[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some /out/ towns/cities. I'm looking for a place

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

File: badmoonrising.jpg (2MB, 7150x4767px) Image search: [Google]
badmoonrising.jpg
2MB, 7150x4767px
What are some /out/ towns/cities. I'm looking for a place to move and want some mountains and forests and all that good shit. A national park/forest would be nice too. Preferably somewhere affordable where you can rent a decent place for a little less than or more than $1000 a month. College in town would be a bonus as well. Help me get /out/ of my hometown.
>>
Any countries specifically?
>>
>>811810
My bad. I'm in the United States. I've been looking at cities in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Wyoming, & California.
>>
Bend, OR if you've got the money.
Is there a term for the rei outdoor hipster type that drives a Subaru and always wears something by Patagonia? Cuz that's the whole town.
>>
>>811807
Anywhere on the Mogollon rim in AZ, though Flagstaff has does have the college nearby, another gem would be Crescent City in CA, you've got the ocean on one side and fucking fairytale forest GIANT redwoods on the other.
>>
>>811807
Jackson Hole. With online schooling there is a college anywhere, unless by college town you mean a place where you can prey on 19-23 yr old women.
>>
>>812015
I mean i'm 19 myself so I guess so.
>>
>>811821
Bend, OR seems nice but too expensive for my budget.
>>
>>811817
How big does it need to be? like city city or 'large town' city?
>>
>>812164
Any size really. 25,000 or over is preferred but small towns can be cool if their charming and lively and not just pieces of shit with nothing to do and nothing to see like the one I currently live in.
>>
>>812167
I'm looking for places that not only have a lot of outdoors shit to do but also things like concerts, comic conventions, & festivals. That's why I would prefer a city near a nation forest or park or something. I've been looking at a lot of places but a lot of them are really expensive. I will have about 40k saved by the time I move so money isn't a huge deal but I want to be able to afford a nice house wherever I move at some point.
>>
File: 20160704_203307.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160704_203307.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Well buddy you got lucky. I just so happen to live in such a town. Berea, Kentucky, the folk art capitol of the world. 15 minutes SE is the Pinnacles(pic related), 25 minutes SE is Climax cave which I will post in a second, and 10 minutes past the cave is Anglin Falls. It has a college right in the middle of town and it's not very far from the Daniel Boone National Forest. Hmu if you wanna know more.
All the pictures I'm posting I've taken, so if they aren't top quality please forgive me.
>>
File: IMG_20160624_145310.jpg (2MB, 3019x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160624_145310.jpg
2MB, 3019x2304px
>>812173
>>
>>812173
There is public land east of the mississippi?
>>
>>812185
No it's all cattle farms, are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Where I live we have mountains, national forests, oceans, rivers, a university. I own my own home but a quick craiglist look and rents are between 1000 and 1400.
>>
>>812212
That's beautiful. Where is it?
>>
>>812212
>>812218
rents between 1000 and 1400...
A mortgage on a 2k sq ft house is less than 1/2 that.
>>
You can come in Cluj-Napoca, you have one of the best colleges in romania, and you have a ton of mountains around you
>>
oh and the rents are verry cheap, like 400-500 euros for a 4 room apartament
>>
>>812229
>2016
>owning and not being able pack up and leave at will
Ok. I bet you also have a white picket fence and 2.7 children.
>>
>>812257
If you want to you could just rent out the house. And use the extra income to pay rent else where. Owning a home doesn't necessarily tie you down.
>>
>>812173
>be in Kentucky
>look out window
>get poison ivy
>>
File: denver-colorado.jpg (3MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
denver-colorado.jpg
3MB, 1800x1200px
Northerno NM or southern Colorado is my favorite out zone.
Lots of cool mountain towns between denver and Albuquerque.
Santa fe
Taos
Salida
Manitou springso
This Rio Grande corridor has so many places to be out in the middle of nowhere with no other humans for miles then you drive 20 minutes and have craft beer or cocktails.
Best of many worlds.
>>
>>811807
Check out klamath falls. Land available there. Although it might be hard to find work if you are the working type.
>>
>>812229
What city is it? Unless your the Kentucky guy.
>>
>>812257
>owning and not being able pack up and leave at will
Having a place to park my boat, store my stuff, adult stuff that is.
+ my real doll has a chair in my bedroom and I can have bookshelves, throw pillows, and shams.
and I have a dungeon that can double as a bomb shelter/prepper space.

But you keep all your shit in a backpack in case you feel like up and leaving. Good for you.
>>
>>812274
>But you keep all your shit in a backpack in case you feel like up and leaving. Good for you.

Not the same guy but I sold a half million dollar house not long ago and I love the backpack escape route right now.
Having a nice house is great but mine turned into a cage.
>>
>>812266
>denver-colorado
>.jpg
I have some bad news for you...
>>
>>811807
Southern or Eastern TN or Northern Georgia maybe? It is nice and I bet the cost of living there is cheaper than a lot of these West Coast areas. The mild winters wouldn't be too bad either. And it's quite a bit less of an REI crowd and more of a Bass Pro deal if that's what you are going for.
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 640x1136px
>>812372
Kek, I had a feeling that big church downtown looked out of place for Denver
>>
File: image.jpg (198KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198KB, 500x333px
Kalispel, Montana is as /out/ as you can get. Flathead lake for fishing and whitewater rafting, glacier national park for some of the best big wall climbing east of the Mississippi and some of the best Cajun food you can get south of the border.
>>
>>812449
Why do people keep posting pictures of SLC? Is this a meme or something?
>>
>>812170
I'll put in a plug for my little city: Bremerton, WA.
>embryonic local scene
>ferry to Seattle downtown for more culture
>tons of nearby wilderness
>shopping area two towns over has a bunch of outdoor supplies stores
The downside is that the local economy sucks so most people commute to Seattle.
>>
>>813119
Plus tweakers. I've been to Seattle a few times, but visited Bremerton for the first time last year cuz a buddy of mine moved across the sound. Not a bad place, but the amount of tweakers wandering about downtown was impressive.
>>
>>812173
kentucky fucking sucks, do not come here, go out west, the east coast is fucking boring, I wish I was back in Utah/Colorado. I miss the giant mountains clashing with deserts and plains. Berea is white trash hippy town with a "working college" that is fairly small and insignificant. Stay away unless you like drugs and pseudo hippy rednecks. -lexington 1 hour north from berea. North Carolina is more viable.
>>
>>813144
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
File: IMG_2322.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2322.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>813119
>so most people commute to Seattle.
It's so much fun.
>>
This thread makes me jealous. America is such a big and varied country you can just pack up and move and it's like you're in a different world.
>>
>>811807
Boise, Idaho

Fairly nice, rent is cheap, Boise State is there, ISU, and UI have campus satellites.

Some redneck, meth parts of town but they are clearly visible just stay away from them.

About 200K metro area.

Easy to get out of and up in the mountains.

Lots of "out" in Idaho. Don't get eaten by a grizzly or mountain lion.
>>
Anchorage or Fairbanks. There's literally nothing to do but get drunk or do heroin in the winter, and shoot, fish, hunt, hike, kayak, and climb in the summer.
>>
File: WP_20160709_18_05_59_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160709_18_05_59_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>813245
30 mins of driving from anchorage.
>>
>>813156
The ferry drops you downtown. Only suckers drive.
>>
File: bear-areas-map.gif (65KB, 780x837px) Image search: [Google]
bear-areas-map.gif
65KB, 780x837px
>>813243
Shouldn't be that hard to avoid grizzlies in Idaho
>>
>>813266
Just the tip
>>
twin ports, specifically the north shore
>>
File: 20160711_185142.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160711_185142.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>813144
Fuck you man. Have some fucking pride about where you live. Kentucky is a fantastic state and I wouldn't live anywhere else. Just because it isn't "giant mountains clashing with the deserts and the plains" doesn't mean you should talk shit. By the way, next time you decide to describe some terrain, why not look out your window instead of at your wallpaper.
>>
>>813380
it's hard to appreciate your hometown until you've visited and come to the realization that you have to look for the great outdoor activities
just because you can't see it out your window doesn't mean there isn't a kickass state park nearby
>>
>>813384
*until you've moved
>>
>>813266
I trust fish and game a bit more than the map.

There are out there, not everywhere, near Yellowstone and in Northern mountains.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/conservation/grizzly-bear
>>
Amherst, MA
Anywhere in NH, VT, Maine or Western MA will suit your needs pretty well.

For a surprising pick Bloomington, Indiana is pretty great for being in the midwest.
>>
>>813440
I don't trust anything associated with Idaho
Remove potato
>>
>>811807
Ithaca, NY. Home to gorges, hippies, scholars, enologists, lakes, and a wonderful winter
>>
>>813468
#spudlivesmatter
>>
File: amhurrst.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
amhurrst.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>>813455
>Amherst
Nice enough, if you don't mind the expense and the massive amount of hippies and college kids.
>>
I'm thinking about moving out to Maine OP, its pretty damn out, and not the tryhard REI out types either. just the salt of the earth look-out-for-one-another type of people and you can find somewhere pretty good to live for the cheap too (atleast compared to other new england states)

Its got the grandiose mountains, beautiful color changing seasons, and more trails/game hunting than you know what to do with. to put it in perspective, its one of the few places where bear outnumber people. and its not even like its a flyover rural area either, Portland is a very nice city that isnt over crowded and Weed is even fully legalized for recreational use there (only place on the east coast).

the only problem is that there arent any good colleges there so you get an eclectic range of age. but the good news is that the youth population is growing
>>
>>812173
That actually doesnt sound that bad, how close is it to a major city for a good music scene?
>>
anyone live near the flagstaff area or northern AZ and want to give their opinion of it? i think that might be a good place for OP and others in the same situation
>>
Anybody have some recommendations on a Canadian town with similar criteria?
>>
>>813894
I would have thought that Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton all fit the general criteria - if you preferred bigger cities. They have all of the conveniences and amenities you'd expect of big cities, but are only short drives (relatively speaking) from wilderness areas. If you prefer smaller places, mountain towns like Jasper, Banff and Canmore are all populous enough to have a good social scene feel like they're not in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, but still right in the middle of beautiful national parks. Those towns seem to be geared around tourism though, so it might not be a place you'd want to settle down in the long term.
>>
>>813932
Any places out east? Like east of Manitoba I guess
>>
>>813938
Honestly, I have no idea sorry. I'm not from Canada, I just travelled in the Canadian Rockies for a couple of months. I'm sure there will be places out east which are similar, and probably less touristy (although maybe less 'spectacular' too).
>>
>>813144
Seconded. Fuck this place.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.