[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/. As just finished my 1st year of Uni, our generous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: whyamisopoor.jpg (135KB, 736x452px) Image search: [Google]
whyamisopoor.jpg
135KB, 736x452px
Sup /out/.
As just finished my 1st year of Uni, our generous and thoughtful housing advisers now graciously grant us the great privilege of living off campus. As I've looked at rent for most places nearby, I've realized I can own a camper for the rest of my 3 years for 1 year's rent.

So my question is, if I were to go trough with just getting a camper, where would I put it for power and sewage? What are some problems of living in a camper long term? My college is in a small mountain town with around 15k students so it's not huge, I was just trying to see if it's actually a sound plan. Thanks boys, you guys seem to know this shit better than anyone.

TL;DR How do I live out of a camper for 3 years?

Post 'em if you've got 'em, vintage ones give me a raging hard-on.
>>
File: DSC00536-L.jpg (104KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00536-L.jpg
104KB, 800x600px
>>807967
>power
Avoid utility-powered products... inverters are very inefficient. Most of what you'll need is available in 12v flavors, including laptop power supplies.
Solar can help offset some of the draw, but it's unlikely you can go completely off-grid. Need a lot of surface area to run appliances and recharge what you use through the night.
I'd get a 20- or 50-amp charger and plug it in periodically. I can recharge my trailer's battery in about 3 hours off my 20A and generator, and that battery will typically go 24+ hours with lights/furnace. (Laptop charges from 120 when I run the gen.)
LED lighting lasts longer and uses less power.
Isolate your vehicle's battery from the trailer. Some tow rigs have a relay on the 12v-aux pin on the RV connector, others (like mine) leave it connected to the trailer. If I don't disconnect the two, I could potentially drain both truck and trailer battery and not be able to start the truck.

Insulate everything if you're using it in the winter.

>sewage
Wouldn't bother. Make a quick trip to the gym or dorms for shower/shit.
>>
>>807975
What about water?
With all of it would I be better off at a campground?
>>
>>807985
See if they will let you park it on campus.
Go solar like anon says.
Get a portable cassette toilet and shower at the guym.
Save a fuckton of cash to pay down student debt.

This is how my brother got through school.
>>
File: DSC_2838_-L.jpg (63KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2838_-L.jpg
63KB, 800x533px
>>807985
>What about water?
What about it?
How much do you go through in a day/week?

2gal or 5gal insulated water coolers work well, and they've got a spigot on the bottom.
Contents stay cold in the summer (throw a 10lb bag of ice in there and top it off with water, you're good for 2-3 days) and don't freeze in the winter.
>>
Why are you fucking up your life going to college?
>>
File: 1467421604441.jpg (146KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467421604441.jpg
146KB, 1080x1080px
>>808062
Not all men will be accused of rape at college anon, and maybe he can escape crushing debt with finacial aids?
Also , anon might be getting one of those crazy degrees where you might get a good paying job afterward.
>>
>>808068
You got one thing right, college is

>financial aids
>>
>>807967
Hurdur /out/ spoon feed me. Muh trustfund wont work outside my college campus and I don't want to get a job.

>I know for sure that a camper will cost 1 year in rent.

>so guys what should I get? What will I need?

Literally this post shows how college isn't teaching people shit.

And if you don't understand the point in this post. You're as dumb as OP.
>>
File: 1462677891717.png (460KB, 979x735px) Image search: [Google]
1462677891717.png
460KB, 979x735px
Hi OP, I camped with my parents when I was a kid. As a matter of fact we had a travel trailer just like the one in your pic. Eventually we bought a bigger one. We went to campgrounds, state, county or private and used our own bathroom and also had water and electric hookups on our site. Getting a long term campsite might work for you. And there are trailer parks where people live in trAilers. My gf has a friend who lives in one. You might even be able to rent or own need at one of these places. See if there are locations near you. Good luck.
>>
File: 1381871712228.jpg (1MB, 3136x1875px) Image search: [Google]
1381871712228.jpg
1MB, 3136x1875px
Much the same OP. I'm shelling out 9k a year in the bay for rent and Ive seen some really nice buses going for less than that. Just have to get that much in one place at one time.
>>
>>808385
that image is so comfy
>>
>>807967
That's not a camper. That's a trailer. A camper sits IN the bed of a truck and has no wheels. You need something to tow that trailer. Do you have something to tow the trailer? Don't buy a trailer if you don't have a tow vehicle. RVs are hard to live in, in the winter. Most RVs are not designed to withstand the winter. Plumbing freezes. Most people "winterize" their RV - replace the water with a nontoxic antifreeze so pipes don't burst while it sits unused in the winter. The roofs aren't designed to withstand snow and ice well. Which is not to say it can't be done... just that it is not easy. Also, vintage trailers have like zero insulation and often single-pane windows.
>>
>>809297
>A camper sits IN the bed of a truck and has no wheels.

That is a silly regional definition and is no longer really used anywhere.
How old are you?
>>
>>809312
It's okay that you're wrong. Lots of people call a horse's halter a "bridle" or a "harness" too. But if you are shopping or researching or talking to adults, using the correct terminology can be helpful. It's the great thing about language; the ability to efficiently convey information to even the most retarded of posters.
>>
It's a solid plan m8. You're not going to have free rent per say, but it'll be waaay cheaper to go this route. I'd just pony up for the camper then find a rv park and pay month to month to use the water, sewage, etc. hookups. Then when you're done you'll have a camper you can sell and get some money back. My sister just got married and lives in a 30 foot camper with her husband for now. Smart smart smart move, save your money. The main thing to watch out for is a leaky roof, that can be a bitch. They have a really nice camper. 2006-ish only used a few times by some elder folks who bought it and didn't really go camping. It's in great shape but there's a small leak when it rains. They tried to patch it but roof work on a camper is always meh. They ended up just getting a metal shed carport type thing and they park it under that. Keeps the camper cool in the summer as well since it's in the shade. My old 600 sq ft. apartment rent was $725 so that's almost $9,000 a year. Not including electricity, water, etc. I could have bought a nice camper for that amount, then sold it for maybe $7,000 when done and have $7,000 in my pocket. This is a really good idea to save money, think of all the extra dough you'll have each month to do stuff. You should start searching craigslist today, see what's in your price range.
>>
>>809361
Type "camper" into google.
Hit images.
1 in 50 is on a truck ,most are caravans or RVs
>>
>>809425
Stroll in to RV sales lot. Say you are interested in a camper. See what ensues. Just because a large portion of the non-industry populace mis-uses the term doesn't make it correct. "Irregardless" and "I could care less" and "begs the question" and "for all intensive purposes".... Google hits don't make it correct.
>>
>>809427
Salesman are smarter than that anon.
They dont use industry lingo with the gen pop.
Usage makes right anon. This is a linguistics law.
>>
>>808385
if that pic was a real trailer, wouldn't it be too wide to go on the road?
>>
>>809438
Looks more like a UPS type panel van to me.
>>
>>809438
yeah it does look like it would have to be compressed about 2' to be a standard size. which sucks because... a foot less for living space and a foot less for the bed i guess? that shower isn't gonna be so cumpfy anymore that's fer sher
>>
>>809068
>you will never travel the country in re-purposed bus from hell
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.