[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there such a thing as a paper-based food vacuum bag? Looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (116KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 600x400px
Is there such a thing as a paper-based food vacuum bag? Looking for a better alternative to plastic for backpacking. Namely something I can burn after use and not feel so bad about it.
>>
>>808572
Plastic, metal, and glass about pretty much your only options for vacuum packed stuff. I use glass mason jars for vacuum packing dehydrated stuff I make.
>>
File: 1465755656125.jpg (14KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465755656125.jpg
14KB, 300x400px
>>808572
I can't believe I just read that.
>>
>>808598
>not caring about saving weight
>not knowing about plant and potato-based coatings
>>
>>808572
>>808598
>>808612

He wrote that because you cant make a vacuum bag out of paper dingus.
>>
>>808612
>not knowing you cant create a vacuum bag out of fucking paper

So many reasons this would never be practical
>>
>>808638
>>808643
That is why I said paper-based and not just paper. There are coatings that can be added to paper (such as potato starches) to make it water resistant and potentially air tight.
>>
>>808664
You seem to be in that twilight zone where you are compelled to ask for help, but believe you know enough to argue with the answers.

Please provide a link to the potato based burnable vac bag, or tale notes and ally same when people tell you it doesn't exist.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 361x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 361x440px
>>808612
>>808664
>packing pic related in Mylar so it lasts 12 years
>not just smearing the chicken with potatoes for shelf life infinity

How wasteful are the pretend-friend-to-the-earth MH people really?
>>
Why don't you burn the plastic? Just don't breath the toxins.
>>
>>808819
Better to just leave it in the firepit for the next LNT guy to come along
>>
>>808955
>>808819
Do you guys really burn plastic and leave trash in the woods?
>>
>>809015
burning blastic isn't the end of the world really, but leaving trash inna the woods is bullshit arrogant
>>
Stop being a fagget
>>
>>808572
Not to bust your balls but is it really that hard to just pack out the basically weightless plastic? I do two week AT sections and really have no problems. I bring two dry sacks, one lined with a double trash bag but otherwise empty, the other with all my food. One empties and the other fills up with trash. Hang both each night on the same bear bag line. My trash will have all manner of waste in it including empty tuna packets and stuff but between double lining and dry sack, I get no leakage or odors. And I consider my standards to be high, borderline neurotic, when it comes to animal control so I mean it when I say none of my stuff comes out smelling like rotten food at the end of the day.

You may have your reasons, but don't overthink things. That's my personal tendency but I've worked hard to get over it.
>>
>>809015
>Do you guys really burn plastic
If it had food on it, fuck yeah I do. Bears man.
>and leave trash in the woods?
No, I burn it.
>>
>>809046
>No, I burn it.
>I disperse my trash world wide
Burning it doesn't make it magically disappear
>>
>>809053
You don't get shit like TCDD if your plastic doesn't have chlorine in it
Things like PE and PP burn almost completely to CO2 and H2O if your fire is big enough/the piece of plastic small enough
Sure it'll make some soot too from incomplete combustion, but so does regular wood
>>
>>808572
Why not just bury your trash that doesn't burn?
>>
>paper
>holding a vacuum

Really anon?
>>
File: Saint Edward.jpg (16KB, 539x229px) Image search: [Google]
Saint Edward.jpg
16KB, 539x229px
>>809015
I do. But only "woods" that have previously been destroyed or stripped of their character by over-development and cunty middle class off-leash dog walkers who leave their shitbags hanging from trees beside the trail.

I've literally shit in the middle of trails (usually nasty curry+10 pints of lager shits after a night out), carried trash into the woods with the specific intention of dumping it along the trails in the most obnox... well, I'll stop there, but needless to say I've done plenty other things as well.

Fun things. Things that only annoy people who like their "woods" complete with benches every hundred yards, paved "trails", idiotic mapstands and the like.

Quite often I feel like nature itself is compelling me to do these things.
>>
>>808580
>>808572
>>808598

>>808664
this

A friend of mine who is into solo oceanic crossings takes cheese with him. A fromager told him how to coat them with paper and wax.
This stuff literally lasts for MONTHS at sea even in tropical conditions. The more Wax the longer. It's pretty common for some cheeses to rest for several decades when stored in a cool place.
>>
>>809397
>A friend of mine who is into solo oceanic crossings takes cheese with him.

I have a total hard-on for this sort of thing. Looking into affordable 25-35ft bluewater worthy boats now. Something I can start doing coastal day sails with and build up.

Any insiders advice you can pass on?
>>
>>809031
That's a decent plan except carrying garbage for two weeks. If leaving trash in the woods bothers you leave it at a road crossing
>>
>>808572
>paper
>vacuum
pick one
>>
>>809053
Where do you think it goes once you've packed it out?
>>
>>809404
My friend's the one in the know I'm just the casual imbecile that never complains so he doesn't mind having me around for coastal sails.

The only true advice I guess I learned from him is to be constantly refining your navigational skills including old school celestial with almanac + sextant. He has at least 3 of every piece of gear related to nav and constantly triple checks trajectory with celestial, GPS and dead reck.
>>
Perhaps a thicker paper coated in bees wax or some form of sealant.

I heard of a modern waterproofing technique that places an object in a vacuum and sprays fine particles of a waterphobic material, and because it is in a vacuum, the material somehow enters all of the small crevices of the object to coat every part of the surface with this compound.

Perhaps its possible to apply the same technique to paper and wax to ensure that all of the paper fibers are coated in wax, and then do a final coat of wax on either side to for a seal, and then this may be good enough to use for vacuum sealing an object.

Peace.
>>
>>809015
Bro I burn plastic, styrofoam, mylar, paper, or even dead mice. Mylar bags like MH I just burn then smash it up afterward in he ashes.
>>
>>808572

I love this idea!

Compostable/burnable/biodegradeable food storage bags for hikers. Light weight, bury them in the woods after use! Put seeds in the packaging and tell people they and native to the area and will help restore biodiversity. Hippy day hikers buy them at Target and Bass Pro Shop and spend a mint to feel good about whatever they feel bad about.

I could make a mint if i were't so lazy!
>>
Just carry a few ziplocks. When you are done rinse them in the river.
>>
>>811931
Fucking autocorrect

>rinse

I meant throw
>>
File: 1459634315497.jpg (78KB, 663x586px) Image search: [Google]
1459634315497.jpg
78KB, 663x586px
>>811941
kek
>>
Why not just burn the plastic bags, they dissolve into nothing.

I am able to burn pretty much all of my garbage when I go /out/
>>
>>812028
Exactly, burn and then bury any ashy remnants. Bunch of pussies on this board.

b-b-b-but I pack it out LNT so I can bring it to my recycling center who toss it into an incinerator for me so I'm not responsible for pollution. My little footprint....
>>
>>812028
they just become noxious air pollution. the only thing we can responsibly do is launch our garbage into space and aim it at a star (one we have confirmed supports no planets or delicate life forms), or send it all into a black hole. but even then we're still just trashing up the universe. those atoms don't just disappear!
>>
>>812036
>trashing up the universe
no such thing
the universe is full of trash
>>
>>812046
i think we should load all our trash into giant cargo jets like 747s and 'round the clock dump it on china :3
>>
>>808572
make sure you get pure polyethylene (PE) bags, burns clean, not worse than an ethanol stove.
stop buying into shitty myths
>>
>>812036
>those atoms don't just disappear
and it's great they don't, we'd be fucked otherwise
when burning PE bags you get water and carbon dioxide.
you only have to make sure it gets enough oxygen.
when there is not enough oxygen carbon monoxide might form, which is toxic, but highly instable and turns into carbon dioxide very soon with oxygen from the air.
>>
1000 /out/ers burning plastic for a year probably doesnt equal the pollution a factory makes in 1 day

Who gives a shit.
>>
>>812081
its even less carbon dioxide than the people of one city produce every minute by just breathing
the plants in your /out/location would even thank you if they could
>>
File: CO2-fertilization.png (188KB, 468x291px) Image search: [Google]
CO2-fertilization.png
188KB, 468x291px
>>812084
This
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.