[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ I have a question about vehicles. I have a 4runner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1462835704523.jpg (148KB, 831x831px) Image search: [Google]
1462835704523.jpg
148KB, 831x831px
Hey /out/ I have a question about vehicles. I have a 4runner with a decent engine and tires but it's only 2 wheel drive. My question is, if i want to go innawoods or innamountains, would it be worth it to try and make my current setup more /out/, shocks and such, or would it be better to find a 4wd?

Tldr; how important is 4wd?
>>
>>807370
>If you're not driving a 4wd monster truck to Starbucks for a $6 coffee, like 96% of all 4wd owners, you will surely die

Embrace the meme.
>>
4wd is mostly a waste. It costs more, makes for a worse drive and mpg and isnt needed except if you are a manlet
>>
>>807370
Get stuck a few times and then ask yourself if you need it. Until then get a winch and a high lift jack and learn how to use them
>>
>>807401
You only engage 4wd when it's required. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>807424
This

>>807370
Depends. If you have some knobby tires, ground clearance, and aren't retarded, you can get pretty far wirh 2WD. Hopefully it at least has a LSD.

And if you do want to trade up for something with 4WD, make sure you do it right. The AWD in so many crossovers and cars these days is garbage off road. Having something with a range selector and locking diffs is a world of difference from the """4WD""" in the crossover your mom bought because it snows twice a year where you live.

If you are going real remote, whether you get something with good 4WD or not, you may want to think about a winch.
>>
>>807424
> I only engage my rear e-locker when needed

FTFY.

2wd w/locking rear, good tires and chains is 98+% coverage. Paying for that 2% is paying for diminishing returns.
>>
>>807421
What sort of conditions should I try to avoid?
>>
>>807370
OP i currently have similar problem tacoma 2wd

solution is LSD or locking Diff and good tires

depending on your 4runner you might already have wiring for a locking diff and just need the button, a fuse, and locking diff.
>>
>>807433
But it's never required for 99% of people who buy it. I lived in sun valley idaho for several years with a 2wd and never had a problem in snow or in the mountains
>>
>>807444
Ok I'm pretty new so this mightbe a dumb question, but what is a lsd?
>>
File: i-gFz6DZc-L.jpg (88KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-gFz6DZc-L.jpg
88KB, 800x600px
>>807526
Limited-slip differential.

4x4 is generally unnecessary, but when you need it, no amount of tires or lockers is going to help you. Does help on snow/ice.
>pic related was a really shitty drive, highway patrol was closing the gates not very far behind us
>watched a parked truck with enclosed trailer slide sideways about 3 feet from a gust of wind

>>807370
How attached are you to that vehicle? Paid for? Runs good?
And what do you want to do with it?
A good set of tires can get you places.
Personally I wouldn't waste my time/money installing lockers or even a winch on a 2WD vehicle.
>>
I live innawoods, and in the winter, trucks need AWD or 4WD to make it up my road. I've yet to have my FWD impala in the winter, so I dunno how itll work.

But I do know that my F150 couldn't make it up my mountain dirt road without 4wd, even with brand new tires. I'd say trade your 4runner for a tacoma
>>
>>807370
I have a 4wd trooper ii and honestly even going in the woods and such I've rarely ever needed the 4wd. I don't go mudding or anything though.

Only time I really needed 4 low that I can remember was pulling my brothers jeep out of the mud cause he got it stuck like an idiot.

Ground clearance is probably the most important thing for general wilderness use.
>>
>>807533
Yeah it's all paid for and runs excellent and pretty low miles for the year. I'm not particularly emotionally attached but for the moment I am kinda financially attatched.
Ideally, the intention is more of an adventure car in the mountains and forests in the Sierra Nevadas. I don't really care about mudding but it would be nice if it wasn't totally useless in the mud.
>>
>>807435
Mud/swamps, don't stop or your basically fucked.
No rock crawling obviously.
Get a winch like others suggested.
I run a 2wd f150 inna woods and she works fine.
>>
>>807557
>wilderness
>in a vehicle
lol nope

backcountry, yes
wilderness, no.
>>
File: 45666221235456.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
45666221235456.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>807370

RIP legions 17-19
>>
>>807456
> 98% vs.99%

Are you disputing the difference between 1% or did you misread mmy post?
>>
>>807753
No.
>>
4WD doesn't mean you will never need a tow truck.
It just means you will be farther from civilization when you do need a tow truck.
>>
>>807370

You should know OP, that when you are in a National Forest in America, if the road number is written horizontally, then the road is "allegedly" suitable for 2WD passenger vehicles.
If the road number is written vertically, then you will need a 4WD.
Be warned that not every forest adheres to this.
While it largely holds true in Southern Utah, it is not necessarily true in New Mexico.
>>
>>807533
Was that in Wyoming?
>>
File: 208-FILE0308_-L.jpg (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
208-FILE0308_-L.jpg
171KB, 800x600px
>>807843
Yeah, wonderful I-80.

Red Mtn Pass near Durango's another fun one.
Cliff on one side going up, cliff on the other side going a long ways down.
It's maybe 1.5 lanes wide. Generous one-lane, definitely not a two-lane.
Gets snowy/icy/shitty often in the winter.
Last time I did it was in a 1.5-ton dually pickup with a 35ft trailer.
>>
>>807896
I used to drive truck long haul and Wyoming was my least favorite place to drive through.

Would be an awesome place to live, but just driving through sucks.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_172348667_HDR-L.jpg (102KB, 600x803px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_172348667_HDR-L.jpg
102KB, 600x803px
>>807951
I80 pretty much sucks. I typically estimate 7mpg headed westbound because of the wind (i'll get 14-15 coming back which is nice).

I miss living there. Put more user-days on the sled in Wyoming this year than anywhere else though, still get up that way quite a bit in the winter months.

Work's discussed moving manufacturing ops to northern CO, if that happened I'd seriously consider moving back to Wyo.

There's places that suck bad though... rawlins, rock springs both come to mind. RS is a fucking toilet.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.