[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we have any search and rescue operators on /out/? Care to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Kinsey-Hanging_30153_4w1r_l.jpg (116KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Kinsey-Hanging_30153_4w1r_l.jpg
116KB, 1024x682px
Do we have any search and rescue operators on /out/? Care to give any insight on the job/training?

I remember an Aussie and a Frog posting here in the past.
>>
File: geeps_mly.jpg (28KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_mly.jpg
28KB, 261x192px
I think Muley knows about this stuff
>>
File: 1440971545365.jpg (123KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
1440971545365.jpg
123KB, 960x768px
>>819908
>geepsbro
>>
File: FILE1292_-L.jpg (129KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE1292_-L.jpg
129KB, 800x600px
>>819908
Had both good and bad experiences with SAR. Never needed their services myself.

Here, you have to be a resident of the county to be on the county's SAR team.
Even if I know an area/region well and have tools/equipment (snowmobile/motorcycle, first aid training/equipment, communications, avalanche rescue gear/certifications) they won't talk to me.
It's also a big time "good ol boys club". If you're not "in" the club, you probably never will be.

SAR is good at what they do, i'm not knocking them in any way.
I also feel that for some calls, they turn away a lot of useful help.
Been working with local SAR agencies to develop a "local area experts" pool... these are people that have gone through some vetting process and are able/willing to put in volunteer hours and equipment for certain calls.
A pair of hikers is out later than expected, that's what SAR is for. Two very skilled snowmobilers in a technical area caught in an avalanche, why not let a few racers on modern turbo'd sleds help out.

In the snowmobile community, for example, there's certain groups of people who ride certain areas regularly. They know the areas well, and have skills to get around. They're probably carrying two-way radios (FRS/GMRS, not P25), have survival/first aid training and equipment.

If I ever get into shit and can't get myself out, I'd much rather have a team of snowmobilers that thinks like snowmobilers, and has snowmobiling skills to get into the area I'm in faster looking for me than SAR who might have more radio/first-aid equipment but not have modern snowmobiles or decent skills to ride it .... or opt for a mode of travel they're more confident with like skis or snowshoes (i'll see them in about 3 days, vs. covering that same distance on a 150hp snowmobile).
>>
>>819924
>It's also a big time "good ol boys club". If you're not "in" the club, you probably never will be.
Op here, what do you mean by this?
Also the people that work at SAR, they only train for emergencies and wait until they're called or they perform other tasks during the rest of the time?
>>
>>819937

I would guess he means that your best way in is by knowing someone already on the teams or known of by association. If you happen to get on without those methods, then you're probably going to be alienated from the group until you leave. I've seen it happen in SAR and Fire.
>>
>>819937
it means you have to be white, straight, and either uneducated or adequately redneck or both
>>
bumping with some based SAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QEzXUVidA8
>>
I was a ski patroller for 7 years if you're interested on that perspective.
>>
>Don't talk about the staircases. Just ignore them.
>>
>>820338
Any stories, mate?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.