[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /out/'s opinion on the best way to keep away

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (417KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
417KB, 1536x2048px
What's /out/'s opinion on the best way to keep away bears when innawoods? I'm going to start some deep woods backpacking this summer in black bear country, I was planning on bringing along bear spray, but what about a gun (a high powered rifle or 12 gauge)? Some quick research seems to show that bringing both is the best option, especially since we have high wolf population around here too (I've personally been stalked by them while in the bush, and my dad was attacked by one last year). Is the gun worth it or is it just unnecessary weight?

Pic unrelated but neat, lynx that crossed my property a while back.
>>
>>798763
OP just bring a gun, fuck those peter faggs, no one will miss a few bears
>>
>>798766

I hunt bear, so I'm not worried about offending the sensibilities of citiots, I'm more concerned with what's more effective.
>>
>>798763
cats
bears are lethally afraid of cats
hell you can record cat sounds on your phone should work
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 960x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 960x536px
>>798775

You sure you aren't thinking of The Mummy?
>>
>>798776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0wSXxa3TlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFp2DxCFO-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAF8gMN9c0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_9QhJFSR0
don't mess with cats anon
>>
>>798763
twelve gauge with a rifled barrel. Use a red dot scope or iron sights for quick target acquisition. Use Sabot rounds designed for the rifled barrel. Look for something that will take a 3" shell. Within 50 yards your golden. Hits very hard with a .50 cal round basically. Get a mossy 500
>>
There are those electric fences, but they're a bitch to carry and set up and all that jazz. I'd say bear spray, requires less aiming than a gun, just spread that shit
>>
>>798763
Hang your food away from your tent. Make noise. In emergencies bear spray is proven more effective than a gun, though some gun nuts refuse to believe facts.
>>
>>798841
Hey someone with common sense. I've shot bears before straight into their hearts with a slug before they lived for 10+ minutes and lemme tell you they aren't to happy about that.
>>
Actually read a study recently about bear spray vs guns.

Forgive me if the numbers aren't exact, but I remember the gist of it.

They researched about 250 bear attacks where a person defended themselves with guns or bear spray.

In 130 attacks with a person defending with a gun, 13 people were killed by the bear, and several more with very serious injuries.

In 120 attacks defending with bear spray, no people died and only 1 person had very minor injuries.

I'm a gun owner and I know how to shoot very well. I've shot competition in the past and I'm an avid hunter. I seriously doubt I could put down a charging angry bear with accurate fire. Bears frontal area is dense and even being hit by a round they won't stop coming. Unless you hit them right in the brain, which is tiny, you won't stop a bear, even with a 30+ caliber round.
>>
This is black bears we're talking about. They're fine, just don't accidentally sneak up on them. Or get in between a mother and cub(s).

If you're super scared of bears, wear a bell like a little fag when you hike. This will solve any potentially aggressive black bear encounters. Fucking bear spray and guns, christ guys. I don't want some scared ass bitch wandering around with a loaded gun or xl can of mace ready to fuck my day up.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/11/hiker_snapped_pictures_of_bear_before_fatal_attack_in_west_milford.html

here's a story of a dude who got killed for the first time in over 100 years by a bear in Jersey. Idiots ran from the bear. Just make noise, make yourself big, and walk away.
>>
can anyone confirm if pissing around the perimeter of your camp will deter bears? When I'm inna I try to make long defensive piss/scent circles around my camp.
>>
>>798841
do this
have some bear-smarts and they won't be a problem.
Know what do do if they decide they wanna use you as a fucktoy.

I carry both spray and a sidearm. Never had to use either.
>>
>>798969

Tbh I'm more worried about wolves, I know that they have a reputation for not attacking people, but maybe ours are just assholes, because I've been stalked by them, had them wait around my tree stand watching me, my dad was recently chased by one, and my neighbour who is an experienced hunter and trapper was attacked and shot one with his 30-30 before they ran off.

Bears are mostly pussies true, but better safe than sorry imo.
>>
>>798894

Spray would probably be my go to choice, but a compact 12 gauge with slugs seems like an appropriate alternative.
>>
>>798981

>alternative

*backup
>>
>>798969
Actually if you read about black bear behavior with Cubs, you'll find they don't really ever attack people if they have cubs. In fact in all recorded history (about 150 years) not one death by black bear is attributed to defending cubs. They're actually less likely to attack if they have cubs.

Read something about this once. It's theorized that because black bears were never the biggest and baddest bear, they evolved to run, or climb a tree when confronted. They will almost always tree their Cubs and stand their ground with a person, and make fake charge or act tough, but they almost never ever attack.
>>
840 nm uv laser in the 4W range.

I thought we decided this?
>>
Just bring both
Bear spray works well if you don't want to shoot another person also
>>
>>798894
A wounded bear is likely to be way more pissed. Thanks for the stats. (source? curious)

Here's a charging sow grizzly stopped by the muzzle blast of a shot fired into the water in front of her. If I were on that boat I would hope I had extra underwear... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUG8UPsgE3U
>>
>>798763
>in black bear country

Lol, bud. Literally don't sleep with a sandwich in your sleeping bag. If you see one, tell him to fuck off or throw something at him.

>be little anon, about 6-7 years ago
>little 14 year old walking along logging roads in da UP
>hunting grouse for the first time on my own
>run into a black bear
>looks at me
>I yell at him "fuck off!"
>slowly starts heading down the road into the woods
>turns back about halfway to the tree line
>almost as if to think "wait a second, I'm a bear...the fuck is that dumbass kid trying to yell at me for?"
>have shotgun (.20 over/under) in my hands but wouldn't be able to shoot until he's really close anyway
>throw a rock
>miss_the_bear.webm
>throw a stick and hit him in the front leg

He pisses off after that. Black bear aren't aggressive and normally you won't even see them, OP. On occasion I've run into them before, but then they just see me and take off running into the woods.
>>
>>799161
This
OP is a pussy
I've had many encounters with black bears and they run away when confronted with harsh language and small stones
>>
>>799149
Here is one study, only has to do with firearms.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.342/abstract

They found in this study, since the late 1800's, people who used a firearm to defend themselves had the same death/injury rate as people who did nothing.

Science suggests firearms are ineffective defense against bears.
>>
>>799346
Here is another link that sources this article

http://www.outsideonline.com/1899301/shoot-or-spray-best-way-stop-charging-bear

States, success rate of repelling an aggressive bear:

Hand gun: 84%
Long gun: 76%
Total Deaths: 17

Bear Spray: 98%
Total Deaths: 0
>>
>>799350
Keep in mind this was all in Alaska, but should hold true for the lower 48 as well. Bears included polar, brown, and black in the study.
>>
>>799334

And what about wolves? In my experience they're meaner and braver than bears. Also I know black bears are normally pussies, but occasionally they're not, especially some of the older males that get up to 300 lbs. Better safe than sorry imo
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.