[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well guys, I was doing some basic testing on this Ontario RTAK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: 100_0066.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
100_0066.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
Well guys, I was doing some basic testing on this Ontario RTAK 2 when the piece of shit broke. Guess I need a thicker knife.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>792199
>old picture is old
Just buy yourself a prybar and sharpen one side on a rock mate.
>>
Buy the ontario ranger TFI
>>
File: IMG_20151127_023159.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_023159.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
BKII.
>>
>>792199

>Falling for this bait
>>
File: IMG_20151127_023139.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_023139.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>792210
>>
>>792199
Dude that just a bad temper, the thickness isn't necessarily as important as the carbon density. You want a better tempered, high carbon knife....
>>
>>792210
>>792213
thoughts on bk3?
>>
>>792339
good annealing is the most important factor in durable knives. also laminated knives will not likely fail in this manner. they will just badly chip the edge if you abuse it.
>>
>have gloves
>have folding chair

that definitely seems like a situation in which you'd need to use a tool improperly in order to """survive"""

time to take this meme and drown it in the mainstream
>>
>>792199
>>
"batoning" anything thicker then your thumb is damn retarded, hell using anything but the palm of you hand as a baton is retarded
>>
File: 100_0069[1].jpg (169KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
100_0069[1].jpg
169KB, 1024x768px
07/18/07 09:42 PM
>>
File: Batonning for Dummies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonning for Dummies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>792445
Batoning is for wood carving and nothing else. You must use a proper gouge, not a knife. Batoning a knife is just tool misuse.
>>
>>792447
>My damn RTAK broke!

>I thought they were designed for batoning, but I guess I was wrong.
>She broke in sort of an S shape ending at the rear of the serrations.
>WTF?
>Was I wrong to baton with this thing or not?
>How is Ontario in dealing with this sort of thing?
>I also have a RAT 7 and a RAT 5. Can I rely on these or banish them to kitchen duty?

>Thanks,
>Dave

lol Retard.
>>
>>792450
Agreed. But props to the manufacturer of that knife regardless
>>
>>792462
Why? The handle is destroyed. Most good knives are pretty bendable. You should watch what Cold Steel does to their knives on youtube. Its hilarious.
>>
>>792682
that in the vid is old cold steel srk.
the new ones are expensive and not that good.

it was a damn good knife it shouldn't have been abused like that.
>>
>>792441
How are these things connected: splitting a piece of wood for whatever purpose and having a cup of tea?
>Why Baton - When You Can - Carve A Spoon.png
>>
>>793431
>the new ones are expensive and not that good.

Personal opinion, the 3v version of the SRK will be a better knife than the old Carbon V one, combines better toughness with better edge holding, it is expensive though.

>>792682
The handle is just rubbery stuff anon, other than looking munted chances are it will still function just fine.
>>
>>793527
It means you don't need large pieces of wood for fuel. Thus you don't need to split anything no axe, no saw, or knife-tard-batoning. You just need you hands. The most you'd need a sharp implement for is to make a feather stick, if you need to make one.

The food you cook with it can be anything.
>>
>>793528
>The handle is just rubbery stuff anon, other than looking munted chances are it will still function just fine.

You'd need to make a new handle for it. That handle was skinned down about halfway in the full vid. Of course, it'd take an axe to extract it. lol
>>
>>793535
Ahh fair enough and yeah, you'd have to split the log for sure.
>>
>>792199
I did my knife training back in the 80's and we were taught that you never baton anything thicker than three finger width unless it is a life and death emergency, say like you must get a fire going or you will be dead from exposure in the next half hour, move forward to 2006 and YouTube is a thing, there are now channels devoted to knives and bushcraft, YouTubers baton stuff as a way of demonstrating how tough a blade, autistic manboys watch this and believe that this is how a knife should be treated all the time, this is basically how we got to where we are today.

In short, "the blind leading the blind"
>>
File: fuckyouop.jpg (385KB, 526x730px) Image search: [Google]
fuckyouop.jpg
385KB, 526x730px
>>792199
>>
>>793679
100% this.
>>
>>794061
he didnt say it was his image, although implied, hes asking for recommendations for knives, stay on topic plz
>>
>>793679
>the 80's
>you never baton anything thicker than three finger

That was a good rule of thumb in the 80's, however it should be updated. There are much stronger knives today, maybe it's four fingers now, it depends on the knife. The problem is youtubers expect a "tough" knife to split any log, which of course is not possible.

It's not just the diameter of the wood being splitted. If you try to split a log, don't use brute force. If the blade is not moving as is should when you hit it, stop batoning at once and try another angle.

Imagine the worst test bench imaginable. You put the knife between three angled steel beams, two on the left and one on the right, middle of the blade. Then you hit the blade with a hammer adding more force with each hit.

The blade will not break until you hit it so hard that the blade can no longer absorb the energy by bending.

As long as you don't hit too hard, it's impossible to break a good knife, even if it was a huge log. Unfortunately, if the wood won't split, that's unacceptable for most youtubers. They see it as a failure and keep hitting until the unevitable happens.
>>
>>794371
>There are much stronger knives today

No, there isn't. You are just making excuses for tool abuse.Your post is made up of conjecture.
>>
>>794435
As much as I agree with the second part of your post, there certainly are tougher knives available today, metallurgy has changed a lot with powdered processes
>>
>>793679
>>794371
So basically this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNaci2rIM64
>>
>>795269
Also this man gives solid advice I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m7YFiePmRY
>>
>>794551
>there certainly are tougher knives available today

Nope. It's only been a few decades since the 1980s.
>>
>>795334
And PM steels like 3v were available in the 80s were they anon?
>>
>>792453
Was this a video or post on a website or something?
>>
>>795358
They aren't any better than steel in the 1980s. You are swallowing hype.
>>
>>795640
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/581630-My-damn-RTAK-broke!
>>
>>795642
As someone who works with steel for a living they certainly are, even simply taking an old steel, ingot forged and taking the same steel PM forged the difference in grain consistency is stark - and grain consistency is one of the main elements of strength, you simply get less potential points of fracture with good structure.
>>
>>794371
I wrote the post you were replying to.

FYI, the knives you could buy in the 80's were every bit as good/bad as those you can buy now (metallurgy really hasn't moved on that much). what was different was that you never had the amount of choice in any one spot that you do today with the internet, and reviews were all word of mouth and personal experience, I bought a Buck 119 back then or maybe it was another make/model because it had a good rep and a bunch of guys I trusted used it day in and day out, we would look at each others knives and ask questions about them, it's hard to explain here but in many ways it was the same and in others we have moved on beyond imagining.

In all the years I've been going out (hundreds and hundreds of trips), sometimes as part of my job and sometimes for pleasure I've never needed to baton my way through a piece of wood bigger than three fingers width, I've built any number of camps, I've hunted and fished all over the place including arctic conditions and the tropics, and I have never yet once needed to baton my way through a big log, this current craze is a complete mystery to me, still if it keeps you kids happy and out of trouble then have at it, just remember to carry a back up for when that blade breaks.
>>
>>795269
This is not as bad as some I've seen and her technique is pretty good (especially for a life or death situation but sadly these YT people forget to add that part) , however I would still rather pack a small hatchet or medium axe and use that.

Your blade is your life.
>>
>>795870
I will defer to your greater knowledge in this matter, however if the metal is so much better than it was when I trained can you tell me why all these modern knives break in YT videos.... could it be that battoning is a poor idea after all and not just me being an old dude stubbornly sticking to old dude ways!?
>>
>batoning
>mfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOXU0rrqOM

Even if you didn't have a saw you could could carefully chop out or baton a chip out like he shows and produce similar results without having to wedge your blade through a log. It's worth some consideration.
>>
>>796000
I don't baton with my knives personally and I think plenty of broken knives are operator error. The last time I did baton was when I was teaching my kids , simply so they know of the technique but it certainly wasn't necessary to get that fire going.

Having said that if you baton with care to utilising grain faults/layout and avoid knots and the like I can't see why a tough steel shouldn't be able to baton indefinitely, I get the feeling a lot of people use brute force just to test their knives though.
>>
>>796014

>holding his breath
>hunching and shrugging his shoulders while swinging

FUCK
my spine hurts vicariously
did nobody ever teach this fuck how to swing a bat?
>>
>>796071
>I get the feeling a lot of people use brute force just to test their knives though.
this

It's definitely apparent on youtube..
>>
>>795642
The particle metallurgy steel are objectively tougher than prior steels, there is an entire industry built around testing and comparing tool steels. It is mostly focused on their industrial use but the results are applicable to use in cutlery as well.

If you look at 'stainless' steels the differences are huge.
>>
>>796106
Everyone's idea of what a knife needs to withstand is different. You have guys like Cliff Stamp chopping concrete blocks in half on one end of the spectrum, and you have people who say you should avoid using them to cut zip ties on the other.
>>
>>796232
>implying anything is better than Damascus steel for katana.
>>
>>796106
thing is i have no problems with this
some people want a knife they can absolutely depend on even in a psychotic (or hypothermic) episode there they whack at it in an uncoordinated manner at wrong angles also.

these tests simulate the scenario very well. if the knife can't take it it wasn't meant for chimptards.
>>
>>796079
And yet it worked just fine for him, go figure!?
>>
>>796398
Doing things wrong once might be fine, but doing them wrong repeatedly can wreck your back.
>>
>>792441

>hardwood leaves as tinder

Tried this tons of times before, but it has never worked for me. Has anyone had different results?
>>
>>796261
>You have guys like Cliff Stamp
Aye but guys like Cliff Stamp test and review knives to give others an idea of their performance, I'm damn sure you won't find him recommending any of the destructive tests he does for general use.
>>
>>796513
Yeah, don't use damp ones. Even then they smoke like crazy, but will work.
>>
>>792199
Esee 4
>>
>>795983
This guy greats it.
>>
>>798731
>gets
>>
>>798731
>that page nine 9 save
>>
>>793534
how exactly are you going to turn the large pieces of wood into small pieces of wood to burn in your stove? batoning, if all you have is a knife. if you have a better tool then use it

>>793679
using knives as a wood processing tool isn't new. it's only tool abuse if you do it wrong and use the wrong knife

>>795983
>baton my way through a big log
it's not really possible to baton through a big log, that's just silly. is that what this thread is about? OP was batoning through a small piece of wood, not a big log
>>
>>800448
>how exactly are you going to turn the large pieces of wood into small pieces of wood to burn in your stove?

I use tiny branches in my rocket stove. Why would I ever need large pieces? It isn't like I'm in the desert hauling logs and have a break down miles from the nearest tree and desperately need an axe.
>>
>>793431
I scoured the comment section on this exact video a few weeks ago and the uploaders said that was the SRK AUS8 steel version.
>>
>>792450
I shit myself a lil watching this.
>>
>>801221
aus8 is pretty damn indestructible too i like it for a backup blade.
>>
>>794371
>>793679
Quality of knives are better than they were in the 80s. Problem is that the doofuses on youtube are batoning their knives through wood that they shouldn't be going through...which led to the quarter inch knife craze like the becker and esee 5.
>>
>>792441
>he doesn't use a pencil sharpener for tinder
>>
>>805122
>Quality of knives are better than they were in the 80s.

Says the kid born in the 1990s.
>>
>>800448
I agree it isnt really tool abuse to baton with a good knife as long as the grind isnt thin it will be fine, literally tool steel vs wood. If the knife is a good steel and good condition with ample meat to the blade there should be no problem. I personally never try to baton something thicker than half the blade legnth. Mostly for safety and convienance. Granted I wouldnt care too much if I did in my 20$ mora so there is that aspect.
>>
>>800448
>it's only tool abuse if you do it wrong and use the wrong knife
this i have batoned wood with kitchen knives before they did pretty fucking well.
>>
>>806141
troll posting in troll thread
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.