[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /out/! I've decided to become the next Johnny Appleseed,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14

File: apple-tree.jpg (214KB, 808x606px) Image search: [Google]
apple-tree.jpg
214KB, 808x606px
Hello /out/! I've decided to become the next Johnny Appleseed, planting apple trees wherever I go hiking.

I've already got a few clearings in some state game lands near me picked out, but I've never really planted trees before. Would it be better to plant a bunch of germinated seeds close together, or would it be best to grow saplings at home and take them with me to plant? If the latter, how would you recommend that I carry them?
>>
I hope you realize you can't just dump apple seeds and expect them to grow.

and keep your shit trees out of public parks, no ones waiting for your shitty apples.
>>
Do some research before you go ahead with your plan. If you just plant seeds you'll probably just end up with shitty apples no one wants.
>>
>>808498
Thats not how planting apple trees works (if you want people to be able to eat them that is).

For example if you wanted a Granny Smith apple tree you cant just plant seeds from a Granny Smith apple. The apples you would get from that tree would most likely be nothing like Granny Smith apples.

You need to cut a branch from the apple tree you want, put it into rooting hormone and then plant that shit where you want.
>>
>>808513
>and then plant that shit where you want.
and then it'll die because apples are grafted.

RIP.
>>
>>808515
You're probably right but just taking a branch from an apple tree worked for me twice in my backyard and they are both about 15 years old now
>>
>>808516
it'll probably work with the older variations.

the newer cultivates are all prone to fungi and pests, their seeds won't even germinate unless they're grown in sterile conditions.
>>
>>808498
Clearings

They probably get mowed.

>>808507
That is exactly how apples seeds work. I have a few apple trees on my farm I personally grew from seed. Only one is struggling.

>>808515
>>808520
>all this ignorance

Another triptroll it seems.
>>
>>808523
>That is exactly how apples seeds work
only in your disney fantasy world, other than that nope.
>>
>>808526
Eh, what? I'm pretty sure the applesauce I made came from the trees I grew from seed.
>>
>>808529
what do you think the germination rate of apple seed is?
>>
>>808531
For me it has been about 90%. I'll actually be planting more "soon" to replace some of the oldest trees on the property.
>>
>>808534
it's about 30%.

now imagine what their germination rate is in state forests.

then imagine what their survival rate is even if they germinate.
>>
>>808535
No, I'm pretty sure it is about 90%. I happened to be there when I was planting. 100% survival rate thus far. Though, like I said, 1 tree hasn't done anything at all while the rest look completely normal.

>now imagine what their germination rate is in state forests.
>then imagine what their survival rate is even if they germinate.

It depends more on the hole, location, and time of year you plant (plant seeds in the fall). You can't plant them in open ground. They have to be in with other vegetation or they just get eaten off.
>>
>>808537
> I happened to be there when I was planting.
your anecdotes don't change statistics.

if OP wants enough seeds for any of them to actually make it to adulthood he better start eating apples for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
>>
>>808539
I was talking about my trees and made a clear distinction about variables with planting trees in random locations.

Are you ok, you seem a little "fuzzy-minded" to me? Have something to eat perhaps.
>>
>>808541
judging from
>the applesauce I made
you probably have one of the older variations.

they're kind of shitty when eaten raw because they're mushy as fuck hence why they're used for appelmoes, the newer variations have a bit more structure to them.

either way the survival rate for seeds in some state forest is going to be next to zero.

and considering OP wants to plant them on hikes he probably wants to suprise people with some nice fresh apples, but instead they'll get a face full of stale mush.
>>
>>808547
You are making a lot of assumptions, all of which are completely incorrect. Also, you don't use "mush" apples to make applesauce. Do you speak another language primarily? Perhaps you think apples are some other type of fruit? I'm really curious, because you are either speaking from a miscommunication here or outright ignorance and I doubt it is the latter unless you are purposely trolling for some reason.
>>
File: 1384375124833.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1384375124833.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>808548
>you don't use "mush" apples to make applesauce.
is this a joke.
>>
>>808549
You use an apple grinder/Food Chopper to turn ripe apples into bits then you cook it to turn it into mush. Alternatively, you can use a strainer like a Squeezo to turn them into even smaller bits and "mush" them. I use the later method.
>>
File: 1457643465433.png (192KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
1457643465433.png
192KB, 501x445px
>>808566
appelmoes is generally made from softer/imperfect apples because you'll end up cooking the flavour of the harder ones to shit before they're ready.
>>
>>808592
Apple sauce uses all the apples you don't have room for using other storage methods and typically done with apples that do not store well. It has nothing to do with their texture as a variety. Same for drying them.
>>
>>808600
>It has nothing to do with their texture as a variety.
softer apples boil faster.

wasting perfectly good hard apples on appelmoes is ridiculous to the point where it's almost offensive.
>>
>>808603
Are there any other topics you'd like to discuss that you have no experience in?
>>
>>808592
>using mushy apples to make appelmoes (apple sauce)
>not using fresh, firm, acidic ones like goudreinetten (Belle de Boskoop)

You're utterly tasteless plont. I bet when you make apple sauce you don't even leave it slightly chunky but replicate the soupy jarred stuf you buy at the grocery store.
>>
>>808615
>he wastes good apples on appelmoes.
>leaves it chunky.
it's not possible to be any more gay about apples.
>>
File: triptrolls.png (68KB, 1220x866px) Image search: [Google]
triptrolls.png
68KB, 1220x866px
Always remember, you have the power to filter triptrolls already built into 4chan for you. Just learn to use it.
>>
>>808711
Garbage in = garbage out. And yes I leave it chunky because that way I can have a product of superior taste and texture. I bet you also add nothing but sugar and powered cinnamon, you homophobic boor.
>>
File: 1397425950338.jpg (17KB, 245x204px) Image search: [Google]
1397425950338.jpg
17KB, 245x204px
>>808736
>>
>>808498
Stop thinking your bong induced ideas are actually worth pursuing champ.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>808736
You're missing out on a large part of the 4chan experience!
>>
>>808786
as if I'd give my secret recipe to an uncultured swine.

don't choke while gargling those chunky bits.
>>
>>808813
I suppose you put all your food in the blender for fear of choking? I can already picture your sunken cheeks from muscular atrophy due to a complete lack of chewing. Tell me plont, what caused this fear of choking on your food?
>>
>>808804

>this fucking coca-cola-queer
>>
>>808736
Thanks.
>>
>>808507
But what will I feed my out door cats/pitbulls?
>>
>>808498
Nicely done, op!

I'm changing my name to Paul and buying a blue ox for /out/!
>>
File: MGTOW.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
This is a troll thread you fucking idiots.
>>
File: OP forever not out.jpg (171KB, 631x700px) Image search: [Google]
OP forever not out.jpg
171KB, 631x700px
>>808498
>OP thinks he can become a fictional character
>comes to /out/ for advice
>/out/ thinks OP can become a fictional character
>offers advice on becoming a fictional character
>nobody realizes that OP is 100% lying about his commitment to this project
>OP never has and never will deliver
>/out/ is completely talking about this like it can happen
>/out/ is fully vested in this project
>/out/ starts having hopes that OP will bring project to fruition
>never knowing that OP is playing a sick game from his mothers basement
>OP has never been /out/
>OP only posts in /out/ to imagine what the outside world is like, hiking, camping experiencing the most beautiful elements of nature
>OP knows full well they will never again go /out/
>OP knows they cannot go out
>OP's allergies from birth and their incredible obesity prevent them from spending too much time outside areas flat landed by concrete
>OP and /out/ are star-crossed lovers
>they can never be together
>not truly
>only in the lies that OP brings to /out/
>only in the hopes and dreams OP weaves for /out/
>that is the only realm of reality OP and /out/ can exist together
>>
>>808982
tl;dr
>>
>>808498
Apples are for hippies.
If you really want to help the earth you should be planting opium poppies and marijuanas.
>>
OP here. Sorry I didn't realize how complex growing apple trees can be.

Here's another theoretical question: what if I'm planting these trees not for people to eat (though it would be ideal), but for deer and other game? Does texture and apple type matter then? I figure it's more ethical than other bait systems
>>
>>808531
>he thinks there are no species of apple trees with higher germination rates.
>non-bio boii pls go.
>>
File: crabapples_autumn.jpg (254KB, 600x801px) Image search: [Google]
crabapples_autumn.jpg
254KB, 600x801px
>>809175
It doesn't matter what type it is for wildlife except for those tiny little crabapples in this image. Deer love every other type of apple but ignore those things. Gamefowl also eat fallen apples. Chickens love them too.

Growing apples trees isn't complex at all. You literally plant and forget, but if you want an orchard, I suggest the $100 hole method.
>>
File: ghor4.jpg (829KB, 2765x1843px) Image search: [Google]
ghor4.jpg
829KB, 2765x1843px
>>809179
there's plenty, barely any of them are tasty though.
>>809184
crabapples are eaten by ducks when they're rotting on the floor.
>>
OP, who the fuck do you think you are that you're so important that you can just go around fucking up nature that is there to be enjoyed (and left untouched) by the rest of us?

This is the same level of fuckery as people who carve their names into trees/rocks or throw garbage into hot springs at yellowstone.

Nobody wants random apple trees all over the damn place, you could destroy habitats with those or spread disease to places it wouldn't normally go.
>>
>>809747
I live in a state where its common to find 'wild' citrus trees. I quite enjoy them actually, and i believe if I lived northern, I would enjoy wild apples and plums and sweet cherrys. most of the time they aren't even wild, just old orchards of a times past that a forest had sprouted around, and the land sold to some land grabbers, waiting for the prices to shoot up in the future [now days] so they can sell to some cuckolds wanting to build apartments or vacation homes.
>>
>>809747
Speak for yourself. I, for one, would love to stumble across random fruit trees /out/. And he won't destroy any habitats... modify them, at best, and wtf diseases? Shows how much you know.

Also OP, try seedballs to disperse the seeds?
>>
>>809184
Apple trees should be pruned occasionally to ensure Max yield
>>
>>808498

Snowflake hipster

Make sure you add a filter to your video so it looks like 8mm
>>
File: humanity at work.jpg (74KB, 590x390px) Image search: [Google]
humanity at work.jpg
74KB, 590x390px
>>809747
>OP, who the fuck do you think you are that you're so important that you can just go around fucking up nature

Human, that is who and what he is. That gives him the right to fuck up nature as much as he wants and there's not a god damn thing that will stop him or others, short of ecosystem collapse; thus, extinction of humanity.

Stand back, humanity at work here.
>>
>>809822

>it won't destroy them, just destroy them
>wtf, how does putting non-native species into an area introduce disease?

You must have a sub-high school tier education.

>>809814

That's different than purposefully shitting up nature.

>>809966

I tip my fedora to you, kid. Thanks for telling me we could eradicate all life on earth if we wanted to by dropping atomic bombs everywhere.

The point wasn't that he couldn't do it, the point is that he shouldn't.

Why shouldn't I come and plant bamboo in the woods behind your house so that it will invade and destroy your yard? Or how about kudzu?

I'm a human, so there's nothing stopping me from being a self absorbed dick, right? :^)
>>
File: IMAG1728.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1728.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
Perfect thread to ask for help since op is retarded.
Pic relayed are a couple of my apple trees.

I followed some guides on how to prune them last February but I looks like I messed up. I still have branches growing straight up into the air.
From what I read, that is exactly what I don't want. Am I going to just have to hack them off all and let the branches below grow out?
>>
File: IMAG1729.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1729.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
>>810288
Another tree
>>
Ive thought about this, traveling all over planting poke berry seeds.
>>
>>810252
>Why shouldn't I come and plant bamboo in the woods behind your house so that it will invade and destroy your yard?

Because I already did that. I get like 500 tomato stakes a year from them.

>Or how about kudzu?

Because it dies in the winter and doesn't return.
>>
>>810377
madman
>>
>>810252
You are very upset and I'm having trouble understanding why.
>>
I know where there are about 10 100 yearold apple trees scattered up the boise river probably planted by long gone homesteaders. The apples are really good.

But op, don't be a faggot, Jonny Appleseed didn't use seed. Buy saplings for $2 or $3. You can fund it by sucking cock or collecting cans and live long enough to eat the fruit and share it with wild l ife or passers-by.
>>
There are quite a few apple trees on the side of the road from Canberra to Cooma/Thredbo from all the snow crowd throwing apples out of their wondows.
>>
>>811995
How do they taste?
>>
>>811957
Yeah, I definitely think saplings are the way to go. My biggest problem is transporting them and planting them, because I'm not sure about the legality of planting stuff on state-owned land.
>>
>>813041
Hope you get arrested for introducing non native species
>>
File: 1432719458841.png (260KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
1432719458841.png
260KB, 500x456px
>>810445
>dies in winter and doesn't return
heh
>>
Don't introduce non native species to the environment! Buy a plot of land and grow an apple orchard if you are so fucking desperate.
>>
>>813400
Evidently it doesn't like -40 temps. I've tried 3 times to start it and gave up. It does REALLY well all summer though.

>>813410
Fuck off. As humans we have a right to do anything we want.
>>
>>813462

If humans have the right to do anything that we want can I heli-drop an olympic-sized swimming pool worth of cum on top of your trailer?

You shouldn't mind right, since as a human I can do whatever I want. Maybe it'll freeze into a giant cum-cube since apparently you live in a trailer park on the north-pole somewhere where it hits -40 F regularly.

Maybe I'll throw in a fedora for free for extra #tipping

It's only human :^)
>>
>>811995
That is hilarious, I'll have to try and spot them some time
>>
>>813835
>plants apple seed
>lives long healthy life waiting for tree to get big enough
>>
>>813717
You seem obsessed with "c*m."
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.