[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey anons I love playing guitar How can I play guitar when I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: tosin_abas_E.jpg (38KB, 636x960px) Image search: [Google]
tosin_abas_E.jpg
38KB, 636x960px
Hey anons
I love playing guitar
How can I play guitar when I'm out camping? Is it possible to purchase a tiny guitar that can be folded up and isn't susceptible to the perils of humidity and temperature fluctuation? I don't care if it sounds like shit, I just want some strings under my fingers on those comfy campfire nites

>pls respond
>>
Get a washburn rover. Or one of those AA-powered mini electrics with the speaker built in.
>>
A lot of people I know play the Ukulele, not the same, but its playing not too dissimilar, and easy to pick up.
>>
>>804626
Martin Traveler...but it'll get ruined you say.
Rainsong....but it's 2 grand you say.
Here's the best answer. 3/4 size Walmart special. The can be had for 30 bucks and can be made playable. Hell, mine plays better that the Fender DG 1 or whatever the fuck it was called that I learned to play on.
>>
This is a lot of gear, but i can totally play/record innawoods and i do. Glean from this what you will

Signal makers:
electric bass, passive pickups
Large diaphram condensor mic
contact piezo mics with diy 9v batt preamps

Those are all fed into a recorder
Tascam dr60 for phantom power
or a shit sony px333 for bass/contact mics

Then monitor from either of those with headphones, or route into a portable speaker

All powered by a 26000mAh usb battery. I can even power a whammy pedal off it with the right cord

This can go for hours and hours fully burdened
>>
I have a Martin backpacker guitar and a ukulele. I haven't ever taken both at the same time but I guess I could.

I've got a dry bag that just barely fits the guitar in it. I usually wrap it in my sleeping bag or a polar fleece blanket and it's lasted me many 100s of miles in that manner.
>>
File: IMG_20160529_232423.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_232423.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
I use a Washburn R314KK as my campfire/travel guitar. It's small, light, feels solid, and is surprisingly loud for its size, unusually louder than my full sized Larrivee dreadnought. They're ~$500, there are obviously cheaper options but I feel like ~$500 is a reasonable threshold for a guitar that looks and plays great but isn't so expensive that you're too paranoid to take it camping or hiking. The open headstock has a steeper breakover angle at the nut which really improves the tuning stability, helps a lot if you're taking an acoustic into humid/fluctuating temperatures.

A good parlor sized guitar still sounds great and is small enough to lug around without getting in the way, folding travel guitars are obviously even smaller but if you're happier playing a solid traditional acoustic then parlor size is the way to go. Avoid classical nylon string guitars for camping, they're more sensitive to temperature changes and cheap builds might crack at the joints.
>>
File: IMG_20160529_231830.jpg (365KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_231830.jpg
365KB, 700x700px
>>805135
The Washburn R314KK also comes with a good solid hardcase. I'd make sure whatever you end up buying comes with a hardcase, or at least buy one with it. No guitar is going to survive somebody accidentally dropping an axe on it and a soft case will do nothing to protect it.
>>
>>804626
Composite Acoustics travel guitar. No wood, not damaged by heat or water. Sounds good too.
Only other option is a beater, ie a mediocre acoustic that is fucked enough that a little more damage is no big deal.

Not much enjoyment for a serious player to carry uke or Martin backpacker.
>>
martin backpacker familia best you're gunna get and they're not too expensive
>>
File: unsafe area.png (85KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
unsafe area.png
85KB, 270x187px
>>805139
>accidentally
>>
File: tumblr_lkhs4vdoCe1qi53az.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkhs4vdoCe1qi53az.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>806081
hoho indirectly rude! i like it
>>
>>804626
if there's the slightest chance of there being anyone within earshot, unless you're legitimately really really good, and only do it for like 30 minutes PLEASE DON'T.
>>
>>806078
Backpacker is a toy...not a pleasure to play. I am a Martin fan, and own several standard series and up. The Martin backpacker is a poor solution, only benefit is size and novelty. For camping, a beater is the way to go. For backpacking, learn to play a harmonica.
>>
>>806247
A good beater can be had for <$300. Tell everybody the dings, scratches and damage are "mojo" and you are in. Keep in mind that if you are not at least reasonably proficient, nobody wants you to bring a guitar innawoods.
>>
>>806247
>learn to play a harmonica.
please don't
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 1187x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 1187x1200px
>>806260
I bring my recorder innawoods. Is that acceptable?

I play the drums and skin flute at home but they are both difficult to get deep innawoods. The drums are big and heavy and the skin flute doesn't like mosquitos.
>>
File: pepsi.jpg (47KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
pepsi.jpg
47KB, 500x381px
>>806270
Not to worry Peps, I'll bring the skin flute. You can play it whenever you want.
>>
>>804655
>washburn rover

This.
>>
>>804655
>washburn rover
/thread. I got one for 120 bucks and its fuckin amazing.
>>
>>804626
you can always make a cigar box guitar I have made 3 and they ususally have 3 strings and are tuned in open g but they can also be made with 6 strings and tuned as per standard. I have made 3 and they cost about 30$ each for the hardware. Learn to do delta blues style improv on a 3 string cigar box guitar there are few things better to accompany sitting around a fire deep innawoods. Scott Ainslie is worth a listen just to hear the style and there are many online resources to get you started.
>>
>>804626
Please don't be that guy.

Signed,
Every camper ever
>>
File: 20160501_204220.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160501_204220.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Roland micro cube with one of them $100 epi LPs
>>
>>804626
I have a little martin. It's the older one with a laminate top. Honestly it plays and sounds good and is fairly durable and light. I don't know that it'd take it backpacking but certainly car camping.
>>
>>806877
Holy shit, that was the most autistic post I've seen on this board in weeks
>>
For car camping I bring a guitar. It's a cheaply Acoustic Guitar I got from a pawn shop for $40. I have a few musically inclined friends who always show up, my best friends can play a harmonica and another the Accordion, but we also have a fiddler player who shows up now and again, and when he shows up we rock.

We sometimes stay at those "Glamping" sites, where you camp next to everyone and just rock tents the whole time, just as the sun sets that's when we bust out the music. We have had close to 30-50 people at our camp site sometimes. People just show up and start dancing. Or we move to someone who brought there own deck and lighting and we do a concert for beer or cocktails. We do covers of a lot of country, oldies or classic rock so we offer a little for everyone.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.