[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which would be the hardest /out/ accomplishment? >crossing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

Which would be the hardest /out/ accomplishment?

>crossing the Drake Passage alone in a small boat
>climbing K2 as a noob climber
>hiking the Gobi Desert with only enough supplies to barter for goods with the locals (if you encounter any)
>>
File: wachusett.jpg (70KB, 309x213px) Image search: [Google]
wachusett.jpg
70KB, 309x213px
This is a toughie. It's almost impossible to say honestly, as everyone has different talents and weaknesses.

For example, a paraplegic walking all the way up Mt. Wachusett is a way more heroic accomplishment than than an olympic athlete running a marathon in Death Valley.

I think circumventing the entire planet on foot and kayak would be ridickudonk. Would presumably take years.
>>
>>804628

It depends on how you define "hard"

K2 and the Gobi would both be almost certainly fatal. I don't think they let ANYONE up K2 anymore...
>>
>>804628
I'm gonna go with K2. Experienced climbers die all the time, a noob has literally 0% of succeeding.

The other two, while incredibly difficult, just feel much more feasible.
>>
>>804639
How long would traveling the world take? I was thinking about traveling and trying the fishing jobs in lots of coastal countries, might as well check out other places as well.
>>
Hardest /out/ accomplishment is lifelong hermit status and living independentally off the land without a need for money. The lack of communication with people would drive anyone mad.
>>
File: dick_proenneke_dutch_doors.jpg (63KB, 550x787px) Image search: [Google]
dick_proenneke_dutch_doors.jpg
63KB, 550x787px
>>804650
>the lack of communication with people would drive anyone mad.

No
>>
>>804653
He communicated some though; had a plane drop off supplies every month or two, sent and recieved mail, plus putting together a documentary the way he did must have given him a sense, at least, of connection to humanity.

Now Timothy Treadwell went full batshit bananas out there in just a few short months, even with more regular human interaction. I suppose it depends on your unique predisposition.
>>
>>804645
This.
K2 has killed 1 of 4 who have attempted it. And those are highly experienced mountaineers. A "noob" has no chance.
>>
>>804666

>he doesn't know that the Drake only became (somewhat) reliably passable in the 20th century with modern gigantic superships and that anything prior was a death sentence
>he doesn't know about the the Mongolian death worm
>>
>>804668
https://youtu.be/rTkkklmeFOU
>>
Mongolian death worm

I'll see your death worm and raise you a Yeti.
>>
>>804639
Pretty sure it would be full on impossible to cross the Atlantic in a kayak
>>
File: noaa_snow_cover_mollweide1.jpg (43KB, 468x234px) Image search: [Google]
noaa_snow_cover_mollweide1.jpg
43KB, 468x234px
>>804686
oh definitely impossible. but i was almost sorta thinking it would have to be done way up by the pole during winter. Candada -> Greenland -> Ice Sheet -> Russia

It's a hypothetical, I'm making no assertions about the plausibility of this.
>>
>>804686
it's been done. it wasn't like it was a kayak you could buy at rei, but at least one guy did it
>>
File: 1297835429123_ORIGINAL.jpg (45KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
1297835429123_ORIGINAL.jpg
45KB, 650x366px
>>804692
>>804686
It happens every couple of years actually.

I think the Pacific has been done too.
>>
>>804668
People regularly sail the Drake Passage in ~50 foot boats.

It's not inconceivable that someone could solo it in a 30 footer. It's much more likely than an experienced climber summiting K2.
>>
>>804666
K2 has one fatality for every 4 SUMMITS, so no. There are lot more people that have tried and turned back.
>>
>>804628
Damn you really gave it a thought this time. I'll think about it and come back to you with an answer
>>
File: Hugo Vihlen.jpg (31KB, 400x592px) Image search: [Google]
Hugo Vihlen.jpg
31KB, 400x592px
>>804686
>>
>>804950
that's no kayak friend, that's a sailboat
>>
>only enough supplies to barter for goods with the locals

how much peanut butter are we talking here?
>>
>>804978
and its smaller than >>804709
>>
>>805056
As much as you can carry unaided in your pack
>>
File: StefanMolyneux.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
StefanMolyneux.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>804709
Not an kayak
>>
>>804950
nice boat name.
i wonder how it is to jerk off at night in that thing
>>
>>805587
That's not even the smallest one he crossed the Atlantic in
>>
Urbexing in Detroit without getting shot/stabbed.
>>
File: lindeman.jpg (39KB, 251x403px) Image search: [Google]
lindeman.jpg
39KB, 251x403px
>>805577
>>
Southpole expedition without modern military hardware.
>>
>>806036
Das a sailboats
>>
>>806275
|t's a mostly stock 2 man Klepper with a sail kit.
>>
File: image.png (448KB, 770x816px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
448KB, 770x816px
>>806190
> Without a flamethrower

Ftfy
>>
>>804650
You underestimate my power
>>
>>804650
My dad was in a Soviet prison/gulag (he taught a forbidden subject in university) and 1 whole year of his imprisonment was in solitary, told me even the guards wouldn't talk to you or look at you.
He came out fine, although in his favor was his amazingly strong will and mind, still the smartest person I ever met and I met 2 Nobel winners.
>>
>>806190
ok, there's a lot of fine civilian hardware built for polar expeditions...
>>
>>806333
Not anti polar expeditions though
>>
>>806330
are you f'oréal? that's fucked. what did he teach?
>>
>>806353
Gender equality studies
>>
>>806353
He taught History, the kind they didn't like, the real one.
He got 13 years in a gulag, served 7 and 1 of those were in solitary.
>>
>>806364
sssssooo how old was he in the goolagg? and after getting out he met ya mum and made you or before?
>>
>>806373
I think he was around 24 to 27, he got out at 33 if I'm not mistaken.
met my mom long after, and I was made, when he was 60.
He died at 80 in 2010
>>
>>806388
wow. sorry to hear that though anon. but i guess 80 is nothin' to complain about. i bet he had neat stories.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.