[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you attach a Reverse Osmosis membeane to a camping filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (24KB, 442x246px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 442x246px
Can you attach a Reverse Osmosis membeane to a camping filter and get RO quality water from a clean source?

Would I need a hand pump for it too?
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 1200x1200px
So far Ive found

http://safewaterpro.com/portable-reverse-osmosis-water-filter-for-camping/

Talking about how it CAN be done, I am just wondering how. I know I would need a hand pump (no electricity) and probably a camp filter to pre-filter the water in streams, lakes, rivers est est.

Is there a spcific filter I can buy thats not a complete set? So far I have found

>http://m.bonanza.com/listings/aquarium-compact-ro-water-filter-system-made-in-us/198484795?goog_pla=1&gpid=76983190141&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o4&ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjwqdi7BRCL6Zmjk5-rsTwSJABmrVabIRvcMWRbrMiuRh0RHK8TWMbQYhh8ao4TJ5u-ff31cRoCvePw_wcB

>https://www.amazon.com/Abundant-Flow-Water-PRO-Alpha-Portable/dp/B004T3JH6W

From the article, they both are highly expensive $120+ and have to have hand pumps attached for even more cash.

What I am looking to do is,

>Find a water filter setup that can produce reverse osmosis quality 7-10PPM disovled solids.
>Make it myself by either A) Attaching a camp filter (like the sawyer mini, MSR, est) onto it so I can filter easily from backwoods sources. And B) Make it lightweight and portable enough to either fit in a small backpack or be portable.

I will probably need a handpump from a hardware store, and it may be expensive. But, I would like to be able to build it myself and save cash or space (either one or both).

>http://www.waterfilters.net/camping-water-filter.html

From this link I know it can, and is doable for under $120.
>>
No because without proper maintenance and pretreatment the RO membrane will be wrecked before too long.

You would need to prefilter, soften, pH control, and dose with antiscalant.

Might it work for a bit? Sure, but it is a waste of money as there are way better methods for treating water. RO is only important if you have to remove salts or have to get hardness extremely low for steam boilers. If you wanted good water after RO you would have to add back minerals too.
>>
>>805749
Boil your water to kill bacteria and viruses. After boiling pour the pre-boiled water through a carbon filter (re: charcoal) to remove harmful, non-organic substances

You now have potable water.
>>
>>806362
Or stop being a pussy and just drink the water.
>>
File: image%3A28616.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A28616.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>806365
>>
>>806372
I've been drinking mountain stream water and eating raw burger for 50 years. I don't intend to stop or change my ways now.
>>
>>806381
An old fogey set in his ways? Say it aint so. Get off the internet gramps and take the rest of your kind with you, we dont want your jaded old asses shitposting all over our board anymore.
>>
>>806399
Fuck off, junior sc/out/. The oldfags are some of the most helpful around, even if they're cranks.
t. 1981
>>
>>806405
Helpful deez nuts. They are the most biased, shitposting faggots on the board.
>>
>>806444(praise kek)
OP here, trips are wasted proclaiming truth.

So far >>806343 is the only real reply to which,

There are "camping" RO filters that work fine in the outdoors. And I think I will buy one, but would it be possible to attach the sawyer mini anyway? As the camping filters have a pre-filter setup.
>>
>>806444
Nah. We made the internet, and it belongs to us. You kids are the ones shitting it up.

>>806693
>praising kek
If you want real replies, or at least a more reasoned and technically thorough ridicule, ask /diy/ and try not to out yourself as a dumb frogposter.
>>
>>806693
check the water pressure required for the RO membrane.

I run one at home for my fish tank, it requires at least 65psi I think. That's probably way more pressure than you can get with a hand pump. And that's the minimum it will work with.

as the other anon mentioned, wild water is going to trash your membrane in short order. Even with prefilters you'll go through membranes so quick it'd be cheaper to hire sherpas to carry bottled water for you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.