[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/ I went to /k/ with this but they are so little help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: picture.jpg (14KB, 600x171px) Image search: [Google]
picture.jpg
14KB, 600x171px
Sup /out/

I went to /k/ with this but they are so little help it is mind blowing. I am looking to do some hunting this fall/winter. I live in Northern Alberta, near the Saskatchewan border. Of course I can hunt deer in the area of Northern Alberta, I can hunt north of me in Alberta too. I love the idea of fishing and know of a few areas this is possible.

Now hunting wise I am looking at a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 Field. The price is significantly better than a comparable remington gun. I am looking to protein hunt, so basically any small game. I am looking to do this on a budget. Currently I have plans to hunt pigeons, squirrels, rabbits/hare, upland game birds and if I get the chance deer. So for the small game I have assembled a bit of a list of items I need:

Gun+ammo+sling+ect.
Some sort of game bag
My hiking boots, goggles, knife(s), maybe a hatchet

In a back pack (Need a suggestion for a budget back pack):

My Baofeng radio, survival card, couple liters of water, couple protein bars, some jerky, maybe one of those quick meal things, some tea (either dried with some sort of container to bowl water in on a jet stove or in a thermos), poncho, fire starters....

Am I missing anything for day trip hunting? This is all within driving distance of my home and within walking distance of my vehicle. I might like to get into over night camping but I would prefer to do that with a bit more tech (camper/van/truck) so I can go further out for longer times.

Pic sorta related, it is a Maverick 88 which is what I was looking at before I figured I would get the Mossberg 500 for only 100$ more.
>>
>>809539
>hatchet
>day trip hunting
Why?
Hatchets are meme gear for survival tryhards who stay in the campground parking lot
>>
>>809575

Because I have always been told a small light hatchet is useful? I was thinking with the right one I could process some game in the field easily.
>>
I'm going to try to answer your post as best as possible. I'm a Northern Pennsylvania native and have plenty of experience hunting both "what" and "how" you are referring to.
First things first, if you are looking to go small game only, go for a 20ga. That will save on weight and felt recoil if nothing else. Carry a mix of small game load and slugs if you plan on hunting both (not sure what your seasons are like).
Assuming everything is for a day long hunt where you can return to camp...
>Gun+ammo+sling+ect.
You mentioned a 500, great choice for both styles of hunting. I personally own both a Mossy 500 and a Rem 870 clone and find they are fantastic for small and large game. It truly depends on the deal you can get when buying, as well as some small aesthetic/ergonomic details. A sling will certainly help for long hikes where you DON'T plan on shooting, forget about it otherwise.
>Some sort of game bag
Just buy a vest with one built into the back, it will be the best choice IMO.
>My hiking boots, goggles, knife(s), maybe a hatchet
Buy boots that fit your feet well and you have broken in already. Waterproof them! I like mink oil but there may be another method that you prefer.
I don't use goggles, that's really a matter of preference.
Any kind of SHARP folding knife will be absolutely necessary for field dressing game. Keep it on the small side, no need to get tactacticool here. Forget a hatchet.
> Backpack
Whatever is comfortable that meets your needs and doesn't look completely out of place. I have an old army BDU day pack that I use and it is more than enough.
>>
>
My Baofeng radio, survival card, couple liters of water, couple protein bars, some jerky, maybe one of those quick meal things, some tea (either dried with some sort of container to bowl water in on a jet stove or in a thermos), poncho, fire starters....
Only carry a radio when hunting in a party, reasonable amounts of water and food are essential. I've never carried a stove while hunting, ever. set up camp and/or leave that crap behind.

Bring a cell phone and basic first aide with you and you should be fine.
Poncho's aren't really for hunting situations, buy clothes made of a good water repellent material in the first place.
If you want to get into multi-day hunting, look into it further but this reply should cover most of what you asked.
>>
Thanks for the replies guys. As for the 12 gauge choice, I am for cheap+versatile. I was considering a 20 guage, but the 12 can take down deer more comfortably if I so choose. I was also hoping to do some water fowl hunting (if the chance presents itself).

The stove thing was based more on my time in Ontario. The best feeling after a day on the lake was tossing a can of beans into a pot and fast frying some fish on the shore for dinner.

I have a pair of nice Merrils. They are more light for summer activities. I also have a pair of water proof steel toe boots with decent enough insulation. Anything colder and wetter and I should be wearing rubber boots or winter boots. Instead of mink oil I water proof boots with the wax toilet bowl gaskets. Cheap, last a long time and easy. I have a couple different folding knifes but have been partial to fix bladed knifes recently. The goggles fit over my prescription glasses, have a ventilation fan and are tinted.
>>
Depends on the game I am going after, Moose hunting and Elk hunting are two different things.
Either way
>Normally my 3030 rifle dont know the brand sorry nor am I bothering to put it together to take a picture Fucking got off work issue? Suck my dick
>Normal camping gear ie tent pots etc
>My knife which is a fillet knife is what I use for skinning. Used it before on beavers and lynx before
>I normally pack a small forest axe as I am to lazy to take a saw and quarter my kill nicely.
>Potato sack bags is what I use for my meat to be carried
>Often use a horse to travel as my quad broke down one time and it was hell
>Ammo and animal horn.
>I found a rolled up bark horn works great as a moose caller.
TL;DR ammo gun camping gear is what I use.
>>
Edit: My rifles Savage 17 HMR, cheap accurate as hell
old 3030 from my grandfather, got the barrel remade/changed to a 3030 because I blew up the barrel. Dont know the brand
stefrano under above 12 gauge shotgun cost around 2500 used.
Thats it. My fillet knife is handmade so it doesn't have a brand but I do use another knife the wisp http://www.jacklore.com/neck-knives-the-wisp-and-the-wasp.html its small and razor sharp I often prefer this over my other knife as it is quite long. Canoe is a cedar strip which I bought off of a native for his shed/room painted.
>>
Carry a few different sizes of birdshot

00 buck for deer up close
slugs for deer at around 50 yards
>>
Moose/Elk are not something I plan on hunting anytime soon. I don't have the resources or time. Deer is a bit of a different story. However if I was going to go after game like Elk, Moose or Deer I would upgrade to a dedicated rifle for it. The 12 gauge is good enough for deer.

As stated I want to stick to small game. Things you only need a license for, not a dedicated tag. Things I can quickly fill a freezer with. North of me is agricultural leased crown land, which you can hunt with the owners permission. Within 30-45 minutes of me are half a dozen dairy farms and feed lots (grain fed pigeons and potentially squirrels). Rabbits and Hares are considered pests out here ect.
>>
>>809539
>survival card
Get rid of those. Learn 4 different knot types instead
>>
>>809647

It was a free, credit card knife/screw driver/wrench/saw/can opener thing. I thought it was cool.
>>
>>809643
Just thought I'd share my knowledge with you. Best of luck mate.
>>
>>809654

I appreciate it. Hoping to take the money I potentially save hunting wild game and invest it back into hunting more game lol.
>>
>>809539
I've fired the mossberg 500 JIC 12 gauge. It was nice enough. I'm not a gun guy though generally.
I feel like you'd actually do better with a .22 though for the kinds of things you were talking about except the deer. ruger 10/22 takedown would be a good choice there IMO.

I'm from Edmonton. One thing that is nice to have is a small packing cheap down jacket in case you get into some cool weather. I'd go also for a small camo tarp. Another thing I suggest is ditch the hatchet and get a bahco folding saw and find an old buck folding knife at a flea market. I've carried the mossberg slung while I was fly fishing with all my fishing gear in a backpack and honestly you don't need any additional weight in a hatchet you probably won't even use.
>>
>>809688

The 10/22 is nice, but it limits wing shooting birds. I couldn't hunt pigeons, ducks or geese with it easily.
>>
>>809656
You are not going to save money hunting small game when you are driving 45 minutes to get there
>>
>>809765

Except I work close to most of these locations. So its more like "Stop working and grab the gun"
>>
>>809592
that's what a big knife is for. think about it. for what you need, what is there a hatchet can do that a knife wouldn't do better?
>>
>>809776
You still won't save any money
>>
>>810502
Naysayer.
>>
>>810409

Are you by any chance retarded? That'd explain a lot.
>>
>>810517
Do the math you deluded faggot
>>
Pack some ziploc bags, keep the rest of your stuff from getting covered in blood, hair, feathers, etc.. How North we talking here? Fort Chip? Consider one of those little saws for game processing, much easier to split a deer's ribcage with that. Hatchet works but it's messy. Would you be fishing from a river or stream? Or little lakes and stuff?
>>
>>809539
Don't hunt medium/large game with a fucking 12g. This is for rabbits/birds only. If you want to kill a large mammal, shoot a real bullet in it's lungs. A slug will most likely only make a flesh wound and it will take forever for him to die if he don't survive.

I know you guys on /k/ love the mosin, it is an excellent hunting gun.
>>
I can understand buying a mossberg for quality reasons, but as far as price goes they don't cost all that much less then a remington. I bought a Remington for around 300 US dollars and it shoots fine even though it's a pain in the butt to load it. Is pricing different in Canada? Shipping doesn't seem like it would make as big of a difference since I got mine close the Canadian border (Minnesota).
>>
>>811333
I'm in the same province as OP, my 870 Sportsman Field cost $440CAD. Would cost a bit more in a rural area. Prices have gone up since then, the shotgun OP wants is $490, a comparable 870 would be about $550.
>>
>>809596
Northern PA too anon, where you at? I'm Susquehanna County.
>>
>>809652
They're just me memes, not actually useful. Carry it if you want, but a Leatherman tool is infinitely more useful.
>>
Alright, first decide what you want to do. Camp, small game hunt, or large game hunt? You have too much going on.

If you're starting off with small game, a 20gauge shot gun is nice, but 12 gauge you can hunt larger game, and just shoot lighter loads for smaller game. Personally for small game I really like a .17hmr. It's a little overkill for something like squirrels, but it works and is versatile. It takes more accuracy and you have to be a decent shot, unlike a shot gun.

Like another anon said, get a hunting vest with a game pouch in the back. They're great.

You'll want a nice sharp knife for processing and skinning the game. A few large zip lock bags are nice too to keep game in once processed.

Bring a few snacks if you want, but just for a day hunt don't worry about stoves and tea and all that BS. Bring some stuff to eat if you plan on being out long, but don't worry about cooking meals.

Take a hunter safety course if you van, there are a lot of rules and laws to follow, it may help you learn some stuff.
>>
>>811335
Ok, so is it an issue regarding the type of 870 and 500 that the OP was comparing? I know that in the US every other one of my friends was going autistic when I told them I was getting a remmington "AAAHHH get the Wingmaster". If I wanted to spend an extra couple hundred dollars I wouldn't have bought a Remington.
>>
>>810409
Big knives are the most meme gear imaginable. Worse than a machete for chopping stuff, worse than a small knife for cutting/actual knife stuff. Hatchet is fine.
>>
everything is clearly meme gear
just go out naked.
>>
>>811347
Also want to know this, Warren County here.
>>
>>809539
K doesn't actually shoot their guns and if they do it's at paper
>>810409
>Big knife
Fuckin retard
>>
>>809539

>Gun+ammo+sling
Good choice w/ mossy, get full + improved cylinder chokes if the gun doesn't come with them. I do 90% of my small game hunting with a 28" mossy
>game bag
For small game I usually just have an old plastic shopping bag to line the inside of my backpack with. I have those reusable cheesecloth bags you get at big box stores for big animals.

Stuff you should add:

>Good first aid kit
Self explanatory. I've added some stuff to mine; quikclot etc.
>binoculars
Invaluable, especially when hunting hares. Prime time for snowshoe hares is dawn and dusk, and you'll find them sitting stock still on the edge of trails and clearcuts, or just into the timber. In fading light it can be difficult to confirm that the lump you're looking at is an animal. Get binos with a good chest harness so they're not in your way.
>copy of hunting regs
Self explanatory

Stuff I'd ditch

>radio
>cards
>hatchet
>excess knives

You can keep all that stuff in your rig.

This thread gets me excited for the upcoming season here in BC.

>spend all day trying to take grouse on the wing
>switch chokes an hour before sundown and head to one of my hare spots
>return tired and happy to my woman with food in hand
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.