[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're just after a water bottle, is SIGG classic the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

If you're just after a water bottle, is SIGG classic the way to go?

Seems like it checks all the boxes: tough, light, classic aesthetic, recyclable, easy to clean.

Anything else out there worth considering?
>>
standard pet platic bottle is best unless you absolutelyneed something that you can boil water in (which you can't with a sigg, since it has a resin coating on the inside).

pet bottles are
-nearly free
-nearly indestructible, and completely drop proof
-as light as possible by design
-can be used for SODIS in emergencies
-collapsible to save space
-easily recyclable
-easily cleaned
-come in a huge range of shapes, sizes, and caps/openings to fit a wide range of needs
>>
>>816646
a lot of this you're describing is exclusively for disposable bottles you'd buy 50 cent water in. i'm not after a collapsible bottle.
>>
Prepare for dents.
>>
>>816636
I have one but to be honest I prefer Nalgenes over it due to the much wider opening on it. They insulate well though.
>>
File: klean_kanteen.jpg (72KB, 485x523px) Image search: [Google]
klean_kanteen.jpg
72KB, 485x523px
>>816636
I got the 27 oz/ 800 ml one. It's cheap but you get premium quality
>>
>>816676
Nalgene was the top pick on r/buyitonce but buying made in US products in EU has often led to difficulty getting spares or life time guarantee.
>>
>>816677
reading about how sigg's resin coating is an industry secret i'm leaning towards the kleen kanteen if i go with metal. i like to support EU manufacturing but sigg is not the best environmentally.
>>
>>816636
Peacetime Canteens
>>
>>816689
Klean kanteen is great
>>
Klean Kanteen with a nesting gsi cup ftw
>>
>>817235
>>817348
These
>>
>>816650
you don't have to collapse it if you don't want to. what specifically is the problem with a great quality bottle that costs 50c?
>>
Get a Klean Kanteen. Food grade steel. In a tight spot you can melt snow/boil water in it.
>>
Klean kanteen wide mouth
Best bottle ive ever had.
Bought 2 more
>>
>>816636
it has a plastic lining, you could as well just get a plastic bottle instead which would be even lighter. It's also not easy to clean or to fill since it has a pretty narrow opening.

I have a klean kanteen and although it is a bit heavier and more expensive i like it better because of the bigger opening and the fact that it's all stainless so you can put it on the fire to melt ice or cook your water. Also they have a 64 oz version, because 32 oz is never enough if you wanna make camp (drinking evening/morning and cooking) and i don't want to depend on a good water source when choosing camp, there is already enough to take into consideration when choosing a good site. Also i don't like hassling with my filter every hour when i'm hiking up a mountain in 30°C weather, and like to be less water source dependent when in a drier area. So i'll end up with two 32 oz bottles anyway, which take up more space and weight as a single 64 oz bottle. Two 32 oz aluminium sigs weigh almost the same as a 64 steel klean kanteen. Also the 64 oz bottle fits nicely in my cooking pot.

I also like how the company tries to promote responsible water use and gives a (rather small) amount of their profit to sustainable water projects. But I do hate how to company is just jewing you around for their accessories and such, its like the Apple of water bottles. I want a different cap because the standard looped one makes my bottle just this tiny bit too tall for my backpack side pockets, so i wanna buy the all stainless steel one or the bamboo, but they charge like 15 euro's for a fucking bottle cap...
>>
>>817923
I have ruled out SIGG at this point because they lied about being BPA free in the early 2000s and they use virgin aluminum when they could easily use recycled.

At this point it's really a toss up between the Nalgene wide mouth and the single walled Klean Kanteen wide mouth. If I'm honest this thing will likely just be used in my bag on commutes so the added utility of heating and thawing liquids in the steel one is not that useful.

Thanks for the replies all. I don't want to spend hours on what should be a simple purchase so I'll probably just get whatever is good value.
>>
>>817931
OK, then it doesn't matter that much.

But one more thing to take into consideration. For my 64 oz klean kanteen i choose the classic instead of the wide mouth, because when drinking from a very wide mouth, especially from a heavy bottle like 64 oz, you easily spill water from the sides of your mouth, it isn't very convenient drinking especially when you're very thirsty and you're all worked up from hiking up a mountain. The classic's mouth for me is just perfect, as it is quiet a bit bigger than the sig, which i find too small. You can still clean it and easily fill it. Also the shape of the classic makes it more adequate to put on a fire, but this doesn't apply for you. Advantages of wide mouth are: more accessories(fits msr filter, nalgene caps), even easier to clean and to fill, the shape makes it a bit less tall.
>>
>>817934
yeah classic is actually what i meant. it seems like they hit a good balance of being able to get ice, clean and drink with that mouth. didn't realise klean did a wider mouth.
>>
>>816677
must be a pain to wash those out
i would only buy wide mouth bottles.
>>
>>816646
to tell you the truth i always bring standard pet water bottles with me. they are ridiculously light and pack much more water than any canteen i seen.

1,5l i bring two and also have a steel canteen cup to boil water in or cook in. so 3l in total plus i always bring some sugary fruit juice usually 1l.

i think steel canteen is kind of retarded.
>>
File: DSC_7488-1024x819.jpg (457KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7488-1024x819.jpg
457KB, 1024x819px
>>817936
As you can see the mouths of Klean Kanteen are bigger than a standard Sig
>>
File: beer-bottle-brush-2.jpg (52KB, 766x597px) Image search: [Google]
beer-bottle-brush-2.jpg
52KB, 766x597px
>>817938
And are easily cleaned with something like this
>>
>>817877
People like buying gear. They find it to be the most enjoyable part of their /out/ing. Doing without or not looking like they won an REI sweepstakes is unacceptable for some.
>>
>>816636
>>816636
I really like the military surplus canteens, the square ones with the spout on the corner if all i am doing is transporting water for drinking. They collapse flat for easy storing

I have a sig, it sucks, once it dents the outer coating cracks off and the narrow mouth makes cleaning hard.

I like a 32oz KK since i can cook in it, and a 64oz either KK or hydroflask depending on where im going
>>
this one
>>
>>817908
>Food grade steel
>Also known as any steel
>>
>>818630
any stainless altho some do let metals into the drink if acidic fluid stored in them.
>>
>>818533
Agreed. It's awesome
>>
>>818691
>some do let metals into the drink if acidic fluid stored in them.
>>816636
>If you're just after a water bottle,
Something here isn't adding up. These goalposts were somewhere else to begin with, weren't they?
>>
>>816636
>aesthetic,
OP confirmed for Advance Faggotry Master's Degree recipient.
>>
>>820027
Well, and why is that? Probably the biggest reasons people go /out/ is Aesthetics. Observing the beauty of nature. How many people here are complaining about bad LNT habits, and without mentioning mostly from an aesthetic point of view, nature doesn't care for some graffiti on some rocks or some old firepits. But suddenly it is faggotry when these aesthetics apply to yourself or your equipment? I personally experience a diminishing effect on nature immersion when i take a sip of some overdesigned fluorescent yellow plastic bottle, just as most of us admit experiencing a diminishing effect on nature immersion when they would see graffiti on the rocks. And for me, aesthetics apply for most of my gear. This "if you care about aesthetics /out/doors you are gay" meme is pretty hypocritical anyway cause if you really didn't give a fuck you wouldn't make a point out of it, it is the hipster equivalent of "i did it before it was cool" for /out/doorsmen, and it gives /out/door equipment designers a free ticket to sell butt ugly stuff. Please start giving a fuck, or sincerely don't give a fuck and shut up about it
>>
>>817936
Just don't put anything but water or sugarless coffee/tea inside and you should just be able to rinse it out.
>>
>>820088
>sugarless
horrifying
>>
>>820088
>dont put anything but
That's an effective vessel. Use it for things this guy thinks you should instead of what you want.
>>
>>820032
>personally experience a diminishing effect on nature immersion when i take a sip of some overdesigned fluorescent yellow plastic bottle
Feel free to carve your cups from wood or stone. Oh, but dont use materials you came across in nature because LNT and you can't take things either. You should only drink from your cups hands so as to NOT diminish your experience.
>>
>>820168
Yes because our world is only black and white, and there is totally no gradual distinction of how misplaced something can be in a natural environment. You sure understand aesthetics, maybe read up a bit on landscape architecture you fucking troglodyte.

Also, where did i say i am such a strong LNT supporter? I brought that up to make my point that most people here care about aesthetics when it comes, for example, to LNT (graffiti on rocks or cairns don't interfere with natures functionality), but once it is about equipment or clothes it is suddenly frowned upon. Don't understand me wrong, i would also frown upon somebody who's only concern when buying equipment would be aesthetics, and not give a single thought about functionality, weight, price, bulk, etc... For me it is just one of the things i take into consideration when i buy something, because one of the biggest reasons i go /out/ is to be surrounded by beauty, and my equipment and clothing is also part of what surrounds me...
>>
File: 561651651.jpg (76KB, 329x249px) Image search: [Google]
561651651.jpg
76KB, 329x249px
>>820307
>you fucking troglodyte.
>>
>>820162
I mean, yes, it's an effective vessel? Everything has limitations. You shouldn't put hot liquids into a Nalgene, for instance.

I put it a bit dickishly, so sorry, but I also don't see why anyone is pouring sugary stuff into their water bottle. Any Gatorade type stuff is coming in its own portable bottle. What am I missing?
>>
>>816646

This

For everyone of these gear threads I wish I had something to throw at ppl.

Just sell your gear to learn how to not need it.
So simple it is almost mind blowing.
>>
>>818708
acidic things like fruit juice or electrolyte drinks, which could easily end up in a drink bottle
>>
>>820869
I bring gatorade powder with me on long trips that I make with water that I purify along the trail.
>>
Anyone got recs on a canteen that one can also safely boil water in?
unless any ok stainless will do, I'm not to sure of canteens.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.