[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad of an idea would it be for me to take my first backpacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: sj8nk320avvpydwv2qux.jpg (691KB, 1280x579px) Image search: [Google]
sj8nk320avvpydwv2qux.jpg
691KB, 1280x579px
How bad of an idea would it be for me to take my first backpacking trip alone?
I don't really have anyone I could go with, my girlfriend isn't exactly the outdoorsy type and plus she can't afford to buy a bunch of backpacking gear, and my friends certainly wouldn't be interested either
I'd do a one or two night trip and take plenty of precautions, but how dangerous would this be?
>>
>>788478
>how dangerous would this be?

That mostly depends on the location and what you are sharing it with.
>>
Have you done you research? My advice is this;
Know the area you're going to go, and tell at least one person from home. Tell them the time frames you are planning. Stick to your own time frames. Don't be afraid to call the trip. And of course have all your gear and a knowledge of LNT. It's always dangerous, keep risk mgmt in mind.
>>
>>788486
I live in New Mexico and would be looking at somewhere in Gila National Forest
As far as I know the only wildlife threats are bears
>>
>>788478
where do you live OP? Maybe you can find an out buddy in your area on here. I personally wouldn't go alone the first time.
>>
>>788496
>>788489
>>
I do overnight backpacking alone and have many friends that also do. Just take precautions: know the wildlife, the weather, carry a map and compass and have a phone to send a message to your partner at night to let them know you're okay (if there is service avaliable). Also if its appropriate contact the National Forest rangers and let them know of your trip and where you plan to be and when you plan to get home to let them know that you're okay.

its really not dangerous at all if you are careful and smart.
>>
>>788478

I don't think it's terribly dangerous so long as you take the regular precautions. Consider a popular overnight hike if you're hesitant.
>>
>>788489
Funny how paranoid this board is about wildlife as opposed to actual threats like weather, falls, and getting lost
>>
>>788478
Not trying to derail the thread but can anyone give me some good tips on my first overnight trip (alone) ? Gonna do 2-3 night backpacking trip alone in south/mid sweden bc i just had a really rough 2 months of my life + a big assigment so ive been inside for almost 2 months gotta get away.

Anyway; just want some general tips since ive been reading to many skinwalker threads... 24 years old btw pls no bully
>>
>>788607
do a 2 nighter not a 3 nighter for starters if you havent done an overnight trip in general.
wear comfy shoes, pack light but essential, let your friends know where you will be when and when you will contact them (so if you're more than 12-24 hours late they can contact authorities)
be smart with food - calorie rich food like poptarts are a good breakfast, but make sure you're still eating healthy so you dont get too lethargic
take lots of water. be careful of the weather. wildlife isnt going to hurt you and skinwalkers are not real. if anything gets you it will be a lack of preparedness or doing something silly.
there will be plenty of forums online or government documents by your forestry/parks department that should help choosing an easy but lovely first hiking route.

good luck
>>
>>788608
Thanks but ive done many hikes (some 6-7 nights hikes) and im 100% sure i could do one alone since i have all the gear.

But im also 100% certain that im gonna lay down in my sleepingbag and hear a rustle and a fox etc and then i cant sleep for the entire night. Should i just get a night without sleep is that normal the first time?
>>
>>788608
>>skinwalkers are not real

1. you've never been /out/.
2. you're a liar.

pick one, you degenerate.
>>
File: P2160626.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P2160626.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>788610
>i have all the gear
Warning! - anyone who thinks that reckons 'gear' is the solution.
A cheap pair of tracksuit pants and four 1.5L spring-water bottles and EXPERIENCE can "do one alone".
Friend , I am not saying that you can't ; but "all the gear" suggests the wrong focus.
You might be totally self-sufficient and cool in actual fact.
- and , yes , I hike alone always , and i don't have all the gear , i've got less.
I have never had a problem because of gear - only because of bad water-planning, or bad weather-monitoring, or bad daylight planning.
Yes , Yes , Yes my tent did cost $300 and my stove is Titanium but those have never been the issue.
I wish you well.
and Take Less!
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 604x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 604x377px
>>788478
My boyfriend isn't the outfoors type and I'm facing similar problems.

We went car camping and that was enough for him. He could never handle backpacking.

Too bad we live too far away. (New England here)
>>
>>788661
R u a gril?
>>
>>788610
Ear plugs or put on some music if you can fall asleep to it. And some booze or weed to ease the nerves.
>>
24 yr old that just did his first alone overnighter a couple weekends ago here.

I hunt, fly fish, backpack, gold pan. Love the outdoors just never did it alone before. It was funny how much my nerves had risen even though I had done the same thing many times before. My advice is the same as all the other anons. tell people where youre going, when you plan to return. know youre route, where you'll be camped each night.

Bring something to entertain yourself too. I bring a book for in tent entertainment. It's good if it's raining. I carve wood too.

You'll be fine anon. I'm going solo again this coming weekend. Not nearly as nervous as the first time I went.
>>
File: cyrus.jpg (65KB, 788x768px) Image search: [Google]
cyrus.jpg
65KB, 788x768px
>>788607

nine millimeter, safety always off
>>
>>788608
What's up with /out/ and poptarts?
>>788478
Bring nothing but peanuts
>>
>>789160
high calorie, low mess, no prep required.

they taste good melted, toasted, smushed, stale, or frozen. relatively long shelf life.

they come in meal/snack sized packages (as opposed to peanut butter, another hiker favourite, where you must carry the entire bulky ass jar with you even if you're only going on a two day hike; with pop tarts you can pack as many as you need plus extras)

a complex carbohydrate that gives you long-lasting energy would be preferable, but beans and lentils are not as convenient to eat on the trail as are pop tarts.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 528x1129px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 528x1129px
I'm thinking of doing a portion of the Appalachian Trail as my first backpacking trip.
Just 1-2 nights CT-MA.

Any thoughts on if this is a good first time route? I'll be alone as well.
>>
Hi guys im a chicano and some guys from /sp/ linked me to this board and told me to come here.
>>
>>789201
The big thing is knowing where you can spend the night. The trail goes through backyards and between farms and whatnot and for long swaths you technically aren't allowed to step off the trail itself, much less camp.
>>
File: welcome_out.png (2MB, 1000x751px) Image search: [Google]
welcome_out.png
2MB, 1000x751px
>>789203
Welcome to /out/ friend, we have a QTDDTOT thread please us it.
>>
>>789206
I've gotten the CT-MA trail map which has all the campsites listed and if there are fees assosiated. I was thinking of starting in Salisbury CT and heading North.
I don't have the map on me but I've picked a campsite just before Mt. Everett (iirc) to sleep the first night.
>>
>>789201

that fucking expression lmao
>yeeah, i think i'll have sumadem french fried peturders, MMHMMMMMMM
>>
>>788610
Personally, I'd just take a 500ml can of a strong IPA or some red wine. A little bit of booze after a day on your feet in the sun and you should be fine. Even the horrific hellish sounds of possums and koalas, I can easily put them out of my mind though. Just take an iPod if you're really that worried
>>788632
nah, I'm just an ecological scientist, not an overgrown baby. I do enjoy folklore though so if you wanna play pretend thats fine by me
>>789160
I don't actually eat them myself, but pretty much what the other guy said. Easy, tasty, convenient, light and very calorie rich. Wouldn't be the worst thing to have a few kicking around the pack just incase
>>
>>788610
>is that normal the first time?
Yes. You'll be fine, buddy.
>>
>>788661
Are you me?

I can't even get my husband to do day hikes without bitching too much. I was thinking about doing my first solo overnight in August-- a loop around Wild River in NH. Could always do it with a buddy though... where in New England are you? Boston area here.
>>
>>789180
You know they make peanut butter packets, right?
And almond butter, and hazelnut spread for that matter.
>>
>>789514
Haha West Roxbury!
>>
>>789518
If you ever want to take the chance and go hiking with another /out/ist, hit me up. I try to go /out/ every weekend in the summer. Hitting Imp Face on Saturday--super excited!

[email protected]
>>
>>789658
That sounds great :-)
I'm going outta state for a few weeks. Visiting family, car camping. I'll send you a message now so you have my email and when I get back from my trip.
>>
>>789516
i did not

i know they sell packets of powdered peanut butter; is that what you're referring to?
>>
File: JNB-00302-4.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
JNB-00302-4.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
>>789702
Pic related is what I was referring to. I've seen almond butter, peanut butter, choco peanut butter, hazelnut spread. There's probably more. I've seen it at Target and the local grocery chain. Pretty sure you can get them online too.
>>
i am considering a similar thing. I'd like to do a week of hiking in norway, through the hardangervidda. For what i've seen there are regularly huts on the way where i can restock water and supplies.
But the thing is, i have no overnight/backpack experience at all. I am doing some longer day hikes regularly (speak, once per week 20-25km), packed with some extra weight so i get used to carry stuff around. I'll also be doing a ~5 day backpack in england before (which would be my first backpack tour then) with a friend so i can get used to it.

Do you think its a good idea to do backpack hardangervidda alone with my rather limited experience? as you can see i wouldn't be totally unprepared, still worried a bit.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.