[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/AUS/tralia thread ITT: post: >the /out/back, >aus/out/,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 40

File: outback.gif (6KB, 360x311px) Image search: [Google]
outback.gif
6KB, 360x311px
/AUS/tralia thread

ITT: post:

>the /out/back,
>aus/out/, general
>banter
>stories
>trips youre planning on doing soon
>postcode (maybe some outbros want to head out together
>shitpost
>jobs and growth

2065 here, heading out katoomba ranges this weekend or the next
>>
>>794682
4068 here going /out/ in queensland is pretty cool but I've been busy with uni lately. Hopefully I get to go for more walks on my holidays.
>>
>>794686

OP here, never been to qld - just moved up from tasmania. whats the highlight of qld apart from muh beaches/whitsundays?
>>
File: Glass_House_Mountains.jpg (769KB, 2500x926px) Image search: [Google]
Glass_House_Mountains.jpg
769KB, 2500x926px
>>794700
Can't talk for all of Queensland but some cool stuff in south east Queensland is the glass house mountains.
>>
2500 here, just getting my gear to go /out/ literally had nothing. Over uni break should be doing a few trips perhaps blue mountains.
>>
>>794706

what gear did you get?
>>
I bought a msr hubba hubba tent used for a really good price, an exped Synth mat for my pad and my gf had some shitty kathmandu sleeping bag that'll do for now. Still need a pack recommendation?
For my cook set I just mad the cat can stove and already had a light pot, kitchen knife and spork, that will do. Clothing I have a shitty no name rain jacket, cargo pants, wool socks 100% cotton shirt. Also got a black diamond head torch.>>794707
>>
Heading into the Gramps with a couple friends next weekend. Nothing more than car camping and small day hikes. Will still be great

Then hiking up in the snow the weekend of the election, here's hoping I return home to a more environmentally conscious government :^)
>>
>>794707
Also have a kathmandu down jacket.
>>
>>794713
>>794716
sounds like you've got more than enough. For a pack just buy something cheap from ebay - Black Wolf, Berghaus, whatever is cheap and good condition. Unless you want to go out and buy something nice, then just get an Osprey Exon or something.

Any melbfags too; hit up the outlet area at the bottom of Smith St for cheap gear. Its not _all_ that cheap, but you can pick up some great gear for cheap from the Paddy Pallin, Patagonia, Macpac stores.
>>
2281 here.

This happened while I was camping right underneath that mountain:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-13/two-abseilers-rescued-after-spending-night-on-mountain-ledge/7505190?section=nsw

Good hike otherwise.
>>
>>794720
Alright thanks mate.
I was just thinking your packs probably one of the most important items and I probably want to try before I buy for comfort a store near me has either exped or lowe Alpine. May do a trip to Sydney to try some and then buy online. The shop near me did have one of the 50L ultralight bags by lowe Alpine for $99 instead of $250 so I may pick that up.
>>
>>794682
2320 represent! Not really any good /out/ stuff unless I want to drive 4 hours to a national park or something. Haven't really done much apart from going to a few camping spots with my fiancé. I'm keen to go backpacking in the bush for a couple of days though
>>
>>794722
We're not too far apart famalam. Where do you go to go /out/?
>>
>>794733
Typically Blue Mountains but south is getting cold af. That's why I did Warrumbungles.

You?
>>
>>794740
I've never really done much apart from some going to a couple of little camp sites with my fiancé, I've been to the manning valley and treachery camp but I'd like to do something more like hiking all my shit out into the bush and setting up camp somewhere a bit more isolated. Is that the kind of stuff you can do there? I'm really new to this shit and don't know where to start. Living in urban maitland I don't have easy access to those places
>>
>>794743
Blue Mountains is great for over night hikes.
However its quite busy so you wont be isolated.

My suggestion would be some of the wilderness parts of the Great North Walk.
Campsites and trails are obvious and you'd be unlucky to share a campsite with others.
Good starting place for overnight hikes.
>>
>>794713

sounds like youre ticking all the boxes. I have the following gear:

>flecktarn summer parka, standard wehrmacht issue
>flecktarn goretex overtrousers, standard wehrmacht issue (100% water proof, good in tas rainforest)

this flecktarn gear is just as durable and quality as kathmandu, much cheaper and from the mid 1990s. however, kathmandu is better if its new.

> G1000 fjallraven jacket with synth fur lining

my winter jacket. too heavy for any location in nsw, i used it when hiking and working in snow during tas winter.

>flannel shirt
>thick wool socks
>wool jumper

always wear wool, even in summer. vastly superior to cotton in every regard in my opinion.

>60cm long axe. most useful item of my kit by far. a good axe is an amazing tool, can be used for everything from butchery to firestarting to bush carpentry
>a kat knife, because im not one of those edgy KNIVE VS AXE retards. different tools different uses.
>6 metres rope
>2 man tent
>amateur medical kit (dettol + duct tape)

>auscam infantry vest

for day walks, can easily carry 10kg and barely feel it.

>$30 "colorado" strandbags backpack with padded hip straps.

got it just for uni, but turns out its a very good meme. is like 40 litres and to my surprise is very good quality. ive taken it on a few trips now and never had any complains, it has lots of pockets and straps but isnt retarded.

i mostly do 2-3 day walks at most. i pack food and water depending on the location. because i dont give a shit about hot food i usually just take dry goods. if its in a cold environment (see: snow) i take a tiny turps stove.

i also always take a hacksaw with fresh blades in my vehicle. if you ever get locked in a national park gate, fuck waiting for someone to show up and unlock it. just cut through the padlock with your hacksaw and fuck off. its so stupid putting gates in the middle of the bush anyway, most dodgy types will do the same

>>794740

blue mountains isnt getting cold. tasfag here
>>
>>794725
Yeah they're important, but Ive just been using a 60L Black Wolf that cost me $40 off ebay. Having good gear is nice, but especially starting out its also good just to have gear that you can take /out/ and beat around and get used to. You really learn what you do and dont like which makes your next purchases better. Thats my opinion anyway - a Lowe Alpine for 99 would probably be sick, tho 50L would be slightly too restricting for me (but I generally carry water and food for my friends, cause theyre less fit).
>>
File: nth walk.png (633KB, 1164x920px) Image search: [Google]
nth walk.png
633KB, 1164x920px
>>794746
As in this Great North Walk? So I can just trek it and go off the trail and set up a little tent a camp fire? If so that's fuckin awesome I'm only like an hour away from Newcastle
>>
>>794761
That looks cool.
I might take a week off to do the Great South West Walk later in the year I think. Only downside is walking on sand cooks my legs so it will be pretty trying
>>
>>794747
Any recommendations for camping/bushcraft in NSW?
>>
>>794761

do the cowan to brooklyn as a day walk. the trail starts at the cowan railway station and involves 10km of strong bushwalking. then you end up at the brooklyn pub, have a parmy and a beer, then catch the train back home. its a great saturday trip.

alternatively you can do brooklyn to cowan but theres no pub at the end and its a bit rougher.
>>
4178 Here. Last trips I did were two day trips up Mt Greville and Mt Flinders. Both were pretty nice, with Greville the better of the two for sure. Going down Palm Gorge was pretty awesome as was losing the track coming back down Flinders to have to bushbash my way to the carpark.

But over the last few months I've been tossing up the idea of moving to Tassie, permanently, largely for /out/ reasons, as it's a much better state for it and I'm not digging Queenslands heat as much these days and I like colder weather and the snow more so. Maybe >>794700 can give 2nd opinion. And I can help him with any stuff on Qld.
>>
File: 2.jpg (227KB, 1776x1332px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
227KB, 1776x1332px
>>794775

mate tassie is the best state in the country for /out/ hands down. we have huge swathes of empty forests where you can hunt and shoot to your hearts content.

last time i went on a serious expedition in tasmania i didnt see another human being for 3 days in a row. dunno if thats your sort of thing though.

also the best fresh water fishing in the country.

pic unrelated, from one of my adventures in the malaysian jungle
>>
>>794761
Yeah, thats it.
The whole thing is even on Google Maps which makes organisation easier.
You'll see plenty of places to camp along the trail in some sections. Others will only have the market sites.

A site like wildwalks.com has the smaller sections with more in depth details and pictures.
>>
>>794774
fuckin' mint

and what does one usually take for a a day walk like this?
>>
File: 20150706_115809.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150706_115809.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>794780
That's awesome, can't wait to take a month or so off and smash that out! And so from what I hear it goes through urban areas too, so I assume I'd stop by the shops to stock up on food there?

>>794779
I'm not the chap you're replying to but fuck that sounds amazing. I was born in tassie and now wish I didn't have to leave now that I wanna start going /out/
>>
File: 20160420_131152.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160420_131152.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>794779
>we have huge swathes of empty forests where you can hunt and shoot to your hearts content.
Fuck yes.
>i didnt see another human being for 3 days in a row. dunno if thats your sort of thing though.
And yeah, that is exactly my kind of thing. One of my favourite hikes was when I did the North West Circuit over in Stewart Island years ago. Barely saw another soul for days.

I've been looking at going for the Tassie Coppers intake for next year, don't want to move without work there of course. Looking at eventually moving out to Huon region maybe.

Pic related is some of the view going up Mt. Franklin too.
>>
>>794782
i had to leave becuase i got a job. nothing beats it, and im moving back as soon as i can.
>>
>>794786
For me it was for some heavy family shit, my mum was from sydney originally and moved to tassie with my dad, we went back to the mainland a while after his death
>>
>>794781

couple litres water and some muesli bars. if youre keen for cowan to brooklyn section any saturday we can do it together.
>>
>>794810
Thanks man I really appreciate that offer. Don't take it the wrong way though but I'm hesitant to just meet up in person with an anonymous poster on a mongolian kitesailing forum
>>
>>794816

not taken the wrong way at all mate. last bloke whose throat i cut wasnt as smart as you- but the offer still stands.

if youre going to head out do day walks at first. in my opinion one of the key characteristics of australian bush is that it is inhospitable. i.e. u can't survive here very easily. like sure you can take some food and water and you wont freeze to death. but there really isnt much food at all in the bush here. if you wander out into the scrub in rural NSW and get lost youre in pretty deep shit. when it comes to finding NEW food and water that is. its definitely easier in areas with lots of actual bush because you can light fires and more vegetation = more animals. possums taste like shit but will keep you alive, roo is like old mutton and is good.

we dont have the same bushcraft shit that our northern hemisphere friends do. but theres a lot of fun to be had in the bush trying to make animal hides or building primitive shelters in secluded areas.
>>
File: IMG_3213.jpg (3MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3213.jpg
3MB, 2592x1936px
2773 here.
Living in the Blue Mountains is hella great.

>Free beacons
>Bush only a short way away
>Historic structures and landmarks a plently

All walking distance.

Also, question, are PLB's available anywhere in NSW? I know of only Kosciusko and the Blue Mountains, and some misc IGA's around the place sticking them, with the last for a fee.

Anyone know of a 1 day hike through dense bushland, unmarked? Me and co need to improve on that front.

Also, anyone know what these are for? USYD marked cameras. by the side of the last stretch of the Six Foot Track. Atlas of Living Australia project?

As well as that, I heard that NPWS had some island trips for some work to be undertaken, anyone been on one? Or in fact, any NPWS volunteering expedition / event?
>>
>>794822
Any recommendations for said secluded areas to do bushcraft?

I'm jelly of the northies, seems like all them fuckers have miles of woodland in their back yard
>>
>>794823
>Living in the Blue Mountains
Nigga how? What do you do for work there? I'm mad jealous, stayed in a cabin with my missus in the blue mountains last year, fucking beautiful place, loved the cold weather
>>
>>794825

state forests. unlike national parks there are much less restrictions, and muhc less bushwalkers etc. pro tip dont light fires if you dont want to potentially kill yourself.

imo a great bushcraft mission is to buy yourself a great knife and maybe a bow and arrow (no license required), then go out into the bush and try to acquire food, and if you succeed, prepare and eat it. not necessarily hunting - could be fishing. just try and get yourself something to eat. extremely rewarding if you kill an animal or find something similar. be VERY careful consuming plants in the bush though
>>
>>794830
So are they not heavily monitored and such?

Pic related seems to be the closest state forest to me (1-2 hours drive as opposed to 4 hour for national parks). So I could just drive out there, set up a little tent and chill innawoods?

and yeh man I have no intention fucking with mother natures plant life
>>
File: Capture.png (56KB, 671x516px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
56KB, 671x516px
>>794830
>>794835
Also another one close by
>>
File: Capture.png (63KB, 590x459px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
63KB, 590x459px
>>794835
Forgot pic for pic related...
>>
>>794835
>>794836
>>794837

just a lot less people. yeah basically you can camp,have a fire, go fishing if you have a fishing license, do whatever

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/camping-and-picnics
>>
>>794838
Holy fuck man this is exactly what I was looking for! Fuck the 4 hour drive to go spend time in a national park I'll just bear grylls this shit up in Cessnock! have an internet anon!
>>
>>794835
Not heavily monitored, but they are still nature reserves so pls dont be bogan in them ;_;
Have fun though, post some pics after you go
>>
File: IMG_2620.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2620.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>794844
Speaking o state forests, here's a good day at a pine plantation over at Hampton state forest (not so much Jenolan, they don't seem to be that abundant there).
>>
>>794706
2500... Lived there for like 15 years, moved up to sydney for uni. Weird to think there was an /out/ist <500m away the whole time.

2232 atm, won't be going anywhere till september.
>>
>>794844
I plan to respect the nature and all that stuff man, don't worry :)
>>
>>794823
lots of angry yowies the in the blue mountains
>>
>>794846
Fucking ace - thats a massive haul. All for yourself, or selling/trading with other people?
I'm going looking for some on the weekend (near Melbourne). This is my first year going looking for them so I hope I have a bit of luck!
>>
>>794840
>>794844
>>794854

dontn go telling just everyone about this either. the lefty/greens poofters love turning state forest into national park and then being like lol btw you cant fucking go there, ever, or do any of the things yuor ancestors did.
>>
>>794867
Whats your local state forest?
I'll come do a vegetation survey and see if I can find any rare or threatened species and write a report on the vulnerable flora there for your states Parks department. That and a bit of stir in the community through my lefty student political ties and we could nearly get something happening, get you a speccie new National Park
>>
>>794903

ive had a gut full of your shit mate
>>
File: waterfall1.jpg (187KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
waterfall1.jpg
187KB, 540x960px
montezuma falls tasmania
>>
File: museum-07.jpg (73KB, 678x452px) Image search: [Google]
museum-07.jpg
73KB, 678x452px
>>794779
>Google "Tasmania"
>"Points of interest"
>Museum of new and old art

Pic related
>>
>>794935
It's a nice museum desu, very contemporary for the most part, but it's a lovely experience if you're ever in the area. Make sure you use the toilet with the mirror
>>794914
Kek. Are you ready for the Great Forest National Park in Melbourne though? Foresters and 4WD bogans get rekt, it's only a matter of months now
>>
>>795209

for fuck sake. im against excessive 4x4 though, mainly because they often leave litter and shit in the forest as well as wreck shit with their diesel powered army tanks. fact of the matter is though anyone should be allowed to use firetrails as public roads. in tasmania when they section off firetrails in national parks, they stop being maintained, bridges collapse etc and then when theres a fire its useless anyway.

but i think every australian should have the right to camp, shoot a wallaby or roo, have a little fire and a tinny, catch a fish etc. i dont think licensing is the answer but a really strong social sense of respecting the environment.

in tasmania a large part of the problem is people like >>794743 going innawoods alone (never go into a new area alone) and getting very lost. so they direct people onto a few crowded pathways because search and rescue is super expensive. so the government has a strong incentive to keep people out of the forests

but when people lose their connection to nature, they'll value the forests less, and they will stop being a part of the australian identity. when that happens, we'll see some fucking bad things happen to the environment.
>>
>>795237
I completely agree on a lot of points. Australians in general need a much better understanding and appreciation of nature - not only ecological services, but also how important our natural heritage is, and how to appreciate and enjoy activities in the bush. But that's also exactly why we need national parks AND state forests and reserves. Conservation land of different value being used for different things. To say a better understanding will help and losing that understanding will lead to grave environmental damage is true, but national parks provide a great number of protections that ensure the survival of many species that would otherwise perish. It's not just to save people getting lost that they keep people on trails, but to protect the integrity and aesthetics of the land. It's definitely a good thing, and there is no reason that walking along a boardwalk track isn't as exciting and invigorating as going out innawoods and fishing your own meals. Fuck, half the grannies on those trails would be able to tell you most of the plant species and most of the birds just by their call. I me that's just as nature connected as someone camping in the bush off track, whittling and killing a kangaroo.

Nature provides many things for all Australians, and it's important that we have a number of reserve types that allow and encompass those uses, while maximising and maintaining biodiversity and conservation
>>
>>795286

the problem i have is commercialised nature. its absolutely shit and not wilderness at all to walk along a boardwalk, sleep in a place where everyone else sleeps in a tent, and basically be on a guided tour. 52% of tasmania is state forest and national park. In tasmania, thats 99% woodland. when the government in tasmania moves state forest to national park status its fucked as actual roads get closed, fishing spots that have been used for generations get banned, you have to pay $177 a year to park near it, you cant cut firewood there anymore (and in state forests, that firewood is fucking european pine trees, not native trees), can't light fires there (even when its snowing). you cant fully enjoy the wilderness. in national parks, you can't go shooting without heaps of permits - that includes pest animals like possums, wild roosters (since loads of peopel got pet chickens, they are too pussy to kill the roosters so they just do the "humane" thing and dump them in national parks/state forests lol - so fun shooting them and feeding them to the dogs) rabbits and feral cats, and the bloody highly invasive deer that destroy natural flora but are protected becuase the licenseing regime makes the government a fuckload of money. in state forests you can take a gun or a nice bow and take a shot at a pest animal, cook it on a little fire, cruise along a fire trial on a dirt bike or just shoot trees with a bow.

once i got a $200 fine for having a fuckign bow and arrow in the tray of my ute near a national park because they "suspected" that i was doing illegal hunting. its some serious bullshit imo.

but dont get me wrong i still agree with most of what you say - the sad truth is a lot of people are shitcunts and wouldnt respect the environment anyway.
>>
>>795298
You're allowed camp, hunt and have a fire in state forests where you are? Lucky, here in QLD the nanny state we aren't allowed to do any of that, I don't know of any national park or state forest where you are allowed so much as collect a twig and put it in the fire. Absolutely everything including dead sticks on the ground is protected by law feelsbadman
>>
>>795360

well once you pick the stick up off the ground it isnt on the ground any more and you might as well burn it ;)

but yeah thats all allowed in tasmanian state forests. they have provisions on certain areas though i.e. theres an area called "superpark" which they only let one hunting party a day into - guaranteed deer though. the superpark is literally infested with deer. youre only allowed to cut firewood in certain areas as well. and they have fire restrictions in summer of course. bow hunting animals is technically illegal as its "inhumane" but having a bow requires no license and even if you shoot an animal you can say its an accident and get away with it easily, or say it was already dead etc. otherwise just dont fucking get caught. with guns you can shoot any non-native animal on sight except for deer, and a few native animals which are regarded as pests (i.e. possums).

but generally, state forest tas, you can pitch a tent anywhere you want. i also found some abandoned miners cabins from the 1920s last time i went deep /out/ in a state forest, and they were actually in good condition. i lit a fire in the fireplace and dried it out over a day or two, and after patching up a few holes in the wooden walls and roof, it was a really comfy, glass windowed cottage (like 3 x 2 metres).
>>
File: IMG_1864.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1864.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Where is a good place to shoot near Melbourne that's crown land or state Forrest?
Just want to shoot my gong.
>>
File: official-seal-of-the-Alt-Right.jpg (177KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
official-seal-of-the-Alt-Right.jpg
177KB, 700x700px
Is there anywhere isolated enough to go off grid and grow some food while storing supplies in a cellar? Not in the desert or anywhere that gets too hot. I want to grow some crops without a ranger or anyone else finding them or the cellar I plan to dig. I am talking about vegetables and fruit trees etc. I guess it doesn't matter if they're seen at all, just don't want them disturbed.
>>
Anyone know anywhere good in the south west of WA? Looking for somewhere in the Harvey to Bunbury area, to take the gf once exams are over. I was thinking Nanga Brook or one the dams around, but i'm not entirely sure yet. Beaches are out though, can't stand camping on beach sand anymore
>>
>tfw live in Mallee Scrubland

At least we have the Murray River and a few lakes nearby.
>>
>>795464
You could be liable for a massive fine if you do it in a national park or anywhere with conservation status. Just buy some land you dirty hippie
>>
File: carnabys-black-cockatoo-banner.jpg (129KB, 1400x500px) Image search: [Google]
carnabys-black-cockatoo-banner.jpg
129KB, 1400x500px
>>794862
All for the family. And into sterilized glass jars they'll go and under the house.
On a good day like that, you can haul a lot more.

Recent news from Jenolan, Hampton state forests. Nothing much other than inedible assorted Amanita.

>>795464
>>795855
Go out innarural and buy some cheap land. Seriously.
Then, just get someone like Greening Australia to come in and regenerate the cheap paddock which you brought. Thatway, you got yourself a gorgeous woodland forest. Just imagine the beautiful springtime, the native grasses, the native orchids speckled amongst the ground covers, the flowering trees and bushes, the grand variety of colours embodying the concept of rural Australia.

And all that land will be yours, yours to do whatever you please to do, and you've done a grand service to the native flora and fauna of Australia.

Look at this fellow. Give them a home and a future.
Don't you want that?
>>
>>795855
I wouldn't do it in a national park
>>795994
>Go out innarural and buy some cheap land. Seriously.
I only have like $3000 savings but I would like to do that. From what I've seen the cheapest blocks are 50 to 100k.
>>
>>794700

Fraser / Moreton / Bribie Island
>>
Any recommendations for camping in the Sydney region? I went to the Blueys up near Blackheath before, it was pretty lacklustre.
>>
Where the fuck can I go that lets me light a campfire? It's fucking banned in all NSW apparently.
>>
>>796287
>It's fucking banned in all NSW apparently.
For good reason. People can be pretty retarded, and I guess the government doesn't want to paying to put out forest fires every weekend.

Your best bet might be to find someone with private property (like a farm or something) willing to let you camp out on/around their land.
Or to move somewhere it's legal.
>>
File: IMG_2737 edited.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2737 edited.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>796281
Recommending anything to Mt Solitary, has to be my favorite walk I've done so far, though experience is somewhat limited. Covered K2K, Lockley's pylon to Blue Gum, Six Foot Track, and Scenic World to Mt Solitary.

It's an absolutely beautiful walk, taking you through so many ecological communities for the fairly short distance which you cover. I absolutely love it, the variety, and the stunning views there, with my favorite view out of all I've seen being Chinaman's Gully campsite lookout, pic related (tying with Anvil Rock lookout).
Seriously recommend it to anyone. Reasonably challenging in parts, anyway, though nothing which is considered impossible. Just get some friends and you're guaranteed to be set and finishing the walk.

Any recommendations for walks in the Blue Mountains? Particularly 1 night tracks for navigation experience, though not too far away so I can trot back to civilization without the help of Airpol.
>>
>>796093
>I wouldn't do it in a national park
You could do it on a strip of roadside in western victoria and still get a massive fine. Many areas that you wouldnt think hold convservation status do. Do you grow vegetables and fruit at home? If you dont already, then you should probably start with that, or even in a community garden. And if you are proficient in gardening, you'll likely know how unsuitable most /aus/ soil will be for growing food innabush.

>>796287
There should be many campsites that allow it, it just means you're camping in a legit camping spot.
>>
https://www.colongwilderness.org.au/dont-raise-dam

:'^(

One of the biggest issues with modern day society I see is the obsession with some ridiculous 'dream' of contributing towards smearing our society as one of ridiculous waste as a result of ridiculous waste of land and resources through urban sprawl and low-density living. It's outrageous.
>>
>>796715
You still kicking on with a few VBs after last night m8? That whole thing made no sense
>>
>>795569
not being east coast master race

>>796093
>>795994

be careful with that cheap lamp memes. half the blocks in rural nsw/victoria have provisions like no permanent structures - i.e. you can camp there for 4 weeks a year max or its "premanent structure"

some towns are poisoned i.e. wtih asbestos, and other towns have shit like the real estate agent might not mention its one of those abbo settlements where the pub opens at midday and everyone blows their bank account there on thursdays if ya know what i mean :P
>>
WA around 6000 area here
>>
>>795459
What side of town you from?
>>
File: bluemountains.jpg (115KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
bluemountains.jpg
115KB, 1280x960px
>>794816

its >>794822 here. ended up heading on a jaunt through the blue mountains on saturday. pic related
>>
>>794682
Ayyy I live in Katoomba
>>
>>798088

im coming up this weekend as last time, i had no idea about the winter festival. should be awesome if it snows, i miss that aspect of tasmania.

town looks tourist infested as fuck though
>>
>>796287
I camp in state forests every weekend and light a fire every time.
>>
>>798357
Also the Rangers have never given me a fine or anything. If you go way out you hardly ever see rangers
>>
>>794747

Do tell me what this "Auscam infantry vest" is...

>Godmode, guess my fucking job
>>
File: ALICE-auscam.jpg (31KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
ALICE-auscam.jpg
31KB, 500x492px
>>798379

why, its an M1956 vest in auscam of course. pic related. i think they stopped issuing them late 1990s

ADFA cuck?
>>
>>798380
Full time other ranks actually

Calling it an "auscam infantry vest" because you want it to seem more practical is just early signs of autism champ.

>Lets go call Moras, SOG knives because swedish special forces come from the same country theyre made in

Youre a label cuck. Just call it webbing.
>>
File: IMG_20160619_151957.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_151957.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Tasmania is ok guys. Bulk shootable wildlife and drinkable rivers. Pic from yesterday.
>>
>>798415

Nah man I'm not being autistic. When I bought it at the shop it just said m1956 auscam infantry vest. I don't give a fuck about the nomenclature m89
>>
>>798415
tbhfam, I'm sure he was labelling it to make it easier for others to understand. Stop being such a butthurt cuck.
>>
>>798439
Jelly. If the water wasn't so fucking cold there in the winter I'd like to live there.
>>
>>799032

thats what the hot tub is for mate. I miss tasmania, having grown up there. easily the best state in the country.

the best part is the nearly complete absence of muslims and chinese foreign investment.
>>
>>799076
A hot tub doesn't do shit for me while I'm absolutely freezing. Maybe I'm just a pussy or wetsuit technology has improved a lot over the last ~10 years but I absolutely dreaded getting in the water at dawn in the middle of winter there.
People surf in much colder places though but I was thoroughly chilled.
>>
>>799109
> I absolutely dreaded getting in the water at dawn in the middle of winter there.
I think thats a pretty natural reaction bro
>>
File: wahh.png (553KB, 2560x2489px) Image search: [Google]
wahh.png
553KB, 2560x2489px
>>794682
canberra 2602 here
>tfw no friends to go /out/ with
>>
>>799109

if you get too cold, it can cause permanent cold sensitivity. and it depends on your genetics as well (being white / north asian is good here)

if your nerves get damaged enough by exposing your body to extreme cold, you can experience strong pain when its really cold / hot.

i went swimming in a river near launceston in early january for about 10 minutes, and a guy that spend half an hour in that river got hypothermia. thats middle of summer so middle of winter must have been pretty bloody bad haha. I've also been swimming in the great lake in mid summer at night which was excruciating. i ran into some old guy and he was like "i havent swum in that bloody lake since 1952, why would you"
>>
3030 reporting in
>mfw my older brother is about to go on a 3 month long trip around Australia with his wife
>mfw while he's brewing a nice warm cup of tea up in Cape York, I'll be waking up early for work
>>
>>799184

hide in the boot
>>
>>799134
Everywhere else I've surfed in aus has been pretty comfy in winter.

>>799158
Fuck swimming in a (I assume) snow-melt river or lake. The ocean is much warmer than that and (I'm pretty sure) not cold enough around here to cause serious nerve damage.

>>799140
I'm living in Canberra at the moment too. 2905. I've only really explored a bit of namadgi and along the murrumbidgee. Any recommendations for /out/ stuff?
>>
Is there anywhere in northern Sydney to get into kayaking? Apparently there's not a single club situated on the Hawksbury.
>>
>>799374

theres heaps of places in north sydney where you can hire a kayak / canoe for the day. especially in middle harbour. but most of the locals go for full sized yachts not kayaks kek.
>>
>>799198

the river wasnt snow melt kek. but the lake was. actually the lake is warmer because its under direct sunlight throughout the day and thus stays warm into the evening near the edge. but in winter it freezes solid.
>>
File: 4.jpg (371KB, 1776x1332px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
371KB, 1776x1332px
who else here has been into the legit jungle?
>>
>>798088
Opposite end of the mountains, brother. Glenbrook.

How's the pot-wearing lady?

Also, holy shit. How was Winter Magic?
I really hadn't heard about it so I didn't come this year. Totally coming next year.
Holy shit there's a furry parade there? Not a furry, though I want to see one suited up. So many hilarious moments to mess around in that thing, must be great to follow around and watch what goes on.

What goes on at winter magic?
>>
>>799917

i went by accident. was going up to see the 3 sisters (im the tas guy that moved to sydney recently.)

anyway im on the train up thinking wow a lot of peopel up here are dressed like fuckign weirdos. its good though. furries are only a tiny part of the whole group. its basically a huge cosplay party with no anime influence. and after it gets dark it turns into a huge smoke up. so many people walking around up there completely off their faces on lsd and pot.
>>
File: IMG_20160623_183735579[1].jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160623_183735579[1].jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>799374
Don't know about a club, but here's a really wonderful opportunity for those who enjoy kayaking, volunteering, and weed.

http://willowwarriors.org.au/

Anyone do landcare / bushcare here? Haven't done anything recently due to existing commitments and doubts about landcare and its influences on native vegetation and wildlife.
Oh, and I oh so seriously recommend the Weed whacking weekend at Wombeyan caves, great accommodation, great atmosphere, godly environment to spend a weekend in, and free food and cave tours.

Oh, and flare your stuff here. I got this babi for some volunteer efforts.
And that's my dog.
>>799918
Oh boy, older generation cosplaying. What a change from the anime et al cosplays.

Yeah, there's little doubt that we're lacking any of that, with us being bordered by national parks and someone knowing someone who's either been busted for growing (or trying to) weed in the national park, or the number of these 'spiritual' stores around the place promoting their pseudoscience and probably some 'spiritual' substances, or so I assume. The further up parts seem to have the crazies. The lower is predominantly old and wealthy retirees. Good people, though. Actually nice to talk to and all that, unlike other places.
>>
>>799928

yea the blue mountains are Australian. my personal take on it is, all of sydney except for the ultra rich northern suburbs and some of the eastern suburbs, isn't really australia. Honestly, its not. its over 95% chinese/asian in many areas, with people wearing clothes made in asia, driving cars made in asia, eating asian food, listening to asian music and speakign asian languages. now im not angry about this per se - but this hypercompetitive shittiness is not australia. when i went up to katoomba it felt like i was back in the real australia. and it feels the same when i visit tasmania. Sydney is like some extension of singapore or hong kong.

so with that in mind i'm heading back up to the blue mountains this saturday, hopefully to see a bit of snow, and to talk to some nice decent genuinely australian people. I don't go much on the hippie crap though.
>>
File: IMG_0111.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0111.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>797443
South East but happy to go North or West if required. Currently going out west to go to the range anyway.
>>
>>799933
mate where is that
>>
File: purebanter.webm (3MB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
purebanter.webm
3MB, 640x350px
>>794682
>banter
>>
>>799898
I spent some time in Tully, it was putrid.
>>
>>799941

yea the jungle sucks but its an experience
>>
>>799939
Point Nepean
>>
>>799198
Grew up in canberra. In melbs now and missing being so close to awesome out stuff.
For a day walk Mt Tennant is fun this time of year, gets cold near the top and usually a bit of snow near the tower. After winter, take a quick drive to threadbo and hit up the cascade hut trail. That's a nice overnight hike. Another good day or half day is checking out the remains of the orroral tracking station. There is an old abandoned sheerimg shed and a hut. Heaps of nice stuff out that way.

I'm finally getting out of melbourne with the missus this weekend for the first time since moving here. Anyone got any suggestions for some nice day loops?
>>
>>794682
Planing on riding my DR650 to Broken Hill then up the Silver City Highway to Tibooburra for the gymkhana in a couple of months, then east to Wanaaring, Bourke, over the Dividing Range and a nice cruisey trip over a couple of weeks down the East Coast to back home.
>>
File: mtsolitairy.jpg (564KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
mtsolitairy.jpg
564KB, 2048x1536px
I went on the walk to mount solitary from the golden stairs, in the blue mountains, on saturday.

first mistake i made was incorrectly gauging the distance between the main railway station and the start of the walk. so that added about 8km to my trip time unintentionally, and made me start much later. it also used up a decent amount of energy even though i was just walking along the side of the road.

i mistimed it and got lost in the dark. had to crawl up the golden steps by feel like a blind dingo. still one of the best days i've had in ages. blue mountains are fantastic once you get about 3 clicks away from the tourist crap. especially cool is the fact that you are actually allowed to have campfires at the designated campsites there.

eventually I want to walk out to wild dog mountains

>>801892
nice. i was talking to this girl yesterday who went out exploring the whitsundays with her friends. anyway they found this completely abandoned hotel that got hit by a cyclone in 2003. it looked pretty great.
>>
>>802546

If you plan to do wild dog soon you should hit me up? Im over in the hunter valley atm and would love to do a blue mountain trail
>>
Probably better suited to the knife general thread but fuck it.

Where do you lads purchase knives from? I can't seem to find anywhere that's got a good range of fixed blades
>>
>>803713

I thought id give hardcore hardware australia a hit up for a tough knife to use out bush, all i got was a super hard knife shaped piece of D2 that i cant put an edge on, even with a belt grinder.

Considering getting an ESEE 6 to replace my $240 mistake.
>>
>>803724
Fuck, forgot to post pics

>pic related
>>
>>803350

yea lad would love to do wild dog sometime soon. this weekend i'm looking to do mcmahons point or something. should be nice and quiet on election day and I postal voted

>>803713

i used to go to a milsurp shop in tasmania called "allgoods" which was fantastic. but now I buy online from websites like varusteleka (expensive but top quality), or direct from manufacturers like Gransfors bruks.

im in the market for a good knife. i always took a hatchet and thats it, but in the police state of nsw i think i need something a little more subtle, especially for day walks where I don't realllly need an axe. im not one of those axe vs knife edgelords, just really liked having my axe for everything.

>>803724

thats actually hilarious. i always wondered abotu those knives - at least it'll be good for splitting firewood wood like all these weirdos on /out/ seem to like doing with their pocket knives. alternatively you could use it as a crowbar. Steel has a $1/kg scrap value so theres that too...
>>
>>803901

McMahons Point aye? Youre obvs talking about that mountain trail and not sydney right?
>>
>>803914

yea the mountain trail. they should rename the blue mountains spot to "mcmahons lookout" or "mcmahons ridge" - its retarded.

just want to do a good day walk thats a little bit easier to execute... >>802546 resulted in me walking 24km return in one day and getting a cold.

tldr want to go on a good day walk in blue mountains, starting somewhere near a railway station
>>
>>803921

Im grabbing a new pair of Salomon Ultras and will be looking to break them in something savage, ill reply to this thread later on before saturday and will let you know if im heading to the same area if you want a hiking buddy
>>
>>803929

sounds good. i completely destroyed a $30 pair of kmart blunnies on my last stroll kek.

heads up though, since i started an office job i am by no means the quickest walker. still got unlimited endurance though.
>>
File: img].jpg (102KB, 700x472px) Image search: [Google]
img].jpg
102KB, 700x472px
>>798380
Mate, thats a commercial copy of a South African vest, we never issued these, the few Aussie soldiers that you've seen with them bought them privately (pic related, except he bought an actual issue sadf vest, not a chink copy like you)
>>
>>803713
Ebay.
Cuttingedgeknives.
Extac.

Most knives can be imported with some exceptions.
>>
Imo imho backpack
>>
File: nadgee.jpg (124KB, 767x450px) Image search: [Google]
nadgee.jpg
124KB, 767x450px
>>802108
Cheers, my dude. I'll definitely check all of that out.
I'm doing the Nadgee wilderness walk soon. Has anyone here done that before?
>>
>>802108
>In melbs now and missing being so close to awesome out stuff.

Melbourne born and raised here. iktfb
it sucks here compared to places further up north. That being said, the high country isn't too bad, the only downside is that it's a solid 3 hour drive from Melbourne.
>>
>>799933
Head up to bunyip or somewhere like that.
>>
6760 marble bar. Been here a week keen to go Bush soon
>>
>>794731
Maitland! That's my hood! 45 minutes away is myall lakes!
>>
File: IMG_4752.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4752.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Mt Larcom climb a few days ago while i was visiting my parent's place

Pretty great with cozy sunrise views
>>
>>794704
I live like 30 mins north from there
>>
>>807696
Mate there are fuckin dozens of us hey!

What does one do at Myall Lakes?
>>
>>807696
>>807913

singleton here
>>
>>808000
DOZENS
>>
cairns here, love it, but cant wait to head dowwn to tassie
>>
Hiking in Queensland (around GC and Bris) for a week.

Starting with Conondale Range Great Walk but don't know what to fill the rest with.

What other walks are good?
>>
>>808381
I've always wanted to do the gold coast hinterland great walk, but Mt Barney is pretty awesome
>>
Anyone here from around Bathurst? I'm moving out there soon
Whats hunting like there?
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>"""""""hiking"""""""

It's called bush walking you seppo cunts

When did every Aussie under 30 become a yank
>>
>>808381
Fellow Brisbaner here, I'm about to go walk around Cooloola for a week, should be fun, if I can organise transport to and from the trailheads
>>
>>809050

Are you following a trail up a mountain?
>Hiking

Are you spearing off into the scrub?
>Bushwalking

Calm the fuck down you filthy liberal cunt, i bet you wanna scrap medicare.
>>
>>809050
is that Boronia Peak?
also, you're a fucking wanker if you care that much about bullshit semantics
>>
File: Pack.jpg (136KB, 704x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pack.jpg
136KB, 704x960px
>TFW no South Australian /out/ists
>>
File: IMG_0241.jpg (303KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0241.jpg
303KB, 667x1000px
>>807674
>3h to high country
m8, big river is like a 2h from the cbd, and you get to hoon like a madcunt over the black spur

pic related, went up to mt margaret last 2 weeks ago after it dumped
>>
>>809132
>Fire killed alpine ash
>After a dump

Yeah nah
>>
any aus bois got some advice for getting into bow hunting in aus?
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 927x600px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 927x600px
2100 here

Anyone done Coast track recently?
>>
>>809136

or maybe shit burned in summer and now it snowed kek
>>
>>809136
>>809158

The fires were 7 years ago, it was the Black Saturday fires. Even though its burnt its not that much different from around the high country which has all the dead snowgums and mountain ash trees from the dieback.

As for it dumping, for this area 30cms of snow at ~1100m would be considered dumping.
>>
>>809146
yeah

buy bow

go hunt
>>
File: IMAG0276_1.jpg (939KB, 3450x1533px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0276_1.jpg
939KB, 3450x1533px
Mt McCall, Western Tasmania.

Fucking love this state.
>>
>>809162
Dead alpine ash is dangerous as fuck. With a hint of wind if you look at it wrong and they'll tip over, bit of moisture in the ground and it's worse as they have a shallow rootball. The peak danger times are immediately post fire (eg pre hazardous tree treatment) and between 7 - 11 years post fire.

Bonus is that it doesn't matter if it's on the side of the batter or 400m up, they literally spear down until they embed in something.
>>
>>809132
Also of note is how much ash has actually come down and has been cut off the road. This would have been post haz tree treatment where an excavator has gone through and tipped anything over within reach on the high side of the batter.

We don't fuck around near stands of dead ash, we book it through in good conditions.
>>
>>794682
went to pacific fair yesterday, it looks cool but now it's confusing
>>
2260. Missus and I doing Barrington Tops. Was nice for the first 2 days then torrential rain for 3days/70k's trek.

>>809129
Nice patch mate
>>
>>809999
2. Had to bin bag it.
>>
>>810000
3. Worth it though
>>
>>809146

Don't tell anyone you're doing it. Bow hunting, although fantastic fun, is technically illegal in most of this country as its an inhumane kill of the animal.
>>
>>809999
>>810000
>>810002
>Screen Shot[...].png
>>
>>809999
>>810000
holy shit quads
>>
Hi /out/. SE qld fag here. Wanting to start getting into overnight/2 night treks. Was keeb on the hinterland great walk until I looked into it more, seems to have not so much bush, and almost a full days walk on the road. What are some good 1 or 2 night hikes around the area? The less touristy the better. I'm also a /p/haggot so will be bringing a camera, somewhere aesthetic would be great.
>>
>>811085
Well the sunshine coast hinterland great walk is pretty good.
>>
>>794686
Taringa brah. I'm 4078. Any good out places to go close by? Anstead reserve and moggill forest are cool. Mt cootha is to tracky. Along wolston Creek by the prison is neat.
>>
>>811154
4068 here but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have anyone to go /out/ with in brisbane. I mostly go for walks and such when I go up to the coast. I walked from Noosa to marcoolah the other day which was interesting.
>>
>>811150
I'll look into that one, thanks mate.

>>811157
4209, I know that feel bro. Gonna go solo
>>
>>799140
>>799198

2603 here. Used to live in 2905. I can't really make any good recommendations though, I picked up some /out/ kit around autumn but since it's gotten colder I've been too much of a pussy to do anything
>>
>>809132
Went through similar a couple of weeks back.
>>
>>811813
>similar

Actually it was the same place. May have even seen you.
>>
>>811814
Was in a white prado with a grey arb bar, travelling with the 90 in the picture. That photo was taken heading out lady talbot drive from the mt margaret saddle.
>>
>>794779
so no one else sees the face in the rock at the 5 o'clock of the pic related..
>>
>>809129
Your not alone dude, do you know any good places to go out within 100ks of adl? Ive been to the normal Deep Creek, Mt Crawford, Kuitpo spots and i found most of them pretty lackluster desu, something so depressing about tree farming

Planning on cycling the mawson trail as soon as the weather gets a bit better
>>
>>811897
I went up Mt Margaret rd and on. Did see some people in a prado drive passed the other way and one parked near a gate with people on foot behind the gate. There was a red car with the wipers up parked near the junction.
>>
reppin 2146

desu I much prefer outdoorsing in europe

far less worries, more comfy, everything is cheaper, less abbos on walkabbout too
>>
>>809129
I go camping/fishing all the time, but I live near the vic border so go there more than anywhere else here.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.