[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello friends, EMT with too much free time. I posted a first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 17

File: wilderness-first-aid.jpg (382KB, 2122x1415px) Image search: [Google]
wilderness-first-aid.jpg
382KB, 2122x1415px
Hello friends, EMT with too much free time. I posted a first aid thread a few months ago and I figured I'd do the same!

Feel free to:
Post your first aid kits, and I'll rate them and give you advise.
Ask questions, and I'll answer them.

Recommended items in every first aid kit include

Trauma
>4x4 gauze
>roll gauze/kling
>cravats/triangular bandages
>SAM splints
>Tourniquet
>Medical tape
>Antiseptic of choice. Recommend you bring a small bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, or if tight on space/weight to bring alcohol wipes.
>If possible

Meds/Medical
>ibuprofen/acetaminophen. Your choice.
>Your prescription meds
>Whatever you take at home

Misc/tools
>Something to cut bandages. Preferably shears, but something lighter will also do.
>Water
>More water
>Even more water

The list above is likely incomplete. Feel free to add your thoughts/ideas/additions, and to call me a retard.
>>
>>791883
In your experience, do you end up using tourniquets in pairs, or usually just one?
>>
>>791883
Did you ever perfect the Knorr dishes?
>>
Are you gonna go for paramedic someday or is it too much BS? I got an EMT friend who's on the fence about entering paramedic training because it's such a big committment
>>
>>791886
I have not needed to use TQs in a wilderness environment, but it's not a bad idea to bring two, assuming you have space for it. Keep in mind that while the myth of tourniquets = amputation is long gone, you should still attempt to use other methods of bleeding control. Really though I don't think that there would be too many situations in the wild, in which two limbs would require a TQ.

>>791887
>Knorr dishes
>not having Asian friends to cook you delicious meals

>>791888
Personally no. I'd suggest your friend go to RN school. Better pay, hours and just about everything.
>>
>>791888
To further elaborate, if your friend wants to stay on the trucks, he still can. In my state, a lot of the paramedic supervisors are both RNs and medics, so he can always get his paramedic card later if he really wants it. People may shit on nurses but it's the way to go these days.
>>
Doctor here, bought a ready first aid kit for 5 dollars, added a strip of ibuprofen,rekamide,cefuroxime to it
Might add that a 15ml vial of saline water might come in useful for wound dressing
>>
>>791894
I'd love some input from a doc on meds, because my list is pretty clearly lacking. The only issue with the premade FAK is the low quality, and low number of gauze.
>>
>>791895
Meds seem to be alright in your list, you can always buy OTC drugs in your destination place, if not, pack as much as you can handle, with special mentioning to opioids like oxycodone and oxymorphone these generally should be avoided because many countries treat them as smuggling narcotics, if you have no other choice bring a prescription with you and ask the embassy beforehand
as for gauzes, bring a couple of them, they pack tightly so won't be an issue, i have a nissan gauze packet in my room and i took like a dozen and placed in my kit

Anything else you need?
>>
>>791898
That's good, thanks doc!
>>
My first aid kid consists of a couple bandaids, benadryl, alcohol prep pads, and a roll of vetwrap. I guess I should add some more stuff to it.
>>
>>791903
First thing would be to get some gauze. You can always make bandaids out gauze+tape, but you can't really do much wound care with just bandaids.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>791900
My kit, thinking about getting another triangular bandage
>>
>>791906
apology for merchantrunes, the cream on the left is hydrocortisone acetate and clotrimazole
>>
>>791905
What kind of gauze should I get? There are a lot of kinds and I dunno which is best.
>>
>>791912
I suggest getting 4x4 gauze alongside with kling gauze as the primary method of bleeding control. 4x4 gauze is what you actually put on the wound, and you can use kling/roll gauze to secure it without having to use tape which is less comfortable. If you have room there is also 5x7 gauze and trauma dressings which are really quite large, but they're only needed for larger wounds.
>>
File: DSC01725_-L.jpg (180KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01725_-L.jpg
180KB, 800x600px
>>791883
Actually looks pretty decent, IMO.

First and probably most importantly... training/education on how to identify and treat medical emergencies. The best FAK in the world won't do much if you don't know how to use it.
Don't pack what you don't know how to use. I see a handful of people that throw together a massive kit and don't know what half the items are, or what they're used for.
Take a class. They're cheap, and the FA/CPR/AED cert's good for 2 years.

My kit's not real big, enough to treat the injuries i've dealt with innawoods.
>Athletic tape
>Vetwrap
>Trauma shears (teh awesumz)
>Nitrile gloves
>Ibuprofen, Benadryl
>TP
>Gauze, bandaids, little neosporin packs
>Alcohol cleaning pads
and I really need to get a couple CPR masks.

Get creative. I've used a motorcycle tube as a sling for a broken collarbone. There's a lot of things in my pack I can use in a first-aid application that I don't carry specifically for that use.

Notepad/writing tools are good to have for big injuries. I keep all this in my fieldbook... couple sharpies, pens, pencils, and a small notebook.
If something's swelling or a rash is growing, circle the area and mark the time.
Jot down when the injury happened, and when and how much meds were given if it's an ER-worthy injury. Really helps the docs out having that info.

Talk with the group you're going with. Anyone have any medical concerns - allergic to bees, carry an epi-pen, asthma, heart conditions, etc? As a group leader, knowing that and a rough idea of skill level (leading a mixed group of noobs and more experienced riders) allows me to make better decisions through the day on where to go, or manage an incident.

Biggest thing is getting some training. Really can't stress enough how important that is. I might be doing a WFR class later this summer.
>>
>>791906
pretty cool to see another Israeli on /out/, do you know of a good place you would recommend visiting here?
>>
>>791939
Here as in israel? what are you looking for? i'm in jerusalem and did the sattaf hike yesterday, ever been to latrun?
There's a nice monastery in the west bank called mar saba near bethlehem i'd recommend it
>>
>>791930
Very great points especially on training!
>>
>>791945
I don't own a car so I haven't really been anywhere other than the nature reserve near my home, but I do like to lurk on this board and I thought you might know of any isolated location that might be worth checking out if I ever decide to travel.
>>
>>791953
Where are you located?
>>
>>791958
Netanya
>>
>>791970
hmm, i'd say check out the israel national trail, you can do some parts that are close to you
>>
>>791974
thanks but what I meant to ask is if you know of any isolated place that is actually worth traveling to when I do get the chance to travel
>>
>>791978
i'm trying to understand you here, are you talking about travelling in the country itself? if so, there are lots of waterfalls and valleys north in the galilee region that you can swim in with nobody around
>>
>>791985
I am, and thanks
>>
>>791988
stuff like nahal elal and surroundings, really, just go north of the galile sea, pick up a local map, and check out the tons of shit there
>>
>>791992
ill ceck it out thanks, lets hope I don't blow myself up on some minefield
>>
Bumping!
>>
I just bought a compact first aid kit to use as a base for my walking kit. Right now plus some stuff I had lying around I have:

>tweezers
>medical scissors
>safety pins
>gloves
>bandage roll
>crepe bandage roll
>some small dressing pads
>band aids/blister plasters
>finger dressing
>Adhesive dressing strip
>medical tape
>antiseptic wipes
>burn gel sachet
>painkillers

Probably going to take the adhesive strip out for home use and buy some larger gauze pads. Anything else you guys would suggest for day hikes?
>>
>>792081
For day hikes this seems sufficient, unless you're hiking through some very remote areas. But yeah, gauze that shit up.
>>
my grandma gave me her nurse kit from WWII, similar to pic related. When I was young I taught myself to stitch on my own body with the kit, so that and CPR should hold me out for medical needs on a trip
>>
File: asb-1[1].jpg (64KB, 730x472px) Image search: [Google]
asb-1[1].jpg
64KB, 730x472px
>>792179
>>
School buses have readily available frst aid kits behind the drivers seat and the doors just slide right open. Walk right in. Best to do at night under cover of darkness.
>>
>>792179
I recommend not suturing in field. In regards to CPR, unless you are traveling with someone that has a heart condition, chances of survival, especially in remote areas with a defibrilator are slim. If you are doing CPR on someone because of their trauma, it's practically a waste of energy.
>>792185
Not too sure why you'd go for stealing some shoddy kit that probably hasn't been updated since the bus was purchased, but I'm not here to judge!
>>
>>792188
>he's never choked on salmonberries
>>
>>792189
That isn't cpr you dingus.
>>
>>792189
>This fagout who probably carries tourniquets, a bunch of splints, quickclot, stiching supplies, and a whole bunch of medical crap he has no idea how to use
>No idea what the heimlich is despite it is arguably the most likely deadly situation people encounter not just out but everyday
>Also has no idea what the point of CPR actually is

Just a reminder that anyone who packs more than some nsaids, OTC pills, anti-itch cream, and some stuff to treat small to medium sized wounds is a literal downsie. You will most likely never use all this dumb shit you are packing and if you do you can improvise most of it. Need a touniquet? Literally use a long shirt sleeve and a large stick. Need a splint? Use what you have. There is no point in taking all this shit if you don't know shit. If you don't know how and when to use this you're just going to end up hurting someone more and make the hospital have to treat the persons actual injury, and the injury you caused them from trying to play medic.

No you don't need to buy a one way CPR mask you retard, unless you keep a defibrillator in your giant, useless first aide kit if someone needs CPR in the wilderness they're already as good as dead.
>>
>>792219
I agree entirely on the fact that without knowledge you're kinda fucked, but not too much on the tq's and splints. TQs are super easy to setup, and are easy to secure, and an improvised one really isn't as easy to use. Sam splints would be a lot more comfortable, and would provide better stabilization, then improvised methods, but I understand your mindset. My thought process however is with the fact that both of the items are quite light, and make it a whole lot easier in case you do need to use them vs improvisation. Totally agreed on the CPR though. No way would your compressions do shit without ACLS care, or at least an AED.
>>
>>791883
I have a booboo kit that I keep in my wallet at all times. I used those plastic card separators and put some medical supplies in them.

Consists of...
1x Packet of Celox blood clot 2g
2x Small bandages
1x Finger bandage
1x Closure bandage
1x Knuckle bandage
1x Alcohol pad
1x Single-use packet of triple antibiotic ointment
1x Single-use disposable surgical blade
1x Single-use disposable lancet
1x Safety pin
1x Sting relief pad

I also made an IFAK that I keep in my backpack at all times but won't go into that since there's a lot of stuff in it but the main thing about it is that it is in a waterproof plano container.

Currently working on a bigger, more complete first aid kit for the car...
>>
File: 1026_alt16.jpg (63KB, 750x510px) Image search: [Google]
1026_alt16.jpg
63KB, 750x510px
>>792379
>plastic card separators

Like one of these things.
>>
>>791883
>Tourniquet
you are full of shit not an emt.
also you can improvise one from just about anything if really needed to save life it's retarded to pack one.
>>
>>791891
>tourniquets = amputation is long gone
depends if the pressure is too much it will go that way, you need the minimal pressure to control the bleeding and save life.
>>
>>791883
I'm trying to find EMT training but in Ireland I'm mostly just finding Occupational first aid etc, I already have my CFR certified, I know it's not much but it's better than nothing, could you tell me what I'd learn in occupational first aid and what I would only learn with EMT training?

Thanks in advance OP you do great work
>>
What do you guys think of wound closure strips?

Also I have seen several 4chan produced FAK guides that say no aspirin, why is that?
>>
>>792468
aspirin is blood thinner.
it could also fuck with your treatment in the hospital.
my brother broke hi hand he had to wait 2-3 hours in sever pain until they dared to put him under to reset his arm because he got a couple of painkillers at home.
>>
>>792472
Well now I feel stupid.

Though I have seen several official sources suggest giving aspirin as first aid to people suffering from a heart attack for that very reason.
>>
>>792515
two entirely different situations. An MI is dangerous enough that aspirin is given unless they have counterindications like a history of gastrointestinal bleeding.

Not OP btw
>>
>>792439
Not OP but:
Almost all improvised tourniquets are too narrow and cause nerve damage or are ineffective compared to purpose-built ones.

Read treatment protocols from any state with good EMS scope of practice, and you will see they order tourniquets for bleeding not controlled by direct pressure.
>>
>>792515
Holy shit you are retarded
- Person is bleeding from cut, injury, trauma, whatever
-DO NOT GIVE THEM A BLOOD THINNER aka asprin, this will make them bleed faster and die faster
-Person suffering from symptoms of a heart attack, aka a giant bloodclot in an important artery
-LOOKS LIKE A BLOOD THINNER MIGHT BE A LITTLE USEFUL, so their heart can continue to be supplied with oxygenated blood for longer until you get them to a hospital

This is why I hate /out, they pack a big bag of pills and have no idea what they actually do
>>
>>792578
Why would you reply to a post you did not even bother to read? You are the one being stupid here.

Those were obviously two completely separate statements. I never even slightly implied I thought you should give blood thinners to someone with a bleeding wound.

>>792565
I know that, just something the post I replied to reminded me of.
>>
>>792025
Dont worry there are signs that say where there are danger of mines better not venture off the trail
>>
File: muhshittyfirstaidkit.png (4MB, 1200x1138px) Image search: [Google]
muhshittyfirstaidkit.png
4MB, 1200x1138px
mines by no means expansive and its lacking a whole bunch of stuff, but it gets me by
everything in no particular order
>orange bandana on the outside
>a whole bunch of different sized bandaids, some cut yourself some pre-cut
>tick pen
>tweezers
>two 7.5cm x 7.5 cm gauze pads
>lip balm
>condoms
>two decently sized gauze rolls with clips
>alcohol swabs
>5cmx4m bandage
>12cmx12cm dressing
>zip ties
>electrical tape
>ear protection
hand sanitizer carried separately. 99.9% of the time im just using bandaids and the tick pen but i really need to stock up anyway
>>
OP is back.
That's pretty neato for small stuff. Few suggestions would be to add a few sheets of 4x4 gauze, since it's generally pretty flat, like a piece of paper, and can be adapted for a lot of small stuff too. Why the surgical blade though, just for the bandages? Not criticizing just curious.
>>792439
What issue do you have with TQs? We carry two on our ambulance.
>>792440
Good point. In future threads I'll have to link a few youtube videos on TQs. I was mostly however mentioning the now dispelled myth that by putting on a TQ you are always saying goodbye to your limb, when in reality this is far from the truth.
>>792460
Hey! I am an EMT in United States, and from my understanding of the British system, they don't normally utilize EMTs, just paramedics. To become a paramedic in US it's 2 years of education, and in UK I believe 4. I'll read a bit more about Ireland EMS and will come back to you.
>>792468
To be honest I have not used them, and we don't routinely use them. I can see their benefit for long term care if the laceration is spread open, but at the same time I feel that for the most part 4x4 should do the job, and in case the avulsion is deep, stitches will really be the only thing that would do the trick. If you do use them, put gauze over them, and still disinfect the wound site to prevent infection.
>>792472
Actually a very good point. Will mention it in my next thread. The people that mentioned MI (heart attack) are very correct in regards to aspirin helping, as it's one of the drugs the paramedics use, but once again they need to be in hospital very quickly after the symptoms start.
>>
Woops. First comment of my last post was in respond to the boo boo kit.

>>792664
Pretty good. Was weird reading the bandage dimensions in metric units gotta say. In any case here are a bunch of my suggested items.
>triangular bandages
Very compact, and will work wonders to get a sling in the case that you break an arm. I suggest packing 2 or 4 and spending an afternoon watching some youtube guides. Pretty simple.
>replace bandaids with gauze
Honestly, this might seem silly but having a few sheets of 12cm x 12cm gauze pads could pretty much replace your bandaids and could also be used in case of more serious bleedings.
>medical tape
I know you have electrical tape but medical tape is overall more comfortable. and won't be as sucky to have on your skin for a long period of time. I personally use 3M transpore, but anything should work
>Optionally SAM splint, TQ, Israeli dressing.
Israeli dressing works wonders and can easily be applied to serious wounds. SAM splint would expand your uses of the triangular bandages into having even better stabilization of wounded limbs. TQ is self explanatory.
>>
>>792840
these are all things on my restock list, i assume TQ is turnquet? altough i am trained in use i honestly dont work with heavy enough machinery to deem it necesarry when i can do the same thing with a triangular bandage in a dire emergency,

only recently learned about SAM splints and Israeli bandages and they seem super handy

the kits also my EDC first aid kit, not just for the woods so im gonna stick with the bandaids, but doubling up on gauze is never a bad idea

thanks man, good thread
>>
>>792851
but if i was to look for tournequets, since they are not widely available, would you recomend army surplus/military ones? those are they only ones ive seen for sale to civilians in stores
>>
>>792834
Much appreciated, I'm republic of ireland though so while our systems are usually very similar to the British they're not always the same
>>
>>791883
Scenario:
You get a call someone is not breathing and artificial respiration isn't working, it takes you 10 minutes to get there, when you arrive it was too late but you see some anon has attempted a Circothyrotomy, what is reaction?
>>
>>792853
Sorry, yeah TQ is tourniquet. Military ones are the ones we use BUT, be careful to buy from reputable retailers. https://www.amazon.com/Application-Tourniquet-Improved-Version-American/dp/B00MA6XVVC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 is the ones we use.
>>792857
Cry inside, contact PD for possible manslaughter.
>>
>>792855
So from what I dug up, you guys do have EMTs, however the hiring for them on ambulances is very much almost non existant as most ambulances use only paramedics. Even to become a paramedic in Ireland seems like a fairly tough road though. http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/
Looks like you might need to get a degree in paramedicine in Ireland to be able to get a job.
>>
>>792875
Hell I just wanted the training, Shiieeeet
>>
File: FAK.jpg (860KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
FAK.jpg
860KB, 1500x1500px
Here's mine, would like some advices.
Use it on 3 to 5 days, hiking and camping.

On the inside :
1 antiseptic spray
1 tablet of 30 water purifier
2 elastic bandages
1 roll of adhesive tape
3 'SOS Burn' compress
4 gauze compress
4 alcoholic compress
Different sized band-aid
3 anti-blister thingy

On the inside pouch :
Scissors
nail-clipper
Tweezers
2 things that are made to hold bandages tight

On the outside pouch :
A notebook with information about me (Blood type, name/adress, ICE phone numbers...)
A pen
An emergency blanket
>>
>>792906
Pretty good! I would suggest getting some roll gauze (kling) and some more gauze 4x4s since they take up literally no space and would give you far more capacity to treat bleeding. If you'd like some more capability for even larger wounds a TQ or an Israeli bandage could do you wonders. Triangular bandages are also quite small and with a few youtube videos you can be making slings like a pro in case you injure your arm. Lastly, what is the antiseptic spray? Isopropyl alcohol?
>>
>Lastly, what is the antiseptic spray? Isopropyl alcohol?

it says 'Benzalkonium chloride' and alcohol free. No idea what it means though.

> I would suggest getting some roll gauze (kling)

I think what I call Bandage is what you call Roll gauze. I'm french so I have to translate what's written on my stuff haha

>an Israeli bandage could do you wonders

Thinking about buying some, yeah.
>>
>>792926
Ah fair enough. It's a fairly common antiseptic and should be more than good enough :)
>>
>>792906
Forgot to say I try not to take drug whenever I feel something slightly wrong, and just let my body and time fight it. but should I put some light painkiller or something in my FAK?
>>
WEMT / Paramedic / SAR Tech here; what's it like having passed your basic and gone hiking for the first time?

Ops; why in god's name are you recommending a Sam splint?

Here's something more practical: know your equipment and know how to adapt.

I have a small pouch which has: band aids, a few pieces of gauze; single use packs of ointments / aspirin; small roll of tape; small sharpie.

Think of your common and simple problems: cuts, scrapes, burns, bites. Anything more can be avoided with planning and not taking dumb risks. Anything more that does happen can be taken care of with a belt, bandanas, and trekking poles/ sticks and rope.

Stop wasting weight on things that shouldn't happen.
>>
>>793078
SAM splint weighs 4 ounces, and takes up little space. I understand your mindset about risk assessment being more important though, I feel like not having to improvise on say a TQ is worth it's weight.
>>
>>793086
Ok Ricky
>>
If this thread is up tomorrow night I'll post my gear lists and rationale for what I carry.
>>
>>793088
Don't forget a cric kit, a full set of airways, and an LP15 in your kit just to be safe :)
>>
>>793093
If you're not carrying an Lp10 you might as well just let your pt code

Zoll X is fine too
>>
>>793108
Might as well bring a LUCAS too and extra batteries.
>>
>>791887
That guy was a paramedic, not an EMT.
>>
File: 20150728_215511.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150728_215511.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Here's my kit. Extra of a lot of stuff since I carry for several people when we hike.

Basically some wound care stuff, cling, syringe for irrigation, some benadryl and ibuprofen. Nothing crazy. Been a paramedic for 13 years.
>>
>>793185
There's something wrong with your carpet; it's got some kind of bird corpse on it. You might want to clean it up.
>>
>>791883
How would I treat a gun shot wound?
I have 7 B.O.B's and need gun shot wound treatment kits.
>>
>>791883
Hey opie do you get much time to go out as an emt?
How long did your cert take?
Did you got to a 4 year college to get a degree/do you plan to (outside of ems) If so how did you fit it into time?
What is your schedule/pay like?

Sorry if you answered any of these earlier if so go ahead and tell me to fuck off and read the thread, but I've got work in the mornong and it's a long thread des u
>>
>>791905
I find it simple enough to just pack an extra clean shirt in my backpack and if I injure myself badly enough to justify gauze it does plenty well. Not optimally sterile but I'm not really inclined on worrying so much and I always carry enough fresh water to rinse a wound.
>>
>>793249
remove bullet, pack the wound and make sure the cleaning is the most sterile thing you've ever done in your life. wet to dry dressing 2x a day and as needed.
>>
>>793254
nurse here with better job and pay ama
>>
>>792857
Doctor >>791906 here, i'd say that anon would've done the right thing, it's better than nothing and the guy was dying anyway
>>
>>793288
4 year BA?

Do you look at Nursing as a career?
>>
>>793292
Can't get deader.
>>
>>792567
doesn't matter it's not recommended for civilians to even try unless the limb is gone and you have to save a life. then anything works applying a tourniquet properly requires expertise your hikers won't have.

also a tourniquet can easily kill you if it is loosened outside a hospital. some moron might try to save a limb by releasing pressure from time to time but crushed muscle is deadly.

if there will be tourniquets in the future that self regulate the pressure and you just wrap them on a limb and turn them on sure in a larger kit it would be ok.
>>
>>791883
I like to bring oxy. Is that bad?
>>
>>791906
>all those Hebrew letters
>no Israeli Bandage
Well played.
>>
File: aspivenin-a.jpg (339KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
aspivenin-a.jpg
339KB, 1000x1000px
>>791883
>no venom pumping
That's gotta be in your bag if you're ever in snake/scorpios/spiders terrain.
>>
File: geeps_lrrh.png (29KB, 374x309px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_lrrh.png
29KB, 374x309px
>>793521
isn't venom pumping controversial (to say the least) and in fact largely considered pseudomedicine anon?
>>
>>793525
;_; in retrospect, you may be right.
I've used it many times when stung by bees or hornets, but I posted too quickly, it does seems the whole snake/scorpio thing is bullshit...
Sorry anons. (still, bretty good for insect stings...)
>>
File: fak1.jpg (111KB, 685x1487px) Image search: [Google]
fak1.jpg
111KB, 685x1487px
>>
File: fak2.jpg (680KB, 2443x2745px) Image search: [Google]
fak2.jpg
680KB, 2443x2745px
>>793533
>>
File: tick_con.jpg (41KB, 363x251px) Image search: [Google]
tick_con.jpg
41KB, 363x251px
>>793533
>>793538
>no anti-tick condom
>>
>>793549
that is beyond disturbing
>>
>>793566
that's why you rubber-up anon. every single time.
>>
>>793287
>remove bullet
Wrong. Unless you're a trauma surgeon with a full staff and an operating room, you should never remove a bullet. If they bleed out with the bullet in, they were going to bleed out anyways. You'll just do more harm than good
>>
Back again!
>>793185
That's an adorable pupper! Nice stuff too.
>>793249
Do everything possible to prevent infection, stop the bleeding, do not remove the bullet unlike some dude told you. Bad idea. Obviously seek immediate medical attention, even if it was just a .22 through your leg and you are sure it made it clean through.
>>793254
>time to go out
I """"volunteer"""" part time, both evenings and weekends. College student, earning a bachelor's in C.S. Working full time honestly just depends on your hours, but some places have awful shit schedules, with 24 and even 48 hour shifts. Depends entirely on where you work. We get a stipend so, technically my pay works out to around 10 to 20 bucks per hour.
>how long did the cert take
I took an accelerated summer course, but I honestly regret not taking a longer course, because the information was packed in very tightly, and it took me a month to be anywhere near competent enough to do my job.
>time
Working weekends is what really allows me to get work done. I typically get all school work done right after my classes are over and go for overnight shifts when possible, which is somewhat of a gamble, since sometimes it equates to a full nights rest, and sometimes to a shitshow.

I don't plan to pursue EMS as a full on career, but medicine generally is tempting. I would seriously recommend nursing though.

More answers forthcoming.
>>
>>793417
Applying a CAT is not difficult at all. I'll be sure to link some youtube videos in next thread. >>793521
The anon calling it pseudomedicine is correct. Recently read up on a thread made by a doctor who handles a lot of snake bite cases, and these things don't improve and sometimes worsen outcomes.
>>793538
You nurse or doctor (like your name suggests)? Pretty cool to see someone with a suture kit, though of course not recommended for someone that doesn't know how to actually suture.
>>
>>792460
Your best bet is to look for openings in the national ambulance service or Dublin Fire Brigade, who act as both firefighter and ambulance guy (EMTs and paramedkcs). Alas, they don't have a lot of funding to train someone from scratch.

Your best best bet is to sign up to your local order of Malta, St John's ambulance or civil defence and get them to train you. I was in the Order for years and I never knew one person to fail the entrance to DFB with that training. Fucking good fun and looks great on a CV in any case
>>
>>793028
Still trying to figure this out guys
>>
>>793028
>>793763
Typically unless you take something at home I wouldn't say it's necessery. Of course also don't take aspirin if you are bleeding.
>>793500
Do you know proper dosages? I'd not recommend it unless you have an Rx, and/or know what you are doing.
>>
File: 005.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
This is my first aid kit that I carry on short trips.

Assorted band-aids
antiseptic wipes
1 roll of compressed, sterile gauze
1 4x4 gauze pad
1 2x2 gauze pad
2 small Tergaderm film dressings
2 packs of Steristrip wound closure strips
1 roll of 3M Transpore tape
Coban cohesive bandage rolled around a piece of cardboard
1 sheet of moleskin
Loperamide HCL pills for diarrhea
1 Saljet normal saline rinse module for irrigation
1 pair MiraclePoint fine-tipped tweezers

All of this fits in a small Loksak waterproof baggie, which I highly recommend.

not shown
Pair of bandage shears
small bottle of Aleve
>>
>>791893
First respinders and nurses really get the shit end if the stick. FR get paid like with retarded hours and nurses get run into the ground
>>
>>793028
not, because you are more likely to be dehydrated outside than at home, and painkillers (unless opiates) tend to fuck your kidney sideways especially if you are dehydrated.
>>
>>793667
>Applying a CAT is not difficult at all.
not difficult i didn't say that i said it's probably pretty easy to fuck up on multiple levels if you don't know what you are doing.
>>
File: First Aid.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
First Aid.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
This is the one I keep on the boat. Not really something I put effort into, just collected and stuffed it full over the years. Done me well for the minor bullshit i scrape my elbows on. Don't really want to have to use it desu. TQ would be wise on the boat if I go offshore at all
>>
File: 1462812529189.png (266KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
1462812529189.png
266KB, 680x583px
>>791883
>yes good goy, buy my SAM splints
>ignore the paramedic training manual that says you can make splints out of pillows or pretty much anything
stop pushing the 23$ bendable Jew anon, you're not fooling anyone
>>
>>794493
What on earth are you on about lad
>>
>>794503
he's simply promoting a thrifty attitude
>>
>>793288

I've meet a lot of nurses at the hospital I work at....most of them are fucking retarded. You're probably retarded too.
>>
>>793549
thank god i still have my foreskin
>>
>>794493
kek
>>
>>794493
>Complains about SAM
>Doesn't buy the Dynarex functionally identical version for 6 bucks
>>
>>795155
so instead of deploying an anti-tick condom what do you do, just put a twist-tie around your foreskin?
>>
>>794712
Most nurses are fucking retarded in my experience
>be pacing a pt
>nurse yanks off leads
>pt dies

Our local ER nurses are so bad they got audited and now have to fill out paperwork so they'll listen to a full report from the paramedics instead of just blowing us off
>>
>>795301
While I wouldn't say they are stupid on average, I would say they have little to no understanding of the pre-hospital environment that EMS operates in, and this leads them to assume medics are stupid.
>>
>>791883
hockey tape
gauze
iodine
antibiotic ointment

want to get that stuff that doesnt stick to wounds...can't remember what it's called. You probably know. Got a deep cut in my hand and ER gave me a bunch of it. It's like a plastic mesh with vaseline on it.
>>
>>793549
Fuck. Genuine or trolling?
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.