange ping pong ball. Not a nutritionless blob of yellow that breaks if you look at it wrong. The egg shell itself is actually difficult to break, same with the yolk. Just can't put the difference into words. Buy roadside eggs, never buy store eggs-- even the brown ones in clear plastic containers- they're all the same garbage.
>>
>>821697
the sad truth is there is absolutely no difference in the nutritional value between those eggs. the egg yellow gets darker if the chicken is fed greens or i think carotene in case of industrial chicken. the color is no indicator whatsoever the food healthiness.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I eat eggs
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>821711
And mushrooms
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>821713
And berries
>>
>>821437
Is this article false?

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-heres-why-we-need-to-refrigerate-eggs-20140714-story.html
>>
>>821713
nice fresh cotw
>>
>>821437
depends on where you get your eggs from and if theyve been treated with everything.
>>
>>821705
>the sad truth is there is absolutely no difference in the nutritional value between those eggs. the egg yellow gets darker if the chicken is fed greens or i think carotene in case of industrial chicken. the color is no indicator whatsoever the food healthiness.

I highly doubt that. But regardless, the taste difference is the whole point, and it is incredible.
>>
>>821705
>absolutely no difference

To elaborate....the bland rubbery omelets you are used to are not what you get with farm eggs. They are rich and creamy. The yolk is not that runny tasteless crap from store bought eggs.
>>
>>821878
>creamy
>being used to describe things that are non-dairy
always makes me puke a little in the back of my throat
>>
>>821429
Fuggin love camp breakfast! Just the thread I didn't know I was looking for.
>>
>>821705
>the sad truth is there is absolutely no difference in the nutritional value between those eggs.

Except beta carotene is a vitamin that is part of what you need to eat to stay healthy and is a indicator of color in the egg. In fact, eggs from hen raised in pastures when compared to eggs from hens in commercial factory farms have:

1/3 less cholesterol
1/4 less saturated fat
2/3 more vitamin A
2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
3 times more vitamin E
7 times more beta carotene
>>
>>821880
>always makes me puke a little in the back of my throat

I've got something else creamy that's non dairy for you to try then. It's rich in protein :^)
>>
>>822235
Why the difference, diet?
>>
>>821429
The only time I remembered eating eggs innawoods was during field research, and there were about 15 of us, camping near forest reserve for a week

Obviously we carried a lot of things between us.
>>
File: breakfastOUT.jpg (961KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
breakfastOUT.jpg
961KB, 2592x1728px
Bought farm fresh eggs and sausage at a country store outside of Dolly Sods.
>>
>>822238
Of course.

They get all manner of things out and about. Various plants, insects, and animals.
>>
>>822237
Fuck off back to /b/ shitlord
>>
>>822343
>shitlord
Back to /tumblr/ faggot
>>
>>822356
Go back to shitfuck tumblord
>>
>>821434
I've noticed people will do the craziest shit outside just because it suits them. I knew a dude who would always hike in cowboy boots. He would walk miles and miles in cowboy boots and carry a big cast iron pan over crazy ass ledges. He never complained once.
>>
>>821688
>Folgers Columbian instant coffee

Bleh, tried that shit Saturday morning. It's not terrible but even k cups taste better
>>
>>821688
>cooking/heating in the original cans

Enjoy your plasticisers.
>>
>>822381
? ? ?
>>
>>822532
That brand has plastic lining the inside of the can. When they heat it for canning and when you cook/reheat in it, it leaches chemicals from the plastic into your food. Normally that is plasticisers, but other things also leech. Only a few of them have really been studied properly, the most famous being BPA. But, they are replacing that with other less-studied chemicals.
>>
>>822544
Gotcha, thanks. But why line it with plastic? Metal isn't going to leak food. Cans have been around before plastic was invented.
>>
>>822566
Metal rusts and you really don't want that in your food.. All cans are lined with plastic or enamel.
>>
File: vietnamese-coffee.jpg (30KB, 199x308px) Image search: [Google]
vietnamese-coffee.jpg
30KB, 199x308px
> instant coffee when he can do this instead
>>
>>822594
hmm guess that would work too.
>>
>>821437
Amerifats wash their eggs, thereby degrading the shell and requiring refrigeration. Most people recognize that you don't eat the fucking shell so washing it is the height of stupidity.
>>
File: 61j6QrAjSmL._SL256_.jpg (10KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
61j6QrAjSmL._SL256_.jpg
10KB, 256x192px
>>821688
>>822367
>>822594
>>822627

try folgers singles, super light weight but taste pretty good if you steep em longer
>>
>>822658
chickens are completely disgusting and contaminated from top to bottom. the outside of the eggs are covered in salmonella and e.coli and whateverthefuckelse. it's very easy, in a kitchen setting, to cross contaminate from handling the eggs. you grab and egg, then grab a tomatoe, and viola.
>>
File: WOODNECK-FILTER.jpg (173KB, 994x663px) Image search: [Google]
WOODNECK-FILTER.jpg
173KB, 994x663px
>>822676
>>822594
I have one of these (but metal handle not wood) that I picked up for $5 in Japan. Best thing I've ever used. Nice pour over coffee, bag is easy to wash, dries quickly, weighs next to nothing and can take a beating and it wont break.

Viet coffee is nice on the trail tho
>>
>>822685
nah, you're just a germaphobe.
>>
>>822685
I've been eating free range unwashed eggs for the better part of a decade and I have never had salmonella or e coli.
>>
>>822594
And then you can use the coarse grind as a mild abrasive to clean your pots and pans
>>
File: my jo camping.jpg (17KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
my jo camping.jpg
17KB, 450x450px
At Wal Mart, in the camping section, they sell a six eggs carrier. It will protect your eggs from going bad.

I also bring a bag of granola. The eggs plus granola make a pretty good breakfast.

I have never used the coffee singles. Those look like something that I am interested in trying. I am currently working too hard for my morning coffee. (I use a my Joe currently) pic related.
>>
File: 1468131015433.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468131015433.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Instant Quaker Oatmeal in packets.

Real Maple Syrup mixed in for extra calories.

If moving camp I like breakfast simple without much more thought than 'boil water' put in oatmeal.

There's 0 risk involved. Making a greasy breakfast can give you the shits.

As for coffee why bother with instant. Just drink good tea and eat a caffeine pill.

You can get steel french presses. That double as a your kettle. It just seems shitty to have a stupid device dedicated to just making coffee.
>>822838
>>822594

You can make one of these out of a bandana or hankerchief. Or you could just bring filters and just burn them afterwards.
>>822686

>>822830
>mfw
>>
>>822856
>Making a greasy breakfast can give you the shits

look at you with your bitchmade digestive system
>>
File: 1469089528585.jpg (174KB, 500x619px) Image search: [Google]
1469089528585.jpg
174KB, 500x619px
>>822856
>caffeine pill

You disgust me. Coffee is not just for the caffeine.
>>
>>822235
[citation needed]
>>
>>821429
break camp first, then.
cinnamon raisin bagel w/crunchy peanut butter.
cup of steaming hot coffee.
ready to hit the trail.
>>
>>823153

Coffee tastes fucking good and that's the reason I drink it,
>>
>>821429
>Are they good to not be refrigerated for so long?
I have 12 chickens, and refrigerate only part of the eggs. Rest I sold after 3-4 weeks to my friends. Never had any trouble. Even the cracked eggs can be fine for few days.
>>
>>823060
>being so much of a fatass that your body is perfectly fine with buckets of grease

okay
>>
>>824225
Did you have your gallbladder removed or you got a gallstone blocking it maybe ?
>>
>>823162
If you ever researched factory farming you wouldn't need a citation. I'm too lazy to look it up and give you a lin but I would say anon's figures are pretty reasonable guesses.
Factory farmed animals are over crowded, diseased, under nourished, etc, etc
>>
>>822238
Yeah, chickens that are farmed on an industrial are fed just enough to get them to lay the eggs, no more.
>>
File: 4636.jpg (869KB, 2256x1504px) Image search: [Google]
4636.jpg
869KB, 2256x1504px
>>821429
GORP. There is no better camping food than GORP.

Tastes good, it's lighweight as fuck ( standard mix should have around 500 kcal/100 gram), doesn't require any preparation whatsoever, lasts for months, lots of proteins, lots of good fats and vitamins.

You just can't beat it. If there is no GORP in your pack then you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>822685
Oh no! Not bacteria during my /out/. You prissy fuck.
Britfag. Unwashed egg straight from the chicken's arse all my life. Never had any issue.
>>
>>824253
You PETA propaganda?
>>
>>824266
Proof? Vs what? Overfeeding?
>>
>>824253
If anything they are overfed
>>
>>821878
I've seen at least three TV specials where professional chefs taste test farm fresh eggs vs factory and can't tell the difference. The flavor thing is absolute fucking bullshit. Much like all the yards who hear about gluten intolerance and then think they have it and feel better after not eating any more. When in reality they ate way too much to start with. Stop being a princess, faggot.
>>
>>821437
This.
Ive eaten eggs a month old and older. did not taste different
Ive got chickens and shit.
>>
>>824416
Have you taste tested?
The flavor and texture of farm vs factory are night and day.
>>
>>824466
Fuck bud even I saw the serious eats deal on it. Pretty thorough testing. No one could tell shit from shit
>>
>>824551
I am as sure as I can be about anything that this poster asked YOU if YOU have ever PERSONALLY taste tested.

Jesus that you are so ignorant to believe everything without any verification.

If I hosted a show where 7/7 people on the show said and "confirmed" the earth was actually a big Ox you would believe it. Fuck.
>>
>>824551
>>824466
>>824421
>>824416
>>824581
I raise chickens too.

I also don't smoke or eat lots of processed foods or candy/soda meant to overwhelm your taste buds. The reason I mention this is because after about 2-4 weeks of none of that stuff your taste becomes much better and you can discern flavors you never knew existed. Like those "bland" vegetables suddenly have tons of flavor. This may be a crucial point for people who are doing taste testing. It is the same type of thing a professional perfumer does; they protect their nose from strong odors for instance so they can better discern notes while on the job.

Well, I've done the side by side comparisons of store bought, same day home fresh, weeks old for both, comparisons between yolk colors/taste from various breeds of chickens, etc. You name it, I've taste tested it rigorously.

There's one thing you should note. The breed of chicken used in factory farms is normally not the same breeds used on home farms. Their eggs do taste different just between breeds. Like I have one breed that produces super red-orange yolk of a peculiar flavor while the rest are different in color and taste. Time if year and diet also play another role in flavor.

tl;dr, there is a great difference between all of these and it really doesn't matter too much, but the difference is there. I eat home raised for my health, no other reason.
>>
>>824551
>I saw
I didn't ask if you watched somebody being paid to render an opinion you fucktard.
I asked if YOU have ever tasted the difference.
I have and I am telling you if someone is saying there is no diff in taste and texture they are lying.
Nutritionally the farm eggs are leaps and bounds ahead.
>>
File: bialetti-moka-pot.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
bialetti-moka-pot.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
I cannot camp without good coffee. I have one of these percolators. Instant coffee is not coffee, it's just brown coffee flavoured water.
>>
>>824581
>>824593

Thank you for confirming that you were asking if HE has ever taste tested.

So much cognitive dissonance going on.

Birds are actually flying nuclear warheads, I saw it on TV.

Fuck life thankfully not everyone in life is this fucking retarded

>>824551
>>
>>822594
would u like some more cream ?
>>
>>824603
It's not cream, it's sweetened condensed milk
>>
theres great recipes for dehydrated eggs made with some polenta in it so it rehydrates to a very close egg consistency, throw some dehydrated ham and cheese in there your set!
>>
>>824593
Do a blind fucking taste test of every commercial egg and se free range.I get fucking dollars to donuts your stupid yuppie cunt can't tell the difference.
>>
>>824581
I actually raise my own laying hens, several breeds in fact. If I serve someone factory eggs and tell them they came from my hens they'll go on and in about how fucking great and I just kek. Then I tell them my hens are broody and aren't producing and they realize how fucking stupid they are. Just like you.
>>
>>822685
you could wash them before opening them ya' know.
>>
>>824779
>Do a blind fucking taste test of every commercial egg and se free range.I get fucking dollars to donuts your stupid yuppie cunt can't tell the difference.
I can tell the difference between free range and mass production every time. We get eggs from some family in town that has a big ass coup on their property and the yolks are like liquid gold. The chickens they sell are ten times tastier than the stuff sold in stores. We get free range organic beef from the local butcher and that is ten times tastier than store bought. We have locally raised duck and turkey and it's amazing . No comparison anon.
>>
>>824779
Are you a smoker?
>>
>>824592
But you didn't do it blindfolded did ya faggot.
>>
>>824898
Fuck no.
>>
>>824825
Bullshit.
>>
>>824780
Lol this. The restaurant I work in does the same. Same result
>>
>>821713
Been looking for these for years and haven't found a single one. People say they taste really good.
>>
>>824991
It is called a "double blind" not "blindfolded" you moron.
>>
ITT:
A bunch of fucktards who have never tried something lie about it and argue with fuckers that have.
eggies, wonderful smeggies.
I bet supermarket tomatoes taste better than ones from your garden too.
>>
File: dscn0045.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
dscn0045.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
>>825018
Doubtful since there's only 3 varieties in the supermarket (pithy roma VF1, watery slicer, hard skin cherry) and home gardens have access to 100s of varieties.
>>
>>825028
Not in THE supermarket, just YOUR supermarket you fucking idiot.
>>
>>825008
Actually no I quite literally mean blindfolded. Free range eggs are deeper yellow to orange and therefore are easier to spot. Jack ass. He could alternately dye them while scrambling but he's already made up his cuck mind.
>>
>>821429
obviously being /out/ can be a great time for gourmet cooking...increased appetite, great scenery, less distractions ,etc, but its also an opportunity for simple/reasonable meals.
if your putting miles under your belt, you'll soon discover that the more simple your meals are the better.
don't forget also that most problem animals are creatures of opportunity and the smell of food is a huge red flag to them.
so much discussion on /out/ is about people's fears of animal encounters.
from much personal experience on this matter i can safely say that the less they smell you the more likely you'll be problem free.
>>
>>825038
>>825039
Wow, so hateful for no reason at all. Sorry to have proven you wrong, kid. Enjoy your hugbox.
>>
>>825068
You've proven nothing.
>>
>>825095
There's literally no way in hell you will have anything proven against you. No matter what anyone says, you will curse, rant, rave, and be a contrarian little snot-nosed child. There's no reason to discuss anything with you.
>>
>>825096

Fuckin rekt
>>
>>825096
So our side wins? You're a sore loser. Faggot.
>>
>>824341
>GORP

I hate this word. I hate the way it sounds and the way it looks. Trail mix is much better imo
/autism

>>824416
>gluten intolerance
This is a food meme now. I don't know exactly when it started but now I see product labels all over the place stating gluten free.
>>
File: 1467415582386.jpg (11KB, 613x247px) Image search: [Google]
1467415582386.jpg
11KB, 613x247px
>>824600
Is pic related what you use?

>see comfy breakfast pic in catalog
>love comfy breakfasts, especially while /out/
>get a massive autistic argument about eggs
>>
>>825470
>>824600

Whoops, I meant is the pic of that percolator what you use. I need sleep.
>>
>>825467
>bread is quite literally the staple of western civilization
>gluten is bad now guise we swear
>>
>>825467
>I hate this word. I hate the way it sounds and the way it looks. Trail mix is much better imo
"GORP" usually means trail mix made with peanuts, raisins and M&M's. At least that's how I understand it, English is not my first language.

We call it "students' mix" where I live.
>>
>>825555
I call it fatboy mix

Seriously. Wtf are people doing eating junk like that as a primary food source? It should be treated as a treat and not something to be eaten over extended periods of time. At least remove the chocolate sugar coated shit so you've got based peanuts and raisins.
>>
>>824407
>PETA propaganda?
Fuck no, I'll ill & eat anything and damned near everything.
>>824413
>overfed
Possibly but it is shit feed and does not contain enough nutrients.
>>
>>825562
>Wtf are people doing eating junk like that as a primary food source?
Calories.

Imagine that sugar is a perfect source of those for hikes (or any other kind of extended physical effort for that matter) since it enters the bloodstream almost immedietaly.

It's not rare for hikers to eat chocolate all the time when they burn 5000 kcal every day.
>>
>>825584
Lol based on fucking what? Chicken feed is formulated to meet all their nutritional requirements. Shows right on the motherfucking bag you dumb cuck. I bet you hold your nose when you drive through the country. Hahahahahha get a load of this fag
>>
Easiest thing is to just put some eggs in an empty water bottle, out of the shell, and season them a bit in the bottle.

Grab a funnel and put in on top of the bottle, crack like 5 eggs in it, put the lid on the bottle and roll out.

They will be scrambled, but you cant be picky when camping anyway
>>
>>825587
>meet all their nutritional requirements
>right on the bag
So you are telling me that factory farms are buying top grade feed and they buy it in consumer sized bags complete with a nutritional label, right? Are you sure a tanker doesn't drop by and fill up a feed hopper?
I noticed that nutrional sticker on the bails of hay that were delivered on the flat bed as well.

Have you ever seen a fucking farm?
Have you ever seen a factory farm?

Oh wait, is this the same dipshit that "saw" a show where they told him that eggs tasted the same and he believed it?
>>
>>822544
While youre correct that all cans have a protective plastic lining, you dont need to fear them leaching into your food to that great of an extent. ALL canned foods undergo thermal sterilization in a retort to destroy 12 log cycles of any potential bacteria (99.9999999999% bacterium free). As such, the chosen plastic lininigs have to be resistant to high temperatures. Now, I dont have the typical temperature range the retorts operate at, nor the temp range of the plastic linings - BUT in this case, it is very feasible that cooking,directly over the fire might localize heat in certain spots in the can, and reach high enough temperatures to cause breakdown, leeching, and taint.

Also, theyre not,called plasticizers. Thats a whole other thing...

t. Food science grad student and #2 univ in the world
>>
File: egg_case.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
egg_case.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
>>821429
my personal recommendation is to get oatmeal and brown sugar into ziplock backs. you can also add a little powered milk in there.

>>822658
I wash eggs before use with soap to kill salmonella. Same with vegetables. You just never know and it does no harm.

I've brought eggs. get one of these container things and over 3 days you shouldn't really have problems. If you camp near a cold creek or something you can always sink them. In any case if you cook them properly your chances for becoming sick are pretty minimal.
>>
>>821520
Just about everything you eat is a fertilized ovum or has come from one.
>>
>>825733
I fertilized ur mom's ovum last night, faggot
>>
>>825694
You're an idiot. You actually wrote all that without knowing the most important information: temp range of retorts and temp range of plastic linings.

Drop out
>>
>>825743
That actually made me wince, given she's been dead for eleven years
>>
>>825768
Well it varies with type of food being canned. Low acid foods need processing at higher temperatures as opposed to acidic foods (i.e. tomato soup). This determines the type of plastic lining to be used. Similarly, homogeneous and hetergoneous canned foods have different thermal,processing requirements. For example, a chicken broccoli soup with chunks of broccoli will need longer processing times because it is imperative to ensure the temp is the same in ALL parts of food (i.e. the geometric center of the broccoli piece). This is a non issue if youre processing canned condensed milk, applesauce, etc etc.

Clearly, youre the idiot.

Also, my emphasis is in starch modification. I can refer you to a wonderful food engineering text with hundreds of nice tables and charts for you to do your own research, faggot
>>
>>825631
What is google
What is commercial standards for raising livestock
What is animal welfare law
Get rekt you dumb cuck.
Where I'm from the bagged chicken feed comes from the same motherfucking mill the commercial shit is. It's the same fucking shit from the same fucking hopper just fucking conveniently bagged.
Jesus fucking Christ you dumb cuck millennial faggots will argue the smallest fucking thing just for keks
>>
>>826003
>commercial standards
You are seriously fucking stupid. I've worked aggie my entire life and a chunk of that was feed. What is legally acceptable to feed is just that, legally acceptable, nothing more. What hits the feed stores and what hits the factory farms are about as comparable as fish and giraffes.
>>
>>825780
You're advocating to people to cook plastic into their foods with an outdoor fire that is typically difficult to control the temperature of unlike a retort when you don't even know the difference in temp between a wood or mini stove fire and the range of the retorts to begin with, but still you jump at the first opportunity to run your mouth so you can sound smart and validate what you're learning (masturbation) but actually you're messing with people's health and it's rather careless of you. Don't do that
>>
>>826046
And I bet you're an amerifat. Canada and the EU has higher standards
>>
>>826003
>>826046
Wait, so organic eggs are better?
Where do I find some? I live in Portsmouth (south of England) and it is difficult to find fresh organic food, or things without chemicals and estrogen. I may just move to Turkey on some land I own and start a farm.
>>
>>821429
Put them in a bucket or yogurt container full or crisco or lard. It will keep them a consistant temperature and will protect them from cracking.
>>
>>825730
>I wash eggs before use with soap to kill salmonella.
If you have fresh eggs from chickens you raised or got from the man who raised them and he didnt wash them only wash them before you use them. Eggs can last about three months unwashed and unrefrigerated.

I love threads like this, the city folks swear up and down that chicken eggs from chickens that arent fed industrial feed all day is the same quality as battery eggs while also holding the belief that if they put garbage into their own bodies that it wont work at all.

The logical disconnect in those two beliefs always astounded me.
>>
>>822856
I agree with this guy, OP you should just have Oatmeal desu. I backpack for a living and that's my usual breakfast. Three packets is what I usually do, sometimes adding gorp or fruit.
>>
>>826083
American eggs are fucking disgusting. Yours are probably fine. When I was travelling in the UK I noticed your poultry is a lot cheaper though
>>
>>826091
So it doesn't astound you anymore?
>>
>>826114
Not really.

I've come to accept that cognitive dissonance of that degree is possible and happens very often in the modern world.
>>
>>826081
Do you work in EU agriculture professionally?
>>
>>826077
When did I advocate anything, you colossal retard? If you learn to read, you'll see that I said that using high temperatures directly on a can will likely cause degradation of the plastic lining which is obviously undesirable.

Youre being a complete dumbass on the internet. Dont do that.
>>
>>826081
What are their nutritional standards?
(Genuinely,curious)
>>
>>826112
Our yolks are yellow, is that ok?
>>
File: nescafe.jpg (34KB, 720x414px) Image search: [Google]
nescafe.jpg
34KB, 720x414px
>>822856
>>822856
>Instant Quaker Oatmeal in packets.
mah nigga

bagels are good trail food as well, toast them with butter and cream cheese topped with smoked salmon
>>
>>821429
Out elk scouting this weekend.

Butthole sandwiches for breakfast and lunch.

>toasted bagel
>honey and peanut butter whizzed together, spread on bagel
>bacon

Life giving butthole sandwich.
>>
>>821429
I boiled a dozen eggs on my last hunting trip and had no problem eating them any time of day with some salt...it was hot as fuck and they still hit the spot. I'm going to continue to take them with me
>>
Here's a really awesome breakfast.
1) Slice some oranges in half
2)Scoop out (and feast) the inner fruit.
3) Fill with blueberry muffin mix (just add water)
4) Wrap in aluminum foil and put in the coals of the fire.

Unwrap and feast. Not really possible if backpacking (hard to keep the oranges from get squished) but it's super simple.
>>
>>821429
Best way to feel good and not get sick on a multi day trip is making sure you eat about the same as you do at home. Your stomach may not be thankfulif you stuff it with cheap ramen if you eat healthy food on regular basis.
I would go with
1 cup coffee
1 toast with cheese
2 eggs with onions anb bacon.
>>
>>821711
>>821713
>>821716
Absolutely based.
>>
>>825730
I bought one of these while browsing sales in some outdoors shop because of how retarded the idea of a specific egg container for going /out/ was.
After a couple of days of delicious fresh eggs with breakfast out on the trail I was completely converted, well worth buying no matter how silly you feel at the time of purchase
>>
>>821716
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70sIrfz0_c
>>
File: f0214959_22403433.jpg (208KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
f0214959_22403433.jpg
208KB, 1000x750px
>>829774
couldn't disagree less! y-you bought the coghlan's™ brand of course right anon?
>>
>>821429
Refrigeration of eggs is a myth; as long as they have never been refrigerated. Both in China and Georgia, from personal experience, eggs were left out of refrigerators and nobody has a problem eating them. The issue is finding eggs that haven't been refrigerated.
>>
>>821705
rubbish, the eggs have more omega 3 content if grass fed, the same applies to meat.
>>
>>830072
>the eggs have more omega 3 content if grass fed
whatever. same applies to yo' fat mama
>>
>>830047
Refrigerated eggs, on average, have a lower bacterial load / chance of infection. So refrigeration of eggs certainly isnt a myth. However, non-refrigerated eggs (especially from a good source) arent substantially more harmful, they just carry a slightly higher risk of being tainted. Most supermarkets in Australia get their eggs from a refrigerated source and then sell them non-refrigerated without a problem.

tl;dr Non-refrigeration is generally fine, it just slightly increases the risk of bacterial infection.
>>
>>822311
FUCK
>>
ITT: get angry about eggs
>>
>>830287
this is why we need feminism
>>
>>821711
>>821713
>>821716

But how do you get your vitamin beef?
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.