[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I'm done with Scandi grinds. Yes, they excel at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: scandi100_0907-vi.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
scandi100_0907-vi.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
I think I'm done with Scandi grinds.

Yes, they excel at woodwork but they're just too fragile if you want an all purpose knife that you can use for other stuff like game processing.
>>
Good, they are a memegrind.
>>
File: 1438944319643.gif (2MB, 275x154px) Image search: [Google]
1438944319643.gif
2MB, 275x154px
>>810742
Ok, thank your for sharing what goes in your mind.
you may find it interesting here >>>/tumblr/
>>
Knife grind thread? Knife grind thread.

Would a chisel grind make for a good skinning knife?
>>
>>810890
It can, ulus are good skinners and they are traditionally chisel ground
>>
>>810742
So will your next blog post be about the virtues of saber grind? If so, then /k/ may briefly give a shit

>>810890
Chisel grinds can be made horrifically very easily so yeah, as long as you can control the blade without letting it dig
>>
>>810742
welcome to flat grind life bro. We here are free to use our knives for whatever purpose we deem necessary, limited only by our imaginations and the skill with which we sharpen our knives.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_220207.jpg (4MB, 3299x2291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_220207.jpg
4MB, 3299x2291px
>>
>>810742
>scandi grind
>fragile

nice meme, bro. Shame it's bullshit.
>>
I have a scandi grind on my knife and it remains razor sharp all the time expect after large times (10+ hours) worth of carving which is what I enjoy doing but even then hitting it on my stone a couple of times and 2 minutes of stropping and its back to razor sharp. Scandi is great for pretty much everything, wood, skinning (I found it nice for that), fleshing and donning of large animals. No issues.
>>
>>812771
scandi is the only grind i can keep razor sharp, so everything else is inferior to me. No good slicers though
>>
>>812760
indeed it's also called saber grind, guess why?
>>
>>813347

scandi grind and saber grind are two different things.

Scandi grind is a zero grind, a saber grind has a secondary bevel.
>>
>>810742

>all purpose knife that you can use for other stuff like game processing

You mean like a scandigrind.

I've done almost all my game processing with a mora.
>>
>>810890
No one with an option uses a chisel grind for skinning.

>>812771
Scandi is great for carving where the material being cut doesn't reach the flats of the blade, but it sucks for anything that does.

So slicing an apple sucks, deboning game sucks, caping game sucks, gutting game sucks.

Carving a spoon is awesome. Cutting cordage is awesome.
>>
>>813357
but that's totally wrong saber == scandi == zero grind
>>
>>814093
No

A saber grind is a flat grind that extends the partial height of the blade and has a secondary bevel.

A scandi grind extends the partial height of the blade and has no secondary bevel.

A zero grind extends the full height of the blade and has no secondary bevel.
>>
>>814093
r u retarded m8?
>>
IMO convex is the best all around grind

However I prefer scandi because I find it much easier to keep sharp

I suck at sharpening and always blunt convex edges

any other grind is not an option
>>
File: BHK-Grinds_zpsfe2aca90.png (88KB, 238x320px) Image search: [Google]
BHK-Grinds_zpsfe2aca90.png
88KB, 238x320px
>>814111
>A saber grind is a flat grind that extends the partial height of the blade and has a secondary bevel.
but that's wrong if you bother to google saber grind you will find 90% of the pics show "scandi" which is really saber grind.
>>814113
r u?
>>
>>814135
>Sabre grind — Similar to a flat grind blade except that the bevel starts at about the middle of the blade, not the spine. Also sometimes referred to as a "V Grind", made with strength in mind and found on tactical and military knives. A Sabre grind without a secondary bevel is called a "Scandinavian Grind," which is easier to sharpen due to the large surface. The Finnish puukko is an example of a Scandinavian ground knife.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind
>>
>>810742
Wow, that is a very good knife you have posted there, OP.
I like its shape

My picture is unrelated though
>>
>>814135
>>814137
upon further research: so basically looks like scandi is a specific subtype of saber grind, while sabre grinds may or may not have a secondary bevel scandi never had. also traditionally saber grind start at the middle of the blade height while scandi starts lower. but looks like no matter who you ask he will have a different opinion on the subject.
>>
>>814111
>zero grind extends the full height of the blade and has no secondary bevel
that's called full flat tho
>>
>>814147
No, full flat has a secondary bevel.
>>
>>814159
no it's the flat grind that has a secondary bevel full flat doesn't
that is why it's called full
>>
>>814159
>>814436
not that i could find 2 sources that can actually agree on grinds and terminology mind you... but most have it this way.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.