[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a city boy living in NYC who wants to go hiking/camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: shawgunks-ny.jpg (59KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
shawgunks-ny.jpg
59KB, 550x366px
I'm a city boy living in NYC who wants to go hiking/camping in the Catskills. Problem is, I don't have a car so I need to rely on public transportation. I can take buses, but from the closest bus station, I have no idea how to get to the trailhead to get to hiking proper. Any advice on this?
>>
>>800444

Get a map? Even if the way itself isn't fully shown you should certainly be able to figure it out. If the trail itself has a map you jsut need to put it together with a regular region map and follow directions

Alternatively you could also ask people that live/work/go to said trail often.

Really, navigation is one of those things you need to figure out beforehand
>>
>>800452
Yea. My concern is that it looks like I'll be a few miles off and need to arrange transportation. I dunno maybe I'll just pay for the damn taxi.
>>
>>800459

You're going out hiking m8. Just walk the few miles and adjust your time properly. Make it part of the experience
>>
>>800444
On Saturdays, there's trains from Grand Central to an appalachian trail head in pawling.
There's shortline coach buses daily from Port authority to bear mountain.
Go to rei to get maps so you can explore all the side trails and junk and you'll have more than enough between those two options for a while.
>>
File: 20160618_130351.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160618_130351.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>800754
Pic related.
>>
If you love hiking so much why don't you just hike there you fucking faggot
>>
File: 20160522_130628.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160522_130628.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>800754
>>800760
>>
File: 20160610_115500.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160610_115500.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>800754
>>
>>800754
This is good advice. I'm actually going to an rei right now. Thanks
>>
>>800872
Just got back from rei with my map. They didn't really offer any good advice. Thanks to the anon though. I have what I need
>>
>>800444
Stop being a pussy and just walk there. That will be an adventure in itself
>>
File: 1455286926437.jpg (58KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1455286926437.jpg
58KB, 960x640px
Hi anon, I was just there for two years.

First let me start off by saying Bear Mtn Park is called that for a reason. I sure as furk would bring a gun in a fanny pack or bear mace.

Other than that it is beautiful, just make sure not to fall into any raveens or down any cliffs.

Mountain biking is big in that area :D
>>
>>801612
>I sure as furk would bring a gun in a fanny pack or bear mace
He probably won't want to do that as both of these are illegal, especially carrying a gun in a fannypack since CC permits are impossible to get here.
>>
>>801815
Bear mountain is actually pretty safe. And crowded by /out/ standards. There are bears in that area so if you're elsewhere in harriman park, keep your eyes and ears open aND dnot be stupid tring to get close for a picture. I wouldn't bring a gun, especially if you're taking public transport from a major hub in manhattan. Bear mace maybe, but I wouldn't be overly worried.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.