[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /out/ I've always had the worst knledge of knot tying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 21

File: granny knot.jpg (142KB, 1300x926px) Image search: [Google]
granny knot.jpg
142KB, 1300x926px
hey /out/

I've always had the worst knledge of knot tying in explorers and even today I only know how to tie 2 basic knots so I was wondering

what are your favourite and most useful knots you know?

thanks
>>
also if you could give the name of the knot that would be great
>>
Palomar for fishing hooks
Albright for merging 2 lengths of line
Arbor for pretty much everything else

When in doubt if you dont know knots, tie lots
>>
>>800147
Tautline Hitch, because it is really useful when for tent lines, you can adjust tension and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkN3K5G8eE
>>
>>800180
>>800187
thanks guys
>>
>>800180
this so much.
practice practice practice. If you have 15 minutes with nothing to do, keep a pair of shoelaces in your pocket and practice knots. it sounds stupid and strange but god damned if it's not one of the most useful skills I've given myself, and has twice saved my life and countless times my wallet.
>>
>>800147
bowline, sheetbend, blood knot, prusik for climbing lines
>>
File: overhandlarkshead.gif (8KB, 336x162px) Image search: [Google]
overhandlarkshead.gif
8KB, 336x162px
>>800147
i use the amazing overhand + larks head combo for everything, its beauty and uses are unreal.
>>
I came across this bend two years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_bend

An amazingly secure bend and super easy to tie and untie once you do it a few times.
>>
>>800187

There are a few knots like the tauline hitch, its amazing how some knots won't work in a certain type of line.
I had some rope of varying stiffness and slickness and the tautline would only work on one which the adjustable grip hitch would work on the other
>>
San Diego Jam, blood knot, arbor knot, surgeons loop, surgeons knot, uni knot, palomar, clove hitch.

If you have a smart phone then there's 3D knot tying apps that animate the steps involved in tying knots. Not to mention they usually come with extremely large lists of knots to pick from. Great learning tools
>>
>>800209

That is one of about three apps I have ever spent money on. Highly recommended. "Knots 3D" is the title
>>
>>800209

will do, thanks
>>
>>800147
the figure eight family of knots, the reef knot, the surgeons knot, munter hitch, and prusik
>>
File: scouting_knots.jpg (106KB, 620x1095px)
scouting_knots.jpg
106KB, 620x1095px
>>800147

animatedknots.com

Loops
>Bowline (quick, easy)
>Figure 8 on a bight (strong, harder to untie)
>Overhand on a bight (similar to figure 8)
>Alpine butterfly (good for midline loops, harder to untie)

Bends (joining two rope ends)
>Reef/square knot (quick, easy)
>Fisherman/double fisherman (strong, harder to untie)
>Zeppelin/Rosendahl bend (excellent for ropes of different diameters)

Hitches
>Clove hitch (easy, strong)
>Rolling hitch (strong, good for taught lines)
>Truckers hitch (adjustable, good for tightening lines)
>Prussic/klemheist (friction hitches, adjustable)
>>
>>800241
Using animated knows as well. I use these knots for trekking / camping with a tarp:

Midmanships Hitch (def. the most important one)
Water Bowline
Poachers Knot
Alpine Butterfly Loop
Round Turn and Two Half Hitches
Tumble Hitch
Zeppelin Bend

Mostly using the midmanships hitch, the water bowline and the tumble hitch.
>>
File: knot.png (286KB, 1214x800px) Image search: [Google]
knot.png
286KB, 1214x800px
these are the 3 knots I'm going.
I made the bottom one up, because I found it difficult to open the trucker's hitch I was teached.
>>
>>800202
This x1000

Super easy to tie, and can be untied after a load is placed on it.

People like the fisherman's knot, but that can weld itself together so it'll never be untied, and uses a lot of cord for the knots. The Zeppelin bend is my go to for tying to ends of cord together.
>>
>>800241
midshipman's aka taut line hitch is one of the most basic. surgeon's knot for joining line together is also an easy and useful one.
>>
>>800198
>a 2-rope join that you can put weight on then undo without breaking 3 fingernails

thank you my man
>>
>>800399
Try the Zeppelin bend. Can join 2 ropes, super easy to tie, and can be untied even after being heavily loaded.
>>
>>800147
sheet bend
>>800168
granny knot
>>
#1 Bowline
#2 Clove hitch
#3 Reef knot
these are essential, if you want more then I'd go
#4 rolling hitch
#5 any tension knot (truckers etc)
#6 figure of 8 on the bite
>>
This. The Knot.

Simplified Trucker's Hitch, using either a simple slippery half hitch or slip noose, or "better", an alpine butterfly knot, creating a 2:1 mechanical pulley making guy lines and tarps taught as fuck.

See for instance here:
>http://andrewskurka.com/2012/tarp-guyline-system/
>>
THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE TOWING KNOTS..

So many outdoors folk don't know how to tie a proper towing knot for like yanking heavy shit around, so many times I've seen guys just tie their favorite "strongest knot" and it be utterly junk to UNTIE and they just end up cutting like 2 feet of their rope...
>>
>>800504
Actually the clove hitch is recc9mended NOT to be taught now since it has a tendency to slip, and other knots do not.
I still use it though.
>>
>>800585
This is how I tie my truckers hitch knots, used them often, until I started using some small figure 9 biners for my tarp. They weight nothing and work really well.
>>
>>800654
Recommended where?
>>
>>800654
The clovehitch is a whore in the fact that it needs to have equal tension on both bitter ends. Works just fine tall ships for ratlines and the like!
>>800587 Try a slippery constrictor friend, it jams under itself rather nicely and if you have a stopper knot( a figure eight or a half hitch tossed somewhere) the bight shouldn't go running off whilst hauling something. I Love the bowline or a rolling hitch for things of that nature though that is more for vertical hauling than towing. Maybe the logger's hitch?
>>
>>800235
>the figure eight family of knots
My nigger.
>>
>>800587

SO POST SOME
>>
My fav knot is the girth hitch with an extra turn. I don't know why, I just like it.
>>
File: wagoner's hitch 3.png (99KB, 482x193px) Image search: [Google]
wagoner's hitch 3.png
99KB, 482x193px
>>800585
Slip knots are for fags. This is the right way to do it.
>>
>>802883
Can come loose if losing tension.. Not a fan.
>>
I didn't expect this thread to keep on going but
another question

when you cut a strand of rope and you have all
the tails leaving in different directions, how
do you clean the ends? I've seen people use a flame but is there another way?

>pic related
>>
File: messy.jpg (322KB, 600x621px) Image search: [Google]
messy.jpg
322KB, 600x621px
>>803561
>>
>>803561
tape
>>
>>803562
i usually melt a bit with flame, and crimp it with pliers, but i'd also be interested in alternatives
>>
File: image104.png (74KB, 362x341px) Image search: [Google]
image104.png
74KB, 362x341px
>>803562
Use a whipping knot to secure the ends. Similar to tying a noose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot
>>
>>803665
what about the ends of the line you used for whipping?
>>
File: images.png (25KB, 289x174px)
images.png
25KB, 289x174px
>>803669
holy shit whipception
>>
>>803674
kek
>>
>>803665
>>803669
>>803750
I honestly just plasti-dip th ends of my shit. Plasti-dip is one of the best things to use for all manners of stuff there is!
>>
If you're only going to learn one knot in your life, learn a bowline. Also for the love of god never use a reef knot, use carrick bend or sheet bend instead.
>>
File: double_fishermans_knot.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
double_fishermans_knot.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
>>803847
I prefer the single, double, or triple fisherman's bend. Only the hangman's noose is nearly as satisfying.
>>
>>803847
nope, forget the carrick bend, use the Zeppelin Bend
>>
>>800147
Two half hitches, taut line hitch, double figure eight, double sheet bend, bowline, clove hitch. Learn those knots and you can conquer the world.
>>
>>800147
I mostly use a square knot or sheet bend to join rope.
taught-line hitch is good when staking down a tent/tarp
I know a few lashings but almost never use them
>>
All I ever use is a tautline hitch and a truckers hitch.
>>
>>800147
Your pic related is the granny knot. Never tie that knot. Instead, go for the square knot.
>>
Bowline, square knot, clove hitch, figure eight and figure eight on a bite are my four core.
>>
>>800147
First the bowline. Absolutely super duper great.
2nd is a harder choice, gonna have to be a clove hitch.
>>
>>800180
If you cannot knot, knot a lot!
>>
File: bowline.png (159KB, 764x498px) Image search: [Google]
bowline.png
159KB, 764x498px
I like this thread I was just thinking of knots a bit lately and was wondering if there was a specific thread about this up on this board.
>>800190
This seems like pretty good advice I rarely get to sit down with a rope and tie knots I found without knowing a lot of them I end up making a slipknot or tautline type knots just messing around with a line.

Been a few situations I needed a knot bowline is fast and would of worked really well for what I was doing if I hadn't forgot it.
>>
>>800147
>>806054
>bowline
Thanks, this was really helpful!
>>
This sounds stupid of me, but is there a book that tells breaks it down, says what knot to use in different situations?

This Ashley book is more like a listing of all of the knots and I figure that there's got to be less than twenty different knotting "situations" that exist, like "tie two pieces of rope together" or "tie two poles together."
>>
File: latest.jpg (410KB, 1088x1600px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
410KB, 1088x1600px
>>809695
if you need an actual book or pamplet to bring with you places i can't help, but animatedknots.com is a grrreat site for this
>>
>>809698
See, I have looked at that site and did not do anything for me. I don't need to know HOW to tie knots before I know how to pick the kind of knot for the job.
>>
File: geeps_ganon.jpg (11KB, 232x164px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_ganon.jpg
11KB, 232x164px
>>809717
well they're sorted by industry/activity/use, and each one has a nice description for what it's best used for. idunno what else to tell yer, anon.
>>
>>800147
Figure 8 follow through, munter hitch, and some sort of slipknot are the only three knots you'll ever need to know.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 687x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 687x333px
>>800354
Figure 8 follow through infinitely better than that first knot
>>
>>800241
Figure 8 follow through isn't difficult to untie if you include a Yosemite finish
>>
File: fig39000.gif (12KB, 430x274px) Image search: [Google]
fig39000.gif
12KB, 430x274px
>>800587
Timber hitch with one or a few half hitches works great in my experience, held the full weight of a log I was hoisting in the air.

http://www.animatedknots.com/timber/index.php?Categ=scouting&LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint
>>
>>800147
>>805262
>>803847
Aye, reef knot/square knot is a pretty insecure knot. Watch:

https://youtu.be/SbpfBqyDNyg
>>
File: icicle_hitch_tied_using_end.jpg (19KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
icicle_hitch_tied_using_end.jpg
19KB, 600x400px
>>800147
Has anyone ever tied an icicle hitch around an icicle?

http://www.animatedknots.com/icicleend/#ScrollPoint
>>
File: DSCN4451a.jpg (2MB, 2048x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4451a.jpg
2MB, 2048x1532px
I used a Marlinspike Hitch today to make a short temporary rope ladder. It can be a real pain in the ass if you have to move the ladder, you essentially have to redo the entire thing. The reason for that is because you can step down on the rung and it will be snug, but if the rung is lifted up the hitch come lose slides up and can capsize. Then again, it is temporary.

The ladder was used for an 8-feet high, undercut, riverbank. It worked solidly well enough (I'm 6' 2" 230lbs).

>pic related
>>
>>800241
lol bowlines, yeah those suck.

>>810217
yeah those are better at the end of a loop than a double fishermans, as a climber i prefer them.
>>
File: knot.jpg (332KB, 4200x2128px) Image search: [Google]
knot.jpg
332KB, 4200x2128px
What ever this is called. I used it once for tightening a rope bridge onto a tree.
>>
>>813000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_loop
>>
>>813011
Thanks. It is a top kek knot. Real easy to make, doesn't lock.
>>
>>813045
wait, I was wrong, your drawing depicts Alpine Butterfly, not Artillery loop
>>
>>811687
Nothing wrong with a bowline.
>>
>>813000
>>813056

Can confirm for alpine butterfly
>>
File: Butterfly Loop.png (1MB, 1302x1698px)
Butterfly Loop.png
1MB, 1302x1698px
>>810104
This is a far better loop, Butterfly loop, or Alpine butter fly loop (called the latter when you tie it like my pic is showing)

It doesn't lower the strenght of the rope anything near that of doing a figure eight (which is a good knot for a lot of things thou)

AND no mater how hard it has been used, you can open the loop by wresteling it forwards and backwords in the knot, and it will come loose. A figure eight can lock it self to the point of being practically not able to loose.
>>
>>813000
>>813011
Artillery loop is inferior to the Butterfly, Artillery can loosen, and can not be loaded from both ends!!!

>>814740
This is the proper to use, and it can also be tied like the picture
>>
what's the top five knots that I MUST know? Right know I know the bowline and devilseye (for fishing)
>>
>>814879
what /out/ do you do?
>>
>>815722
Gardening, hiking, sometimes have to climb a tree to collect stuff like walnuts or fungus
>>
>>800147
My top 5 in order:
>Taut Line Hitch
>Sheet Bend (Square knot is pleb tier)
>Alpine Butterfly Loop
>Clove Hitch
>Bowline
>>
>>800405
THIS. I was about to reccomend this but saw your reply. It does take a bit of practice to learn though.
>>
>>814879
See >>815798
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.