[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /out/'s opinion on The Foxfire Books? Has anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_20160629_152837.jpg (535KB, 1438x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_152837.jpg
535KB, 1438x1125px
What is /out/'s opinion on The Foxfire Books? Has anyone else read them? Personally I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in sustained off the grid living.
>>
>>804401
Got a torrent link to at least one of these so I can see for myself whether they're worth buying?
>>
File: IMG_20160629_223839.jpg (567KB, 1076x1838px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_223839.jpg
567KB, 1076x1838px
>>804460
Just search for Foxfire 1 pdf on google and find this.
>>
I found most of them in pdf when /out/ was young.but they are definitely worth buying.
>>
>>804401
Tell us a bit about them, OP. What exactly are they about?
>>
>Not OP

Foxfire is a collection of local knowledge, folklore, and information collected by students and made into a book gleaned from the oldest generation of Appalachians. Everything from basket weaving to food storage to chimney design using rocks and clay. Building a cabin, making a chair, hunting, preserving fish, hoop snakes....just about everything is in there and it's possibly just as correct as a textbook or as incorrect as your crazy assed uncle's advice on preserving possum by burying them in a pile of smoking leaves for an afternoon.

I got a few of them from a sale at the library and they're great. It's like having all my grandfathers knowledge in a book.
>>
>>804931
Also moonshining ;-)
>>
>>804931
This is dead on
>>
>>804401
I read them (well browsed through them) as a kid, my grandmother had the whole set in her library.

Been a long time and I was quite young, but I remember them seeming really cool and full of useful knowledge at the time.
>>
>>804401
is it worth picking them up if I'm an agoraphobic who just likes reading /out/ related stuff?
>>
>>805047
100% absolutely.
>>
I got that white one, the first? on a garage sale, they are probably not as good as good instructional books, they are fun and full of knowledge. I wish I had them all...
>>
>>805496
They have them up for download online, but I'd like to find real ones.
>>
>mountain crafts and foods
Sounds fun
>faith healing
Wait a second
>>
>>805766
Some stuff in it is iffy but it is from Appalachia, so what do you expect?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-01-16-36-08.png (663KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-01-16-36-08.png
663KB, 1080x1920px
Oh shit, 50th anniversary with special editions. Now would be the time to buy.
>>
>>804401

Overall good shit. Nostalgic feels.

The author of the series is from my hometown. He was notorious for extra circulars in the tents with young boys.
>>
The first one is so good, has a chapter called moonshining as a fine art. So much info, has pics and the next page shows a drawing of the pic
>>
>>806261
And the detailed drawing
>>
>>806265
And I also found a book that just deals with stories, great read if you like these books.

Fox fire books are badass. Teaches you all you need to know (no joke)
>>
I just bought three of them at a yard sale. Haven't cracked into one yet though.
>>
>>805766
Don't worry about it. Its like great grandparents condensed into a book, not a technical manual

>>805971
>the author
You mean a bunch of school kids and old folks. More like a compiler
>>
>>804460
>>804672
Poorfag here - found digital copies of 1-6 via torrents.
Can anyone share 7-12 please?
>>
File: 1462146498107.jpg (613KB, 1482x2100px) Image search: [Google]
1462146498107.jpg
613KB, 1482x2100px
I gave these to my father in like 1985. He grew up in upstate NY in the 1930s, so he went hunting with his dogs and all that. He also enjoyed making things out of wood. So I thought the books were perfect for him. I'm more into reading and technology, but we camped a lot so I like reading /out.
>>
>>804931
>it's possibly just as correct as a textbook or as incorrect as your crazy assed uncle's advice on preserving possum by burying them in a pile of smoking leaves for an afternoon.

Hahahahahaha, it's that line in particular that has made me want to buy them now
>>
>>804401
I got most of the collection from a used bookstore and it's definitely worth your time.
>>
>>805971
>He was notorious for extra circulars in the tents with young boys.

Got convicted for molesting a 10 year old.
>>
>>804401
I love them.
>>
File: image.jpg (251KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
251KB, 960x720px
I made a fretless mountain banjo awhile back using a Foxfire book.
>>
>>807847
did you find them?
>>
>>807847
>>812514
Not free digital copies, no :/
>>
>>804401
>What is /out/'s opinion on The Foxfire Books?
the type of info that is mostly ignored today but could be VERY useful one day and would have been lost if not for the work of a few far sighted folk.
>>
>>804401
survivorlibrary.com / library/ foxfire-one.pdf

or foxfire-two

I haven't tried any other links
>>
>>805774
it's a shame, I really like the look of the covers in OP's image.

I've just started reading these online and I'm really impressed. Regardless of the usefulness of the advice, and it's not all advice anyway, there's some real passion behind these articles.
>>
>>804401
firefox five
This fifth volume celebrates the survival techniques and resourceful heritage of Appalachia, featuring sections on ironmaking, blacksmithing, horseshoes, cowbells, shovels, bellows, barrells, furnaces, flintlock rifles, and bear hunting.
Gunmaking dude
>>
www.bookfinder.com lists several for sale; didn't check prices though.
>>
File: charlie blevins.png (170KB, 554x373px) Image search: [Google]
charlie blevins.png
170KB, 554x373px
>>816129
why aren’t you bitches makin' your own barrels
>>
I remember the chapter about ghost stories. That was interesting. Boogers as they called them.
>>
>>815910
>survivorlibrary.com / library/ foxfire-one.pdf
Only up to Fixfire 3 is available. 4+ gives you a 404 page.
>>
>>816411
yeah. Three's enough to know if they're good or not though, I think.
>>
If I follow the stuff in the book I will be okay right, like it isnt wrong and I will die?
>>
>>816839
Probably. Not guaranteed though.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.